• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This thread is for factual updates on Hawaii Travel News - O.N.L.Y.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
This thread is for posting confirmed updates on Hawaii Travel - ONLY.

If you are posting info from an online news article, please post a link to the article: Just go to the article, click your browser bar, copy the link, and post it in your message on TUG.

---------------------------------------

Kauai will reopen its beaches Friday as part of a two-week pilot program that allows people to utilize the beach under certain restrictions designed to minimize the spread of COVID-19.....

Kauai Mayor Derek S.K. Kawakami also has signed an emergency rule to extend a mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for incoming passengers through June:

*If you are interested in Hawaii news, the Star Advertiser has a variety of free newsletters.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
This is probably what the OP in the other thread was referring to but he said Hawaii and not Kauai.

I have only been listening to the Governors daily news conferences.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the rest of the state will follow suit soon although Maui is especially hurt by the absence of tourist.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Update: "Kauai Mayor Derek S.K. Kawakami signed an emergency rule Wednesday to extend the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for incoming passengers to Kauai through June. Ige hasn’t indicated if he’ll extend the state’s quarantine past May 31, but did approve Kawakami’s request."

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised 12% of those coming were for vacations (at least on the one day cited). 14 day quarantine is a big problem, I wouldn't go. I suppose if you had 8 weeks it wouldn't be so bad. I just can't imagine dealing with 14 days. Other than people with a lot of weeks, what type of person would go there for vacation!? Genuinely asking. Do they think they will avoid the rules perhaps? It's just strange, but maybe I am missing something.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I'm surprised 12% of those coming were for vacations (at least on the one day cited). 14 day quarantine is a big problem, I wouldn't go. I suppose if you had 8 weeks it wouldn't be so bad. I just can't imagine dealing with 14 days. Other than people with a lot of weeks, what type of person would go there for vacation!? Genuinely asking. Do they think they will avoid the rules perhaps? It's just strange, but maybe I am missing something.

I have been wondering about that too.. i can't imagine going on vacation to Hawaii or anywhere if i had to go though a long quarantine...

I am guess people think its the same as the Shelter in Place, or perhaps are just planning to sneak out...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update: "Gov. David Ige plans to extend Hawaii’s safer-at-home order through June 30."

“I’ve told the mayors that my intention is to extend the safer-at-home mandate through the end of June. We will be looking at different components of what that means. Certainly we will be extending the 14-day mandatory quarantine for all travel into the state till the end of June, but there are other businesses and activities that we are looking at that are medium risk activities that we’ll look at reopening,” Ige said today."

I have no doubt that he will eventually extend it through July and August.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yes, I just heard this also. He really didn’t give any hints about when inter-island would open. Listening to Mayor Caldwell it sounded like that might not even happen in July.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets extended again either but the pressure will really ramp up in another month.

JulieAB

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lifetime in Hawaii, Disney's Grand Californian
Heard the news tonight and we're so so sad! Our June trip was already rescheduled from December so we've been looking forward to this for a long time! We want to reschedule again, of course, but have no clue what month to pick (sooner than later in our opinion)!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Would they be airlifted or would they just die for lack of appropriate care. Nursing homes in New York have had cases where people get the virus and are dying there instead being brought to a Hospital.
That's an unanswerable question. Let's say a tourist on Maui presents with symptoms. Tests positive. The hospital there is in Kahului, 45 minutes from Kaanapali. They have relatively few ICU beds. Do they airlift the patient to Honolulu or the mainland? Do they discharge them to go back to the TS or hotel and say, "Good Luck, Hope you get better.'? THAT'S the scenario the governor is trying to avoid by holding the 14 day quarantine in place.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
This may have been a good argument 2 months ago but Hawaii had a lot of time to improve its capacity. For one, they had no way of knowing for sure their numbers would be low so they should have prepared for the worst case scenario. How many ventilators have they ordered? How can the number of ICU beds be the same as in March? Additionally, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers can build a hospital in 2 days and there is no evidence Hawaii asked for help in case the number of C19 increases.

To me it looks just like a pretext.
The biggest challenge they face in terms of increasing capacity, is not a shortage of equipment i.e ventilators. The problem is the lack of skilled personnel to staff additional beds. Hawaii was facing a doctor shortage long before this pandemic. They were working to bring some doctors out of retirement, but they still wouldn't have enough to deal with the surge of even a mild outbreak.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Nobody explains how this will eliminate the risk, let alone the governor:

1) a large number of tests are false positive or false negative
2) even with reliable testing, depending when one gets infected, a person can be negative today right at the onset and get sick 3 days after and spread the virus. Some tested negative the first time but positive the second, the third or the fourth time.

I said: "The 14 day quarantine for Tourists needs to continue until some type of testing before getting on the plane can be implemented."

I am not sure that your comment that nobody explains how this will eliminate the risk refers to the 14 day quarantine or efficency or lack of efficiency of the testing.

If you are referring to the 14 day quarantine, it is clear that it has drastically reduced the number of tourists coming to Hawaii who could bring the virus there and contaminate other people.

If you are referring to the lack of efficiency of the testing then you need to ask why they are spending so much time and money on testing if the testing doesn't provide reliable information on how to proceed. If the there is a period of 3 days that a person can be ill with the virus before the test shows a positive then the test needs to be given 3 days before.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
On that note, I've been wondering how Hawaii has been responding to this crisis may be impacting the longer term desirability of visiting the islands.
For a state so dependent on tourism, there seem to be a significant portion of their population bent on damaging that desirability.
Maybe the locals can grow gardens, fish in the ocean and catch chickens to eat - if they stay out of work long they are going to need to develop new survival skills. Hawaii might return to being low key rural islands if they stay on lockdown for months or even years (since some say they should lock down until a cure is found which could take years). If lockdowns go on indefinitely I would think many citizens would have to move to the mainland to survive. A state or city that locks down indefinitely would probably see people leaving to make a living elsewhere.

When I was a child my family had to leave our home state and go live with grandparents on their farm in another state because jobs were scarce at home. We planted a garden, raised chickens and we had milk cows.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to the lack of efficiency of the testing then you need to ask why they are spending so much time and money on testing if the testing doesn't provide reliable information on how to proceed. If the there is a period of 3 days that a person can be ill with the virus before the test shows a positive then the test needs to be given 3 days before.
Did we see any study about the "ideal" number of days before? Has any study estimated how many infected people would actually still go through (between false negatives and being infected after the test) even if tested at the optimum time?

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Maybe the locals can grow gardens, fish and catch chickens - if they stay out of work long they are going to need to develop new survival skills. Maybe Hawaii will return to low key rural islands if they stay on lockdown for months or years.

HaHaHa, few locals are really Hawaiian. Most people in Hawaii are from or have a great percentage of their roots from Asia, North American, or Europe. The people who call Hawaii home are as likely to return to low key rural islands as you or I are. As I said earlier I can see both sides of the stay closed to tourists or open up to tourists arguments. I am glad I am not the person who needs to make the decision.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Danny - I am tired of you. You are just posting the same old thing over and over on all of the TUG threads about the Coronavirus - go find something else to do. I mean it - don't post in this thread again.
Avoid posting duplicate messages: Choose the most appropriate forum for your message and place it there and only there. Posting the same message in multiple forums spreads the replies around to different parts of the board and makes them much harder to locate later. If your message does not fit with the stated theme of any of the other forums, please place it in the TUG Lounge forum. This is a special place for "Idle Chit Chat", notices of member meetings, etc. Duplicate posts will be removed when found.

Everyone - this forum is not for your Coronavirus conspiracy theories and political views - just stop!
Avoid posting about politics, religion, or contentious social issues: Unless directly related to timesharing, such discussions are prohibited in these forums, including TUG Lounge. We've been down that road before, it was ugly, and we are not going there again.

Last edited:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I just hope I don’t have to cancel my trip in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just saw we can go to the beach here now to sunbath. Masks and social distancing. I may take a walk down there on Saturday or Sunday.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Enjoy it. I personally don't agree with the mask aspect. Like sleeping with the covers over your head. But please don't break the law and risk a fine or jail.
We have been going to the beach here on the west coast of Florida and breathing in the fresh clean air with no mask. It's rejuvenating.

The latest article I read said masks are not going to be required on the beach. Just social distancing. Rules change so fast it is hard to keep up.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This thread is for updates on Hawaii TRAVEL only - everything else will be deleted. This is not the place for policy debates, politics, or conspiricy theories.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update from the Star Advertiser-
Masks on the Beach: "Asked whether beachgoers must wear masks, “face coverings are not mandated when relaxing on the beach,” said Alexander Zannes, the mayor’s communications director in an email, adding, “We highly recommend people wear face coverings whenever they are out in public.”

Dining: "Also on Friday, Caldwell announced Ige had approved the opening of restaurants on Oahu to dine-in services starting June 5, with certain restrictions that are still being finalized and will be released next week."

Please note: Travelers and Hawaiian residents returning to Hawaii are still required to complete 14 days of in-house quarantine - the relaxed rules regarding outdoor activities only apply to nonquarantined individuals.

More Info: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020...ewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=local

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This thread is for updates on Hawaii Travel O-N-L-Y, so I have moved some posts to the "Will Hawaii be open in July?," thread, and deleted others.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I looked at the HGVC website today and HGVC club members have the ability to reserve nights at all the resorts starting June 18th. There is lots of availability in all buildings including the Lagoon Tower which usually sells out first. With the 14 day quarantine still in place I wonder how many guests they will be getting. Perhaps they know something we don't know.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I looked at the HGVC website today and HGVC club members have the ability to reserve nights at all the resorts starting June 18th. There is lots of availability in all buildings including the Lagoon Tower which usually sells out first. With the 14 day quarantine still in place I wonder how many guests they will be getting. Perhaps they know something we don't know.

That could be in preparation for inter-island flights being open. :shrug:

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That could be in preparation for inter-island flights being open. :shrug:

Since the 14 day quarantine is in effect they will be looking at people from the islands booking. While the inter-island flights will bring some guests, there are about 400,000 people on those islands. Oahu has about a million people and many of them do come to the Hilton Hawaiian Village during normal times for discounted staycations. I am sure they would come now with some nice discounts.