• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This thread is for factual updates on Hawaii Travel News - O.N.L.Y.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Like the article says, I have been hearing June 1st for Inter-island to open up but on the conference today he said he will make an announcement in a couple days. Well that’s pretty close to June 1st so we will see. I would be happy with June 5th.

I may still make it to Molokai for my birthday toward the end of June.:banana:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

Kapolei

Reaction score

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Ironman World Championship triathlon rescheduled for February

By Tovin Lapan / Hawaii / Travel Weekly / www.travelweekly.com / May 28, 2020

“The Ironman World Championship, the pinnacle for long-distance triathletes, will not be held this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Originally scheduled for Oct. 10, the race is now slated to be held Feb. 6, 2021, parent company World Triathlon Corporation announced in a statement....”

209C193F-CB06-43C6-8038-9DE8F6ECF8BD.jpeg

The Ironman World Championship, originally scheduled for October, has been postponed until February 2021. Photo Credit: HTA/Kirk Lee Aeder / Travel Weekly

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Ironman World Championship triathlon rescheduled for February

By Tovin Lapan / Hawaii / Travel Weekly / www.travelweekly.com / May 28, 2020

“The Ironman World Championship, the pinnacle for long-distance triathletes, will not be held this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Originally scheduled for Oct. 10, the race is now slated to be held Feb. 6, 2021, parent company World Triathlon Corporation announced in a statement....”

View attachment 21574
The Ironman World Championship, originally scheduled for October, has been postponed until February 2021. Photo Credit: HTA/Kirk Lee Aeder / Travel Weekly

Oh boy...that's the day we are supposed to arrive in Kona from Maui for a week at HGVC Kings Land in Waikoloa. The good news I guess is that whatever feedback they got from the State of Hawaii on setting the new date means at least they think there is a good chance the islands will be reopened by then. The bad news is getting from the airport to Waikoloa may be incredibly hard.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Oh boy...that's the day we are supposed to arrive in Kona from Maui for a week at HGVC Kings Land in Waikoloa. The good news I guess is that whatever feedback they got from the State of Hawaii on setting the new date means at least they think there is a good chance the islands will be reopened by then. The bad news is getting from the airport to Waikoloa may be incredibly hard.
You may want to consider getting a late flight from OGG to KOA as the road will be closed during the ironman. From last year:
Road closure schedule for the 2019 Kona Ironman Triathlon
  • Queen Kaahumanu Highway (Route 19) – All lanes closed in both directions between Palani Road and Kaiminani Drive from 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. ...
  • Queen Kaahumanu Highway (Route 19) – All lanes closed in both directions between Kawaihae Road and Kaiminani Drive from 7 a.m. to 6:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct.
Oct 10, 2019

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
The good news I guess is that whatever feedback they got from the State of Hawaii on setting the new date means at least they think there is a good chance the islands will be reopened by then.
That's the curious part. Story doesn't say anything about that, only that it gives sufficient time. What I wonder about is how that relates to the limit on gatherings of 10 or more. Do they have some reason to believe the State will be loosening that by then? Or are they just hoping? (My step-daughter is scheduled to be married in Hana Nov. 7. But we're unsure about the 10 or more limit.)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
"Gov. David Ige is expected to announce the lifting of the interisland quarantine this afternoon, he said on the Honolulu Star-Advertiser’s COVID-19 Care Conversation. Interisland travelers, however, will undergo health screenings, a temperature scan and paperwork on their travel history, residence, and where they will be staying on the island “so we can know where you came from and where you traveled to” and make sure that “no one has traveled to out of state and visited any of the other communities where the virus has actively been circulated.”

"On reopening trans-Pacific travel, Ige said authorities will focus on communities with low virus incidence first, including New Zealand and Australia “as first candidates that we would be interested in,” and “obviously from an economic perspective, Japan and South Korea.”

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Listening to it now. Might be making Molokai plans today.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He just said the details will be coming out later this afternoon on Inter-Island travel. It is 12:15pm here now.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
[Response to moved thread, redacted.]

Last edited by a moderator:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Gov. Ige released his reopening plan today, but it doesn't contain any specifics for lifting the 14 day quarantine. My guess is that it is dependent on the plan that that the state legislature funded on Friday, for monitoring incoming travelers at the airport. It reiterates that the 14 day quarantine is extended until the end of June, but that is the same extension that was announced last Thursday:

Even though this is two weeks old (May 18th) I had not seen this until today. This was the pack of slides the Governor used during his May 18th presentation of his reopening plan.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
[Deleted - off topic]

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
[Response to deleted post, deleted]

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
[csojdj - let me familiarize you with the TUG posting rules.]
Do not enter complaints about moderation into BBS messages. Such posts will be considered off-topic and will be removed. Any such complaints or discussion should be communicated to the bbs staff directly via email or personal message.

[Also - since Jeff is located IN Honolulu, I appreciate his unique point of view, and brief comments are fine. What I do mind is long-winded posts debating the merits of the news. I have repeatedly asked you not to post that kind of post here.

If you feel you have been treated unfairly, feel free to contact TUG owner, TUG Brian. DeniseM]

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Governor Ige just announced opening Inter-island travel on June 16th with thermal scanning, temperature taking and a form for health and where you have traveled and where you are going to be staying.

Governor Ige also just said he will make an announcement in a week or so about travel between some International places and the Mainland to Hawaii.

Here’s a link to the Inter-island announcement.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/...eline-lifting-quarantine-inter-island-travel/

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Governor Ige just announced opening Inter-island travel on June 16th with thermal scanning, temperature taking and a form for health and where you have traveled and where you are going to be staying.
So, you're going home for your birthday? :cheer:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking at the calendar, I think we’re are going to try to go on 06-27-20 and return 07-12-20. Birthday is the 28th. I will be flying Mokulele. I can post my experience here if you like or I can start another thread. @DeniseM

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jeff - why don't you do a separate thread just about your trip - Tuggers enjoy your trip reports!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Jeff - why don't you do a separate thread just about your trip - Tuggers enjoy your trip reports!

Will do. I meant my airport experience. I got ahead of my self.

I will try to be a picture of the form that will have to be filled out and I will post it in that thread. Sounds like the form will be similar to the one mainlanders will have to fill out.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Will do. I meant my airport experience. I got ahead of my self.

I will try to be a picture of the form that will have to be filled out and I will post it in that thread. Sounds like the form will be similar to the one mainlanders will have to fill out.
Hey Jeff, how long ago was it that you were a mainlander? :p

@DeniseM sorry I know this doesn't belong here, but I couldn't resist.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Factual picture from Marriott Ko Olina 6:55PM Monday June 1st (Kind of like groundhog day for us now)

1591073863961.png

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Now that Gov. David Ige has announced the lifting of the 14-day quarantine for interisland travelers starting on June 16, attention turns next to when the state will take similar steps for domestic and international passengers.

Ige said at a news briefing yesterday at the Honolulu international airport that he plans to make an announcement next week regarding out-of-state and trans-Pacific travelers. They will remain under the mandatory quarantine order for the time being.

Those from out of state still need to abide by the quarantine even if they take an interisland flight after they arrive from other states or countries.

As tourism reopens, the governor said the state will want to focus on domestic locations and countries that have contained COVID-19 cases as Hawaii has and that have similar screening and contact tracing in place.

Last week, a group of business representatives led by Central Pacific Bank executive Paul Yonamine suggested that a "travel bubble" between Hawaii and Japan could be established to exchange tourists. They pointed to the relatively low numbers of new COVID-19 cases among the Japanese and their adherence to safety rules.

California, while one of Hawaii's largest visitor markets, still reports thousands of new cases weekly, which is a cause for concern, the governor said.

Ige said other economies that have opened too quickly have seen secondary spikes. Some have been forced to reimpose restrictions that had been eased.

Even if the state reopens carefully, officials expect the number of COVID-19 cases will rise once again as travel is freely allowed, so it been taking steps to prepare for increasing numbers of visitors.

The state said the Department of Health has begun training 500 new contact tracers while "exploring other screening and testing procedures."

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark