• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Logic of My Mind: Masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We still Mask and Glove up for all store visits. It would be a shame if one of us turned out to be an asymptomatic carrier and spread COVID19 to our loved ones by accident. Also you can spread it for 5 to 14 days before you show symptoms. ¿What is so hard with taking simple precautions for your family?

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
A friend of mine sent us 2 cloth masks she made. We used them today when we went into an old country store here. Both of us had fogged up glasses and it made us get hot and was so hard to breathe and enjoy perusing around the store for purchases. My husband had to go outside and wait for me. (Heck- he even used the porta potty outside- which I told him not to, but he is having issues in that "department" lately if you know what I mean- and he couldn't wait until he got home. The surgical masks are much more comfortable, though I cough with those.

The cashier wanted to know if I wanted a glove as she handed me my credit card and receipt. I said no. It's ridiculous- I have to wipe it any way and put it in my wallet. In the store I had to touch some things to see if I wanted them or not. I can't clean them or my hands or the gloves each time! How does that work?

I don't do gloves any more. I figure I have to wash or wipe my hands any way so I don't bother unless I have a cut on my hand or something. When we took the masks off we just threw them on the dash board in the sun as we drove home.No I did not wipe down the dashboard. My husband initially just pulled his off and stuffed it into his pocket. LOL! He can't deal with these new habits understandably. It is neurosis to the max!

We didn't have to wear masks inside but just did so as a courtesy to others so they do not freak out, otherwise we wouldn't.

The whole thing is a big pain in the ars8(&s. So is cleaning down everything when you get in the car and at home. I can't keep up and I am just about done with it now. Whatever happens to me happens to me. I am going to enjoy whatever I can and I am careful but not obsessive with this and not worrying about it.

I'm wearing a mask with a bendable band across the nose and have never had my glasses fog.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The point to my posts is to expand the picture. Like your post with the video. It expanded the picture. It was educational.

From the information here we see masks aren't a magic bullet. You can be standing next to a masked sneezer who doesn't have Covid while you are holding a box of Cheerios touched by someone sick who fiddled with their mask. Especially if you're also fiddling with your mask. Therefore, the sense of security is false.

Do I think people should wear masks? I'm not getting into that because what I think isn't the appropriate education. In fact, any post that begins "I think" is a good one for me to skip. JMO. I'd rather keep gathering info to add to my thinking as I go through this pandemic.

You want masks because you are concerned surviving the pandemic.

For those who are concerned about surviving this or other viruses here are more things to consider educational. Various strains of flu are already with us. More viruses are on the way. Is it just as responsible to educate in building immunity so shut downs don't have to be mandatory?

Let me just say that, personally, I believe that Luanne's earlier post best sums up my reasons for wearing a mask in public when others are nearby. I think it bears repeating:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 7.28.43 AM.png

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I'm wearing a mask with a bendable band across the nose and have never had my glasses fog.

That’s good. But I have what I have. Will put up with it for now until I stop wearing them altogether.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
A friend of mine sent us 2 cloth masks she made. We used them today when we went into an old country store here. Both of us had fogged up glasses and it made us get hot and was so hard to breathe and enjoy perusing around the store for purchases. My husband had to go outside and wait for me. (Heck- he even used the porta potty outside- which I told him not to, but he is having issues in that "department" lately if you know what I mean- and he couldn't wait until he got home. The surgical masks are much more comfortable, though I cough with those.

The cashier wanted to know if I wanted a glove as she handed me my credit card and receipt. I said no. It's ridiculous- I have to wipe it any way and put it in my wallet. In the store I had to touch some things to see if I wanted them or not. I can't clean them or my hands or the gloves each time! How does that work?

I don't do gloves any more. I figure I have to wash or wipe my hands any way so I don't bother unless I have a cut on my hand or something. When we took the masks off we just threw them on the dash board in the sun as we drove home.No I did not wipe down the dashboard. My husband initially just pulled his off and stuffed it into his pocket. LOL! He can't deal with these new habits understandably. It is neurosis to the max!

We didn't have to wear masks inside but just did so as a courtesy to others so they do not freak out, otherwise we wouldn't.

The whole thing is a big pain in the ars8(&s. So is cleaning down everything when you get in the car and at home. I can't keep up and I am just about done with it now. Whatever happens to me happens to me. I am going to enjoy whatever I can and I am careful but not obsessive with this and not worrying about it.

Winni, that was my problem with my cloth masks, my glasses fogged up and I was running into things and the fact that they heated me up so badly was worrisome for me as I already have high blood pressure and getting that hot is bad for me. I did get some disposable masks and these work so much better now I will have to order more of these so that I have stock in hand...

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s good. But I have what I have. Will put up with it for now until I stop wearing them altogether.

Some of our stores are handing out masks. Not sure that they have the bendable nose piece but at least a source of an additional mask.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

This looks interesting....

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
This is why educating the public is important

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is why educating the public is important

This is why I love TUG. I had not seen this before. Thank you. We have a few N95s with the valve and will tape them if we ever use them (hopefully never because that would mean we are ill).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I haven't had time to read this entire thread so perhaps this was stated previously. My view is this (from @Panina previous article):

Aronoff compared the mask guidance to the ban on smoking cigarettes in restaurants or schools.
"There are rules about not smoking in enclosed restaurants and bars because that smoke can be deleterious to someone else's health," he said. "Now we're in a situation where, if I'm infected with the Covid-19 virus, my breath can be lethal to someone else."

IMHO...Not wearing a mask in the grocery store or restaurant is unsanitary. Do you want people breathing germs on your food? Yuck! Wearing a mask is a matter of courtesy and personal hygiene so people are not breathing germs (covid or non-covid) on others' food. It's no different than shirts and shoes required in restaurants, or taking a shower and applying deodorant before boarding a packed plane or subway. This is perhaps why Asians continued to wear masks after SARS. SARS changed the norms.

Last edited:

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
This has bothered me since the start of this virus.

I constantly hear and read that wearing a mask doesn’t protect me but protects others from me if I am sick.

It just doesn’t logically make sense to me. The logic in my mind thinks if the infected person is not wearing a mask and if I am wearing a mask I have more protection then not wearing one at all.

After all, surgical masks and 95s have been worn in the health care industry to prevent the spread of various infections. It doesn’t make sense to me that masks are important for health care workers but not useful for the public.

My brain tells me if everyone wore a mask, it can reduce the transmission and we would all be safer. Do I have a study to prove it, no, just the logic of my brain.

Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong. Meanwhile I will go about doing what I need to and keep wearing my mask.

I believe the science. The majority of people where I live wear masks when shopping, walking their dogs and other public areas. Without a doubt it is why we have been able to contain this virus. My eyes are on those areas that have re-opened. Let's see where they are in two to three weeks.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our governor in New Mexico just said face masks will be required for some essential workers – including grocery store and restaurant employees – starting Wednesday.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I believe the science. The majority of people where I live wear masks when shopping, walking their dogs and other public areas. Without a doubt it is why we have been able to contain this virus. My eyes are on those areas that have re-opened. Let's see where they are in two to three weeks.

Yes. Of course, the numbers were increasing last week in the states that are reopening. Even with immediate SIP orders in those states, that the rates will increase in two or three weeks is inevitable. Truly sad it’s come to this, and we are still at the beginning of this pandemic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
We are not the only ones who disagree, the scientists have different opinions too.

This article summarizes why I am skeptical of masks. I keep hearing contradictory information by the experts. First they said masks do not work, then they said they recommend wearing masks. But the evidence is inconclusive. I wear a mask in public to make other people more comfortable and to avoid social shaming but I am not yet convinced the science supports it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have an idea. Maybe we need to start promoting masks as a fashion statement. Perhaps more people, especially young people, will start wearing masks if it is deemed trendy and cool!

geekette

Reaction score
This article summarizes why I am skeptical of masks. I keep hearing contradictory information by the experts. First they said masks do not work, then they said they recommend wearing masks. But the evidence is inconclusive. I wear a mask in public to make other people more comfortable and to avoid social shaming but I am not yet convinced the science supports it.
I think the visual showing the cough in green and how it gets stopped is enough science support. Nobody is saying these cheap cloth masks are Ultimate Protection, they are merely a simple barrier so everyone can keep their fluids to themselves.

early on, nobody thought we needed masks, but that was before it was known how very contagious, and that there could be asymptomatic spread. There was also concern that the public would grab up what the med folks needed so there was a bit of a .... discouragement campaign, I guess I would say.

Brett

Reaction score
I have an idea. Maybe we need to start promoting masks as a fashion statement. Perhaps more people, especially young people, will start wearing masks if it is deemed trendy and cool!

I think they are already are (masks as fashion accessory) - or promoting other things
https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...-posts-video-of-quarrel-with-santee-deputies/

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Reactions: jme

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I haven’t talked too much about the virus but I really think the benefits to wearing the masks/face coverings are being over stated here. The social distancing is way more important. Walking by someone is an extremely low risk activity. Being within a few feet of someone and grabbing a can of corn and then walking away is again extremely low risk, mask or no mask.
If you are a high risk person by all means wear a mask or better yet stay home. I wear a mask here because they are mandatory. As soon as they are not, I will not be wearing one.

Totally inaccurate!
Scientific studies show droplets and mist from cough or sneeze can travel 20+ feet (scientific video animations are rampant on the internet),
so social distancing definitely helps, but is not a guarantee by any means.
Even talking can cause breath to travel beyond 6 ft. Walking by someone in a store, etc does the same, or jogging behind them, etc.

And the real point is twofold, it benefits not only the mask wearer for prevention, but those that DON'T WEAR MASKS are more likely
to transmit the virus to others (might be asymptomatic), so it's really not a personal choice or "opinion" question anymore when it affects others.

(Good job, Panina)
Online this morning:
"Wearing a face mask can reduce coronavirus transmission
by up to 75 percent, study says"

More evidence that counters the non-believers (something we've known all along):

Attachments

• 1589974550287.gif
    1589974550287.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 10
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.