• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The $99.00 ripoff. [MERGED]

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that many, if not most, members of TUG have been negatively impacted with regard to their timeshare use. What we should not do IMHO is pile on the OP. The poster feels a loss, anger, and frustration. I am sorry that he lost his week. I am sorry that I lost my weeks and rental income. I am sorry that Covid-19 has caused so much pain, anger, and frustration among all of us. Let us try to be kind to each other.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
The governing docs give Marriott the rights to all inventory that's unbooked within X-number-of-days (X usually being 75) which they normally offer for rentals and reap the profit. I think Marriott's instead making that inventory available as last-minute intervals for those with DC Holding Account points and the COVID-related II certs. There's probably some consternation that Marriott is likely still reaping some profit over and above whatever the II processing fees are for these $99 exchanges, but it's certainly a whole lot less than they could be making from this particular inventory pool.
This action is what made me change my tune towards MVC. They are sacrificing some profit to help the vast number of owners impacted.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I believe that many, if not most, members of TUG have been negatively impacted with regard to their timeshare use. What we should not do IMHO is pile on the OP. The poster feels a loss, anger, and frustration. I am sorry that he lost his week. I am sorry that I lost my weeks and rental income. I am sorry that Covid-19 has caused so much pain, anger, and frustration among all of us. Let us try to be kind to each other.

Great point. We've all lost SOMETHING due to this crisis. Thankfully for the vast majority of us it's just disposable income and inconvenience and memories, but that doesn't mean it doesn't sting and we shouldn't be allowed to say "you know, this really sucks."

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree though I think we can do so AND discuss the objective reality of the situation. We've all been affected though some more than others and we will all be affected for years to come. OTOH one needs to understand the risks and commitments that come with owning a timeshare and some clearly do not.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think there will be a multi year push forward of use years. Meaning, if I have a bundle of points or even banked weeks from this year that are restricted to 120 days but can be used through 2021, I may also be more included to bank my 2021 points to burn off those expiring points. That may then have a domino effect for a couple more years down the road. Banked points don't have the same restrictions as those Holding Account points and it may make 2022 a little more challenging.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
You know, I didn't want to turn this into how I'm personally affected or into a competition about who is losing the most. But after my post above I've gotten private criticisms that all say the same thing, "it's easy to criticize others if you're not the one losing" and now I'm angry.

I have three impacted reservations comprising 14,800 DC Points, some of which are going into a Holding Account and may be lost forever.

Be careful slinging mud if you don't want to get dirty.
relax........stay calm.........its not worth getting upset

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yes, 2021 going to be very interesting. As little as some believe they have done, we'll see if it actually wasn't too much!
Exactly. Where are these weeks coming from that are (theoretically) tied to these certificates (I doubt any are)? Sue refers to some Marriott inventory, but that's just a guess, and certainly not enough to cover the tens of thousands of weeks that just went up in smoke unused. Those weeks are gone, plain and simple, you can't go back in time and resurrect them.

I fear this is a giant shell game that will end up hurting those who had actual weeks deposits that were used and are being traded for. MVC is handing out these certificates, but where will all the weeks come from to fulfill exchanges? Why should people who deposited an actual week now have to subsidize those whose weeks are lost (I know, I know, we're all in this together and the collective good, trumps individual rights...)

MVC didn't release COVID upon the timeshare world. If they are doing anything at all, that's purely a goodwill gesture that they don't have to. But it likely will affect those with legitimate deposits into II.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Deposits at least can be used outside of mvci (I presume those certs can?). There's some weeks there perhaps. But with some of the other major companies also pushing things forward, I think it's going to be brutal. I'll probably be ok as I venture outside of Marriott and also do shoulder seasons which some simply can't do.

And this is best case scenario anyway (as bad as it seems), imagine if the pandemic does continue well into 2021, second wave, Etc, then what? The shell game becomes impossible to continue. Train wreck. Totally agree those with real week deposits shouldn't subsidize those with certs. The certs are limited to 120 days out though.

Not sure if points will be any better or not. There could be some gaming done there with "inventory". Many unknowns.

The only known is continuing to offer weeks for lost weeks is not sustainable. Despite this, they extended the cert thing until July 1 now, and counting! Cert people will be disappointed once they go to use them, at least some will.

Last edited:

normab

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don’t believe anyone is piling on, but here goes....

Speaking for myself...(as in, my opinion)

With all DUE respect, I feel the pain of those who have lost Loved ones, and jobs, not a loss of a week of timeshare. I also own multiple weeks and lost out on vacations we looked forward to. I have spent hours tryIng to figure out how we will use the credits we have been given, but no whining here, I’m trying to make lemonade out of lemons....as most folks here are doing.

No one here is UNKIND, but perhaps we have perspective of the gravity of the losses. All losses are not the same. Although I can see if someone is tight for money they might be very upset. But all the money in the world can’t bring back some who you have lost.

Do you see a difference or do you think a loss of a week of timeshare is the same as a loss of a parent or spouse or friend? It’s the relative depth of the loss here....

In life, the successful folks are the ones who accept adversity, and use their resilience to solve problems. I view the loss of a timeshare week as adversity, a problem, a material loss. E.g. you can make a decision whether or not timesharing or using timeshares to make money is right for you. Losing a human life close to you is not a problem to be solved. It’s a loss that you cannot change or fix, but only can grieve. Therefore I see a huge difference in the gravity of the loss...

It’s not unkind to see the difference here, and again, keeping perspective is important. This Covid problem will pass.

If you find my opinion “Unkind“, well, you are entitled to your opinion. Just as I’m entitled to mine. It’s not right or wrong, good or bad. It just is... That’s how opinions work, no matter what anyone has told you.;)

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
In life, the successful folks are the ones who accept adversity, and use their resilience to solve problems. I view the loss of a timeshare week as adversity, a problem, a material loss. E.g. you can make a decision whether or not timesharing or using timeshares to make money is right for you. Losing a human life close to you is not a problem to be solved. It’s a loss that you cannot change or fix, but only can grieve. Therefore I see a huge difference in the gravity of the loss...

Well said...

George

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

With all DUE respect, I feel the pain of those who have lost Loved ones, and jobs, not a loss of a week of timeshare. I also own multiple weeks and lost out on vacations we looked forward to. I have spent hours tryIng to figure out how we will use the credits we have been given, but no whining here, I’m trying to make lemonade out of lemons....as most folks here are doing.

No one here is UNKIND, but perhaps we have perspective of the gravity of the losses. All losses are not the same. Although I can see if someone is tight for money they might be very upset. But all the money in the world can’t bring back some who you have lost.

Do you see a difference or do you think a loss of a week of timeshare is the same as a loss of a parent or spouse or friend? It’s the relative depth of the loss here....

It’s not unkind to see the difference here, and again, keeping perspective is important. This Covid problem will pass.

If you find my opinion “Unkind“, well, you are entitled to your opinion. Just as I’m entitled to mine. It’s not right or wrong, good or bad. It just is... That’s how opinions work, no matter what anyone has told you.;)
Thanks for the post. I'm actually really tired of everyone who complains about Marriott, II, etc. This isn't any different than if a hurricane wiped out a few resorts and people didn't have travel insurance. I lost a family trip to Hilton Head in May after my son's graduation (he had no ceremony). I had to put three weeks into the II purgatory. That sucked at the time. I now have to roll them 60 days at a time. You know what.......I got two consecutive weeks at Grande Ocean in mid July when everyone kept cancelling. I'm a happy camper again. It's all what you make of it. Life is about the good things. Forget the bad stuff and move on.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Thank you f

Thank you for putting it all into perspective

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find your statement about “ I am tired of whining” as being unkind. That is my opinion

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Has anyone else had their week replacement II certificate extended to end of the year instead of 120 days out??

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Has anyone else had their week replacement II certificate extended to end of the year instead of 120 days out??
The 120 is how many days in advance you can book. The expiration should be December 2020. They aren't changing the 120 days. Perhaps you are just seeing one of these freebie ACs?

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my replacement certificate a while back. It had an expiration date of December 2020 and I could see all the way into December. This was for a week that I had to cancel which was originally a week-to-week trade in II.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
The 120 is how many days in advance you can book. The expiration should be December 2020. They aren't changing the 120 days. Perhaps you are just seeing one of these freebie ACs?

No it’s my replacement certificate that expires dec 2021 but I can search all the way up to December this year not the 120 days like before!! Started yesterday. Thought it might be a glitch but still there today!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I used my replacement certificate a while back. It had an expiration date of December 2020 and I could see all the way into December. This was for a week that I had to cancel which was originally a week-to-week trade in II.
Yeah, I think that was our experience too with the no fee AC for a cancelled exchange. We made an October reservation last month with one. There was no 120 limit on that no fee AC for a cancelled exchange. I think the 120 limit is there on those $99 ACs people are getting for having to deposit a late Marriott weeks reservation.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused by II's take on exchanging with these compensation certificates. (We lost our April 6 week due to the resort closing.) I see that we can book Oct 29 at MOW. Before I do that though, I called II because I wanted to know what restrictions existed for re-traded >59 days in advance of that week. I mean the cert will have been applied and we will have a firm MOW week. Shouldn't we, if we change our mind, be able to trade that week based on its value or and not on the 120 day restriction? From an II inventory perspective, why would it matter if someone offers them an owned week, an exchanged work, or this cert exchanged week? Isn't the inventory unit the same?

Well their answer was we would be restricted. I don't understand this other than to prevent workarounds. Can anyone explain the reasons for this. The Oct 29 week inventory unit at MOW has a known value, right. If we acquire it, why isn't it an equal "asset" to those traded by other re-exchanges?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am confused by II's take on exchanging with these compensation certificates. (We lost our April 6 week due to the resort closing.) I see that we can book Oct 29 at MOW. Before I do that though, I called II because I wanted to know what restrictions existed for re-traded >59 days in advance of that week. I mean the cert will have been applied and we will have a firm MOW week. Shouldn't we, if we change our mind, be able to trade that week based on its value or and not on the 120 day restriction? From an II inventory perspective, why would it matter if someone offers them an owned week, an exchanged work, or this cert exchanged week? Isn't the inventory unit the same?

Well their answer was we would be restricted. I don't understand this other than to prevent workarounds. Can anyone explain the reasons for this. The Oct 29 week inventory unit at MOW has a known value, right. If we acquire it, why isn't it an equal "asset" to those traded by other re-exchanges?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
I think the issue is that the more flexibility they give you the less they give the rest of the membership. Were they to allow what you are asking it would take both the current week you were exchanging to out of inventory until much later but potentially other weeks also. They've already added options that were not on the table except for the work around between them and Marriott. My guess is MVC made significant concessions to get the additional option provided even though it does have limitations.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The restrictions on the certificate were crazy for me. I could see inventory for November at the Marriott resorts in Orlando, but nothing but studios in January with the certificate, even though there were tons of units in January with my other weeks. I finally re-traded one of the weeks I already booked for November into January, then I used the certificate for the November week.

I have October in Orlando for us and for our son and his family, two units X 2 weeks. Now Disney World is not really opening fully. I am going to talk II into letting us take something later next year, maybe early May. I won't go to DW wearing a mask, and then the loss of the FP. I think our AP's were a waste of money for 2020. Just sayin'.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the issue is that the more flexibility they give you the less they give the rest of the membership. Were they to allow what you are asking it would take both the current week you were exchanging to out of inventory until much later but potentially other weeks also. They've already added options that were not on the table except for the work around between them and Marriott. My guess is MVC made significant concessions to get the additional option provided even though it does have limitations.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hear what you are saying, but if I re-exchanged my December 19 week on Hutchinson Island, FL for the MOW October week, the same "exchanging to out of inventory until much later" scenario exists and in this latter example, I would not have any restrictions. I'm changing one chit for another. Shouldn't it be based on what the weekly unit is and not how we got it?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hear what you are saying, but if I re-exchanged my December 19 week on Hutchinson Island, FL for the MOW October week, the same "exchanging to out of inventory until much later" scenario exists and in this latter example, I would not have any restrictions. I'm changing one chit for another. Shouldn't it be based on what the weekly unit is and not how we got it?
No, it's basically a version of a bonus week that effectively pulls from excess inventory. But that excess inventory is also used by the other members of II so if you pull one thing then that's something not available to others. It seems in your mind you feel you're exchanging a high demand week but II doesn't look at it this way, esp for short notice. They're going to look at it just as if it were anything else. However, I'm confused, I thought this was an April week you lost not a Dec week.

EKniager

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, it's basically a version of a bonus week that effectively pulls from excess inventory. But that excess inventory is also used by the other members of II so if you pull one thing then that's something not available to others. It seems in your mind you feel you're exchanging a high demand week but II doesn't look at it this way, esp for short notice. They're going to look at it just as if it were anything else. However, I'm confused, I thought this was an April week you lost not a Dec week.
Sorry, it was an April week we lost. I was just using the December week as an example of another week "unit" we had as an option to trade for the October 29 MOW week. And in this example, there would not be a restriction on the MOW week if we turned around and traded it again, albeit >59 days in advance. Again, trying to highlight my perspective that the Oct 29 unit is the unit regardless of how we acquired it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it was an April week we lost. I was just using the December week as an example of another week "unit" we had as an option to trade for the October 29 MOW week. And in this example, there would not be a restriction on the MOW week if we turned around and traded it again, albeit >59 days in advance. Again, trying to highlight my perspective that the Oct 29 unit is the unit regardless of how we acquired it.
II will have to decide what their rules are but if it were a regular exchange and not enrolled you'd pay another exchange fee and the replacement week would have been good for a year assuming done more than 60 days out. In their view they've already given you something they didn't have to do so any additional options take away inventory and cause admin hassles. You can make your case with them and see if they'll give you that option but I doubt it and I couldn't fault them for not doing so.