• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - Mexican Timeshare Presentation Boot Camp

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think I disagree. If they are put back into other threads there will be a bunch of clutter.

Useful threads - such as the airport one - shouldn't be locked because of one individual.

I suggest using the Ignore as I just did. These repetitive rants are an abuse of TUG and have got to be a huge headache for the mods.

I don't think they should be put back in other threads either. Maybe we need a thread called "Vera's Rants". :D :D :D

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think they should be put back in other threads either. Maybe we need a thread called "Vera's Rants". :D :D :D

I was going to suggest that too....her own personal thread. "Vera's Complaints Against Grupo Mayan."

Ms. Christopher, please understand that your attempts to get your money back by posting negatively against Grupo Mayan are not helping you, because your posts are not specific and to-the-point, and because there are so many of them that they have become ineffective, and overall they have become very annoying to TUGgers.

We are as a rule quite helpful people here, but with your current tactics, we can't help you.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Regardless where it is decided to put her posts, it does not belong in a thread designed to help people learn. People do not want to weave through such posts to separate the wheat from the chaff. I agree that clear advice on how the airport system works and how to avoid is worthy of discussion but not weaved in with personal agendas.

People visit TUG for a lot of reasons: to learn, to share, to have fun, to rant and rave, for personal and business agendas, and lately as a negotiating ploy. The more these can be separated - the better we all are.

Maybe we need a thread to allow all the ranters and ravers just to have their way - maybe it would be good therapy. People could tune in if interested but not feel hijacked. They could even use all caps.

Mike

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe we need a thread to allow all the ranters and ravers just to have their way - maybe it would be good therapy. People could tune in if interested but not feel hijacked. They could even use all caps.

Mike

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
MS Christopher, I have no axe to grind here, and don't own any Mexican resorts, so you can consider my comments unbiased.

Any reasonable person can tell by your posts that you are upset by the loss of money by getting all wrapped up in a Mexican timeshare salesroom. That's too bad. You made the decision to attend the event while jet lagged and not at your best. That's too bad, too. The bottom line here is that you appear to not have read your documents and followed their instructions for rescission in a timely manner after you became aware that the purchase was not a good fit for you.

As much as you feel that posting here and elsewhere that you feel somehow trodden upon by this company, the reality is that hundreds, no, thousands of people have rescinded successfully. Is it easy? NO. Continuing to rant and not sticking to facts, naming names, and maintaining a concise statement of the events surrounding exactly WHY they should vary from the printed legal instructions for you is folly. I doubt it will be successful.

It's unfortunate for both you and Grupo Mayan that you found each other before you found TUG.

I truly believe that your continued ranting and bringing up tangential issues will simply be viewed as one customer who just couldn't be pleased no matter what. I truly believe that you have entered into a battle of wills, and I doubt that yours is stronger than theirs.

Thanks to the Moderators for putting this saga into the bootcamp sticky as a cautionary tale to others who may be headed to Mexico, thinking it couldn't hurt to accept a ride, breakfast, and a few bucks with these nice folks.

Jim Ricks

Last edited:
Reaction score
deleted

Keep to the topic at hand--Mexican timeshare presentation experiences--and do not attack each other over different opinions about said experiences. Vera, your experience has been well-documented and does not need to be repeated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Thanks to the Moderators for putting this saga into the bootcamp sticky as a cautionary tale to others who may be headed into Mexico, thinking it couldn't hurt to accept a ride, breakfast, and a few bucks with these nice folks.

Jim Ricks
You are welcome, Jim. That's exactly why I've left Vera's story in this thread. When controversy arose in the past few weeks about threads criticizing Grupo Mayan sales tactics, it was decided to try to keep all such complaints in one place in order to differentiate between their sales tactics and their actual resort operations.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Vera - I have sent you an email and a private message explaining why you are having problems on TUG - have you read them?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Went Personally To Rescind Two Days After Signing

MS Christopher, I have no axe to grind here, and don't own any Mexican resorts, so you can consider my comments unbiased.

Any reasonable person can tell by your posts that you are upset by the loss of money by getting all wrapped up in a Mexican timeshare salesroom. That's too bad. You made the decision to attend the event while jet lagged and not at your best. That's too bad, too. The bottom line here is that you appear to not have read your documents and followed their instructions for rescission in a timely manner after you became aware that the purchase was not a good fit for you.

As much as you feel that posting here and elsewhere that you feel somehow trodden upon by this company, the reality is that hundreds, no, thousands of people have rescinded successfully. Is it easy? NO. Continuing to rant and not sticking to facts, naming names, and maintaining a concise statement of the events surrounding exactly WHY they should vary from the printed legal instructions for you is folly. I doubt it will be successful.

It's unfortunate for both you and Grupo Mayan that you found each other before you found TUG.

I truly believe that your continued ranting and bringing up tangential issues will simply be viewed as one customer who just couldn't be pleased no matter what. I truly believe that you have entered into a battle of wills, and I doubt that yours is stronger than theirs.

Thanks to the Moderators for putting this saga into the bootcamp sticky as a cautionary tale to others who may be headed to Mexico, thinking it couldn't hurt to accept a ride, breakfast, and a few bucks with these nice folks.

Jim Ricks

And you say that you are sick of my posts, you clearly have not read them or else you would have read that I went twice in person to the Grupo Mayan to rescind the contract and they wouldn't do it! All within the five day period! And I am not the only one, whole families have done so also within the time allowed and failed. So why pick on me like this! Why not look into why they will not cancel the contract. You seem not to be interested in the facts here AT ALL! Why not have a thread about what to do in a position like mine where they refuse to rescind within the time period! And be constructive, not destructive? I was clearly from a long way off, from Europe and was even more vulnerable that a US citizen in many ways. But when you are greedy like the Mayan anything goes! And where are the thousands of people who have "rescinded successfully". I have not seen many of them on the websites! And I don't believe that there are many at all....these are all biased statements. And do you know some of these people personally who have rescinded? I don't believe it....You are biased against a European as well. That is the impression that I am getting! It is not business practice it is all criminal in my opinion. And there are many others who share my view. Some people can't stand injustice, and you don't seem to be one of them!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Why not have a thread about what to do in a position like mine where they refuse to rescind within the time period!
There is such a thread. In the first post of this thread there is a link to Profeco's brochure about the Mexican laws concerning timeshare presentations. It clearly states this about changing your mind:

• Take your time. Study the paperwork outside
of the presentation environment. Read the
contract thoroughly and verify it has a
Profeco registration number and that it
includes all the obligations and benefits of the
purchase; the complete name and address of
the developer representative; all the costs,
By law, you have five business days to cancel
the contract after you have signed it. If you
decide to cancel the purchase within this
period, notify the developer by email and
certified mail. Keep the receipt as evidence you
cancelled on time.
You should receive a prompt refund of all the
money you have paid, without any cancelling
penalties, within fifteen business days.
If the developer refuses to do so or
agruments you resigned to this right when
signing the contract, you may contact
extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx. To submit a
formal complaint, you must send the following
paperwork: a brief description of the problem,
copy of the contract and of your ID.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
And you say that you are sick of my posts,

I said no such thing! Furthermore I stated in my first sentence to you that I am not nor do I have any reason to be biased for or against you.

I have not read your contract. If it does say to rescind in person, you have a case, as do the others you claim to represent. If it gives other instructions, you don't. I'm sorry.

Anyway, since I don't have a horse in this race, I will let it go. However it works out, there's no skin off my nose. I wish you all well.... Jim

Reaction score
Vera - I have sent you an email and a private message explaining why you are having probelms on TUG - have you read them?

I am always grateful for constructive advice, and thank you for this. I was to learn it the hard way, as you know. I had not had any direct dealings with timeshare people before. Only once my friend and I were trapped in a London office responding to a "gift" of a free vacation, and we got out of there by the skin of our teeth! That was my first experience with a variant of timeshare and I never forgot it. The man who appeared from the back office looked like he had been through jail a hundred times!!! The signals were all there. This time around at the Mayan I went there not knowing that it was a timeshare ... we thought that it was a travel agents selling vacations in hotels......genuine business, not hot air. Well, it wasn't. Timeshare was never mentioned by them even once. And I also went because my friend was older and I could not face her husband if anything had happened to her personally. I was more at peace to be with her than to be in my hotel room worrying if she was OK. Some people, not many, are conscientious and that is how I am...but I also needed to be wiser and not have the so called free food and drink, it was a mistake - and not to stay anywhere like that for so many hours. That was clearly not good. But realising only much later that it was timeshare, when it was late, put me in a very vulnerable position. I could do very little, this time there was no "way of escape" as the first time. The first time my friend was on my side also...we were both excusing ourselves all the time and got out somehow. This time the "friend" was saying "Sign, sign," and that shocked me too....my frame of mind was really unable to make a proper decision. It can happen, especially such circumstances.

I realise that the timeshare industry is a labyrinth a total labyrinth full of snares. There are too many parasites seeking to "live from" other people's misfortune also if you try to sell. And yes paying up front is never a good idea, it is clearly a snare and a con. I would know now for the future. And wonder if there are any timeshare that are really honest. I heard that Disney and the Sheraton? might be honest. I am sure that there might be some others but very few relatively speaking are.....it does have a bad name here in the UK

I admit that I made a mistake by taking on board what the salesmen at the airport were saying to us....I would not have gone to the Mayan and told my friend to stick with the hotel rep...as she insisted I did not want something to happen to her. By trying to help her I fell into the trap myself. That can be very annoying, and discovering that she was hypocritically saying that she won't get involved with the Mayan as she "needs to speak to her husband", while pushing me into it alongside the reps. And even they were surprised! The vacation was a big learning curve from beginning to end!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vera, have you ever contacted Profeco about your situation?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Vera - I am not talking about your timeshare experience - I am talking about your posts on TUG.

It is no secret that Mexican timeshare sales people can be unscrupulous - no one has a problem with that.

This is the problem with your posts:

1. You keep posting the same thing over and over (you did it again in post #89).
2. You personally attack anyone who disagrees with you.
3. You keep starting new threads - with old info.
4. You are responding to very old posts.

So it's not so much WHAT you are saying, as it is HOW you are posting on TUG.

If you continue, you may lose your posting privileges on TUG.

Last edited:

Grupo Mayan

Reaction score
We will not continue entertaining libel online

Dear Readers,

True to our commitment to Customer Care and in an attempt to resolve Ms. Christopher’s situation in good faith; we contacted her and offered a resolution. Verbally, she had agreed to stop posting during our negotiations and accepted them without hesitation.

Needless to say, she has made it clear it is not in her interest to cooperate in resolving this matter at all as she continues to post compulsively. We cannot negotiate in this manner. We have principles and our integrity is being compromised.

We host thousands of satisfied guests every week and we measure the caliber of our quality through several mediums in an attempt to improve on a daily basis. In fact, the company employs and trains thousands of individuals that work hard day and night to satisfy each and every guest and her bogus accusations without support are unacceptable. We have received many certifications that prove her accusations are completely untruthful.

Therefore, as we had said before, we will not continue entertaining libel online and Ms. Christopher has our contact information if she would like to cooperate in the way we had offered to resolve this matter. We will no longer continue any communications with her if we are not contacted through the proper channels.

Hopefully one day, she will understand that our intentions are honest and she will let us complete our negotiations.

Thank you for your time and understanding in this matter. We are truly sorry she is not letting us help her.

Sincerely,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dear Readers,

We host thousands of satisfied guests every week and we measure the caliber of our quality through several mediums in an attempt to improve on a daily basis. In fact, the company employs and trains thousands of individuals that work hard day and night to satisfy each and every guest and her bogus accusations without support are unacceptable. We have received many certifications that prove her accusations are completely untruthful.

Sincerely,
Karen Rose
Customer Support Representative.

We are not owners but have exchanged into the Grand Mayans in Nuevo Vallarta and Riviera Maya through SFX for 10 weeks.

We are definitely satisfied guests. The service by your employees is excellent and is the best we have witnessed in our 23 years of timesharing. You certainly train them well. We have gotten to know some of them very well.

We always fill out the comment cards.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We also enjoyed our stay at the Grand Mayan in a very nice 2 bedroom ocean view in Nuevo Vallarta.

The problem is the way these units are sometimes sold, not with the stay, imo.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
[response to inappropriate post removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
As Pointed Out My Complaint Is With The Mayan Palace Not Royal Mayan

Why do you keep calling it Royal Mayan? The Royal Mayan is one of the Royals resorts and has absolutely nothing to do with the Grupo Mayan resorts.

Exactly where were you?

Far be it for me to want to mislead the Tug-readers and participants. I was taken with my companion to the Mayan Palace. I have problems with the Grupo Mayan, that is the company that has a bustling glass auditorium with models in glass cases of the different resorts on offer.

Hope that everyone will understand my plight with these people.

I was certainly not a "stranger in paradise".

Vera

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
The original intent of this sticky thread was to educate people on how to deal effectively with timeshare presentations everywhere; it has evolved to focus largely just on the Grupo Mayan system, which I would guess does far more presentations than any other resort (any statistics on this?)

As someone who knows their system very well, I am going to summarize what I know. This is intended for people reading through this thread trying to understand whether to take a vacation at one of the Mayan resorts.

The bad of the Grand Mayan system:
- Their sales process is high pressure, long, irritating, and there are promises made that do not make it into the contract. The prices for entry level are very high versus the resale market.

The good:
- The resorts are high quality full service mega resorts - excellently maintained and with continual improvements.
- The staff and service are first class - best I have ever experienced in my travels.
- The resorts are very well managed with consistent high ratings in best places to work in Mexico.
- The contracts (what you sign as an owner) are honored and the member services people are fair to work with.

How to defeat the bad?
- Simply don't go to the presentation. You will not be badgered - just say no.
- If you really want the goodies, read my advice earlier in this thread. It is easy to survive unscathed if prepared.
- if for some reason, you buy: Read the contract closely and fix or rescind within 5 days if everything is not as promised (it won't be). (beware, because their contracts are different and can be customized, direct comparison on the resale market is difficult)

My advice for people considering renting or exchanging in:
- If you do, you will have all the amenities for a great vacation
- Don't do the presentation if you are not up to it or prepared with knowledge; At the minimum, you will be irritated and lose vacation time, but for some, the experience will destroy their vacation.

My final thought, I know for many here the concept of high pressure timeshare practices trumps all in the quality of the resort; for others like me, it is just one of the things to consider in this jaded industry.

Mike

Last edited:

Conan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My advice for people considering renting or exchanging in:
- If you do, you will have all the amenities for a great vacation

One small clarification - - RCI exchangers will be limited to 1 exchange in the entire Mayan Group per 5 years, and generally will not have the ocean view that owners get. Exchangers with other systems (SFX for example) and renters won't have these limits.

siesta

TUG Member
Reaction score
One small clarification - - RCI exchangers will be limited to 1 exchange in the entire Mayan Group per 5 years, and generally will not have the ocean view that owners get. Exchangers with other systems (SFX for example) and renters won't have these limits.
to clarify your clarification, the 1 in 5 rule for Grupo Mayan has been suspended at all resorts besides Grand Mayan Cabo.