• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sticky - Mexican Timeshare Presentation Boot Camp

Tropical lady

Reaction score
feeling left out....

I had to show my husband this thread and the Cancun airport one too. We are disappointed that during any of our presentations we did not have a chorus of reps, circling us, singing "buy the deal of the century" (airport thread). In addition our coffee and tea at breakfast was delivered by the waiter in no special uniform.....no bottles of coffee liquor given to us.
At first I agreed with Mikenk that this is better resolved with the company in a calm manner with no rants or embellishments, and just the facts. Contrary to the statement that the company hides in Mexico, since that is where they are located, information for contact has been offered by the company. But I read the post about the hotel in Turkey and realized that this won't happen. This is not rational and sad. With these posts, including accusations like this, I think very little can be done to get any resolution.

Last edited:

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
At first I agreed with Mikenk that this is better resolved with the company in a calm manner with no rants or embellishments, and just the facts. Contrary to the statement that the company hides in Mexico, since that is where they are located, information for contact has been offered by the company. But I read the post about the hotel in Turkey and realized that this won't happen. This is not rational and sad. With these posts, including accusations like this, I think very little can be done to get any resolution.

Yes, I agree. The more I have read, the more I understand that this particular situation defies resolution. There is two things I know about the Grupo Mayan system: they do have a irritating contracted high pressure sales approach; they also have an excellent in-house members services / contract team that are great to work with. Unfortunately, many people have no ability to understand the difference and behave accordingly.

Mike

CatLovers

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tropical lady and mikenk, it is clear from your many posts here on TUG that you are "fans" of the Grupo Mayan resorts and love their facilities. I think that is great. It's important to have a fabulous time on your vacations. However, not everyone is fortunate enough to have the same positive experience as you. As yes Mike, before you jump in, while I can only speak for myself, I DO have the ability to separate "sales" from "operations".

But please ... don't belittle or demean those who have had a horrible experience and cast aspersions on their truthfulness or their character. They may not be as eloquent as you, but that doesn't negate their experiences. Literally hundreds of postings on the Internet indicate that this outfit is capable of behaving exactly as the OP has indicated. A quick Google search on “Grupo Mayan sales practices” finds words such as “con-men”, “cheaters”, “swindlers”, “scam artists”, “liars”, “crooks”, “dishonest”, “corrupt”, and “fraudulent” as only just a few of the epithets used repeatedly to describe this organization. The Better Business Bureau in the U.S. gives this company a rating of F, the lowest possible given by the BBB. Surely you're not suggesting that these hundreds of people are involved in some sort of a collective conspiracy to bring down Grupo Mayan based on lies and untruths.

Again, I think it's fantastic that your experiences have been nothing like what the OP has described. But please ... consider yourself fortunate for your good luck and don't put down or discount others' experiences.

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
Catlovers, the fact that Grupo Mayan has a high pressure sales process has been beaten to death on this board. They are very efficient at getting lots of people in the seats and they are very efficient at getting people signed up. As a result, they gets lots of complaints; I have never condoned any of these high pressure practices as I believe it is unnecessary, However, I also can put them in perspective regarding the overall quality of the resorts.

However, there are rants and raves from some that continue endlessly with innuendoes and statements that from my experience are just bogus - Spiked coffee - give me a break!!! IMHO, There is way more to this story than meets the eye.

I realize you and many take everything at face value on every post particular if it serves your purpose; I don't; statements that don't match my experience and knowledge, I will challenge and continue to do so.

Mike

Last edited:
Reaction score
I Have Received An Email From The Grupo Mayan Saying That They Are Transparent

:cool: :rolleyes:

It is not difficult for the Grupo Mayan at this stage to settle the matter of the return of money paid by me. They know from my emails to them that I am perfectly willing to erase all comments, wherever I can, of previous posts JUST AS SOON AS THE MONEY IS IN THE BANK, ALL £4,075 of it!

It is up to them to show their seriousness and genuine wish to settle fairly and squarely. There should not be any doubt as to my genuine intentions to sign a contract at the end of this near three year saga that no adverse comments will be made against them after settlement on their part. Anyone who has a logical and fair mind will see that the ball is in their court to pay up and settle properly without further ado, and that the matter will be settled amicably if they do this as soon as possible on my part. I have stated so openly on the internet and have no intention to default. Neither do I have any intentions to receive only half of my money!

THE MATTER IS SIMPLE AND REQUIRES GOOD WILL AND SERIOUSNESS TO BE SHOWN ON THE PART OF THE GRUPO MAYAN WHO HAVE THEIR PRESENTATIONS AT THE MAYAN PALACE. So sorry that I wrote Royal Mayan Palace. This only goes to prove that no one is proof reading my posts and that I am a human and can make mistakes. It is a David going against a Goliath situation. And the Grupo Mayan have all the reps to write on the internet and this is only a single lady doing her best to get her hard earned cash back where it belongs - in her bank account.

I do not see the logic of anyone at this stage writing so much to retrieve what belongs to me, what has been snatched from me under gross misrepresentation, not to retract her statements once the money has been paid in full by the Grupo Mayan and to "let sleeping dogs lie" at that point. That defies logic and should not be entertained at all.

Thank you all for your support. I love people in the U.S. I have many fond memories of my few years spent there!!!! :) Once again, thank you. Our motto is "Fight the good fight with all thy might!"

Reaction score
The Grupo Mayan Say That They Are Not Going To "play Games"! Actions Speak Louder...

:wave: :clap:

Hello Grupo Mayan and dear readers:

I have told the Grupo Mayan that I shall continue with my posts until such a time as the $4,075 is in my bank account, that is THEIR part of the bargain. MY part then, and only then, is to erase the comments made, as much as possible, and to then, and only then, sign whatever document they require me to sign to cease from that point forward to write any adverse thing about them online or by any other means of communication. Very plain and simple. It could not be simpler. Paying half today of the whole sum of money on their part is not adequate. I do not do anything by halves any more. We go the whole way, all the way, to reach our destination and then there are no disappointments on either side of the bargain!!! If the Grupo Mayan are serious now they need to show it with actions, which always speak louder than words. No more communication by telephone is necessary now, as "transparent" people who do not "play games" are content to email occasionally only to confirm that they have paid the money into the bank account in full, which will then automatically bring this whole long saga to a decisive and positive conclusion, so that the settlement can be signed and the matter resolved properly, amicably and successfully!!!
:)I am sure that the readers agree with this approach at this stage. There is no more room for stalling. The ball is in the Grupo Mayan's court!

LET US SEE THEM PLAY FAIRLY AND SQUARELY WITHOUT DELAY!:)

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Just keep in mind that, when the resort makes it a condition for settlement that you have all your posts removed and you come crying back to us to have them all taken down, the more posts, the more difficult to do, and the less likely we are to fix your problem for you.

Reaction score
"stop Fraud" Post Is So True, Hear, Hear, Sir!!!

Moved to existing thread on a related topic. DeniseM Moderator

----------------------------------------

:clap: :clap: :clap:

This gentleman is telling and truth and is speaking from experience. The same experience that I and others seem to have had!!!! The presentations are extremely dishonestly run and are "pressure tanks". They subject a person to a gruelling "inquisition" as to your spending of money so far on your vacation and then go for the kill. I recall that it is very intimidating and unpleasant!!!

I am sorry to hear that this gentleman did not get his money back. I am glad to know that in his opinion the Grupo Mayan are the worst. I have little experience of other timeshare companies but after having experienced so much anguish on account of this Grupo Mayan I can say that I am cured for life regarding timeshare!!!

It is sad that they can have this sort of effect on people and you are right, Sir, if only the US government would do something to make it more difficult for them to con so many innocent people like this. It is scandalous that nothing is done about it on a higher level.

Well said and written, Sir, I agree with every word that you have written about the Grupo Mayan. They are the pits, really they are!!! They have to be.......

To fish tourists out at he Cancun Airport speaks for itself what methods are used by them!!!! No decent company would practically stalk tourists to their hotel!!! It's disgusting behaviour and clearly they seem to be able to do as they please in Mexico. They are not restrained in any way by the looks of it!!!

This man is just one of so many who are writing on this website to air his grievance. It is a scandal that so many people are being conned like this...it is daylight robbery! It begs the question how long will it remain like this!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Vera - Please stop creating new threads on the same topic. To comment on someone else's post, you should add your post to the SAME thread.

Sir, if only the US government would do something to make it more difficult for them to con so many innocent people like this. It is scandalous that nothing is done about it on a higher level.

The US Government can't do anything about business practices in ANOTHER country. Mexico is not part of the US.

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
This gentleman is telling and truth and is speaking from experience. . . .

I am sorry to hear that this gentleman did not get his money back. I am glad to know that in his opinion the Grupo Mayan are the worst.

To what gentleman do you refer? How do you know he is speaking the truth? He might or might not be - but none of us was there and none of us can know the truth of his experience.

. . .

Sir, if only the US government would do something to make it more difficult for them to con so many innocent people like this.

Huh? His experiences and yours were in Mexico, not the U.S. Where does the U.S. government fit in to this?

Ms. Christopher, your case with Grupo Mayan will be more effective if you stick to the specific facts of your interactions with them. Bringing in other situations, information, or allegations confuses the issue and weakens your case.

It also becomes quite annoying for those of us who try to help, as well as for the volunteer moderators who spend a lot of their own time keeping this board going.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is Christopher even referring to the article that I posted?:shrug:

How do you know he is speaking the truth? He might or might not be - but none of us was there and none of us can know the truth of his experience.

Also, Grupo Mayan was not identified in that article; there is no evidence that Grupo Mayan is the organization with which he had problems.

Huh? His experiences and yours were in Mexico, not the U.S. Where does the U.S. government fit in to this?

The article was written about the family's bad experience in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, and they were approached on the Boardwalk, not Airport.

Ms. Christopher, your case with Grupo Mayan will be more effective if you stick to the specific facts of your interactions with them. Bringing in other situations, information, or allegations confuses the issue and weakens your case.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

Sorry for the confusion: She started another new thread about Grupo Mayan, and I moved her post to this thread, it just happened to be located after your post. When threads are moved, they post by time and it just happened to come after yours.

She is apparently referring to some unknown thread from the past - "stop Fraud" Post Is So True, Hear, Hear, Sir!!! - that's why I advised her to post in existing threads, instead of starting new ones.

Last edited:

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Moved to existing thread on the same topic. DeniseM Moderator

----------------------------------------

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It is sad that they can have this sort of effect on people and you are right, Sir, if only the US government would do something to make it more difficult for them to con so many innocent people like this. It is scandalous that nothing is done about it on a higher level...

The last time I checked Mexico was not part of the United States. This is an issue for Mexico to deal with, not the US.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

Sorry for the confusion: She started another new thread about Grupo Mayan, and I moved her post to this thread, it just happened to be located after your post. When threads are moved, the post by time and it just happened to come after yours.

She is apparently referring to some unknown thread from the past - "stop Fraud" Post Is So True, Hear, Hear, Sir!!! - that's why I advised her to post in existing threads, instead of starting new ones.

Should I delete my post above?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Should I delete my post above?

If it were me, I'd probably edit out the top and bottom, and leave the middle and post something like [edited - because of misunderstanding] or something similar. Again - sorry for the confusion.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd probably edit out the top and bottom, and leave the middle and post something like [edited - because of misunderstanding] or something similar. Again - sorry for the confusion.

ok, will do.

This series of posts has gotten highly annoying, is creating a ton of work for the mods, and will do nothing to help her case without a coherent list of specific actions, misrepresentations, promises, etc. Is there a way for a TUGger to block posts from a particular user?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
ok, will do.

This series of posts has gotten highly annoying, is creating a ton of work for the mods, and will do nothing to help her case without a coherent list of specific actions, misrepresentations, promises, etc. Is there a way for a TUGger to block posts from a particular user?

There sure is. Just click on their user name and choose View Public Profile. There is then a link available to add the user to your Ignore List.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She has already been directed to stop creating new threads that essentially say the same thing. If she continues, she may lose her posting privileges, because duplicate posting is a violation of the TUG Posting Rules.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score

There sure is. Just click on their user name and choose View Public Profile. There is then a link available to add the user to your Ignore List.

Sorry Ms. Christopher. In over 5,000 posts on TUG I have never before had to do this, and really, I do sympathize with your situation and have offered what I thought were some helpful ideas, but I'm going to have to make you the one and only person on my Ignore List. The posts have gotten too repetitive and annoying to me, and has made the Mexico Board, one of my favorite places, unpleasant.

I wish you luck in resolving your situation with Grupo Mayan, but I don't think that bombarding this board and annoying members is the way to do it.

Dioxide - Thank you. You can probably hear my huge sigh of relief.

Last edited:

Tropical lady

Reaction score
enough....

Please read my response in the thread "Rights to rescind" #57. This is all over the place and I would appreciate my post read whether you agree or not. I am frustrated!!

mikenk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Villa
When this thread was originally created as a sticky, I thought it was a good Idea to allow people to share their experiences to deal effectively with timeshare sales. Unfortunately, when these ranting threads were merged, the whole thread has become rather useless for people to learn as it has become basically nonsensical.

I suggest all these latest postings be put back into the normal threads and locked. People can read if they want, but please stop the repetitious ranting. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Mike

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
When this thread was originally created as a sticky, I thought it was a good Idea to allow people to share their experiences to deal effectively with timeshare sales. Unfortunately, when these ranting threads were merged, the whole thread has become rather useless for people to learn as it has become basically nonsensical.

I suggest all these latest postings be put back into the normal threads and locked. People can read if they want, but please stop the repetitious ranting. It serves no purpose whatsoever.

Mike

I agree with Mike. This lady just keeps posting the same old thing over and over.

I think I disagree. If they are put back into other threads there will be a bunch of clutter.

Useful threads - such as the airport one - shouldn't be locked because of one individual.

I suggest using the Ignore as I just did. These repetitive rants are an abuse of TUG and have got to be a huge headache for the mods.

Last edited: