• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you used this information to deed-back your DRI Timeshare?

• Yes, DRI took back my DRI TimeShare (or DRI said they will take back my TS)

Votes: 148 87.6%
  • No, DRI said they would not take back my TimeShare

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question for those of you who were successful in getting the deedback, what happened to any unused points you had? Could you put them into Interval International and use at a later time, or did you lose them?

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
No Points. No Interval International. Just Straight Timeshare Week.

Question for those of you who were successful in getting the deedback, what happened to any unused points you had? Could you put them into Interval International and use at a later time, or did you lose them?
We are strictly RCI -- no I-I & no DRI club.

The timeshare that we deeded over to DRI was a straight biennial unit (even years), not part of the club & not in points.

The resort has dual affiliation with I-I & RCI, in addition to now being a link in the DRI chain.

The main reason DRI accepted our former unit is that they were in the process of taking on a larger & more active role in resort management at a timeshare that until recently had been owner-controlled & owner-operated (under contract to an independent resort management company).

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
DRI's policy is that with any transfer of ownership, all current points and /or reservations are cancelled. DRI takes the pts for themselves.
The only way to avoid this is to make an II reservation. NOT just say you want your pts placed with II but make a trade in II.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
DRI's policy is that with any transfer of ownership, all current points and /or reservations are cancelled. DRI takes the pts for themselves.
The only way to avoid this is to make an II reservation. NOT just say you want your pts placed with II but make a trade in II.

Okay, thanks, Bill. I guess I'll have to lose the points :)annoyed: unless I can move quickly to reserve something over the next week. Not that I'll get much for 3000 pts).

I've decided to move forward with this. I'm in the process of drafting up an email. I'm just not confident about the terminology I'm using. I'm a Premiere Vacation Collection owner (use of 8 resorts). I gather what I have is a Deed of Trust....is that the same as a deed?

my email starts out as: "I am writing to ask if Diamond Resorts would be willing to accept the voluntary surrender of my Premiere Vacation Collection (Deed of Trust) contract for 6000 points." ...does that sound about right?

I'll send it in on Monday to the lossmitigation email address.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks, Bill. I guess I'll have to lose the points :)annoyed: unless I can move quickly to reserve something over the next week. Not that I'll get much for 3000 pts).

You can go ahead and make a reservation in II that burns off the points. Then later you can cancel the II and get a credit back to your account. You will lose the first exchange fee you pad, but you will get a credit back.

The rules on cancelling a reservation are:
For all cancellations requested at least seven or more days prior to arrival, the substitute exchange must be booked for arrival within 12 months of the cancellation date. The timeframe for which you can book depends on how far in advance you cancelled the original exchange:

1) if cancelled 60 or more days prior to the original arrival date, you can request substitute accommodations (same unit type or lessor) at anytime from the substitute arrival date, provided the arrival date is within 12 months of the original cancellation date.

2) if cancelled within 59 to 14 days prior to the original arrival date, you can request substitute accommodations (same unit type or lessor) 59 days to 24 hours prior to the substitute arrival date, provided the arrival date is within 12 months of the original cancellation date.

3) if cancelled within 13 to 7 days prior to the original arrival date, you can request substitute accommodations (same unit type or lessor) 30 days to 24 hours prior to the substitute arrival date, provided the arrival date is within 12 months of the original cancellation date.

4) if cancelled within 6 days or less prior to the original arrival date, you forfeit this exchange, and a substitute exchange credit will not be issued.

That actually gives you a pretty wide window to work with. You could, for example, use the 3000 points to book with check sometime toward the end of next year. Then check for something else to come up that you like, cancel the reservation, and book the unit that you want. If nothing comes by 60 days before checkin on the faux-exchange, cancel it so you get a credit back with maximum power. You then have an extra 12 months to search.

Bear in mind that there will probably be some restrictions on the credit that you get back - particularly with regard to unit and season. Check with II regarding what those restrictions would be. But if you can travel on short notice and can take advantage of last minute availability, you might be able to snag something pretty nice with those 3000 points. You can work it so that you've got two years to hunt for something.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can go ahead and make a reservation in II that burns off the points. Then later you can cancel the II and get a credit back to your account. You will lose the first exchange fee you pad, but you will get a credit back.

Bear in mind that there will probably be some restrictions on the credit that you get back - particularly with regard to unit and season. Check with II regarding what those restrictions would be. But if you can travel on short notice and can take advantage of last minute availability, you might be able to snag something pretty nice with those 3000 points. You can work it so that you've got two years to hunt for something.

Thanks, Steve. Sure is nice to get advice from seasoned ts and II users. What have I got to loose. I'd rather play with my 3000 points than give them to DRI.

So I guess I have a bit of time to figure this out....well, first I better wait until I hear back from DRI that they accept my deedback, and if so, then while I wait for the paperwork to arrive deposit my 3000 pts in II and reserve something.

Thanks for this!

dontfret

Reaction score
my email starts out as: "I am writing to ask if Diamond Resorts would be willing to accept the voluntary surrender of my Premiere Vacation Collection (Deed of Trust) contract for 6000 points." ...does that sound about right?

I'll send it in on Monday to the lossmitigation email address.
I would also add that because of changes in your health or finances you can no longer use the timeshare nor can you afford to continue paying the MF.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also add that because of changes in your health or finances you can no longer use the timeshare nor can you afford to continue paying the MF.

Thanks, dontfret. Yes, I've got that in the email, too, which is actually the truth, both those things, plus another reason. Fingers crossed. If this works, I'll be forever indebted to this group :p .

On another note, I remember reading several posts back about DRI possibly offering money at some time to buy back these deeds. That would be the honorable thing to do and what they should have done from the outset, since they'll be making loads of it turning these around.

Marijeanl

Reaction score
Something to think about...

If your timeshare is paid off and you just want out so that you don't have to pay maintenance fees, please DON'T GIVE IT BACK TO DIAMOND!!

My parents went to a presentation after purchasing a sampler package and got them to drop the price per point down but it was still out of reach for her. What they then offered was a package of points that used to belong to someone else who was giving their points back to Diamond. They owed nothing on it but just wanted to get out of timeshares all together.

My mother came back with an offer that was lower...you know, a counter-offer. The salesman thought about it and went and talked to his supervisor. You all know the drill...

He came back and said that because the couple who previously owned the points package paid more for their package then what my mother offered to pay, they couldn't do it.

So for the people who are wanting to get out and just give Diamond the points package back and even pay Diamond the $250 fee to take it back, just remember: THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT AND RE-SELL IT FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT THE FIRST TIME AROUND.

Now you know why Diamond is ok with taking your timeshare back- so they can double dip.

Do a good deed and a least list it out in i the TUGBBS marketplace to give someone else a good deal rather than give it back to the MAN.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now you know why Diamond is ok with taking your timeshare back- so they can double dip.

Do a good deed and a least list it out in i the TUGBBS marketplace to give someone else a good deal rather than give it back to the MAN.

There is a MAJOR assumption you are making here: that it is cost effective (or at least cost neutral) for a potential seller to do what you suggest. Not all DRI ownerships have even positive value. Monarch ownerships that are now DRI have huge negative value and a deed back can save the potential seller thousands. So please get off this anti-developer high horse. They may be fair game for many grievances, and if they were offering to severely undercut fair market value, you may have an argument. But in this case you are way off base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marijeanl

Reaction score
I don't sit on a "High Horse".....

I suggested doing a good deed. Doing a good deed means not expecting anything in return.

I never assumed there would be anything cost effective in listing the timeshare in the marketplace. I merely suggested that if you do not owe anything and just want to get out, don't pay $250 to give the time back to DRI because they are just going to resell your worthless property for the same thousands of dollars that you gave them in the first place. If it holds enough value for DRI to resell it for $$$, why don't they offer to pay the originally owner something for it instead of charging them money to take it back?

I happen to own two timeshares with DRI and am glad that I do. I would do it again. But I would never give it back to them so that they could make money off of my time. I would rather give it away to someone since I know that DRI would never give me anything for it. Why should they make more money off of it?

Everyone on this site knows that you don't buy from a developer anymore anyhow - if you can possibly help it.

And I am offended that you would insinuate that I am on some type of "high horse". I can't recall ever seeing anyone on this site insult another member in that way for posting their own opinions.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Not Crazy About Giving It To DRI, But That Was The Least Worst Option At The Time.

I would have preferred giving my DRI-affiliated biennial timeshare unit to a regular walking-around timeshare vacationer who would have got use & enjoyment from it -- much more than deeding it back to the timeshare company.

But that was not in the cards.

If it had been early in the year, there might have been time for a giveaway ad to reach a potential recipient. As it was, it was so late in the year that the deadline was looming for paying the odd-year maintenance fee on the even-years unit. It was unrealistic to expect anybody to pay that back as part of accepting a giveaway, so we swallowed our pride & deeded our timeshare back to DRI.

We paid the previous owner $500 for the deed in 2006, plus closing & resort transfer fees. The unit came with the full use-year's fees already paid ahead, meaning that we got to take our 1st week of vacation at the 3BR lock-off unit el freebo.

Was nice while it lasted.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
So for the people who are wanting to get out and just give Diamond the points package back and even pay Diamond the $250 fee to take it back, just remember: THEY ARE GOING TO TAKE IT AND RE-SELL IT FOR WHAT YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT THE FIRST TIME AROUND.

Oh, I know this is what they are going to do, but to tell you the truth, I can't imagine anyone picking up my timeshare in the TUG market place. Who want's to have that MF, even if I offer to pay the MF for that year? Mine are high for a 1 BR, biennial, odd year. By the time I've accumulated my required 6000 points, I've paid $1250 US and that's $1550 CDN for me, for 1 week. That seems pretty high to me. And it will only go higher. I guess I'm looking for the easy way out, as many of us are here.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
I Resemble That Remark.

I'm looking for the easy way out, as many of us are here.
That's the situation we were in when we were done with our DRI-affiliated timeshare & saw no realistic chance of selling it or giving it away.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suggested doing a good deed. Doing a good deed means not expecting anything in return.
Except "good deed" does not mean one should exercise self-immolation, either.
I never assumed there would be anything cost effective in listing the timeshare in the marketplace. I merely suggested that if you do not owe anything and just want to get out, don't pay $250 to give the time back to DRI because they are just going to resell your worthless property for the same thousands of dollars that you gave them in the first place.
It makes no sense to me to "shout" out that people need to offer something in the Bargain Deals/Marketplace and potentially pay someone $1000-1500 to take a timeshare, when a simple $250 fee can free them of a huge burden. Who cares if the developer can resell it? This anti-deedback sentiment can only be made with the intent to spite DRI as its main focus.
If it holds enough value for DRI to resell it for $$$, why don't they offer to pay the originally owner something for it instead of charging them money to take it back?
Do you have a better idea that provides an owner with financially better options? Let's be practical here.
I happen to own two timeshares with DRI and am glad that I do. I would do it again. But I would never give it back to them so that they could make money off of my time. I would rather give it away to someone since I know that DRI would never give me anything for it. Why should they make more money off of it?
Would you like to take my elderly mother's Monarch-come-DRI ownership? Straight up (no prepaid MF)? Now THAT would be, dare I say, a "good deed."
Everyone on this site knows that you don't buy from a developer anymore anyhow - if you can possibly help it.
No one is saying to buy from the developer, but you seem to be saying, don't let the developer help you out, either.

If you truly think this one all the way through, however, consider that if TUG members were able to have everyone in the world educated to not buy from the developer AND current owners were able to freely deed back their ownerships to the developer, then we could potentially saddle the developer with all this extra inventory that they can't sell! Genius! ;)
And I am offended that you would insinuate that I am on some type of "high horse". I can't recall ever seeing anyone on this site insult another member in that way for posting their own opinions.
Anti-developer purchase sentiment is one thing. But developers are not necessarily "evil" in ALL regards. Beating a drum that nothing the developer does can be good for consumers/owners is imprudent, misleading, and only foments more angst. Each case must be considered on its own merits. If they make it easy enough for owners to get out of a commitment, then so be it. If the thing actually had value, and they duped people into letting go for cut-rate offers, as I said before, you would have a legit beef/suggestion. But this is NOT the case.

I apologize for coming off a bit harshly, but your suggestion essentially insulted every owner who has a negative value DRI-related ownership by insinuating they should take even more of a loss to help some nebulous owner community and to spite the developer at the same time. That is what offended me.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anti-developer purchase sentiment is one thing. But developers are not necessarily "evil" in ALL regards. Beating a drum that nothing the developer does can be good for consumers/owners is imprudent, misleading, and only foments more angst.

I agree with this perspective. Whether something is a good deal for DRI is immaterial. The question is does it work for the Owner.

George

dontfret

Reaction score
I merely suggested that if you do not owe anything and just want to get out, don't pay $250 to give the time back to DRI because they are just going to resell your worthless property for the same thousands of dollars that you gave them in the first place. If it holds enough value for DRI to resell it for $$$, why don't they offer to pay the originally owner something for it instead of charging them money to take it back?

I'm sure everyone's situation is different - but for me I tried in earnest to give it away for nearly 3 years. Listing here on TUGBBS as a bargain, offering to pay all closing fees, trying to donate to charity, trying to give it to another MGV/DRI owner, trying, trying, trying. No luck anywhere - my only responses were from other MGV/DRI owners trying to get rid of theirs. If you have been reading this board, why did YOU not take on my points as a 'good deed.'?? And meanwhile my MF was around $1700/year for a ts I cannot use nor afford to maintain. So yes, I know DRI is charging me a transfer fee to take back and resell my points for ~ $50-60,000. That's their business - they won't pay for something that has no value to anyone but them. Check out the eBay and Craig's List postings for MGV/DRI for $1 with a $500 signing bonus or a year's MF paid.

At the end of the day I'd rather pay $250 and walk away from what was for my wife and me a bad choice, than continue to pay $1700/year in perpetuity for something I don't use and worry when the other shoe will fall with either a Cabo Azul assessment (yes, they are having another hurricane in Mexico this week) or watch the MF go up every year.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone's situation is different - but for me I tried in earnest to give it away for nearly 3 years. Listing here on TUGBBS as a bargain, offering to pay all closing fees, trying to donate to charity, trying to give it to another MGV/DRI owner, trying, trying, trying. No luck anywhere - my only responses were from other MGV/DRI owners trying to get rid of theirs. If you have been reading this board, why did YOU not take on my points as a 'good deed.'?? And meanwhile my MF was around $1700/year for a ts I cannot use nor afford to maintain. So yes, I know DRI is charging me a transfer fee to take back and resell my points for ~ $50-60,000. That's their business - they won't pay for something that has no value to anyone but them. Check out the eBay and Craig's List postings for MGV/DRI for $1 with a $500 signing bonus or a year's MF paid.

At the end of the day I'd rather pay $250 and walk away from what was for my wife and me a bad choice, than continue to pay $1700/year in perpetuity for something I don't use and worry when the other shoe will fall with either a Cabo Azul assessment (yes, they are having another hurricane in Mexico this week) or watch the MF go up every year.
I also tried to give away my MGV pts for several years. We didn't find using them at the MGV resorts to be that good of value when they had such great value as II trades. BUT with the MFs always rising and DRI efforts to try and make anyone not in "the Club" feel like poor step children an offer to pay $250 and get rid of the TS seem like a no brainer.

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, email just sent to the lossmigitation email address. But I haven't received an automated response. Did others receive that instantly? Should i try the other email address?

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, email just sent to the lossmigitation email address. But I haven't received an automated response. Did others receive that instantly? Should i try the other email address?

Spoke to soon.....I just got the automated response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. A new ticket has been created. A Diamond Resorts International Team Member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Please use this ticket number for all future correspondence."

...fingers crossed

dontfret

Reaction score
Spoke to soon.....I just got the automated response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. A new ticket has been created. A Diamond Resorts International Team Member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Please use this ticket number for all future correspondence."

...fingers crossed

You are on the path - sounds like a message in a role-playing game! That's exactly how my 'adventure' began. Next should come an email from the Finance department representative, followed by the Mutual Release Agreement by postal mail to complete and notarize, then they acknowledge and batch them at the end of that month for processing. Takes about a week or so between events. I found out when it the paperwork was completed when my bank showed the check was cashed, followed by my online member site showed no membership/ownership associated with my login credentials. Good luck, hope you also find your way out of the maze!!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Its like playing the Oregon trail, heres to hoping your oxen dont die of dysentery during the journey!

davesdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slow Process

It has been about 2 months since I sent DRI my letter. I just today got a note from the post office. There is a $.69 postage due letter from DRI waiting for me at the PO. That really irks me. I guess I'll take it off of the $250. Check!:doh:

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been about 2 months since I sent DRI my letter. I just today got a note from the post office. There is a $.69 postage due letter from DRI waiting for me at the PO. That really irks me. I guess I'll take it off of the $250. Check!:doh:

go figure...

did you get an email from them saying that they were sending you documents?

marg2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something strange happened today, and I'll chalk it up to just a coincidence, I hope.

Shortly after I sent my email into DRI, my mom received a call from someone saying "I hear you want to sell your timeshare" My mom listened for a while, said nothing, then the person hung up. I'm pretty sure DRI has only my phone number and address, not my mom's.

Did this happen to anyone else? Is it a coincidence that a scammer company called the same day I submitted my request? How did they find out...?

Last edited: