• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Stay At Home Humor

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Permit a short digression from a "humor" thread. Perhaps not so far afield, because at its deepest levels, humor draws from human pain and hurt and allows us to address the issues in a less-threatening manner.

Late in my Mom's life, when she was in her 80s, my Mom rather suddenly changed her relationship with me. She started interacting with me much more as an equal adult, and not a son who happened to be an adult. After that transition was made, she started telling much more about her life, things she had never shared before. As an example, and keeping with humor concept, we were able to joke on a new level. She shared a couple of ribald comments involving her and my father, enough that I knew that there was much more, which was better left untapped. But it was enough to add more humanity to their relationship.

In those conversations, she filled in gaps in her history, talked about boyfriends and beaus before she met my father, and sundry other issues. One area she filled in involved her stepmother. My grandmother died when my Mom was 11. My Mom was the second of six children, and the oldest daughter. Her father was a sharecropper wheat farmer in central North Dakota, and they were living on the economic margins, on the ragged edge of needing to go to the poor farm (literally), In that state, the household could not function without someone tending to the domestic matters. Cooking food, doing laundry, sewing and patching clothes, canning and preserving food for the winter, tending to the garden, rendering grease and fat to make soap, making sure household chores got done (feeding the animals and cleaning stalls, milking cows, being sure that someone was assisting when farm animals were birthing). And parenting the children.

Since my mother was the oldest daughter, those tasks fell to her. Until she was about 14, when her Dad remarried.

All of the above I knew previously. I also knew that there had never been a good relationship with her stepmother, and that my Mom eventually left home at 16 without ever going back to school.

What I didn't know was some of the details, which I guess she decided I was now old enough to hear about and the she felt needed to be told. She talked about how emotionally in the space of one week she went from being an 11-year old school girl to a 30-year old mother of four children. Then, after her father remarried, she still carried most of the same duties, while her stepmother now "managed". There was a heart-breaking amount of physical abuse involved, including her stepmother using a nail-studded piece of wood as her disciplinary tool of choice.

Things ended with the stepmother on my Mother's 16th birthday, Feb. 3. My Mom came home to find all of her belongings boxed up on the porch, with a note saying that since she was now 16 years old, it was time to make her own way in life, that her room had been given to one of my Mom's stepbrother's (who had been sharing a room with one of the other boys). So in about five years, she emotionally went from being an 11-year old school girl, to a 30-year old mother, to a homeless 16-year old, in the dead of winter in the North Dakota prairie, with less than a 5th grade education.

My Mom's anger was still palpable, ~ 70 years later. But she said she determined to direct that anger and rage positively - to be sure that she didn't pass that anger to her children, but to ensure that her children never went through anything like that. I was a bit floored; I knew nothing of that. And I later learned that none of my siblings had any inkling either.

Which makes that the most eloquent testimony possible as to how well she had fulfilled that vow to herself. She made a decision to stop a chain of violence and abuse, and she did.

Love to talk to elders
everybody has a story, a lived in bubble no one knows about. As a parent , unimaginable action to your child, so many questions.
that was 65 years ago.
Not humorous , but glad you shared!
Sounds like it could be the start of a new thread ,,,

To breaking the cycle- Hats off!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
63 and pregnant

A woman went to the emergency room, where she was seen by a young new doctor. After about 3 minutes in the examination room, the doctor told her she was pregnant.

She burst out of the room and ran down the corridor screaming.

An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was; after listening to her story, he calmed her down and sat her in another room.
Then the doctor marched down the hallway to the first doctor's room.

"Whats wrong with you?" he demanded. "This woman is 63 years old, she has two grown children and several grandchildren, and you told her she was pregnant?!!"

The new doctor continued to write on his clipboard, and without looking up said: "Does she still have the hiccups?"

:D Dave

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
63 and pregnant

A woman went to the emergency room, where she was seen by a young new doctor. After about 3 minutes in the examination room, the doctor told her she was pregnant.

She burst out of the room and ran down the corridor screaming.

An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was; after listening to her story, he calmed her down and sat her in another room.
Then the doctor marched down the hallway to the first doctor's room.

"Whats wrong with you?" he demanded. "This woman is 63 years old, she has two grown children and several grandchildren, and you told her she was pregnant?!!"

The new doctor continued to write on his clipboard, and without looking up said: "Does she still have the hiccups?"

Real life story - I was a young teenager, my dad had picked me up after the movies and as we were driving home he got a bad case of the hiccups. As he struggled to get a breath in he said "scare me". I replied, ummm "I'm pregnant".

And with that he almost ran off the road. But the hiccups were cured!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
nestflix.jpg

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score