• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sheraton Vistana Resort Special Assessment[MERGED]

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When someone on ebay is selling a time share rental, they're just selling a week's vacation to someone right? Not selling the actual timeshare.

Yup. A rental is a rental, not the sale of a deed.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Where are all the so-called Vistana deeds for sale on eBay? I think I saw one. Other posters made it sound like a glut of them just went up.

There are almost always 3-10 Vistana's listed on eBay, plus others from SDO. Just search eBay for "sheraton timeshare" and you'll find a lot.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In the Owner Resources sticky will you find 2 links to search ebay for Starwood properties, listed under the Buying & Selling heading.

Current Starwood Auctions & completed Starwood auctions.

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have emailed the Board (again) and am waiting a response. I submitted it with it an estimate for my home to be refurbished with all new countertops, cabinents, new tile and appliances, and everything else under the sun. Basically a complete rework....The bill came to $57K and change. I have a 2500 sq ft 4 BDR home and some how it is $30K cheaper than each unit. And they are getting a bulk deal on supplies. Can't wait for the response. Oh wait, I probably won't get one :D

Jeffy3

Reaction score
I have emailed the Board (again) and am waiting a response. I submitted it with it an estimate for my home to be refurbished with all new countertops, cabinents, new tile and appliances, and everything else under the sun. Basically a complete rework....The bill came to $57K and change. I have a 2500 sq ft 4 BDR home and some how it is $30K cheaper than each unit. And they are getting a bulk deal on supplies. Can't wait for the response. Oh wait, I probably won't get one :D

Keep us posted !

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score

I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THIS!!!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Oh wait, I probably won't get one :D

While it's a significant effort, you do live in Florida. Perhaps you might convince yourself to go to the next public Board meeting at Vistana? Ask them the question during a public session - they've got to offer one...

These fees to remodel the units are extremely high and make no sense to me, or any of us! What are they thinknig? Oh, wait... it's Florida... 50% profit must go somewhere...

Dave55123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ebay Auctions

I've seen some for rental, but most are for clear title. I see people trying to dump the timeshare due to limited use or special assessment IMHO.

Jeffy3

Reaction score
We're going to try to donate ours!
GKK

I would like to sell for just the asessment fee, but something tells me even that would be asking too much! I'm really irritated by this whole thing. I would like to know why they need the money so early, why they need it in such close-together installments, and why it's so much more than most reasonable people think it should be.

( we own a fixed week at a court townhouse )

CeeWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We paid the assessment in Fountains over the last couple years and I can feel your pain.

We just got back from Vistana and stayed in a 2BR fountains unit. It's nice but I still wonder if it's worth what they paid (or at least collected) to do the remodel. HOWEVER, since we no longer will normally be traveling with our kids (they're now 20 yrs old). Future trips using StarOptions will give us 2 full weeks in a 1br or about a week & 5 days in a 1BR Premium (either Vistana or the Villages). I'm guessing the other areas will have the choice of whether or not to join SVN after they have collected the $ for the remodels there. Now the question becomes "how much success will I have using staroptions to get to the 1br units or even moving to other resorts?" We're considering going back next May so I just might find out soon.

Slight change of topic--we went to the sales pitch while there and when the guy assigned to us kept saying that ALL the owners had 'agreed' to the special assessments, I kept correcting him and saying that I had never agreed to any such thing. After doing that a couple times he started saying "The board who represents all the owners". He said if I don't agree with the board I have every opportunity to become a board member. My reply was "sure and I could become president of the US, but that's not gonna happen either". (You wouldn't even want to hear how the conversation turned when he talked about how reserves would pay for any future improvements) He couldn't get us out of the sales area quick enough LOL

Last edited:

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in donating my Vistana week, especially since my husband has been diagnosed with cancer.....does anyone have the name of an organization that would take it and do you think it could be donated without paying the assessment????

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I am very interested in donating my Vistana week, especially since my husband has been diagnosed with cancer.....does anyone have the name of an organization that would take it and do you think it could be donated without paying the assessment????

Hi Linda - I am so sorry about your husband.

Unfortunately, charities want a week with all fees paid that they can turn around quickly, so I'm not sure if that will work for you or not. Here is more info. in case you want to look into it: scroll all the way down to the bottom of this page.

Have you considered selling it for $1 on the TUG Bargain Basement Board with the stipulation that the new owner pays all fees?

Let us know how it goes!

woosterjc

Reaction score
Courts Unit

Has any court owner filed a complaint to the state of Florida for these high assessments and for us not having a say in what we want?

Also why the Courts board not respond to us owners directly if we send mail or email to them?

We may also start a petition to stop the assessment,

James

GKK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with James...I hope something is done. As I said in an earlier post, where have they been using the replacement reserve we have been paying since 1996. We did not pay that when we bought in 1983, then in '96 it just suddenly appeared on the maintenance bill and has doubled since then. They evidently did not use it to remodel anything, because all we have heard from visitors for years, is what a dump the courts are.
They want us to start making the first payment in Nov., since when do you pay for something 2 years before work is even started. Hopefully something can be done.
GKK

CeeWoo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assure you it is not easily done.

Especially when existing board members can easily send proxy forms to every owner and basically get their support without saying a word as to what they want to do. ie: they 'almost' get to elect themselves

(btw-as per my previous post---I used options yesterday to make reservations for next May in a 1br premium with no problems at all, so there is a potential payoff in the future for the $ I paid in the Spec Assessment since they gave me free SVN membership)

Last edited:

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

As a comparison.....we just received our Cascades renovation fee schedule. Have been owners since 1989. Started in Springs then switched to Cascades when it opened.

$95,100.00 per unit
$17,700.00 per unit covered by reserves.

Which leaves $1,571.00 per 2 bedroom week(WEEK).....on top of normal maintenance / taxes.

The last FAQ that they give is "How do I sell my Villa?".......so they quite possibly might be wanting people to sell by the OUTRAGEOUS costs. That FAQ just seems way, way out of place.

....and what do you think "other/contingency" to the tune of $18,000.00 per unit week might be referencing?

I really thought that this was why the annual maintenance / tax fees were so high. To repair and replace.

Somebody(s) really screwed up......or is everything going as planned!?

steve

I suggest writing to your board of directors to get your answers. As mentioned earlier in this thread a vote must have taken place and approved. Your yearly maintenance fees cover for maintaining....not updating. Hopefully with the costs that are planned there is a lot of updating...

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Your yearly maintenance fees cover for maintaining....not updating.

James,

Sorry, you are incorrect. As part of most HOA maintenance fees there is a "reserve fund" which is not for maintenance, but intended for replacing fundamental structural and cosmetic items which predictably wear out over time. In other words, a reserve fund is typically used to slowly store money for the eventual replacement of roofs, elevators, painting, etc. With timeshares, that reserve fund should naturally include internal unit updates. Whether or not there is a reserve fund at all is a good question, though I believe I read elsewhere on these forums that most (if not all) of the Orlando properties have them.

Reserve studies are performed by a third party on a regular basis (mandated by law in most States) which objectively show how well the reserve is funded and recommends appropriate changes to keep the reserve in sync with expected expenses. The Board of each HOA may elect not to adequately fund their reserve fund, with the obvious eventuality of forcing its owners to pay substantial amounts when major updates are necessary.

I'd like to see more information on the reserve funds for the Starwood resorts. How much is in the funds (one for each resort)? If it was insufficient for the updates, then what did the reserve studies show over the last 10 years? Were those reserve studies available for all owners to review? Did the Board know years ago that large special assessments would be required? Perhaps we should get copies of the Board minutes & resolutions from the last 10 years and see what really happened there (assuming the minutes are accurate).

There are ways for a HOA Board to artificially reduce maintenance fees - and one of the prime methods is simply not to adequately fund the reserve.

Of course, the reserve and special assessment amounts need to be balanced by the wishes of the membership. It is apparent there there has been a disconnect between those groups, especially as many owners seemingly had no opportunity to present their views or even vote on the special asssessment. FYI, at least in California, HOAs are now required to have a secret mailed (must be postal mailed in a double envelope) ballot for Board elections and special assessments. And, I believe that special assessments must typically pass by 2/3 or so, not just 50% + 1.

Ken

Jeffy3

Reaction score
Has any court owner filed a complaint to the state of Florida for these high assessments and for us not having a say in what we want?

Also why the Courts board not respond to us owners directly if we send mail or email to them?

We may also start a petition to stop the assessment,

James

I'm really new to all this. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a list of all the homeowners in the courts?

Jeffy3

Reaction score
This really has me agitated. They're assessing us with townhouses possibly 3 times than what it would normally cost to do the work, so one would assume that zero percent of this is coming from the maintenance fees we've been making all along.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm wondering if the assessment doesn't include some sort of major exterior upgrade, such as a new pool....

botham

TUG Member
Reaction score
Surely one of our members must be a lawyer, who can advise us all?