• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Shell Island Beach Club No Longer Managed by HGVC

dappledwilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saturday (04/04/09) We visited Shell Island Beach Club Resort on Sanibel Island to see what it was like for future reference and to pick up some re-sale information. When I spoke with the Hilton Rep. there, she informed me that as of Tuesday 04/07/09, the resort would no longer be managed by HGVC:confused: . She was not sure of particulars but indicated that the HOA had elected not to renew the HGVC contract. I am not sure if this is new news or how it impacts current owners but I thougt I would post it for information. This is the only information that I have.

Dappled Willy

Bill4728

Reaction score
Many of the affiliates on the Gulf coast have many owners who have choosen not to affiliate with HGVC. So if most of the owners don't see a value to them to be affiliated with HGVC, it shouldn't be a surprise that the resort's HOA has taken this action.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this will be a trend or not, but I can see that it will be a problem for HGVC which has chosen to expand by affiliation and not by building new resorts.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I don't know if this will be a trend or not, but I can see that it will be a problem for HGVC which has chosen to expand by affiliation and not by building new resorts.
This is definitely a concern, but that only applies to affiliated resorts where HGVC membership is optional. There are some resorts (Valdoro, for example) that are affiliates but HGVC membership is mandatory. Those resorts would be much less likely to drop HGVC, IMO.

It would be interesting to see statistics on percentage of HGVC members at the various affiliate properties. For example, MarBrisa -- is being sold w/ HGVC membership, but there have been posts indicating that HGVC membership would not be allowed for resale purchasers. Will be interesting to watch that one.

Kurt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It would be interesting to see statistics on percentage of HGVC members at the various affiliate properties.

From an April 2006 post

I was reviewing some of the HGVC fine print last night and was interested in just how many units each of the properties have available to the club. It seems pertinant to the affiliate discussion so I'll summarize here. The data comes from "HGVC Disclosure Statement" dated 6/05.

Affiliates:
Plantation Bay Villas - 4
Hilton Dunkeld - 12
Plantation House - 12
Cottages at South Seas - 14
Hurricane House - 15
South Seas Club - 24
Sanibel Cottages - 28
Plantation Beach Club at Indian River Plantation - 30
Club Regency of Marco Island - 32
Sea Watch On-The-Beach - 42
Shell Island Beach Club - 43
The Surf Club - 44
Tortuga Beach Club - 54
Plantation Beach Club - 56
Hilton Coylumbridge - 60
Valdoro Mountain Lodge -70
Casa Ybel Resort - 74
Charter Club - 80
Eagle's Nest Resort - 96
Hilton Craigendarroch - 99
The Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach Resort - 142
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club at Los Cabos - 311
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club at Cancun - no data
Harbourview Villas - no data
Mount Wolseley Hilton - no data
---------
Total - 1342 Units

HGVClub Resorts:
HGVC at South Beach - 52
HGVC at Sea World International Center I - 68
HGVC at the Kalia Tower - 72
HGVC at Waikoloa Beach Resort - 120
HGVC at the Flamingo - 200
HGVC at the Las Vegas Hilton - 225
HGVC at the Hilton Hawaiian Village - 236
HGVC on International Drive - 306
HGVC at Sea World International Center II - 400
HGVC on the Las Vegas Strip - 714 (when phase II completes this year)
---------
Total - 2393 Units

A San Diego option, even if it's just an affiliate, would be nice. Right now california is a kind of a Black Hole for HGVC.

I'd like to see the following resorts also affiliate:
HIGVC Sharm El Sjeikh, Egypt (http://www.higvc.co.uk/sharm.htm)
HIGVC Vilamoura, Portugal (open 2007)

Alex

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Perhaps if some more affiliates drop out, HGVC will actually "see the light" and build someplace new... and pigs might fly.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the statistics above there are 1342 affiliate units compared to 1051 HGVC units.

Our program would really "suck" big time, if all the affiliates disaffiliated!

Not saying it's likely to happen, but when is HGVC going to build stand alone resorts in different locations outside the big three? Of course I have asking this question for a few years now. :(

Looks like Talent & I posted about the same time. Great minds think alike, eh!!! :D

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm an owner. Upset also at the news

I just sent an email to Kathy Schneider-Pres Board of Directors

sibcboard@bigfoot.com

will let you know her answer

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder what they plan to do for insurance.

One of the big advantages for an affiliate on the gulf coast to be managed by HGVC is the insurance.

jestme

Reaction score
According to the statistics above there are 1342 affiliate units compared to 1051 HGVC units.

:D
Total real HGVC units is actually 2393. That total doesn't include Waikikian, and Kings Land, so it isn't as one sided as it looks. I certainly agree that other places would be nice though.

urple2

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, sad news... It is a great place to stay. Wonder how easy it would be to get in there thru HGVC via RCI.

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
No answer this AM at Shell Island office
No answer to my email of 2 days ago

I called another HGVC affiliate on Sanibel and was told

Board of Directors locked out HGVC people this AM
meeting at lawyers office tomorrow

I think this is all about roof repair from the hurricane a few years ago

My question is as owners why weren't we updated?

Beverley

TUG Member
Reaction score
No answer this AM at Shell Island office
No answer to my email of 2 days ago

I called another HGVC affiliate on Sanibel and was told

Board of Directors locked out HGVC people this AM
meeting at lawyers office tomorrow

I think this is all about roof repair from the hurricane a few years ago

My question is as owners why weren't we updated?

BINGO! We should have been asked. This should not be a "read it and weep" deal. :( I am not too happy with the news and would like to know more about it too.

There was some discussion somewhere (may have even been here on the board ... not sure) about some board members feeling that Hilton was not stepping up to some roof repairs from a hurricane a few years back. It sounded like there was some "bad blood" developing, however, the board is to be acting on behalf of all the owners and dropping Hilton should not have happened without a vote from all of the owners. :mad:

Beverley

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The Board has the duty to operate the resort for the owners

BINGO! We should have been asked. This should not be a "read it and weep" deal. :( I am not too happy with the news and would like to know more about it too.

There was some discussion somewhere (may have even been here on the board ... not sure) about some board members feeling that Hilton was not stepping up to some roof repairs from a hurricane a few years back. It sounded like there was some "bad blood" developing, however, the board is to be acting on behalf of all the owners and dropping Hilton should not have happened without a vote from all of the owners. :mad:

Beverley

This seemingly comes up every time a Board takes action to change management - never an easy thing or decision to make. There is no time or reasonable way to have the whole ownership vote on this unless it is required in the documents (rare). No one knows better than your Board how the management is performing (or not) and is in the best position to evaluate other companies. Your vote is for the Board members who then have the right and responsibility to run the resort for the benefit of all owners. Part of that - a BIG part - is getting a responsive, capable and economic management in place. Trying to get all owners to understand the options and to vote intelligently on that type of operational decision is NOT in the best interest of the Association IMO. Most resorts must agree as it is not a requirement that owners vote for the management but only for the Board. Let them do their (unpaid) job and support them by attending meetings and actually reading what they send out. And vote for qualified people.

PortableTech

TUG Member
Reaction score
You mean they physicially would not allow owners there whom held HGVC memberships into the meeting? I would think from a BOD perspective and owner is an owner, can they even do that?

Doug

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You mean they physicially would not allow owners there whom held HGVC memberships into the meeting?

I don't think mlsmn was referring to owners, but to the managers.
"Board of Directors locked out HGVC people this AM" = why phones weren't answered...
"meeting at lawyers office tomorrow" = board members consulting on legal rights.

JonathanIT

TUG Member
Reaction score
While this is bad news for owners of this resort... as an HGVC member it doesn't really bother me. I mean it's not like there are any shortages of Gulf Coast resorts to stay at. Frankly, since I became a member I have always wondered why they have so many resorts in that part of FL. I mean in some places it looks like there are three or four right next to each other (I admit I've never stayed at any of them). :confused:

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Meeting is between HGVC and Bd of Dir. if i remember correctly

If you own at SIBC perhaps calling them to let them know your opinion would be helpful.

It seems that's the only number that you can talk to somebody.
They don't answer emails or phones at Shell island

lawyers can be reached at 1 800 462 7780
Becker & Poliakoff /Ft Meyers

I called at 12 noon never got call back
I'm going to try again tomorrow (Thurs.)

We get a number of benefits from being in HGVC so I want Hilton to remain.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Frankly, since I became a member I have always wondered why they have so many resorts in that part of FL...

The reason for this lies in how HGVC began. Before HGVC was ever a twinkle in the eye of Baron Hilton, there was the Mariner Group (a Florida TS developer), which built [a bunch of] SW-Florida resorts. Then, in 1992, they partnered with Hilton Hotels to create HGVC. They affiliated their resorts, and was Hilton's partner in the development of HGVC-Flamingo & Seaworld. Later, they sold their interest to Hilton, and their resorts remained as affiliates... sort'a like step-children brought into a new marriage.
See: http://www.themarinergroup.com/vacation-ownership.asp

Last edited:

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
I mean it's not like there are any shortages of Gulf Coast resorts to stay at. Frankly, since I became a member I have always wondered why they have so many resorts in that part of FL. I mean in some places it looks like there are three or four right next to each other

While there are a lot of resorts near each other, they are all small, and together don't have as many rooms as HGVC Seaworld.
eg: Hurricane House: 15 units, Sanibel Cottages: 28 units, Tortuga Beach Club: 54 units, Casa Ybel: 74 units
Also, many owners do not belong to HGVC, so the number of unit/weeks in HGVC is even less.

The reason for this lies in how HGVC began. Before HGVC was ever a twinkle in the eye of Baron Hilton, there was the Mariner Group (a Florida TS developer), which built all these SW-Florida resorts. Then, in 1992, they partnered with Hilton Hotels to create HGVC. They affiliated their resorts, and was Hilton's partner in the development of HGVC-Flamingo & Seaworld. Later, they sold their interest to Hilton, and their resorts remained as affiliates... sort'a like step-children brought into a new marriage.
See: http://www.themarinergroup.com/vacation-ownership.asp

While most Sanibel and Captiva resorts were developed by Mariner, Shell Island was NOT one of them.
Also, one resort on Ft Myers Beach that was developed by Mariner never did become an HGVC affiliate. It was originally called Mariners Boat House and Beach Resort (or something like that).

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I wish HGVC would manage our Colorado resort. :D

mlsmn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just spoke to lawyers office.

They have been instructed not to say anything

I told them about the story being on TUG and that owners are upset and to tell the lawyer handling things for the owners assoc.

Phone at SIBC still going to voice mail at 11:12AM

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Use your rights as an owner to get information from the right sources

Just spoke to lawyers office.

They have been instructed not to say anything

I told them about the story being on TUG and that owners are upset and to tell the lawyer handling things for the owners assoc.

Phone at SIBC still going to voice mail at 11:12AM

Of course the lawyers aren't going to talk directly to the owners - your contact is through the Board. It is time to find out how your Association works, who your Board members are, why they feel a change is needed and more. But it all is internal and handled correctly through the Board / Resort NOT through BBS postings (they are great for general information but not for specifics that may be limited to Owners) or third parties that are working for the Association (Lawyers/Management). Get involved and find out what is going on. There may be many reasons why simply staying with Hilton may not be a good value for the owners. Or maybe there has been a problem and this is the result. But you have to be involved at an owner level. Otherwise you have left the big decisions to your elected Board with little owner input and will have to live with whatever they decide. Remember they hold the keys are they alone are specifically charged with the duty of operating the resort for the owners. You need to interact with them so they know what those owners desire. Good luck.

Seth Nock

Reaction score
Shell Island Beach Club is the only Hilton affiliate that is made up of both whole ownership and timeshare intervals. The Board voted to break their contract with Hilton, which I believe may be in violation of their rights. I have been told that ALL HGVC owners who choose to remain members of HGVC Club, will remain and be able to deposit their weeks. Hilton will review their rights, as the contract was believed to be terminated without due process (a vote from the all actual owners - not the board). If all the Shell Island owners who are interested in keeping Hilton as manager would email me sethnock@sellingtimeshares.net with their names, phone #s email addresses and interval #s, I will put together a number of owners who can help keep Hilton as management. This is the only Hilton affiliate that this affects. This is the only Hilton affiliate with whole unit owners.

sandcastles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Casa Ybel have both whole and interval units? Not saying they do, just asking.

I don't know enough about it to know what I think of HGVC as a manager, but I do know the insurance was great in the last hurricane. We had no special assessment fees at all.