• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
They have to listen to the science. From the CDC guidance:

The best available evidence indicates if children become infected, they are far less likely to suffer severe symptoms.[1],[2],[3] Death rates among school-aged children are much lower than among adults. At the same time, the harms attributed to closed schools on the social, emotional, and behavioral health, economic well-being, and academic achievement of children, in both the short- and long-term, are well-known and significant.

COVID-19 and Children
The best available evidence indicates that COVID-19 poses relatively low risks to school-aged children. Children appear to be at lower risk for contracting COVID-19 compared to adults. To put this in perspective, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as of July 17, 2020, the United States reported that children and adolescents under 18 years old account for under 7 percent of COVID-19 cases and less than 0.1 percent of COVID-19-related deaths.[5] Although relatively rare, flu-related deaths in children occur every year.

Educational Instruction
Extended school closure is harmful to children.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
My kids are now in college. If they were in HS we’d be doing a neighborhood pandemic pod Coop or homeschooling with neighbors joining: me teaching English/history, DH bio/chemistry, Kahn academy for math. We’d hire a foreign language teacher. If I had a jr/Sr, I’d try to see about getting dual enrollment via online community college.
My boss has 5/8 yr olds. Their neighbors are planning to hire a now online college student to tutor their pod.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
CDC emphasizes reopening schools in new guidance that contradicts past recommendations

The Importance of Reopening America’s Schools this Fall

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have now reached "comedy of the absurd" levels of school options this fall...

One of the elementary school districts hear me presented an all virtual learning plan. Pushback from parents , especially those who have working parents and can't be home all day w/their child.

So the latest plan:

• School district encouraging any student who can stay home, to stay home
  • Teachers will teach from home, not from classroom
  • School will be OPEN for students who cannot be at home to do their "virtual learning" from school - yet these are young children so they won't be at school alone, there will be adult supervision.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps when the experts flip the coin again, it'll change. I can see it now, you call it, no you call it, heads or tails? ;)

Brett

Reaction score
hamp.jpg

over the past three weeks, there has been nothing but bad news in the region’s rising case numbers, positive test rates and hospitalizations, particularly among younger age groups. The recent trends are complicating school boards’ options as they face a deadline to finalize their fall plans.

In Hampton Roads, where the school year starts after Labor Day, most districts are still waiting to make their final decision. Only Chesapeake has announced a plan, with the school board saying earlier this month that families could choose between in-person or virtual instruction. But even that plan will still depend on how much on-campus instruction will be permitted by state health guidelines.

https://www.pilotonline.com/news/ed...0200717-5zvconxdozakpnqiw5gxo766ri-story.html

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Perhaps when the experts flip the coin again, it'll change. I can see it now, you call it, no you call it, heads or tails? ;)

And it ends up like this:
iu

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
And I'll say it again. It doesn't matter what WE post here, what studies are quoted. The states, and individual school districts, are going to formulate their own plans. Those with school age children are unhappy, teachers are unhappy, and those of us who aren't personally impacted are unhappy as well.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is a thread about schools opening, I'm going to limit my posts to schools.

Although it was pretty obvious, just in case some will want to pretend it was not clear to them, I was talking about doctors only to draw contrast to teachers. Many professions have gone back to work on site (or never stopped working like the doctors) but for the teachers' unions it is too "risky" despite the CDC recommendation. You can bet the teachers benefit (like everyone else) from all those businesses and services being open and you can meet them at Costco, Walmart and at the doctor's office. Some are even taking a second job on the side.

The schools should have opened in May like in many countries in Europe but they claimed it was "too soon". It was so predictable that we were going to have the same discussion in the fall. I think the teachers are going to do a lot of damage to the previously good reputation of the education system and to the profession in particular. A lot of parents feel like they have no choice but to go to work and that the teachers are playing games.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'll say it again. It doesn't matter what WE post here, what studies are quoted. The states, and individual school districts, are going to formulate their own plans. Those with school age children are unhappy, teachers are unhappy, and those of us who aren't personally impacted are unhappy as well.

That may be true but, it's always interesting to watch the minds of science, change their minds. ;)

geekette

Reaction score
Although it was pretty obvious, just in case some will want to pretend it was not clear to them, I was talking about doctors only to draw contrast to teachers. Many professions have gone back to work on site (or never stopped working like the doctors) but for the teachers' unions it is too "risky" despite the CDC recommendation. You can bet the teachers benefit (like everyone else) from all those businesses and services being open and you can meet them at Costco, Walmart and at the doctor's office. Some are even taking a second job on the side.

The schools should have opened in May like in many countries in Europe but they claimed it was "too soon". It was so predictable that we were going to have the same discussion in the fall. I think the teachers are going to do a lot of damage to the previously good reputation of the education system and to the profession in particular. A lot of parents feel like they have no choice but to go to work and that the teachers are playing games.
Are you a teacher? Do you interact with hundreds of children every day in a confined space for your profession?

A lot of people feel a lot of ways, but that lends no truth to "teachers are playing games".

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you a teacher? Do you interact with hundreds of children every day in a confined space for your profession?

A lot of people feel a lot of ways, but that lends no truth to "teachers are playing games".
To which I will respond: are you a doctor? Do you work at Costo and interact with thousand of people?

How can teachers in Europe do it? Is it not the same risk for them?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bret, based on your graphs are you saying the best time to start the schools was in May? They said it was too soon! It is never a good time for the teachers. Your graphs are wrong by the way, Swden for example did not even close them

Brett

Reaction score
To which I will respond: are you a doctor? Do you work at Costo and interact with thousand of people?

how do they do it ................. something about a virus and federal government responses

sch.jpg

In the largest state of Bavaria, for example, schools only reopened for all children on June 15. But even then, some restrictions remained in place, according to the state's government. Students were still taught in smaller groups and classes are staggered, so not all students are physically present at the same time.
Most German schools are now shut for the summer holiday. (removed link to political article)

Last edited by a moderator:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our school district (Ann Arbor Public) announced this week that they believe an all-remote start is the right thing to do. The school board will be voting on it next week. Based on first reading, it is expected to pass (to the point that the district has started communication plans.)

geekette

Reaction score

No, not at all the same risk in Europe as here.

my profession has nothing to do with it, you started that path, taking a swipe at teachers, thinking their job is like retail or every other job. hint: it's not. They also are not the ones that get to call the shots.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, not at all the same risk in Europe as here.

my profession has nothing to do with it, you started that path, taking a swipe at teachers, thinking their job is like retail or every other job. hint: it's not. They also are not the ones that get to call the shots.
hint: look at their polls, teachers do not want to go back to school

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
polls?? Yeah, I'm sure that districts are keenly following those ....
And I'm sure if you polled other professions many of them wouldn't have wanted to go back to work either.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I'm sure if you polled other professions many of them wouldn't have wanted to go back to work either.
They did not poll any other professionals if I am not mistaken. That straightens my point.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They did not poll any other professionals if I am not mistaken. That straightens my point.
That is why I said "if". Doesn't straighten your point at all, whatever that means.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To reopen or not to reopen schools and colleges.

This is going to be a Mess.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doctors are aware that treating the public with infectious diseases is part of their job description, teachers are not. I will mention that I work in education and I am currently in a school with students in attendance, and I'm happy to be here because we have taken an abundance of safety measures and there is great value for the students that are currently here.

I don't see how the parallel you are making between doctors and teachers has any merit; teachers should return to work when they are satisfied it will be in a safe enough environment, and because they find the risk acceptable when balanced against the value they are providing to the education and mental health of their students.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Well if California can allow summer camps I see no reason schools can't reopen.

I was at the beach yesterday and 3 yellow school busses pulled in full of kids to spend a day at surf camp. From Pasadena all the way down to Bolsa Chica.

dbbbde478115152b5ad66d1e5d38ffcb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.