• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Schools reopening or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
... teachers should return to work when they are satisfied it will be in a safe enough environment, and because they find the risk acceptable when balanced against the value they are providing to the education and mental health of their students.

Perhaps that should be the case however, will it ever be?

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Brett

Reaction score
Well if California can allow summer camps I see no reason schools can't reopen.

I was at the beach yesterday and 3 yellow school busses pulled in full of kids to spend a day at surf camp. From Pasadena all the way down to Bolsa Chica.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That is why I said "if". Doesn't straighten your point at all, whatever that means.

yes, schools will eventually re-open - straight or not

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is why I said "if". Doesn't straighten your point at all, whatever that means.
I meant strengthens, sorry about that. Yes, for sure it does. Most other professions just went back to work. The teacher's unions used the poll both to see what position to take and then they released it to the public as a pressure tactic. If you believe that this has nothing to do with the teachers and their unions not wanting to go back to school, you have a right to that opinion.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I was at the beach yesterday and 3 yellow school busses pulled in full of kids to spend a day at surf camp. From Pasadena all the way down to Bolsa Chica.

dbbbde478115152b5ad66d1e5d38ffcb.jpg

I know of several camps in Southern California that were prevented from opening. It was my impression all camps in the area were instructed not to open, but I have friends report seeing buses and campers together (at least one report in a residential area). I’m not certain of the exact requirements right now, but it may be that day camps are still permitted (though that would surprise me).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We have now reached "comedy of the absurd" levels

The true comedy of the absurd is the complete fiasco which got us to this point where we are forced as a nation to even have this discussion about schools.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The true comedy of the absurd is the complete fiasco which got us to this point where we are forced as a nation to even have this discussion about schools.

And the source of that comedy is China.
The comedy of errors that has happened since would reduce Dante' to insanity. And yes, plenty of open space in those circles to hold all of those responsible.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
hint: look at their polls, teachers do not want to go back to school
I would not want to go back into a classroom with 30 children who may be asymptomatic carriers, in buildings that may have old and inadequate ventilation, for 6 hours a day.

I am, however, going back to work to see and attend to the needs of ill students and staff members. I am relying on my precaution skills acquired over the past 30 years of nursing, in addition to PPE, and the support of my administration in trying to adhere to best practice.

I am more worried about the teachers than I am about myself. And I am 61 years old with a husband who is high risk.

Brett

Reaction score
The comedy of errors that has happened since would reduce Dante' to insanity. And yes, plenty of open space in those circles to hold all of those responsible.

the "comedy from China" ... if only some people had recognized that the "comedy" was real and not a political hoax
and still believe it's some kind of hoax

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would not want to go back into a classroom with 30 children who may be asymptomatic carriers, in buildings that may have old and inadequate ventilation, for 6 hours a day.

I am, however, going back to work to see and attend to the needs of ill students and staff members. I am relying on my precaution skills acquired over the past 30 years of nursing, in addition to PPE, and the support of my administration in trying to adhere to best practice.

I am more worried about the teachers than I am about myself. And I am 61 years old with a husband who is high risk.

Our school is implementing some preventative measures, but at present is NOT taking any measures to reduce class sizes. That means social distancing in the classroom is not going to be possible. Grrr.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

This is how threads get locked. You just couldn’t let it go, eh?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Speaking of this:

In our case, add to this list the fact that our ducts have not been cleaned since I started working at this location 12 years ago and I really have a bad feeling about this....

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Now that’s amusing.

What you say we just both refrain from going there?
(Unfortunately) there is plenty of other ground to cover around this topic...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I read, or heard, something the other day. It might have been from our governor's briefing, it might have been on a news show. The bottom line was, yes kids need to be back in the classroom. But that doesn't mean they need to be back in the classroom right now.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

dbbbde478115152b5ad66d1e5d38ffcb.jpg

This is common in my area. We no longer go to the beach in Huntington because it’s a hotspot.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
All,

I may have missed this discussion already -- what has been the TUG view on Pandemic Pods?

We are considering one here -- hiring a private teacher to instruct a group of 6+ high school sophomores. We are still working on details (is it a tutor to supplement the basically worthless distance learning, or is it true home schooling, which is challenging to ensure we meet the academic requirements.) Not sure yet what we will do.

My primary concern for Jack is not the academic advancement, it is to prevent social deterioration. Depression and anxiety have been issues for him historically and another year of distance learning can only exacerbate this. We are also considering establishing a surrogate class room for his classmates and inviting a number of class mates to come (there are only 22 sophomores in the entire class -- it's a tiny school -- with outdoor classrooms -- in San Diego -- but it's shut down).

I recognize that Jack has a significant advantage because we can do this -- and I read about people who believe Pandemic Pods exacerbate inequality, but I worry about my son's mental well-being and I have the means to do something about it. Is that wrong??

No good answers here....tough stuff....

Best,

Greg
I am starting a POD because we have 4 elementary age. DL was a disaster especially for SN children. So we are actively pushing for our SD to request a waiver for this small subset as well as our most vulnerable children in need.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I read, or heard, something the other day. It might have been from our governor's briefing, it might have been on a news show. The bottom line was, yes kids need to be back in the classroom. But that doesn't mean they need to be back in the classroom right now.
When did I hear that before? Oh, I remember, it was April and May 2020

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
that's it - bad ducts + Legionnaires' disease + coronavirus = :oops:
schools will never re-open
USA is doomed

You read ahead in the book, didn't you, Brett!

Seriously though, over the last several years, maintenance that should be periodically performed has often been reduced (to the point of elimination) as districts outsource their janitorial staffs to save a few dollars. (Dollars that seem to end up in the pockets of administration making hyper-inflated salaries..) Those of us in public schools can all relate to how fast a stomach bug or flu can move through a school and it seems as if this sort of thing was happening on an increasingly fast basis in the past few years.

The point here being school districts have been very guilty of reducing the efforts and resources available to keep a reasonably clean environment for students and staff. That certainly has not helped the current situation...

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am starting a POD because we have 4 elementary age. DL was a disaster especially for SN children. So we are actively pushing for our SD to request a waiver for this small subset as well as our most vulnerable children in need.
Where are you and GregT going to find a teacher for a POD?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Best of luck to you in this @SteelerGal - I can't speak for everyone here, but with as many TUG'gers as it seems having some connection to the education sector, please keep us updated on how this goes (perhaps even it's own thread??) I'd be glad to point you toward some of the web based resources we are using if that would help....

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Where are you and GregT going to find a teacher for a POD?
We are looking for tutors only. But others are hiring teachers, be retired, on leave, laid off, new teachers, etc.
There’s a FB Group, Pandemic Pods/MicroSchooling, that is helping ppl connect. Some organizations that help charter and private schools, are offering the same Services to parents.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Best of luck to you in this @SteelerGal - I can't speak for everyone here, but with as many TUG'gers as it seems having some connection to the education sector, please keep us updated on how this goes (perhaps even it's own thread??) I'd be glad to point you toward some of the web based resources we are using if that would help....
Thank you. I would love it. We are fortunate that we have the funds however I know many families who do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.