• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Scathing Review of Atlantis Bahamas

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not the best resort in the world for sure but I am getting the feeling that Shawn Coomer (the writer) is not the most pleasant customer to deal with either.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Wahh wahhh I got a free room and the coffee machine needed to be replaced. Wah, the rocks were chipped lol. Get real. Maybe if guests didn’t treat the place like hell it wouldn’t need to be repaired constantly. Or to mention it’s size. I go every year and I have a blast. I stay at harborside so clearly I’m ok with modest accommodations. Staying in the hotel is crap anyway.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yikes. I haven’t been there for years, yet that review is quite believable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Wahh wahhh I got a free room and the coffee machine needed to be replaced. Wah, the rocks were chipped lol. Get real. Maybe if guests didn’t treat the place like hell it wouldn’t need to be repaired constantly. Or to mention it’s size. I go every year and I have a blast. I stay at harborside so clearly I’m ok with modest accommodations. Staying in the hotel is crap anyway.

Even Harborside isn’t perfect. We recognize here that the units themselves are inferior to all other VSN properties, yet ignore those facts because of the overall experience. What gets me is that the service quality mentioned and the lack of customer service. I feel for those who stay at the hotel.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Even Harborside isn’t perfect. We recognize here that the units themselves are inferior to all other VSN properties, yet ignore those facts because of the overall experience. What gets me is that the service quality mentioned and the lack of customer service. I feel for those who stay at the hotel.

Correct, the units are absolutely not comparable to other VSN. But it gets the job done for me. I spend my days making breakfast, watching yachts, gym then beach. The customer service for me is excellent, since I know all the employees lol. Yes, the hotel portion has declined ever since kerzner lost it/ walked away. It’s def seen better days. It’s a 20+ year old resort that has been ravaged by cruise day guests and people with no regard for others property. I honestly would never stay in the hotel at the Atlantis. I feel terrible for those scoffing down Starbucks breakfast muffins knowing I’ll be back in my room making French toast with bananas foster with coconut rum lol. I love the Atlantis, just not the hotel. If I lived on the west coast I’d be in Hawaii all the time. Unfortunately, it’s a 12 hour flight for me

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
We were just there, Atlantis staff were friendly, Harborside Staff were friendly and helpful as well, this guy sounds like a spoiled pompass ass lol No algae in lazy river, no leaking water in Aquarium, all facilities and pools and slides were working, we had a great time. Ignore this guy!!!

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
I am really not sure why one review matters. Trip advisor has 8000 reviews and is 4/5. I thought when I first saw this it was Harborside, since it wasn’t I was like oh well. We have stayed at Harborside 7 times and have always had fun, even when they shut the power down for a day. Staff was very accommodating as well.

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
We go to Atlantis every year and always have a blast. However, I’ve definitely noticed the problems with cost cutting and deferred maintenance; the condition of the resort is deteriorating and doesn’t feel quite up to snuff. We explored Baha Mar last year for the first time and were initially blown away by the “sparkle” of the place... until lackluster experiences at several F&B venues as well as around the property. We’ve always found the service and F&B quality at Atlantis to range from very good to excellent, and Baha Mar was almost universally poor. The facility is definitely “nice” and “new,” but it didn’t take long to wish to be back at Atlantis. Everyone agreed there was no reason to go to Baha Mar again unless you were after Instagram photos.

Long story short, if you want to have fun as a family or a group, and you aren’t a “look at me” celeb or social media influencer, skip Baha Mar and go to Atlantis. If you want upscale, stay at the Cove.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am really not sure why one review matters. Trip advisor has 8000 reviews and is 4/5. I thought when I first saw this it was Harborside, since it wasn’t I was like oh well. We have stayed at Harborside 7 times and have always had fun, even when they shut the power down for a day. Staff was very accommodating as well.
Here's why one review matters. I went to Japan over the summer and stayed at a hotel in Kyoto that for the most part had RAVE reviews on TripAdvisor. People just fawning over this place. I absolutely HATED this hotel after I arrived and honestly could not wait to check out. While I was in Kyoto, I went back to Trip Advisor and filtered on the few low-rated reviews of this hotel. If I had read these minority reviews more closely I would have realized this hotel was not a good "fit" for me. These low reviews all spoke to a "vibe" that the glowing reviewers loved but the minority (like me) found to be unpleasant. This was a huge wake-up call to me when reading reviews. If the negative reviews "speak to you" in a way where you think "yeah that would bug me , too" -- then it's a clue to move on and find a different place.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
TL;DR ... but I suspect they were guilty of flooding their own room. The water main is already shut off ... wife goes into the bathroom to wash her face and finds no water. She likely left the sink's bib open ... but without water running at that present moment. When the resort restored their water main, the author's sink fills and begins a new, localized flood.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
Here's why one review matters. I went to Japan over the summer and stayed at a hotel in Kyoto that for the most part had RAVE reviews on TripAdvisor. People just fawning over this place. I absolutely HATED this hotel after I arrived and honestly could not wait to check out. While I was in Kyoto, I went back to Trip Advisor and filtered on the few low-rated reviews of this hotel. If I had read these minority reviews more closely I would have realized this hotel was not a good "fit" for me. These low reviews all spoke to a "vibe" that the glowing reviewers loved but the minority (like me) found to be unpleasant. This was a huge wake-up call to me when reading reviews. If the negative reviews "speak to you" in a way where you think "yeah that would bug me , too" -- then it's a clue to move on and find a different place.
See, we agree. One review does not matter. With all of the people with different tastes and with all the trolls out there, you have to do some homework. You went back and looked at the low ratings, that is what we tend to do on Amazon etc as well. A good practice in today’s online world.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FYI, he is a prominent blogger with a large following and has reviewed many resorts to compare. So worth more than a random review but also is not the last word.

FWIW...I have never been to Atlantis but it has been on my bucket list. The photos with algae in the lazy river were a huge "ewww." But it also makes me wonder about deferred maintenance on safety. Since this is not in the USA or Canada, it makes me wonder what kind of safety protocols are in place and what legal recourse one has if one is injured.

The fact that an acquiring company with due diligence backed out of a deal because of deferred maintenance gives me pause. YMMV

Last edited:

farinc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ll never understand how people on this board can question an author’s opinion(s). After all, it was their visit and it’s based on their lifestyle and their reference points. Eg I know very young people who are quite happy staying at a motel 8 when they go on vacation. Why? Because they quite probably don’t have the resources to stay at a higher end hotel or resort so their point of reference are hotels that fall into the motel 8 category. But once they have the opportunity to stay in a 6 star hotel, a motel 8 will most likely never look the same. It’s all relative to that person, it’s their opinion and it’s based on their travel history. I like reading about others trips. And so what if they want to be treated like royalty when spending their money. It’s their money. So what!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

This was posted on a popular site with a loyal following. There’s a huge difference between that and one of a million reviews on TripAdvisor. I’m not endorsing the opinion that makes this one review more accurate, but rather more important...especially to the hotel.

Frankly, I believe it. I also believe the others that had a great time. Believing Harborside and the Atlantis staff are great has no impact on my brief that this reviewer accurately represented his experience and the way he was treated by the staff. It won’t stop any of us who have been there and had a good time from visiting again, but it doesn’t make this review any less valuable.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Here's a link to his other review from 2017 that he referenced in the current review. https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/atlantis-beach-towers-initial-review/

He may have valid points - I don't know because I have never been there - but this guy wasn't ok with his free visit. I think that he may be difficult to please. It doesn't change factual information such as deferred maintenance, but his issues with staff may be self inflicted.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I always filter to the lower reviews, i tend to give credit to 2-3-4 star reviews as they are more genuine and honest. 1 star reviews are usually just irate people and 5 are just on some high that I don’t trust. With that being said, I’ve never had an issue there. Yes there are times people trash the place and they try to keep up with it, also no doubt that Bahamar took a lot of the young money crowd away from the Atlantis and the cove. It’s a shame but Atlantis is starting to feel the effects. Bahamar will feel it in 20 years as well.

30 years ago crystal palace was where the Atlantis is now in terms of playing second fiddle to the new kid on the block. Maybe CPalace was in a bit worse of a situation. Atlantis at that time was the Bahamar of today. Now the tables have turned. And unfortunately no one is here to invest and save the Atlantis. I wish sol’s kid never died in that copter crash. Sol lost the drive to build his empire even more. Then he lost and walked away from the Atlantis Bahamas.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Here's a link to his other review from 2017 that he referenced in the current review. https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/atlantis-beach-towers-initial-review/

He may have valid points - I don't know because I have never been there - but this guy wasn't ok with his free visit. I think that he may be difficult to please. It doesn't change factual information such as deferred maintenance, but his issues with staff may be self inflicted.
Agree. My issue is how he dealt w/ employees. I have been to multiple Caribbean Islands and # 1 complaint is how entitled many First Worlders are, especially Americans.. And unfortunately the authors tone places him promptly in that group of First Worlders who are hard to please nor satisfied.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've never had these issues and I think the water issue is likely more of a "one off". We've never had any rude experiences with employees (only really kind and wonderful folks). Harborside and Cove have both been really wonderful places - and even though some deferred maint. is there it's still a wonderful property.

The author sounds like he was being really rude to staff, impossible to make happy (they gave him a gorgeous room and I would have been thrilled with that even with the worse view) and IMO if it was that bad he should have just moved to the Cove and had a wonderful time. :).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
You stay in the Beach Tower, you are in the ghetto of Atlantis. If you want a better experience, book in the Cove Tower.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems all the Atlantis Harborside owners are getting a bit defensive so their rentals don’t tank. Haha

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It seems all the Atlantis Harborside owners are getting a bit defensive so their rentals don’t tank. Haha
Nah, not defensive. The harborside is fine, it’s modest accommodations for a great beach vacation. I would never want to stay in the hotel portion of the Atlantis so tbh I can see why he would give a scathing review. Staying in a hotel o a beach vacation is crap. For me anyway. Rentals at that place have already tanked but it’s still a great place to rent. The grounds have gone down but not to the level of complete garbage.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We all know the Beach Tower sucks, so why hate on the whole Atlantis because this phase is the oldest and cheapest? You want fancy, go to the Cove. As far as I'm concerned, Harborside is just fine.

This is a review of a hotel tower, and really doesn't have anything to do with the timeshare resort.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
BTW, as far as service goes, I don’t know who you dealt with but in my stays at Harborside I can’t recall any that provided exceptional service. I’m fairly critical of service at a resort, does that make me part of that first world problem? Frankly, if so I don’t care. I’m paying for a service, and if it’s supposed to be less than acceptable just because it’s on an island, I would respectively suggest it’s time to reconsider.

I’m also fairly critical of the service on Maui. The Westin staff could improve significantly. I’ve had multiple service issues over the years. I’m fairly forgiving but if it’s acceptable for me to do more or be inconvenienced then there’s something wrong. I’ve had water problems at hotels and if I was treated the way this reviewer was treated I would also be quite upset...yet some of you discount his opinion because he had a free room - sorry, but that’s absurd.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
BTW, as far as service goes, I don’t know who you dealt with but in my stays at Harborside I can’t recall any that provided exceptional service. I’m fairly critical of service at a resort, does that make me part of that first world problem? Frankly, if so I don’t care. I’m paying for a service, and if it’s supposed to be less than acceptable just because it’s on an island, I would respectively suggest it’s time to reconsider.

I’m also fairly critical of the service on Maui. The Westin staff could improve significantly. I’ve had multiple service issues over the years. I’m fairly forgiving but if it’s acceptable for me to do more or be inconvenienced then there’s something wrong. I’ve had water problems at hotels and if I was treated the way this reviewer was treated I would also be quite upset...yet some of you discount his opinion because he had a free room - sorry, but that’s absurd.

I can speak for myself and when I go I get exceptional service, maybe because I know Go a lot and staff know me. But I can say with people on the island, it’s their culture to give exceptional service to those who are respectful. I’ve seen some of the staff take abuse and still have a smile. The overall consensus from some of the employees there is the clientele has changed. I even see it, the guests are demanding and rude. I’d expect them to be even worse. I’ve been to other islands and received far much worse customer service than I’ve ever received in the Bahamas in general.

believe it or not, the VAT has also affected the demeanor of the locals.