• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental strict cancellation policy - Covid19

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I wouldn't give them a refund at this point. It might mess up your entire agreement. Don't you just love how these agents think nothing of having you lose money but when it comes to their commission...

I concur with not giving a refund. Cancellation insurance is always an option, and renters forewent it.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
It’s not like the renters are out $3.4k like this one guy.

After reaching back out to the agent from redweek last night to offer possibly moving to an August week and said it’s all based on availability. She came back asking for a list of weeks. I told her it didn’t work like that, and that I would be willing to try dates but I’m also not going to be a travel service and can’t guarantee anything. I also noted all of the fees that would be associated with canceling, name change on new reservation since then it would be an out of season reservation or if I bring the points to next year, a banking fee and who would reimburse me for those additional fees I have to pay? Her response: any fees incurred would be my responsibility and if I wanted the renter to pay they would need to agree before changing dates. I just said ya know what, I am not going back and forth or am I going to be responsible for any fees because of their fear to travel. Just enforce strict. I felt bad (as I knew I would) and offered a solution to bring the renter. The agent seemed a little too much on the side of the renter, “we will let them know that you would like to enforce the strict cancellation policy”. Redweek is quick to let me lose money while making me out to be the monster to theirs precious renter. If I ever do full service again I will set a strict policy again with a disclaimer in my email to not contact me under any circumstances for refunds.

if I offer 50% I get 1500 bucks and my star options to bank since they are waiving restrictions. I can try again for next year. Thoughts on that?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I just got a request from a rented to cancel and refund a booking for the next week. It's a very expensive week. I advertised on Redweek, self-service, with a Flexible cancellation policy:

"Cancellation policy: Flexible. 100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before check-in. No refund thereafter."

They paid me directly via PayPal. No written rental agreement. I hope I am not exposed in a case of charge back. Will see how it goes.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
...To my knowledge worrying about a virus that is no worse than the flu which they could have gotten from traveling as well is not a qualified claim.

First - I agree this issue is between RedWeek and the Renters, and not yours as per contract.

However, your statement normalizes influenza and C.Virus as not “worse”.
C.Virus is currently at a pandemic stage and has 10x the mortality rate of the flu.
Yes, more people (so far) die from
Flu but that is a binary statistical comparison. Anyone would choose the flu (which I had 2 months ago) to Covid-19.

Just to clarify... per contract they are the same, but not in reality. The flu never caused travel bans, and other mass closures. (Well not since early 1900s...).

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Valerie from RedWeek here! I just wanted to share our 'official' statement on COVID-19:

This is a difficult time. We love to travel, and know if you’re reading this, you do too. We understand that some of you are grappling with the difficult decision of whether to travel right now – we are doing the same. Even if you are not formally restricted from doing so, is an important decision where benefits and risks need to be weighed.

Please view these resources from the CDC on current recommendations

We are doing everything we can to assist during these uncertain times. RedWeek is a travel community that serves both timeshare owners and travelers. We are sympathetic to our members being impacted by the pandemic on both sides of this equation. It’s important to understand that vacation rentals on RedWeek are quite different than booking directly with a resort or hotel. The individual owner of the timeshare books the unit being advertised. In most cases, the owner is not able to simply cancel the booking or change the dates. If a week goes unused, the owner loses both the use of the week for that year and whatever maintenance fees they paid as part of their ownership.

As the intermediary between the owner and renter, we're obligated to follow the terms of the rental agreement that both parties signed. For every cancellation request, we are reaching out to the owner and asking them to please be as flexible as possible, given this unprecedented situation. Some owners may choose to waive or reduce the cancellation fee and some owners may be able to re-book a reservation for a later date. We greatly appreciate any flexibility our owners are willing to extend.

Please know that we are actively monitoring the situation and working will all parties involved to each a fair compromise. We ask that all owners and renters be as patient and as flexible as possible during this difficult time.

Please feel free to email us at support@redweek.com with any questions.

Thanks!

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was redweek full service listing

here are snapshots of the agreement by redweek. I hate being guilted into this.... next time I’m using my own and taking Venmo then changing my email address. I’m tempted to not even respond. Ugh

View attachment 17817View attachment 17818

Hi CPNY!

Valerie from RedWeek here! Please know that on RedWeek Verified rentals, where Online booking is accepted, the owner can choose their cancellation policy. We offer Strict, Moderate and Flexible. If you have a Full Service Rental, just let your rental representative know if you's like something other than Moderate.

Thanks!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hello!

Valerie from RedWeek here! I just wanted to share our 'official' statement on COVID-19:

This is a difficult time. We love to travel, and know if you’re reading this, you do too. We understand that some of you are grappling with the difficult decision of whether to travel right now – we are doing the same. Even if you are not formally restricted from doing so, is an important decision where benefits and risks need to be weighed.

Please view these resources from the CDC on current recommendations

We are doing everything we can to assist during these uncertain times. RedWeek is a travel community that serves both timeshare owners and travelers. We are sympathetic to our members being impacted by the pandemic on both sides of this equation. It’s important to understand that vacation rentals on RedWeek are quite different than booking directly with a resort or hotel. The individual owner of the timeshare books the unit being advertised. In most cases, the owner is not able to simply cancel the booking or change the dates. If a week goes unused, the owner loses both the use of the week for that year and whatever maintenance fees they paid as part of their ownership.

As the intermediary between the owner and renter, we're obligated to follow the terms of the rental agreement that both parties signed. For every cancellation request, we are reaching out to the owner and asking them to please be as flexible as possible, given this unprecedented situation. Some owners may choose to waive or reduce the cancellation fee and some owners may be able to re-book a reservation for a later date. We greatly appreciate any flexibility our owners are willing to extend.

Please know that we are actively monitoring the situation and working will all parties involved to each a fair compromise. We ask that all owners and renters be as patient and as flexible as possible during this difficult time.

Please feel free to email us at support@redweek.com with any questions.

Thanks!
This is the first I’m reading the response. I offered last night new dates but these things as to know are based on availability. With that being said, when you do pay the owner? how do you handle new dates? What protections are in place to protect the owner of a new date? Why are owners responsible for monetary change fees? I’ve been working all day trying to find new renters to fill the slot. The difficult part is this is no longer full service.... I’m doing all of the work. Maybe offer to reopen the listing to find a last minute renter and have the first renter agree to lose money if the new listing has to be reduced. I have been working on trying to find people to take the week and I would offer a reduced refund on the difference. Again, I’m doing all of the work.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
First - I agree this issue is between RedWeek and the Renters, and not yours as per contract.

However, your statement normalizes influenza and C.Virus as not “worse”.
C.Virus is currently at a pandemic stage and has 10x the mortality rate of the flu.
Yes, more people (so far) die from
Flu but that is a binary statistical comparison. Anyone would choose the flu (which I had 2 months ago) to Covid-19.

Just to clarify... per contract they are the same, but not in reality. The flu never caused travel bans, and other mass closures. (Well not since early 1900s...).

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, there is no travel ban to this location. As a matter of fact there are zero cases there and they get multiple visitors daily from cruise ships still no cases yet. Things could change. It’s safer to be there than to be here in NY. Safer to be on a beach more than 6 feet away from people than to be taking mass transit to work, or opening a door handle of a store.

again, I understand it’s a pandemic..... and if the renter became ill I would hope they had travel insurance. Another point brought up, what if they want to cancel my reservation because they found something cheaper somewhere else? I don’t know the underlying reason for cancellations. I’ve booked many non refundable rooms in hotels and sometimes it’s the risk you take. Things happen and you have to be aware of that. I’m not being a jerk and I hate that I feel like I am because I don’t want to lose a rental when I had to turn down other renters after the fact at a higher rental price. I have to pay cancellation fees and more name change fees because the room is outside my home season. I’m responsible? I already offered this well under MF and market rate. It was also booked after the virus outbreak in China.

tink10

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the first I’m reading the response. I offered last night new dates but these things as to know are based on availability. With that being said, when you do pay the owner? how do you handle new dates? What protections are in place to protect the owner of a new date? Why are owners responsible for monetary change fees? I’ve been working all day trying to find new renters to fill the slot. The difficult part is this is no longer full service.... I’m doing all of the work. Maybe offer to reopen the listing to find a last minute renter and have the first renter agree to lose money if the new listing has to be reduced. I have been working on trying to find people to take the week and I would offer a reduced refund on the difference. Again, I’m doing all of the work.

Hi Again CPNY!

We can certainly understand! This is a new & totally unexpected thing for all of us. There is little that we can do to assist with DIY rentals that are solely between an owner and their guest, but we are happy to encourage both parties to work together to come to an agreement. For those that have rented their weeks through RedWeek's Online Booking, we're helping in every way that we can. The rental agreements that are already in place for existing bookings are between the owner and the renter and we cannot mandate that an owner refund a renter if the resort is open for incoming guests.

We're really trying to do all that we can to make this fair and agreeable to both owners and renters alike. We are asking for some flexibility on everyone's part, but if an owner with a RedWeek Online Booking is willing to try to accommodate their guest with new dates, we're going to be adding an addendum to the existing rental agreement. Payment will still be two business days after the new check in date, barring any material disputes, but the rental agreement would still be in place.

If you have concerns about any additional fees, please reach out to us and our team member who handles your booking will absolutely address any concerns that you have. For those who may have had RedWeek Verified rentals or Full Service Rental postings that have resulted in cancellation, we're trying to accommodate owners who may wish to re-advertise their rental.

I'm a timeshare owner myself. I've rented my weeks and have rented from owners and I can definitely empathize with both sides. That being said, We want renters to understand the differences between booking a rental through an owner and booking through the resort directly, along with the challenges and costs that owners may incur in unfortunate times like this.

I hope this helps!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hi Again CPNY!

We can certainly understand! This is a new & totally unexpected thing for all of us. There is little that we can do to assist with DIY rentals that are solely between an owner and their guest, but we are happy to encourage both parties to work together to come to an agreement. For those that have rented their weeks through RedWeek's Online Booking, we're helping in every way that we can. The rental agreements that are already in place for existing bookings are between the owner and the renter and we cannot mandate that an owner refund a renter if the resort is open for incoming guests.

We're really trying to do all that we can to make this fair and agreeable to both owners and renters alike. We are asking for some flexibility on everyone's part, but if an owner with a RedWeek Online Booking is willing to try to accommodate their guest with new dates, we're going to be adding an addendum to the existing rental agreement. Payment will still be two business days after the new check in date, barring any material disputes, but the rental agreement would still be in place.

If you have concerns about any additional fees, please reach out to us and our team member who handles your booking will absolutely address any concerns that you have. For those who may have had RedWeek Verified rentals or Full Service Rental postings that have resulted in cancellation, we're trying to accommodate owners who may wish to re-advertise their rental.

I'm a timeshare owner myself. I've rented my weeks and have rented from owners and I can definitely empathize with both sides. That being said, We want renters to understand the differences between booking a rental through an owner and booking through the resort directly, along with the challenges and costs that owners may incur in unfortunate times like this.

I hope this helps!
Thanks I appreciate it.

Although, payment should be given to the owners a day after the original check in date not the new one if changed at the renters request. If owners with strict cancellation contracts are being asked to be flexible then so should redweek and understand that owners shouldn’t have to wait even longer for payment. Fair is fair especially when that money was being allocated to something before a new check in date.

What would happen If something out of my control stops the renter from being able to go on the new date? Hurricane, fire, another outbreak? You see the risk and aggravation and lost fees owners are apparently expected to pay for. That’s the best. I’m responsible for the cancellation fee if we change the date lol.

I will say, to you last statement as an owner and renter yourself, I too have rented and agreed to strict cancellation policies. During hurricane Dorian half of my party decided not to come and I lost the money I paid. Not only did we do the right thing we told the owner who most likely cancelled the unit and kept their star options, we lost the money.

R.J.C.

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Hi Again CPNY!

I'm a timeshare owner myself. I've rented my weeks and have rented from owners and I can definitely empathize with both sides.

I don't see empathizing with the renter. The unit is available, as promised so the owner upheld their end of the bargain. If the renter makes the choice to not go that is on the renter alone. The owner is not making that choice so why should the owner suffer in the slightest? And as the rental company handling the transaction, why are you even bothering the owner? Isn't he paying you so he doesn't have to deal with this? You can see what policy is in force so do your job and enforce it. Stop trying to please everybody when everybody isn't going to be pleased and do what you are being paid to do.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
we are happy to encourage both parties to work together to come to an agreement. For those that have rented their weeks through RedWeek's Online Booking, we're helping in every way that we can.

We're really trying to do all that we can to make this fair and agreeable to both owners and renters alike. We are asking for some flexibility on everyone's part,

Hey Redweek:

In this case you have been paid to be the owners agent. You are not asking the renter to be flexible. You are asking the owner to be flexible. It is not your place to encourage flexibility. The parties have a contractual agreement that everyone understood. Sticking to it is fair. Suggesting the owner agree to a transfer of the economic hit is just transferring the loss. It doesnt lessen the economic impact, it transfers the loss.

You have done yourself quite a dis-service in opening this issue. I would certainly not use your service.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Anybody Have renter insurance on the trips coming up that’s stepping to the plate?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I just got a request from a rented to cancel and refund a booking for the next week. It's a very expensive week. I advertised on Redweek, self-service, with a Flexible cancellation policy:

"Cancellation policy: Flexible. 100% refund if canceled at least 60 days before check-in. No refund thereafter."

They paid me directly via PayPal. No written rental agreement. I hope I am not exposed in a case of charge back. Will see how it goes.
I don’t see how you would be exposed If they are cancelling after the cancellation policy you set. It is my knowledge that PayPal doesn’t allow timeshare services for this reason so they want to stay out of it. If they “sent money to a friend” that’s on them. If you requested money as a merchant or to pay for a good or service, then they may mediate. It’s why i like Venmo. Venmo’s dispute is simple. If you send the wrong person money that’s on you. Ask them to reverse the funds. We are completely out of it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hey Redweek:

In this case you have been paid to be the owners agent. You are not asking the renter to be flexible. You are asking the owner to be flexible. It is not your place to encourage flexibility. The parties have a contractual agreement that everyone understood. Sticking to it is fair. Suggesting the owner agree to a transfer of the economic hit is just transferring the loss. It doesnt lessen the economic impact, it transfers the loss.

You have done yourself quite a dis-service in opening this issue. I would certainly not use your service.
LOLOLOL they just asked me if I wouldn’t mind contacting the owner and working out new dates then once agreed using they will make an addendum to the agreement lol. Uhhhhhh NO. This is why I chose full service. I know myself I’ll feel bad and break (I’m actually too nice). I feel bad for the renter because I’m about to say no dice. I’m being too flexible but I am not going to be that flexible. I will also never recommmend redweek ever again.

CaliGirl08

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Hi Again CPNY!

I hope this helps!
Why hasnt the full service redweek fee been waived if redweek is asking owners to cancel reservations during this pandemic? Redweek can take part of loses to retain reputation or even pay owners and offer refunds to renters. Cruise lines, airlines, etc are all refunding customers even though they have costs for planes, ships, staff, etc.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
This has nothing to do with RedWeek.com. It was an ebay transaction from late January.

A first-time renter asked yesterday afternoon about canceling a 4BR Presidential unit at Bonnet Creek the week of April 11. I subtracted selling expenses and sent her the balance though PayPal.

We talked about a rental later in the year but that's hard to do without knowing availability and not having a clue when this virus thing will run its course. I told her I'd give her dibs on a 4BR Presidential for spring break in 2021.

She was happy. She'll be back.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve lost $115 for not having insurance. That’s part of the risk.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
LOL n
This has nothing to do with RedWeek.com. It was an ebay transaction from late January.

A first-time renter asked yesterday afternoon about canceling a 4BR Presidential unit at Bonnet Creek the week of April 11. I subtracted selling expenses and sent her the balance though PayPal.

We talked about a rental later in the year but that's hard to do without knowing availability and not having a clue when this virus thing will run its course. I told her I'd give her dibs on a 4BR Presidential for spring break in 2021.

She was happy. She'll be back.
thats my concern. What happens next.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year, I rented for the first time through Redweek using self service option as I did not like that Redweek holds funds until check-in. I have my rental agreement with a strictly no refund clause unless the resort is closed or uninhabitable and I would issue full refund as it would become my problem with the resort. My renter showed up on Sunday just before the BNP Paribas tournament only to be told that the tournament was cancelled. I have not heard from my renter as I assume that they will just find things to do for the 2 weeks.

This same renter has already paid in full for next year's stay, with the same non-refundable clause. Let's hope that this coronavirus pandemic is over by this summer so that rentals across the board won't be further impacted.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Last year, I rented for the first time through Redweek using self service option as I did not like that Redweek holds funds until check-in. I have my rental agreement with a strictly no refund clause unless the resort is closed or uninhabitable and I would issue full refund as it would become my problem with resort. My renter showed up on Sunday just before the BNP Paribas tournament only to be told that the tournament was cancelled. I have not heard from my renter as I assume that they will just find things to do for the 2 weeks.

This same renter has already paid in full for next year's stay, with the same non-refundable clause. Let's hope that this coronavirus pandemic is over by this summer so that rentals across the board won't be further impacted.
Everyone is cancelling and afraid to do anything. It’s probably safer to go into a resort where you can easily be away from people on a beach or pool! I’m hoping air travel isn’t halted everywhere. Can you imagine if they did this every flu season?

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Last year, I rented for the first time through Redweek using self service option as I did not like that Redweek holds funds until check-in. I have my rental agreement with a strictly no refund clause unless the resort is closed or uninhabitable and I would issue full refund as it would become my problem with resort. My renter showed up on Sunday just before the BNP Paribas tournament only to be told that the tournament was cancelled. I have not heard from my renter as I assume that they will just find things to do for the 2 weeks.

Next summer is in jeopardy, reports this week are for 12-18 months.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Next summer is in jeopardy, reports this week are for 12-18 months.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk
If this is to last 12-18 months then everyone needs to resume daily life ASAP and the media needs to find a new news Story. We can’t shut down the world for a year.