• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rental strict cancellation policy - Covid19

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
As a person who occasionally rents out a unit and travels a lot myself I know that some things are not refundable. That's why they get a good deal upfront. There is cancellation insurance for those who want to buy it. I have a cruise to Alaska booked early June. Even though I know I can cancel the cruise there are other components of the trip booked that I likely can't cancel. My loss. This may be one time where planning in advance costs me more money but that is my problem. Life happens and sometimes it costs you if they can afford a holiday at Harborside they can afford the hit on the very reasonable accommodation costs that you provided.
I don’t know everyone’s financial situation but from what I know, their hometown is extremely affluent. EXTREMELY. I had a pay a change fee with delta because I made changes to a flight in Italy, ITALY!! 2 days after their window of travel ended. 2 days outside the trwvel window to Italy where the whole country is shutting down, and they are letting the elderly die to focus on savable patients..... if delta can charge why can’t i?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I would cancel the reservation and bank the points with II or try for another reservation that might rent. I would issue a refund in the form of future travel credit. Try to form a personal relationship with the renter let them understand that you don’t have to but are willing to help them because you hope they will rent from you in the future.

It’s sucks that RedWeek but you in this bind but the one advantage is if you can talk directly to the renter yet you can form a relationship and have a client for life .

I don’t rent my weeks anymore but I used too. The hassle to profit ratio is not high enough anymore. But I had some renters that used to come back ever year when I did and if you can get a client like that it’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Problem is, I am then putting myself in a Risky situation of not finding availability then who drafts that contract? What if I can’t find anything suitable for them? It’s a headache I don’t want or need which is why I paid redweek to be FULL SERVICE !! I could have done this on my own but I don’t want to deal with owners who cancel even after they agree to no refunds. Like when I got the sob story about she was sick and she jumped the gun and booked it blah. I had enough time to get on my horse and find a renter last min for a few hundred less and she agreed to take whatever the new renter was paying. So I basically had to do the work to find a renter. I don’t have enough time to do that now nor do I want to.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Kind of have a new wrinkle in the deal I just realized. The points that are being used for this reservation has been sold and the new deed recorded with the owner this week. They are assuming ownership in 2021. The deed is being sent to vistana to be trasferred the day after this reservation so there were no issues. Can I cancel and bank the options and retain them for the next two years? See, more trouble than it’s worth and why I put a strict cancellation policy

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
As a person who occasionally rents out a unit and travels a lot myself I know that some things are not refundable. That's why they get a good deal upfront. There is cancellation insurance for those who want to buy it. I have a cruise to Alaska booked early June. Even though I know I can cancel the cruise there are other components of the trip booked that I likely can't cancel. My loss. This may be one time where planning in advance costs me more money but that is my problem. Life happens and sometimes it costs you if they can afford a holiday at Harborside they can afford the hit on the very reasonable accommodation costs that you provided.
Exactly. Read and buy insurance. That's life.

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I would stop worrying about this and let the contract stand given the unit is sold and you cannot change the date. If they want to let friends or family use it they can.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I’d say you are okay with holding renter to the contract.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I’d say you are okay with holding renter to the contract.
I feel comfortable with you saying that. I know they can’t get the money back. But am I a jerk for doing so? Argh this is why I wanted strict cancellation so I don’t have to deal with this. I feel bad, when I tried protecting myself. Ridiculous. Never use redweek full service.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I feel comfortable with you saying that. I know they can’t get the money back. But am I a jerk for doing so? Argh this is why I wanted strict cancellation so I don’t have to deal with this. I feel bad, when I tried protecting myself. Ridiculous. Never use redweek full service.
I don’t think you are a jerk. They agreed to the terms, which aren’t unconscionable. I once cancelled a purchase because I was told it was Wyndham GD, but it was CWA purchases are GD. They were upset, but those are the terms of the contract. There are reasons why contracts are in place.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You are within your rights and they were warned upfront. I know some vacation landlords who would take the cancellation, and then re-rent the unit. Remember, that's what a hotel would do in a heartbeat. They prevented others from renting the unit for weeks with their reservation.

If they cancel, you are within your rights to use the unit yourself and keep the money...

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I would cancel the reservation and bank the points with II or try for another reservation that might rent. I would issue a refund in the form of future travel credit. Try to form a personal relationship with the renter let them understand that you don’t have to but are willing to help them because you hope they will rent from you in the future.

It’s sucks that RedWeek but you in this bind but the one advantage is if you can talk directly to the renter yet you can form a relationship and have a client for life .

I don’t rent my weeks anymore but I used too. The hassle to profit ratio is not high enough anymore. But I had some renters that used to come back ever year when I did and if you can get a client like that it’s great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may not be possible to form any kind of personal relationship. I haven't looked at RedWeek.com's rental agreement but if it is a contract between RedWeek.com and the buyer, OP (the owner) has no business getting in the middle of that. Look up privity of contract.

Further, I would not depart from the contract terms. If you disregard them. that puts you out in a no-man's land where everything all of a sudden becomes negotiable.

I don't write rental agreements and I don't use RedWeek's service so my dealings with my renters are different. I DO form relationships; I DO try to work with people on problems. I would try to accommodate a request to cancel. If it is a Wyndham reservation, it's easy if we are still more than fifteen days before check-in. I'll give a refund and either try to re-rent the reservation or cancel and recover my points. Wyndham has a nice "points saver" option that is the equivalent of travel insurance that only covers the price of the rental (no airline fares, no auto rentals, etc.) If I have what I think is a prime reservation, I'll buy the points saver. We've had posts about the point saver in the context of hurricanes. Here's another use of the point saver.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It may not be possible to form any kind of personal relationship. I haven't looked at RedWeek.com's rental agreement but if it is a contract between RedWeek.com and the buyer, OP (the owner) has no business getting in the middle of that. Look up privity of contract.

Further, I would not depart from the contract terms. If you disregard them. that puts you out in a no-man's land where everything all of a sudden becomes negotiable.

I don't write rental agreements and I don't use RedWeek's service so my dealings with my renters are different. I DO form relationships; I DO try to work with people on problems. I would try to accommodate a request to cancel. If it is a Wyndham reservation, it's easy if we are still more than fifteen days before check-in. I'll give a refund and either try to re-rent the reservation or cancel and recover my points. Wyndham has a nice "points saver" option that is the equivalent of travel insurance that only covers the price of the rental (no airline fares, no auto rentals, etc.) If I have what I think is a prime reservation, I'll buy the points saver. We've had posts about the point saver in the context of hurricanes. Here's another use of the point saver.
This is the first time I’ve used redweek full service and most likely my last. I will go back to forming relationships like I’ve done in the past. However I do have a soft side where I want to please everyone. I wouldn’t mind working with them to find an alternative solution but then I’m liable for finding them a solution. I don’t feel like being their personal travel concierge checking dates and locations constantly. Then what? They cancel again because the dog is sick?

again, I lost too much money as it is. I’m contemplating offering 50% of the rental price less all fees I’m responsible for (banking, cancellation, listing, and future name change fees since the options would be carried over) netting them around 35% refund then I keep the points until next year.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
This is the first time I’ve used redweek full service and most likely my last. I will go back to forming relationships like I’ve done in the past. However I do have a soft side where I want to please everyone. I wouldn’t mind working with them to find an alternative solution but then I’m liable for finding them a solution. I don’t feel like being their personal travel concierge checking dates and locations constantly. Then what? They cancel again because the dog is sick?

again, I lost too much money as it is. I’m contemplating offering 50% of the rental price less all fees I’m responsible for (banking, cancellation, listing, and future name change fees since the options would be carried over) netting them around 35% refund then I keep the points until next year.

That would be an extraordinary offer. I would not make it if I were in your situation. Take RedWeek.com out of the picture and I'd do something like what you are contemplating. As someone noted above, make RedWeek's full service be what it says.

Last edited:

OLRi2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake River Island
The Quarter House
Fitzpatrick Castle
Macdonald Villacana Resort
I have used Redweek full service before but haven't dealt with a renter trying to cancel. I am curious if they (the renters) provided a specific written reason for trying to cancel?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@chapjim has a point. We have a ski rental and our renters for New Years (one of our biggest money weeks for covering maintenance and taxes) wanted to cancel 2 days prior to check-in. We explored offering a partial refund for days we could re-rent, but this would have cancelled the entire original VRBO reservation and would give the renter a full refund. So after discussing with our management company we stuck to the contract terms because we didn't want to mess it up with VRBO and the renter. Renters disputed with the credit card company but we prevailed with the contract.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@chapjim has a point. We have a ski rental and our renters for New Years (one of our biggest money weeks for covering maintenance and taxes) wanted to cancel 2 days prior to check-in. We explored offering a partial refund for days we could re-rent, but this would have cancelled the entire original VRBO reservation and would give the renter a full refund. So after discussing with our management company we stuck to the contract terms because we didn't want to mess it up with VRBO and the renter. Renters disputed with the credit card company but we prevailed with the contract.
I replied and had to stick to the contract. I’ve already renting this unit below market rate and turned down offers 500 higher after the renter paid redweek (I forgot to take it down on another site, that killed me).

I hate that they guilted me. Redweek should have said “we are sorry but the owner has strict cancellation policy for a reason and we cannot contact them once the agreement is signed. If you purchased rental insurance we encouraged you to speak with the insurance agency about cancellations”

Again, just to rent the unit and recap some fees I lowered the price by 500 bucks plus the redweek fee of 100 it was 600. Then what? I’d have to pay cancellation too? It’s wrong for them to guilt owners to amend their terms. I’m kind of pissed about that actually. What is the point of paying a premium? It’s bad enough I have to wait until the day after check in to get paid.

also, when you list with redweek full service they do not allow you to select cancellation policy. After the listing was live I went in to check it (thank god). They had it listed with their own policy which was renter can cancel up to 24 hours before check in......... that is horrendous for owners. I emailed customer service and was told that owners have to request to change it AFTER it is listed. So if you don’t know any better and thankfully i checked. I would have been up the creek with no boat or paddle! Don’t you think, if I have to ask for strict cancellation then that’s what they should enforce and not guilt me? Such a stressful day going back and forth feeling bad. Who would feel bad for me when I’m out a few thousand and have to deal with this again next year?? So miffed right now.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have used Redweek full service before but haven't dealt with a renter trying to cancel. I am curious if they (the renters) provided a specific written reason for trying to cancel?
Ask the owner if they will give a full refund for “extenuating circumstances”. I should have responded with “i don’t know what that word means, no refunds” haha. It’s just wrong. They need to stop treating owners like junk. We pay membership fees, we pay listing fees, and we direct would be renters to redweek and encourage them to pay memberships because it’s reputable! I mean come on!!!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Ask the owner if they will give a full refund for “extenuating circumstances”. I should have responded with “i don’t know what that word means, no refunds” haha. It’s just wrong. They need to stop treating owners like junk. We pay membership fees, we pay listing fees, and we direct would be renters to redweek and encourage them to pay memberships because it’s reputable! I mean come on!!!
Ask red week if they will refund all the fees you paid to them and then if they do, offer that as a refund to the renter if they cancel.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Ridiculous. Never use redweek full service.

In fairness to Redweek, their standard contract is why you are in the best legal situation. (you checked off strict cancellation) You have a very clear contract.

I rent out my own beach house and my SDO, and I never bother with contacts. Mostly worked out. I have a strict cancellation policy, and I put it in plain language in every email confirming a booking, with the confirmation being subject to the agreed deposit. Final payment of the balance is always 30 days prior to check-in.

I charge either $500 or 50% upon booking. My Prince Edward Island beach house rents for $2750 week and I take a $500 deposit with the balance due 30 days prior to the scheduled rental.

If you don't know where Prince Edward Island is, check us out. The gentle island in the north east of Canada.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
In fairness to Redweek, their standard contract is why you are in the best legal situation. (you checked off strict cancellation) You have a very clear contract.

I rent out my own beach house and my SDO, and I never bother with contacts. Mostly worked out. I have a strict cancellation policy, and I put it in plain language in every email confirming a booking, with the confirmation being subject to the agreed deposit. Final payment of the balance is always 30 days prior to check-in.

I charge either $500 or 50% upon booking. My Prince Edward Island beach house rents for $2750 week and I take a $500 deposit with the balance due 30 days prior to the scheduled rental.

If you don't know where Prince Edward Island is, check us out. The gentle island in the north east of Canada.
Of course I do! Best mussels lol. You’re right, but a signed contract with emails back and forth and Venmo or PayPal it’s up to me to Refund. I get that it is still up to me here as well, I feel that full service should mean full service not, kinda full but we will see if you will change your policy because of people’s nerves. Don’t get me wrong I am extremely sympathetic to what is going on. I live in nyc and home with a persistent dry cough after a week of all of the symptoms. Although mild, i had enough to say, yes this is most likely that cold...... they won’t test me and if I can’t breathe then come to the ER. In the meantime drink delsym and stay home (good thing I have enough TP HAH.) So I get what is going on is serious. However, being out some money toward maint fees i was counting on isn’t fair to me. This is why I’m upset with redweek. I feel guilty, like if I should have been more accommodating or more sensitive to what’s happening, that’s not fair for redweek to put on me. Don’t ask me, enforce the agreement like I paid you to. Am I being unreasonable?!

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
This just in from VRBO this morning:

Vrbo

A message from our president, Jeff Hurst
To our family of partners,
We understand the recent coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) brings uncertainty to travel and your business, and I want to personally reach out to offer support and guidance.

At Vrbo we are closely monitoring the situation with the safety of you and our travelers in mind. As you evaluate future stays, we encourage you to review local travel recommendations and restrictions, in addition to following guidance from the World Health Organization.
In times of stress and worry, it’s important for us to continue to give people the space to relax and connect with one another. COVID-19 is impacting some willingness to travel away from home, but families still want to take vacations – and desire the privacy and amenities your vacation homes provide. We support and encourage you to continue welcoming guests, while understanding that some travelers are having to make tough decisions based on the safety of the people who matter most to them.

This is a good time to review your cancellation policy and consider adopting a flexible or moderate policy for the time being. Because this is an evolving situation, travelers may reach out to cancel or delay travel plans. In the spirit of good hospitality, we strongly encourage you to offer a full refund. When you do, Vrbo will also refund our Traveler Service Fee in full. We know this impacts your business and we will waive related cancellations so they don’t affect your ranking metrics.
To get a cancellation waived, you will need to cancel, refund the reservation in full, and call customer support at your earliest convenience. Our customer support team is standing by to help with your listing or any upcoming reservations. You can also visit the Vrbo help page to learn more about our policies.
We thank you for supporting this collective effort as you continue to deliver amazing experiences to family travelers everywhere.
On behalf of the Vrbo family,
Jeff Hurst
President, Vrbo

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@CPNY good thing you checked the cancellation policy. What were they thinking?

I also was upset that my management company came to me with this issue and didn't take care of it. I finally realized that they are concerned about their ratings and the renters threaten them with bad reviews. (in our case the renter apparently called our agent some names too. But handling customer interactions is what I am paying them for :).) By saying, "We spoke with the homeowner, they are denying the refund." It gives them an excuse to not sound like uncaring legal hard-asses when they respond to the negative reviews.

The problem with Covid-19 is that even if the renter had purchased insurance, many insurance policies include "epidemic" as an uncovered reason. Insurance companies, rate similarly to TS sales reps in my book...weasels. You must look at the fine print to understand what you are buying.

Last edited:

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I do rent out units, but not as a business. With this outbreak being such a rare occurrence, I expect that I will be unable to rent out one unit until well near the use date in October 20. But thats on the assumption the virus has turned the corner. My policy, you rent it it's yours. What ever happens is your risk. Get insurance, understand the terms and consequences of cancellation. But I will try to find another renter which would mitigate the cancellation cost. While symathetic, I don;t get why people think they can pass on their problems to me.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
@CPNY good thing you checked the cancellation policy. What were they thinking?

I also was upset that my management company came to me with this issue and didn't take care of it. I finally realized that they are concerned about their ratings and the renters threaten them with bad reviews. (in our case the renter apparently called our agent some names too. But handling customer interactions is what I am paying them for :).) By saying, "We spoke with the homeowner, they are denying the refund." It gives them an excuse to not sound like uncaring legal hard-asses when they respond to the negative reviews.

The problem with Covid-19 is that even if the renter had purchased insurance, many insurance policies include "epidemic" as an uncovered reason. Insurance companies, rate similarly to TS sales reps in my book...weasels.
Ok, so after emailing the broker my situation of already taking a loss on the MF for this well below market rental and told them unfortunately I can not afford to be without the rental income I softened up just a bit. I checked availability and found a room in August. I said if they want I can change to August. They came back to be asking for a list of weeks to choose from. I then explained once again that I am not a travel agent, I can only look into my booking system and see what’s available at that time, there is no guarantee that the week would be available when they said yes. Also, I would be incurring name change fees, cancellation fees and this listing fee. Who would reimburse me for those? The agent said matter of fact, any additional fees are your responsibility. With that I said no thanks enforce as strict no cancellation no changes no refunds. Really?!?! she wants me to bend over backwards and lose more money? The audacity. I was feeling bad for not allowing cancellation but now I don’t. I’m not going to let myself be taken advantage of. As it gets closer I may offer a 50% refund less all fees and if they don’t take that then I’ll get paid.

if insurance companies are allowing claims, why should John and Jane the owners lose money? Ps they live in the richest town in America.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I do rent out units, but not as a business. With this outbreak being such a rare occurrence, I expect that I will be unable to rent out one unit until well near the use date in October 20. But thats on the assumption the virus has turned the corner. My policy, you rent it it's yours. What ever happens is your risk. Get insurance, understand the terms and consequences of cancellation. But I will try to find another renter which would mitigate the cancellation cost. While symathetic, I don;t get why people think they can pass on their problems to me.
I’ve listed it. If I can find another renter I will absolutely rent it and offer a refund. The renter should do the same.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I wouldn't give them a refund at this point. It might mess up your entire agreement. Don't you just love how these agents think nothing of having you lose money but when it comes to their commission...