• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question Amex

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
I'm confused on the selecting an airline thing. Is this different than how it works with the Platinum (I just dump it all into Uniited's travel bank)? Do you have to preselect an airline with Aspire (and is it then good for straight tickets, too, or do you have to play the travel bank game)?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I'm confused on the selecting an airline thing. Is this different than how it works with the Platinum (I just dump it all into Uniited's travel bank)? Do you have to preselect an airline with Aspire (and is it then good for straight tickets, too, or do you have to play the travel bank game)?
You used to, just like the plat, but now it has changed

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Ahh, I think I see how it works now (read the fine print). I guess the Travel Bank advantage is it removes the time pressure of the quarterly credit timing (or just fly often enough).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Ahh, I think I see how it works now (read the fine print). I guess the Travel Bank advantage is it removes the time pressure of the quarterly credit timing (or just fly often enough).

Actually, now that it works legitimately on airfare, there is minimal advantage to the Travel Bank. This can be done with any airline by buying and cancelling a cheap ticket each quarter or, odd as this may sound, actually flying as you suggest :)

Cheers.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Actually, now that it works legitimately on airfare, there is minimal advantage to the Travel Bank. This can be done with any airline by buying and cancelling a cheap ticket each quarter or, odd as this may sound, actually flying as you suggest :)

Cheers.
That's a great point. Appreciate it!

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
The big benefit for United Travel Bank is that Travel Bank credits don't expire for 5 years. Flight credits expire after 1 year.

That's a good point. Although, if one is not able to use this bit of credit in less than 5 years, I question the wisdom of parking the funds in the Travel bank.

Cheers.

Lodemia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Craigendarroch(2),Coylumbridge(5),Boulevard(4),Kings'Land(1),W 57th(1),District(2)
I use the travel bank because it allows me to "stack rewards." For example, if my wife (no status) books a flight with the united card and uses funds from travel bank, it shows as if she booked it all using the united card, which triggers the free baggage benefit. Maybe this is an obscure way to maximize things, but throwing it out there in case someone else can benefit.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I use the travel bank because it allows me to "stack rewards." For example, if my wife (no status) books a flight with the united card and uses funds from travel bank, it shows as if she booked it all using the united card, which triggers the free baggage benefit....
Wow...and thanks. Learn something new every day...

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
How are people getting multiple Aspire cards? Can you get them in a business name even if Amex doesn't offer a business Aspire card?
If you don’t have 5 Amex personal or business then you just apply directly for another. Sometimes you will get an upgrade offer on the Surpass to upgrade to Aspire. I have not yet though.

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
If you don’t have 5 Amex personal or business then you just apply directly for another. Sometimes you will get an upgrade offer on the Surpass to upgrade to Aspire. I have not yet though.
If you upgrade the card, are you still eligible for the new 180k aspire sub? I’m looking to get the aspire card now, but currently have the surpass.

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
If you upgrade the card, are you still eligible for the new 180k aspire sub? I’m looking to get the aspire card now, but currently have the surpass.
No you would miss out on the Welcome bonus. It would only be good if you already had one.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you get an upgrade offer with bonus points in the offer. That is how I got mine several years ago. Your other option is to just get a second card (and cancel the Surpass card prior to the renewal date. I don't know if you can refer yourself but you can refer your spouse.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As @GT75 wrote, if you get a Surpass to Aspire upgrade offer from AMEX you will get the SUB described...but the last time I got one was around 3 years ago. I was waiting to get an offer to upgrade and then the new rules for Surpass and Aspire came out this year that made it a good deal to own both (so I got a new Aspire as well).

GMan82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara, a Hilton Grand Vacations Club
West 57th by Hilton Club
When I login to Amex it says I’m eligible for an upgrade but it doesn’t list an offer. I think I’ll just call them after I call Hgv to fix a guest certificate issue that seems to have disappeared after I modified an existing reservation for this sale.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I’m not sure if I just don’t know how to use this or what…but is the Seaworld HGVC on there and count as well?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it is a crappy search engine. If you put in the state of Florida, it shows no resorts, which we know isn't true.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Search is horrible. I found if I put in a location and dates and search on Hilton.com

Then hit "All Filters" button
then select "Hotel Types" "Resorts" it will list the eligible resorts in an area.

Last edited: