• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question Amex

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I certainly agree with the sound financial advice being given here.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I asked Amex Aspire customer service rep this morning, and they confirmed, yes, this the case, for new cards after Oct 19th announcement, new applications get $200 now until end of year, and $200 again starting next year. Existing card member before Oct. 19 announcement gets $250 until end of this year if not used up yet after anniversary date/year.

I will put it to the test since I just applied for and approved for 2nd Amex Aspire card this morning. Although no SUB as compared to getting Surpass and upgrading a year later, I wanted FNC right away after paying annual fee, because I have a plan use for it next year. Plus, to me, the Aspire is still a no brainer keeper card anyways with HGVC MF dues that we have to pay anyways, and my family favor flying Southwest due to free check-in baggage. Don't have status with any airlines nor have any of the airline credit cards.

Great3
You can get two Aspire cards for yourself and then two for your wife. We have done this for years and love getting paid $200 and four FNA from Amex. And will get another FNA for paying $15K in MF on one card.

I am thinking of product changing our last Surpass to Aspire. I hate doing the $50 every quarter thing with Hilton surpass (have to do this with Aspire already for airline credit). Twice a year is bad enough (for $200 credit) but I can at least partial pay four contracts on Dec 25. Then on Jan 1 pay another four contracts to use up the credit.

I know with MVC online, I can partial pay a MF but don't remember if we can with HGVC?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Mine is just in my own name. Just apply for it again on the AMEX website, you don't need another name or put in name of business. You just don't get the SUB again. They just issue you another account number, and of course, send you another shiny new card.

Great3
My advice is to apply and get the Surpass to get the Sign Up bonus if you have never had Surpass card. Then product change to the Aspire after you get the sign up bonus of 170K HH Pesos right now. I believe you can product change immediately with Amex. I know Chase requires you to be over 1 year with same product before you can product change.

You can have two cards of same product in your name at least. Wife and I have two apiece for a total of 4.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tk25

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
What if preexisting Aspire AMEX annual renewal date is in early December will I get another $250 before 12/31/2023? Then would I get the biannual $200 in 2024?

In any case will find out in December 2023 When I pay some HGVC resort dues.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
What if preexisting Aspire AMEX annual renewal date is in early December will I get another $250 before 12/31/2023? Then would I get the biannual $200 in 2024?

In any case will find out in December 2023 When I pay some HGVC resort dues.

I believe you will. I hadn't used my Amex Resort Credit this year (May reset) and just used it after the changes announced. My wife's card resets in Mid November and I should be able to use that before EOY and then $200 on each after 1/1/24.

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
i read the aspire terms quickly. if the annual fee is $550, and the credits are $200 + $400, what are the other monetary perks that make it worthwhile?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
i read the aspire terms quickly. if the annual fee is $550, and the credits are $200 + $400, what are the other monetary perks that make it worthwhile?
$200 + $400 = $600

$600 > $550

It’s worthwhile.

Plus you get 1 free FNC; an additional FNC at $30K spend; and an additional FNC at $60K spend. If you use Clear, up to another $189 back. And you get more HH points per dollar spent.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
And for clarity, the MFs we pay qualify for the $400 credit? Or just the Club Fee? Honestly, this seems like a heck of a card.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
And for clarity, the MFs we pay qualify for the $400 credit?
That depends on where you own. MFs for certain of the resorts qualify, but some do not.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
That depends on where you own. MFs for certain of the resorts qualify, but some do not.
From earlier in the thread, is it all of the resorts here (or searching from that page and are filtered as "Resort" in Hiltons search tool)? I'm in Kings Land, so if that's the case then I should be good.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From earlier in the thread, is it all of the resorts here (or searching from that page and are filtered as "Resort" in Hiltons search tool)? I'm in Kings Land, so if that's the case then I should be good.
Based on the terms and conditions from AMEX it's those that are filtered as resorts on the Hilton search tool. As noted elsewhere, the implementation of the credits sometimes diverges in the favorable direction from the terms and conditions. If Kings Land is listed in the filtered search tool you should be ok.

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
$200 + $400 = $600

$600 > $550

It’s worthwhile.

Plus you get 1 free FNC; an additional FNC at $30K spend; and an additional FNC at $60K spend. If you use Clear, up to another $189 back. And you get more HH points per dollar spent.
Thanks for the info, and the lesson in math ;).

What is FNC?

I'm not great at keeping track of this type of stuff so I see the $50 benefit 'overage' as limited, in comparison to me messing up and being $550 out of pocket, that I might not regain.

So $50 upside potential, compared to potential $550 downside is the reason for my Q.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
What is FNC?
Free Night Certificate. We just used our first one for Canopy by Hilton Trocadero in Paris after our Seine river cruise. Two-ish blocks from the Eiffel Tower, breakfast included.

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Free Night Certificate. We just used our first one for Canopy by Hilton Trocadero in Paris after our Seine river cruise. Two-ish blocks from the Eiffel Tower, breakfast included.
That sounds amazing!

My math brain is saying $30K spend for, let's say $500 room? I have no idea what a GREAT room in Paris is worth these days. But on my 2% cash card I can get $600 back on $30K to spend wherever. Every time I do this math, for travel, or airline cards, I consistently decide to take the cash route so I can spend it without planning.

I'm still a noob at retirement life though. Maybe I will learn some day.

Last edited:

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
My math brain is saying $30K spend for, let's say $500 room?
But Aspire includes an FNC once a year as a premium card perk. I agree that I’m not going to put enough spend on that card to earn a second FNC in a year, but I can put that first one to good use, The card already more-or-less paid for itself with the resort credit plus the airline credit, so the FNC plus the bump in HH points were gravy

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
But Aspire includes an FNC once a year as a premium card perk. I agree that I’m not going to put enough spend on that card to earn a second FNC in a year, but I can put that first one to good use, The card already more-or-less paid for itself with the resort credit plus the airline credit, so the FNC plus the bump in HH points were gravy
thanks! i may have skimmed by the annual FNC, so that's a plus.

in another thread i'm considering the delta reserve card, another $550 card.

based on our current travel, both cards, or one each for my wife and myself, would start to feel complicated to collect all the value offered by both.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

based on our current travel, both cards, or one each for my wife and myself, would start to feel complicated to collect all the value offered by both.
Aspire also gives you Diamond status with Hilton. That is on the hotel side, of course, and generally results in upgraded rooms for me. I typically use my FNC at a Waldorf Astoria that would cost >$750 for the night and often get upgraded to suites.

That sounds amazing!

My math brain is saying $30K spend for, let's say $500 room? I have no idea what a GREAT room in Paris is worth these days. But on my 2% cash card I can get $600 back on $30K to spend wherever. Every time I do this math, for travel, or airline cards, I consistently decide to take the cash route so I can spend it without planning.

I'm still a noob at retirement life though. Maybe I will learn some day.

Math lesson #2: On the $30K spend, you would also get a minimum of 3x HH points, or 90K along with the FNC. If you value the FNC at $500 and a point at half a cent, that would get you $500 + $450 = $950 in value as compared to $600. There is the catch that you have to use that value at a Hilton and enjoy staying at their luxury brands, though. YMMV.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas

It does take some effort to get value from these cards. Between us we have 5 high-cost cards (Two Aspire, Amex Platinum, Bonvoy Brilliant, Chase Sapphire Reserve) and a number of $100ish cards (Tho Chase Hyatt, Two Alaska, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Marriott), and get value out of all of those cards enough to be worth something like $3K in fees, all told (Amex Platinum is questionable these days).

With this, we have top status at Hilton and Hyatt and mid-tier (with late checkout and breakfast) at Marriott. Plus a bunch of other rebates and such. But travel hacking is my hobby, so we're dialed in on this :)

Related to this: we never spend for the added FNC on Aspire. Spend goes to Hyatt which, to us, is far more valuable than Hilton.

Cheers.

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
It does take some effort to get value from these cards. Between us we have 5 high-cost cards (Two Aspire, Amex Platinum, Bonvoy Brilliant, Chase Sapphire Reserve) and a number of $100ish cards (Tho Chase Hyatt, Two Alaska, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Marriott), and get value out of all of those cards enough to be worth something like $3K in fees, all told (Amex Platinum is questionable these days).

With this, we have top status at Hilton and Hyatt and mid-tier (with late checkout and breakfast) at Marriott. Plus a bunch of other rebates and such. But travel hacking is my hobby, so we're dialed in on this :)

Related to this: we never spend for the added FNC on Aspire. Spend goes to Hyatt which, to us, is far more valuable than Hilton.

Cheers.
I agree. We spend to the $15k on Surpasses, Hilton Business then switch to Chase Hyatt. We’ve used 5 FNC so far this year and already have 2 Hilton FNC and 2 Hyatt 1-4. Dislike that the Hyatt is such low value though.

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
Amex pop-up jail! So may have to wait until next year!
Pop up jail does not mean you are not approved for the card. Many people have had the pop up and can still be approved.

All it means is you are not qualified for the welcome bonus promo.

If you change web browsers, go incognito and try different links, you can most likely get an approval.

People will give you all this fancy advice to spend more exc, but no one but Amex really knows the secret sauce and why they do it.

My theory is that they only give out so many Promos in certain regions of the country, at certain times, for certain income levels, with certain credit scores.

Your volicity of opening, closing, cheating the system, not paying on time may also play a small factor.

Basically, just keep trying. I have 3 that I was initially in popup for that I kept applying via incognito and different links/browsers and was approved latter that week.

Last edited:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Well, paid part of the Blvd MFs with the wife's Aspire, bought a main seat flight on Delta that refunds to eCredit on both our Aspires, and some flowers on my wife's Aspire....

After getting the Delta credit, I then cancelled both flights for the eCredits that we will use for spring break. I will do it again after Jan 1st.

1699271600155.png

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Well, paid part of the Blvd MFs with the wife's Aspire, bought a main seat flight on Delta that refunds to eCredit on both our Aspires, and some flowers on my wife's Aspire....

After getting the Delta credit, I then cancelled both flights for the eCredits that we will use for spring break. I will do it again after Jan 1st.

View attachment 83695
so buy delta tix to get the aspire credit, then cancel to move that to a delta credit? brilliant!

can the e-credit be used on any class fare?

i have two EOY deeds for ODD years. if all i have is annual membership dues that won't count, right?

can you pre-pay MF to have a credit when they are due?