• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question Amex

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love the Waldorf Astoria DC! Hope you had the chance to get dinner at The Bazaar, too. There are a few additional deals to use there with In Kind.

I did eat at The Bazaar, Twice (and boy, was it excellent food)... but didn't know about InKind. Didn't even think of it! Oh well, next time...

Great3

Last edited:

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
How are people getting multiple Aspire cards? Can you get them in a business name even if Amex doesn't offer a business Aspire card?
Mine is just in my own name. Just apply for it again on the AMEX website, you don't need another name or put in name of business. You just don't get the SUB again. They just issue you another account number, and of course, send you another shiny new card.

Great3

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are people getting Aspire credits for MF making charges in whole dollar amounts like $200 or $250?

Asking because I had charges at Elara ($199 club dues and $655 resort activation fee) that didn't trigger the Aspire credits even though Elara is included in the resorts that should trigger the credit. I think @letsgobobby had a similar issue at Elara, can't remember if that was resolved after calling? (I think it was resolved but couldn't find the follow up post about it) I never called about mine because I hate the time and hassle of calling about stuff like that. @1Kflyerguy reported that his resort activation fee at Elara triggered the Aspire credit but I believe that was in a previous calendar year.

I did have charges at Boulevard later on that did trigger the credit but they weren't even dollar amounts, they were irregular amounts (ie - $51.67 rather than $50). Curious if those with whole dollar amounts had issues with the Aspire credit? I'm wondering if that was the reason why my Elara charges didn't trigger the Aspire credit.
I don't know about Elara, since I own at HGVC Paradise on Karen... and it worked fine for me last year, in whole numbers. I just paid my MF dues for this 2024 year, so we will see if it works out again this year. I expect it to, but don't count my chickens until I see them hatched.

I think it should work fine for your Las Vegas BLVD, even in whole numbers. Just odd what you are seeing / reporting, I don't know why that would be. It's probably a loophole that MF dues work for the resort credits, one that I think they might clamp down on if enough people complain and bring to their attention. So, I will take it while it lasts, but know / expect that it may eventually end. Good luck to you, I hope it will work out.

Great3

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Are people getting Aspire credits for MF making charges in whole dollar amounts like $200 or $250?

Asking because I had charges at Elara ($199 club dues and $655 resort activation fee) that didn't trigger the Aspire credits even though Elara is included in the resorts that should trigger the credit. I think @letsgobobby had a similar issue at Elara, can't remember if that was resolved after calling? (I think it was resolved but couldn't find the follow up post about it) I never called about mine because I hate the time and hassle of calling about stuff like that. @1Kflyerguy reported that his resort activation fee at Elara triggered the Aspire credit but I believe that was in a previous calendar year.

I did have charges at Boulevard later on that did trigger the credit but they weren't even dollar amounts, they were irregular amounts (ie - $51.67 rather than $50). Curious if those with whole dollar amounts had issues with the Aspire credit? I'm wondering if that was the reason why my Elara charges didn't trigger the Aspire credit.
my problem was at Lagoon but otherwise as you described. My plan is to charge non even number dollar amounts in the future.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Mine is just in my own name. Just apply for it again on the AMEX website, you don't need another name or put in name of business. You just don't get the SUB again. They just issue you another account number, and of course, send you another shiny new card.

Great3
Both my wife and I got one, separately.

I am not sure club dues or activation fees work since those are corporate charges versus resort charges. When you have a charge to a specific properties, like direct purchases at the properties like at the restaurant, HOA fees (MFs) or purchasing certain properties like Craig Lodges (since they are purchased directly through the property versus through the corporate office), then those trigger the resort credit, if that property is eligible.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Both my wife and I got one, separately.

I am not sure club dues or activation fees work since those are corporate charges versus resort charges. When you have a charge to a specific properties, like direct purchases at the properties like at the restaurant, HOA fees (MFs) or purchasing certain properties like Craig Lodges (since they are purchased directly through the property versus through the corporate office), then those trigger the resort credit, if that property is eligible.

I just charged my Club Dues at Valdoro and it got reimbursed.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I also got reimbursed previously when I paid my club dues when they were billed at Kings Land. Now my club dues are assigned to Boulevard (since it is now the oldest resale deed) and I haven't paid them yet.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be curious how they show up on the bill, HGV or Valdoro, since that seems to be one of the catches to getting the credit.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
I would be curious how they show up on the bill, HGV or Valdoro, since that seems to be one of the catches to getting the credit.

As @GT75 stated, it’s the Club Dues. I actually have All In, so it was $354. It’s shows on the AMEX app as Hilton GV Valdoro HOBreckenridge CO.

HedonisticEpicurean

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
*Kings Land - 2 weeks
*Phoenician - 3 weeks
*Table Rock (RCI) - 2 w
*St. Regis NY - 4 w
*La Pacifica - 1 week
I'm sure no one here carries a credit card balance (I sure hope not), but in researching this card I think I want to start a credit card business.....haha

Seriously, I feel bad for any individual who doesn't pay off their card monthly with 20.99% to 29.99% variable APR on purchases. WOW. No wonder airlines and hotels have become pseudo credit card businesses with wings and beds. Having a couple extremally small businesses I cringe every month when I see our merchant fee line item. I know my teams gets tired of me hounding them to find cheaper card processing.

In reading the information I see why so many of you suggest this card if you can make 14x on maintenance fees etc. Good tactical move.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm sure no one here carries a credit card balance (I sure hope not), but in researching this card I think I want to start a credit card business.....haha

Seriously, I feel bad for any individual who doesn't pay off their card monthly with 20.99% to 29.99% variable APR on purchases. WOW. No wonder airlines and hotels have become pseudo credit card businesses with wings and beds. Having a couple extremally small businesses I cringe every month when I see our merchant fee line item. I know my teams gets tired of me hounding them to find cheaper card processing.

In reading the information I see why so many of you suggest this card if you can make 14x on maintenance fees etc. Good tactical move.
If the new credit card regulations pass congress, it should help you. We will see if it hurts the rewards though. I know that is the scare tactic by MasterCard and Visa to stop it, fear mongering loss of rewards, but I don't think it will affect them. There is still competition between cards so that will continue to drive perks.

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Club Dues appear as an charge from an individual HOA and not a corporate charge from HGVC directly. I suspect that annual Club Dues show up from the HOA of the first deed you purchased but it's my first year and I haven't seen a charge for my 2024 dues yet.

For those who own at multiple locations , do your club dues come from the first location you purchased?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Club Dues appear as an charge from an individual HOA and not a corporate charge from HGVC directly. I suspect that annual Club Dues show up from the HOA of the first deed you purchased but it's my first year and I haven't seen a charge for my 2024 dues yet.

For those who own at multiple locations , do your club dues come from the first location you purchased?
Ours do. But, interestingly, I am in the process of dumping that deed so, I guess it will shift to the next one

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
We've always paid exact dollar amounts on at least one card and not had a problem. Usually Blvd.

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the new credit card regulations pass congress, it should help you. We will see if it hurts the rewards though. I know that is the scare tactic by MasterCard and Visa to stop it, fear mongering loss of rewards, but I don't think it will affect them. There is still competition between cards so that will continue to drive perks.
This is also being reported as a possibility in several travel blogs, hen again, they get incentives from the credit cards in most cases as advertising, so it may be the same thing.

But if the fees that the CCs can get really are limited, this is certainly possible.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is also being reported as a possibility in several travel blogs, hen again, they get incentives from the credit cards in most cases as advertising, so it may be the same thing.

But if the fees that the CCs can get really are limited, this is certainly possible.

Cheers.
It only requires banks to offer more than one network option. Those that allow Amex, already do, so it won't affect them at all. It is MasterCard and Visa that dominate and limit. It will really only affect them and they are the ones complaining. In theory, it would reduce charges which would help small business the most but we will see.

Reactions: brp

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It only requires banks to offer more than one network option. Those that allow Amex, already do, so it won't affect them at all. It is MasterCard and Visa that dominate and limit. It will really only affect them and they are the ones complaining. In theory, it would reduce charges which would help small business the most but we will see.
Right. But, if I understand it correctly, this would allow merchants to choose processors for Visa/MC that ave lower fees for the credit cards. That could have an impact on Visa/MC benefits in the end. Since our primary benefits are from Visa, this would matter to us.

But, as you say, we shall see how this rolls out.

Cheers.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Right. But, if I understand it correctly, this would allow merchants to choose processors for Visa/MC that ave lower fees for the credit cards. That could have an impact on Visa/MC benefits in the end. Since our primary benefits are from Visa, this would matter to us.

But, as you say, we shall see how this rolls out.

Cheers.
We are the opposite. We almost never use Visa/MC and only do when a place doesn't accept Amex.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I suspect that annual Club Dues show up from the HOA of the first deed you purchased
Actually, it is the oldest dated deed. So if you buy a resale deed that has an original owner dated older than your current oldest, the club dues will then show up on that MF bill.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are the opposite. We almost never use Visa/MC and only do when a place doesn't accept Amex.

We're pretty much Hyatt, and that's Chase Visa. PP through CSR. Trip and car rental insurance through CSR. Amex has things to offer, but they're not spend-based, so we just use them. But there are many different uses for CC perks.

Cheers.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Never carry a balance on your cc that isn't PIF when billed. Incurring any interest charges immediately nulifies whatever value you obtain by the CC. Now the CC company wants you to NOT PIF, but that doesn't mean I have to play into their hand.

Just don't spend more than you can pay in any one month. Pay attention to what you buy and have to pay for.

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if I may add to the above - if you're carrying a credit card balance you probably shouldn't be buying a timeshare!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
And if I may add to the above - if you're carrying a credit card balance you probably shouldn't be buying a timeshare!

You should never fund a timeshare purchase either. If you can't PIF at time of purchase, or arrange a 1 year 0% deal, then you shouldn't buy it. MF are enough of a burden each year, can't image a loan payment on top of that too, and at what interest rate?

Last edited: