• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Question about resort points / availability

revlis01

Reaction score
In the process of purchasing HGVC in Las Vegas. Been poking around the web, and slightly confused. I've seen many places listing point requirement charts, which seem to list the same properties (45?), but on their website https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resorts-and-destinations there seems to be many more properties not listed in these charts (eg: Arizona, Palm Desert, etc.). Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
In the process of purchasing HGVC in Las Vegas. Been poking around the web, and slightly confused. I've seen many places listing point requirement charts, which seem to list the same properties (45?), but on their website https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/resorts-and-destinations there seems to be many more properties not listed in these charts (eg: Arizona, Palm Desert, etc.). Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
HGV bought out Diamond Resorts. Many of those listed are Diamond resorts that are slowing being renovated to meet HGV standards and rebranded into Hilton Vacation Club (HVC). They are a lower luxury hotel than HGVC or HC and if you aren't in Max now and just buying a resale, you will not have the ability to book them directly via Max. Max is the new exchange between HVC and HGVC/HC. Some are available via RCI though, which is available to all HGVC and HC owners. New owners who buy directly from HGV get into Max automatically but they also pay about 90% more than the resale cost. So far, it isn't worth that cost to me.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Hilton is combining with Diamond, those resorts are Diamond resorts. If you purchase resale you will not have HGV Max which gives you access to book the Diamond properties.

Buying Resale is a better idea then by retail. Most HGVC do not see any benefit of getting into HGV Max, at least at this point.

revlis01

Reaction score
HGV bought out Diamond Resorts. Many of those listed are Diamond resorts that are slowing being renovated to meet HGV standards and rebranded into Hilton Vacation Club (HVC). They are a lower luxury hotel than HGVC or HC and if you aren't in Max now and just buying a resale, you will not have the ability to book them directly via Max. Max is the new exchange between HVC and HGVC/HC. Some are available via RCI though, which is available to all HGVC and HC owners. New owners who buy directly from HGV get into Max automatically but they also pay about 90% more than the resale cost. So far, it isn't worth that cost to me.
Ah, ok. So it seems like I won't be able to book many of the resorts I thought I could. Bummer. Confused by HVC/HGVC/HC

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
you're not the only :shrug:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah, ok. So it seems like I won't be able to book many of the resorts I thought I could. Bummer. Confused by HVC/HGVC/HC
Hilton Vacation Club (HVC) are the Diamond resorts, https://www.diamondresortsandhotels.com/ , that are now part of Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV)
Hilton Grand Vacation Club (HGVC) and Hilton Club (HC) are the two clubs that used to make up HGV before the Diamond acquisition. You can see this map here to see the resorts that are in them, https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/development

Max is the new exchange program to all each side HVC vs HGVC/HC to reserve in the other side. This page does a decent job of explaining it, https://www.fidelityrealestate.com/blog/hgv-max/

Look through the Sept 2022 presentation on this page to get a better idea of what HGV is, https://investors.hgv.com/events-and-presentations/default.aspx

revlis01

Reaction score
Hilton Vacation Club (HVC) are the Diamond resorts, https://www.diamondresortsandhotels.com/ , that are now part of Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV)
Hilton Grand Vacation Club (HGVC) and Hilton Club (HC) are the two clubs that used to make up HGV before the Diamond acquisition. You can see this map here to see the resorts that are in them, https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/development

Max is the new exchange program to all each side HVC vs HGVC/HC to reserve in the other side. This page does a decent job of explaining it, https://www.fidelityrealestate.com/blog/hgv-max/

Look through the Sept 2022 presentation on this page to get a better idea of what HGV is, https://investors.hgv.com/events-and-presentations/default.aspx
Ok....so, there is now Hilton Grand Vacations (with access to all the new resorts brought over from Diamond), and Hilton Grand Vacation Club - which has more limited access to resorts. Sound right? The names are just confusing. The more I read, I'm starting to get the sense that the timeshare world is intentionally confusing....and that's part of the deal :)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV is the umbrella company. HVC, HGVC, and HC are collections of resorts in HGV. Look at the presentation in the link that I sent. He shows it well, such as this slide:

1674240746422.png

revlis01

Reaction score
HGV is the umbrella company. HVC, HGVC, and HC are collections of resorts in HGV. Look at the presentation in the link that I sent. He shows it well, such as this slide:

View attachment 71882
Just a very odd way of laying things out. Visually, it looks like the new Diamond integrated resorts (HVC) are 'below' HGVC in value (upscale vs upper upscale), yet HGVC members won't have access to these, without spending $7?!?!. Also Hilton Vacation Club should have been named differently. It's all a bit weird.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, the whole DRI acquisition/max rollout has been a sh*tshow... and many HGVC/HC owners don't have much interest in DRI properties with a couple exceptions like Cabo Azul and a couple in Hawaii.

revlis01

Reaction score
Well, the whole DRI acquisition/max rollout has been a sh*tshow... and many HGVC/HC owners don't have much interest in DRI properties with a couple exceptions like Cabo Azul and a couple in Hawaii.
It seems they really should have just integrated the new properties. Hard to upsell people on what seems like a downgrade in properties :) Of course, I'm new to all this, and that's just my two cents.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It seems they really should have just integrated the new properties. Hard to upsell people on what seems like a downgrade in properties :) Of course, I'm new to all this, and that's just my two cents.
It is all about money.....

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The draw is to have access to many more properties. Yes, most (not all) of those newer properties are a bit lower quality, but you get direct access (vs. via RCI) to many, many more properties and locations vs. legacy HGV members. That can be a big sales draw, as one of the most common complaints in the past about HGV is that their locations are very limited, which is hard to argue against.

Kurt

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
The draw is to have access to many more properties.
I bought into that pitch, sadly. I did an upgrade this past fall through Hilton, partly due to the pitch on Diamond making HGVMax important to have.

I didn't know their properties are of lower quality, and my experience so far is you can't book them anyway. I was told by customer service at HGVC they'll make more available as demand warrants it. I said it must be hard to judge demand when no one can book them.

For the OP, if you are still 'in the process of buying' direct from Hilton, I'd hold on and do your research on resale first. I wish I had known about this site before my recent upgrade!.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I bought into that pitch, sadly. I did an upgrade this past fall through Hilton, partly due to the pitch on Diamond making HGVMax important to have.

I didn't know their properties are of lower quality, and my experience so far is you can't book them anyway. I was told by customer service at HGVC they'll make more available as demand warrants it. I said it must be hard to judge demand when no one can book them.

For the OP, if you are still 'in the process of buying' direct from Hilton, I'd hold on and do your research on resale first. I wish I had known about this site before my recent upgrade!.
I think that since Max is an exchange, it probably needs more folks from both sides to participate for there to be decent availability. The last investor update said about 10% have bought into it. New owners or folks who upgrade, have no choice, they put you in Max. Owners prior to Max (HGVClub Legacy Members) and new folks who just buy resale aren't in so their weeks won't go into Max...if it is working like an exchange and that is what they call it.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I think that since Max is an exchange, it probably needs more folks from both side to participate for there to be decent availability. The last investor update said about 10% have bought into it. New owners or folks who upgrade, have no choice, they put you in Max. Owners prior to Max (HGVClub Legacy Members) and new folks who just buy resale aren't in so their weeks won't go into Max...if it is working like an exchange and that is what they call it.
DRI had a massive quantity of unsold weeks. I would think HGV could put those into the system.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
DRI had a massive quantity of unsold weeks. I would think HGV could put those into the system.

If they are unsold, I would expect they would try to put them on Hilton.com for cash bookings. Why give away nights for points that you have cash for already when you can sell them through a different channel. There is zero gain to HGVC to throw unsold weeks into Max, other than maybe some goodwill and marketing talking points/visuals. Putting unsold weeks into Max doesn't add to the top or bottom line. Cash bookings or nights sold thru promotions also bring in new prospects. I bought HGVC for HGVC, and outside of a couple of former Diamond locations, I have zero interest in Max.

revlis01

Reaction score

Definitely! I would never consider buying a timeshare directly. Resale is interesting if I can get in for close to zero.

Reaction score
… Diamond resorts that are slowing being renovated to meet HGV standards and rebranded into Hilton Vacation Club (HVC).
Not sure how fast one would expect resort-wide renovations to be completed - especially while maintaining full operations - but from what I’m finding, they will be occurring faster than seems to be assumed in these threads. There are aggressive plans for certain properties this year.

revlis01

Reaction score

So, in the interest of confusing things even more......how about this question:

Looking at a resale listing for Hilton Vacation Club Sedona Summit. Now, as I understand it, this property is part of the HVC (the new DRI resorts). If I purchased this, would I have access to points of any kind within the system?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Looking at a resale listing for Hilton Vacation Club Sedona Summit. Now, as I understand it, this property is part of the HVC (the new DRI resorts). If I purchased this, would I have access to points of any kind within the system?

No just HVC.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

You would own in the DRI side not HGVC/HC. I have no idea how they handle resales. I doubt you would have the ability to use Max. You could also post this question to the HVC forum.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
which would include all the newly added resorts?
I assume you would have access to all the DRI resorts that include the newly branded HVC, since they are still DRI but I would post this to the HVC forum to get their thoughts. They may warn against buying resale which they call "dirty points".