• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Problems making VISTANA reservations - official thread]

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
No availability at midnight this morning for Lagunamar.

Markus

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Are owners having trouble booking their home resort at 12 months? Am I reading these posts correctly or is the problem using StarOptions at 8 months?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Are owners having trouble booking their home resort at 12 months? Am I reading these posts correctly or is the problem using StarOptions at 8 months?
The problem tends to be with Home Resort Reservations.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
So owners are having trouble booking their home resort unit that they paid for at the 12 month mark? This seems like a big negative to buying a Westin timeshare. I find this hard to believe!

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
I think the problem is IT related, and for high demand weeks like 51 and 52. I have had problems with Lagunamar for week 51 for the last two years, ( no problems before this time period, but the resort has since sold out). I go on line right at midnight 12 months before, and no availability. The next morning, I call in, and get my reservation. I think the inventory is tightly controlled and not being released timely, or its system overload for peak weeks like 51 and 52.

Markus

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Some resorts, like Sheraton Broadway Plantation, have strange owner reservation rules that it seems that their system can't handle well. So that tends to cause some issues also.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think it's an IT problem, too - an example is Sheraton Desert Oasis where there are Flexoption weeks, mandatory weeks with Staroptions, and voluntary weeks without Staroptions. All these different categories seem to have scrambled the reservation system at times.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In regards to making a SO reservation for Maui (WKORV/N, Nanea) in Sept at exactly at 8 months (9/15-22, Sat-Sat, 1Bd) using a WKV week (81K SO):

The online booking was fast and without delay. It looks as if they altered the reservation confirmation pages/process a bit.

Nothing at Nanea, but did have 1Bd at both WKORVN and WKORV. Initially (pre-9pm pst) there were no 1Bd at WKORV, but at 9pm they appeared. There were WKORV OF (limited availability) and WKORVN OF.

We were able to get adjacent weeks (Home Resort and SO week) and the reservation stated that these were consecutive weeks and may involve moving villas (expected as 1st week is the 1Bd side of our OFD).

I hadn't seen a SO reservation confirmation recently - I think it has clarification now (perhaps it did before) about renting SOs, and location expectation:

Rental of units reserved using StarOptions® (other than a vacation period at your Home Resort) is prohibited. Violation may result in the suspension of an Owner’s right to reserve within the Vistana Signature Network™ until compliant.

Villa assignments are made based on the date/time of the reservation booking. Home Resort Owners begin making reservations as early as 12 months prior to arrival date. Reservations made using StarOptions can be made as early as eight months prior to arrival date. Each villa is ranked within its view category (highest floors to lowest). Reservations for an oceanfront view are the closest in proximity to the ocean with varying views based on floor

So now it states that the rental must be during vacation period at your home resort that I take to address the question renting SOs at your Home Resort, but not during your vacation period (not allowed).

Also states about location priority based on timestamp and location ranking (high-low floor; OF proximity)

Interesting... not sure if text has changed our not, but seems to clarify.

It also states in the Special request section:

Unforeseen events or circumstances beyond our control may result in last-minute changes. As a result, villa assignment or special requests will only be confirmed during the check-in process. Changes to the arrival or departure date or to villa type (other than releasing one side of the lockoff for reservations confirmed during the Home Resort Reservation Period) will result in a loss of priority for fulfilling special requests.

Please note, for Float Owners, the specific view category purchased is guaranteed only for reservations confirmed during the Home Resort Reservation Period, and does not guarantee specific floor, building or villa number assignment. Additionally, reservations made through Vistana Signature Experiences or external exchange companies do not guarantee view category, floor, building, floor plan or villa number assignment, even for Home Resort Owners.

So now it states that releasing one side of LO will not affect loss of priority (timestamp), and clarifies location expectation (or lack of...),

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No problems when making a reservation (OFD studio) at WKORV for 2019 Prez Week (Sat-Sat at exactly 12 months) using HomeResort SOs.
No site crashes this time.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana KOR South and North. Vistana Nanea.
No problems when making a reservation (OFD studio) at WKORV for 2019 Prez Week (Sat-Sat at exactly 12 months) using HomeResort SOs.
No site crashes this time.

No WKORVN 2 bedrooms available for 2/17/19 check in. Checked at midnight and midnight + 5 Minutes.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
Very strange ... I was playing around to see how availability was going now that we're past the holiday season.

At WKORV, I can see Home Resort Usage available up to January 12, with flexible dates selected. After that, the room size is available - 1 bedroom premium - but it says reservation window opens in May or June, depending on the date I selected.

Our ownership is 1 bedroom, ocean view, every other year, odd years. I'd call, but our dates are not yet within a year, but this makes me nervous because our dates are going to be somewhat high demand (late March).

upload_2018-2-17_15-55-39.png

upload_2018-2-17_15-56-53.png

upload_2018-2-17_16-9-1.png

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 126
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 130
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 125
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 126
  • upload_2018-2-17_16-8-54.png
    upload_2018-2-17_16-8-54.png
    404 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Villa Finder is telling you that the view you own, ocean view, is no longer available for that date.

However, Staroption reservations are still available, and you can make a floating view reservation 8 mos. before check-in, starting 5/16.

This is perfectly normal for this time of year, and that's why you want to make your reservation the second the reservation window opens, 12 months before check-in. Calling will not help you with that - you need to make your reservation online at midnight eastern the night before the phone lines open.

Let's say you want to reserve Mar. 21, 2019. On Mar. 20, 2018, at midnight *eastern, you need to make your reservation.

*adjusted for your time zone.

The Haileys

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Sheraton Flex Sheraton Vistana Villages - Bella EY
There's plenty of availability in January, but none in February? I was able to get a StarOption reservation at 8 months at WPORV in March last year, but might not be able to get a Home Resort reservation at 12 months? Again, WHY is it an advantage?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
February is the most popular winter month, so yes, that is completely normal. The most popular months always get booked first, and Feb. is more popular than Jan., so Feb. books solid before Jan. does.

There is no reason to assume that you can't get a March reservation - right now, no one can make a March reservation, the reservation window isn't open yet - so it's wide open.

Please review this chart - it will make the popular dates a little clearer:

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 2.18.07 PM.png

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
That is ALOT of photos...
My advice is to be ready to reserve what you want as soon as the desired date is available upon refresh (exactly at 9pm PST)
Practice on earlier reservation openings.
Remember to choose #adults/#children and accept terms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maddog497

TUG Member
Reaction score
February is the most popular winter month, so yes, that is completely normal. The most popular months always get booked first, and Feb. is more popular than Jan., so Feb. books solid before Jan. does.

There is no reason to assume that you can't get a March reservation - right now, no one can make a March reservation, the reservation window isn't open yet - so it's wide open.

Please review this chart - it will make the popular dates a little clearer:

View attachment 5736
Not trying to hijack this tread but is there a thread with these types of charts for the rest of Sheraton properties?
I am trying to read all the Sheraton treads to get a grasp of the system and to get the most out of it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not trying to hijack this tread but is there a thread with these types of charts for the rest of Sheraton properties?
I am trying to read all the Sheraton treads to get a grasp of the system and to get the most out of it.
These are the TDI charts for each region on the Interval International site.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
The Vistana Web Site was very unstable last night. Lots of difficulty making reservations at midnght.

Markus

BBDad57

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Westin Kierland, Westin Coral Vista, Westin Sunset Bay
I was able to make my reservation for Westin Coral Vista (St John) at midnight, however I believe this timing is rediculous. I also own a Marriott property and they open the window at 9 AM Eastern. That seems fairer to all IMO.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was able to make my reservation for Westin Coral Vista (St John) at midnight, however I believe this timing is rediculous. I also own a Marriott property and they open the window at 9 AM Eastern. That seems fairer to all IMO.

Note sure if the 12-month mark for WSJ-CV is that hard to get at this point in time, but good to know.
How about WSJ-SB? {I think you may be the only owner that lists WSJ-SB) Those villas were the hardest hit by H.Irma.
Midnight EST is fairer for us west coasters... ;)

AlmTravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Strip, WKORV
Hi All,

I'm a happy new owner of a WKORV 1 Bd premium OV through resale. Thanks to all the effort everyone puts into tugbbs, especially the Vistana stickys

While I was able to reserve the March 2nd, 2019 check-in date in my villa type, any changes to the reservation appear risky. Upon contacting customer service, I was informed the only way to change the reservation is to cancel the existing reservation. For example, if I attempt to change the March 2nd reservation to June 16th, I must first cancel the March 2nd reservation. I can see this may result in no reservation since June 16th is not guaranteed and I must cancel the March 2nd reservation. If there is another way to change a reservation without releasing the first, please let me know.

I'm comparing to the HGVC reservation system, while not perfect, I've never lost a reservation due to changing.

Thanks,
Eric

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You are not understanding how the VSE/VSN system works - you can't reserve June 16 2018 until 12 months in advance. If you want to use your HomeResort SOs for June 16 - you will need to cancel your March 2nd reservations because those WKORV 1Bd SOs have been already used for the March. You cannot hold two reservations using the same SOs. As a 4* or 5* - you can waitlist, but that won't help you in this case as that pertains to waiting for an opening.

You can certainly call Owner Services for the June 16 reservation at 12 months - ask for availability - then cancel if available (it should be).
I would not recommend this. Instead - your reservation for June 16 is pretty easy to make as a HR reservation on-line. It is certainly less busy (demand) than March. So... just cancel and reserve June on-line at 12 months.

This is how it works - and what you signed up for. It would be a mess to allow people to hold multiple reservations while picking and choosing what week week they want while holding others (like Car Rentals or Hotel Reservations). That is unfair to other Owners not playing this game.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Marriott DC point reservations can be made starting at midnight on inventory release day where the phone lines don't open until 9:00am Eastern Time. Of course, weeks inventory doesn't become available to book online until 9:00am.