• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Privileges Status

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know THE date that one has to/had to make a new Wyndham retail purchase in order to qualify for privileges status? The one sheet that has been floating around for a while, that shows the current VIP and future priceless levels, says something at the bottom about "buying now to lock in your level before implementation in 2020". What is THAT date? And is there a minimum point purchase? Just wondering if anyone knows.
Thanks!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Does anyone know THE date that one has to/had to make a new Wyndham retail purchase in order to qualify for privileges status? The one sheet that has been floating around for a while, that shows the current VIP and future priceless levels, says something at the bottom about "buying now to lock in your level before implementation in 2020". What is THAT date? And is there a minimum point purchase? Just wondering if anyone knows.
Thanks!

There is no published date, other than late 2020 at this time. The VIP owners message from the CEO was just sent a few days ago and it says we should learn more details about Privileges heading into 2020.

The sales organization is being told that owners must lock in before 2020. I was just arguing with the sales manager in the Poconos on this topic last weekend while attending an update. My current understanding is that current owners will have at least the first half of 2020 to upgrade if they so desire, prior to Privileges going into effect sometime in the second half of 2020.

No explicit dates have been officially communicated to the best of my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Thanks!

Attachments

• 6F5B0CB5-0FF4-4343-AF42-6F2509C3216A.jpeg
    6F5B0CB5-0FF4-4343-AF42-6F2509C3216A.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 49

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no published date, other than late 2020 at this time. The VIP owners message from the CEO was just sent a few days ago and it says we should learn more details about Privileges heading into 2020.

The sales organization is being told that owners must lock in before 2020. I was just arguing with the sales manager in the Poconos on this topic last weekend while attending an update. My current understanding is that current owners will have at least the first half of 2020 to upgrade if they so desire, prior to Privileges going into effect sometime in the second half of 2020.

No explicit dates have been officially communicated to the best of my understanding.

I got the "must opt-in" message. They all seem to have another message that if you purchased in that short month before the names and the points changed that you would be grandfathered under those rules. I can't quite figure out how they will do that.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hide the ball! Keep 'em guessing!

When Wyndham thinks they've milked all they can out of the suspense, they'll come out with a firm date.

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where the sheet that they always show,
that you all sent, says "lock in your priveleges for late 2020 - at today's prices", they implied that making a retail purchase would lock in your priveleges level "at today's prices", as of what date did that mean? I first saw the sheet in July, with emerald and titanium, then they changed the names, and changed the sheet, but my question is, how far back did one need to purchase to lock in their priveleges?

JJVGHNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, what is the farthest back that one could have made a retail purchase that would have counted toward priveleges status?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I think the question is how long can you wait and still be able to make a retail purchase that counts.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
It's already too late! Or, it's never too late! Take your pick!

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
Where the sheet that they always show,
that you all sent, says "lock in your priveleges for late 2020 - at today's prices", they implied that making a retail purchase would lock in your priveleges level "at today's prices", as of what date did that mean? I first saw the sheet in July, with emerald and titanium, then they changed the names, and changed the sheet, but my question is, how far back did one need to purchase to lock in their priveleges?

They are simply referencing the fact that prices rise over time, it’s really that simple an answer.

As to your question about how far back, since grandfathering will be available, unless you are referring to the new Advantage level, the question is moot. Only the advantage level will require an additional purchase, and that date was 5.20.2019 if I recall correctly.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hide the ball! Keep 'em guessing!

When Wyndham thinks they've milked all they can out of the suspense, they'll come out with a firm date.
A great marketing strategy. Wyndham has duped many into buying up before program changes at no additional VIP benefit.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Just crazy how this is rolling out. They threw stuff out to see what would stick. They've changed the name of the program, the names of the tiers, the benefits of each tier, and have a soft roll out date. And have generated tons of speculation and discussion and no doubt sales. I am mostly just sitting back and watching, my biggest concern being the changes needed to a system that's never been stable or performant to begin with. That's where I expect to feel it.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just crazy how this is rolling out. They threw stuff out to see what would stick. They've changed the name of the program, the names of the tiers, the benefits of each tier, and have a soft roll out date. And have generated tons of speculation and discussion and no doubt sales. I am mostly just sitting back and watching, my biggest concern being the changes needed to a system that's never been stable or performant to begin with. That's where I expect to feel it.
You would think they would perfect the system they have before rolling out another few levels. I am sure it also generated sales that otherwise would not have been there. Like I said it is a great marketing strategy to sell more points. Many will receive no additional VIP benefits considering they more then likely be grandfathered in under the old rules.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many will receive no additional VIP benefits considering they more then likely be grandfathered in under the old rules.
If you weren’t so focused on the nonstop bashing of Wyndham you might understand what the marketing concept is.

The marketing concept has less to do with additional benefits for VIPs & more to do with getting the current benefits at a lower point requirement than when Privileges goes into effect.
Let me show you some simple examples so you can understand:
1. Silver owner wants Gold benefits today they might need to buy upto 300k more developer points, if they wait until Privileges goes into effect that same owner will have to buy upto 400k more developer points. VIPS owner will have to buy 100k more points by waiting.
2. Gold owner wants Platinum benefits they’d have to buy an additional 100k developer points when Privileges goes into effect just like the above example.
3. If you’re not a VIP & want unlimited HK your requirement will go from 400k developer points to 800k points an additional 400k points.

The whole concept is to get todays benefits & be grandfathered instead of needing to buy additional points when Privileges takes effect.

A VIPP owner has no incentive to buy upto Founders level at 1.4mil points unless they think the points are cheaper now.

You’ve sold your ownership so a few of us would appreciate it if you’d just go on down the road!!!
The threads will be half as long & we can stop seeing you replying[talking] to your self!!!

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you weren’t so focused on the nonstop bashing of Wyndham you might understand what the marketing concept is.

The marketing concept has less to do with additional benefits for VIPs & more to do with getting the current benefits at a lower point requirement than when Privileges goes into effect.
Let me show you some simple examples so you can understand:
1. Silver owner wants Gold benefits today they might need to buy upto 300k more developer points, if they wait until Privileges goes into effect that same owner will have to buy upto 400k more developer points. VIPS owner will have to buy 100k more points by waiting.
2. Gold owner wants Platinum benefits they’d have to buy an additional 100k developer points when Privileges goes into effect just like the above example.
3. If you’re not a VIP & want unlimited HK your requirement will go from 400k developer points to 800k points an additional 400k points.

The whole concept is to get todays benefits & be grandfathered instead of needing to buy additional points when Privileges takes effect.

A VIPP owner has no incentive to buy upto Founders level at 1.4mil points unless they think the points are cheaper now.

You’ve sold your ownership so a few of us would appreciate it if you’d just go on down the road!!!
The threads will be half as long & we can stop seeing you replying[talking] to your self!!!
BD, I get what you are saying about Buying up a VIP level now at lower point thresholds. Im talking about the many that are sold into buying up to new level but will be grandfathered in under old rules. They will not be helped buying additional points that will not add to their VIP status?

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get all that BD. What about the ones that were sold into buying up to new level but will be grandfathered in under old rules. Will they be helped in anyway buying additional points that will not add to their VIP status?
Every marketing item we’ve seen shows the grandfathering status.
If owners don’t understand the grandfathering, why don’t you help the owner understand the grandfathering instead of bashing Wyndham?
Bashing Wyndhams marketing strategy doesn’t help the owner looking for help

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

I will grant you they are not doing a bang up job with the advanced announcements. But Wyndham is never going to satisfy everyone. The primary reason they are taking the approach now is because Wyndham got a ton of negative feedback when they changed the VIP program in 2012 and didn’t provide any advance notice or grace period to current VIP owners. At least this time they are learning from their past mistakes.

What we all don’t like is the deceptive sales practices being employed in the interim. I have it on good authority that there will be an official grace period, but that doesn’t stop the sales team from trying to take advantage of the lack of clear guidance in the interim. I ran into this exact issue at the last update that I attended last weekend while debating various points with the sales manager. She was fully prepared to die on her hill that effective 1/1/2020 the grace period ends and that I should buy now before I had to purchase an additional 100k points to get up to VIPP. I remain steadfast based on speaking directly with various senior directors and VPs at the owners meeting that we will have a grade period in 2020 to make any such decisions - otherwise why go to the trouble of advance notice at all without telling the owners the exact dates?

This is common business practice IME in the sales industry. The sales teams are often told one thing while others are told something different - I’m talking at the executive levels mind you. For example, everyone in our sales dept was told the H2 2020 goal was 15MM in sales, while those of us outside of sales know the real number was 12MM. Giving a 1/1/2020 date makes sense given Wyndham is attempting to close as much business as is possible before end of calendar/fiscal year. We may not like the methods, but this is how the business world works IME.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
A great marketing strategy. Wyndham has duped many into buying up before program changes at no additional VIP benefit.

It’s a sales strategy - not a marketing strategy. Marketing handles collateral and content management, they have little to nothing to do with bookings and rev rec IME. Marketing does not have much commercial awareness compared to sales, nor do they have any commission comp model in place like sales does.

That said. I get what you are saying, that the sales dept is taking advantage of the lack of clarity on the upcoming changes to generate sales. I’m not surprised - this is also a very common sales practice IME.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will grant you they are not doing a bang up job with the advanced announcements. But Wyndham is never going to satisfy everyone. The primary reason they are taking the approach now is because Wyndham got a ton of negative feedback when they changed the VIP program in 2012 and didn’t provide any advance notice or grace period to current VIP owners. At least this time they are learning from their past mistakes.

What we all don’t like is the deceptive sales practices being employed in the interim. I have it on good authority that there will be an official grace period, but that doesn’t stop the sales team from trying to take advantage of the lack of clear guidance in the interim. I ran into this exact issue at the last update that I attended last weekend while debating various points with the sales manager. She was fully prepared to die on her hill that effective 1/1/2020 the grace period ends and that I should buy now before I had to purchase an additional 100k points to get up to VIPP. I remain steadfast based on speaking directly with various senior directors and VPs at the owners meeting that we will have a grade period in 2020 to make any such decisions - otherwise why go to the trouble of advance notice at all without telling the owners the exact dates?

This is common business practice IME in the sales industry. The sales teams are often told one thing while others are told something different - I’m talking at the executive levels mind you. For example, everyone in our sales dept was told the H2 2020 goal was 15MM in sales, while those of us outside of sales know the real number was 12MM. Giving a 1/1/2020 date makes sense given Wyndham is attempting to close as much business as is possible before end of calendar/fiscal year. We may not like the methods, but this is how the business world works IME.

These deceptive sale practices are used every day in the industry. This new VIP role out is a great sales stategy. Unfortunately under what your describing as deceptive sales practices it leads to many current VIP owners buying points that will not add to there VIP benifits.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
BD, I get what you are saying about Buying up a VIP level now at lower point thresholds. Im talking about the many that are sold into buying up to new level but will be grandfathered in under old rules. They will not be helped buying additional points that will not add to their VIP status?

Your example would only apply if the owner did not purchase enough points to level up. I’m not going to purchase more points unless I level up to permanent VIPP.

One common sales strategy I’ve had pitched to me on multiple occasions, at least prior to the Privileges announcement, is a ladder approach to level up. They will break up the points purchases over a two year period. So let’s say I need 300k points to get up to VIPP. I would purchase 150k points today along with a two year bonus points contract - which keeps me at temp VIPP for two years, then two years from now I purchase another 150k points to get up to permanent VIPP and receive a second bonus points contract. They lock in today’s points prices when doing so. This way they can book the revenue for both sales this year - they just won’t get the rev rec for the second contract until two years out from today.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your example would only apply if the owner did not purchase enough points to level up. I’m not going to purchase more points unless I level up to permanent VIPP.

One common sales strategy I’ve had pitched to me on multiple occasions, at least prior to the Privileges announcement, is a ladder approach to level up. They will break up the points purchases over a two year period. So let’s say I need 300k points to get up to VIPP. I would purchase 150k points today along with a two year bonus points contract - which keeps me at temp VIPP for two years, then two years from now I purchase another 150k points to get up to permanent VIPP and receive a second bonus points contract. They lock in today’s points prices when doing so. This way they can book the revenue for both sales this year - they just won’t get the rev rec for the second contract until two years out from today.

I stand corrected its a great sales strategy!

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score

I would be cautious on the grace period advice.
You weren’t an owner the last time we went through this with Voyagers launch.
We all knew changes were coming & the day Wyndham made the official announcement of the changes with implementing Voyager those changes took effect immediately the day of the announcement.
Example:
Credit Pool gone no grace period at all. You could’ve the day before but the morning of the announcement it was done & gone not even an hour of a grace period

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I stand corrected its a great sales strategy!

Just because it’s common doesn’t mean it’s great. It just means it is what it is. We share common ground in providing visibility to the deceptions and attempting to get Wyndham to wake up to the fact that the customer experience management practices in use are really nothing short of miserable and if they do not change said practices Wyndham will collapse under its own weight sooner or later. With economic justice becoming a primary talking point in our political spectrum, and for good reason, companies like Wyndham had damn well better sit up and take notice, and implement serious changes to their customer experience management strategies, or suffer the inevitable consequences further down the line.