• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Presentation so full of lies it was comical!

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
This is why we stop doing owner updates/sales presentation. We are on vacation and we do not need to hear fairy tales from a salesperson .
For 650-750 Abound Points....We can sit through 90 minutes of fairy tales.....as long as its an 8:30 am presentation...and the coffee and breakfast items are decent.

DRH90277

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Ocean Watch, Newport Coast, Grand Chateau, Custom House, Timber Lodge, VCP's.
I'll bet MVC has a task force directed solely toward finding ways to get week owners to deposit their weeks for points. For the old owners, it was the free enrollment and now they are trying to induce enrollments as an add-on to point sales. However, I don't see a rush from this Tug group toward point purchases or even enrollments of weeks. It seems this group is more directed toward week purchases and is pretty creative in maximizing their existing options.

We did make a points purchase last year to spiffy up our portfolio for our kids. Not for the points, but for the 7 weeks we enrolled.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll bet MVC has a task force directed solely toward finding ways to get week owners to deposit their weeks for points. For the old owners, it was the free enrollment and now they are trying to induce enrollments as an add-on to point sales. However, I don't see a rush from this Tug group toward point purchases or even enrollments of weeks. It seems this group is more directed toward week purchases and is pretty creative in maximizing their existing options.

We did make a points purchase last year to spiffy up our portfolio for our kids. Not for the points, but for the 7 weeks we enrolled.

I would jump at the chance to enroll my weeks that wasn’t tens of thousands of dollars! I’m not sure I would elect points often- but the flexibility would be nice and I would love the free interval trades! That would save me a ton of money every year!!

mbstn6254

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mariott Vacation Club
Yeah I think it’s a very common lie. They all have been owners forever, lol.

No his name was Tom Dowell.
The other common theme with MVC sales people I have had the pleasurer to meet is they were all fabulously successful in another career and decided to leave those careers to sell Marriott Timeshares, Also if I add up all the years they worked in this industry and that industry being so successful and the time being with Marriott, most of them would be in their late 70s or early 80s. I have noticed in the last few years another common thread where MVC salespeople will become advisors. They will advise you on when to rent and how much you can rent for based on the time of the year. It is Just part of the entertainment. At least I get $300 in the early morning.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
These always suck at MVC.
Very true…We attended a presentation last month at the Aruba Ocean Club and were appalled at the only offering were these little packets of cookies..even the coffee was pathetic..We did receive 750 Abound Points..which was main reason for attending…a few years ago we were at BeachPlace Towers and attended a sales presentation over at the W hotel about 5 blocks away..their breakfast items were pretty good..different types of fresh danish..egg,cheese and meat sandwiches and very good coffee….we were pleasantly surprised.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very true…We attended a presentation last month at the Aruba Ocean Club and were appalled at the only offering were these little packets of cookies..even the coffee was pathetic..We did receive 750 Abound Points..which was main reason for attending…a few years ago we were at BeachPlace Towers and attended a sales presentation over at the W hotel about 5 blocks away..their breakfast items were pretty good..different types of fresh danish..egg,cheese and meat sandwiches and very good coffee….we were pleasantly surprised.

All they had at Oceanwatch were the prepackaged blueberry muffins, coffee, and cans of pop.

gsb

Reaction score
Every time I read one of these threads, I think the good news is, no one makes us go to these presentations. If you don’t like the experience or the way you’re treated, just say no when you’re invited. My time and peace of mind aren’t worth a few hundred destination points. I will pay for my own vacations and not complain.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
All they had at Oceanwatch were the prepackaged blueberry muffins, coffee, and cans of pop.

The best a world-renowned "hospitality company" can do is prepackaged blueberry muffins? Wow! Marriott generates a lot of income from their food and beverage operations, and event, catering, and restaurant outlet operations. You can be sure that there is an army of experts in Food and Beverage at Marriott's (Marriott International, Marriott Lodging, NOT MVC/MVW) Corporate Headquarters.

I maintain my long-standing position that the MVC sales (and marketing) operations arm of MVC is led by a bunch of timeshare people (who know just about nothing about the "Marriott culture"), not career Marriott International/Marriott Lodging professionals. You'd think the timeshare people might consult their distant relatives in Marriott International/Marriott Lodging about their food and beverage service. That consultation appears to go as far as checking off prepackaged, commercial blueberry muffins, on an order form.

Last edited:

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every time I read one of these threads, I think the good news is, no one makes us go to these presentations. If you don’t like the experience or the way you’re treated, just say no when you’re invited. My time and peace of mind aren’t worth a few hundred destination points. I will pay for my own vacations and not complain.

I wish it was as easy as saying "no." But it's not. You see (likely, you know) that Marriott Vacation Club is intrusive, and in your face, from, prior to your arrival/check-in at an MVC resort, to, upon your arrival and check-in at an MVC resort (e.g. go see that lady over there (a marketing lady disguised as a "Concierge"), for a list of this week's activities, a discount card, etc, and then, even after we've ignored the marketing solicitations, when we arrive in our villa, come the MVC "marketing" phone calls and emails, that may be disguised as "I'm calling to make sure that everything is OK in your villa." Since we disconnect the phones in our villa, now, as soon as we check-in, we don't deal with that nonsense and deception, but, in the day, I'd get right in the face of the caller, and say, "you're not calling to check on the status of our villa, you're calling to try to hook us into a sales presentation." At that point, my wife would cringe, and have two words for me, "be nice." I'm sorry, I'm out of the nice business; ....... we want to be left alone, on our vacations, and not subject to MVC's forever, relentless marketing, while we are on vacation.

Last edited:

vail

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish it was as easy as saying "no." But it's not. You see (likely, you know) that Marriott Vacation Club is intrusive, and in your face, from, prior to your arrival/check-in at an MVC resort, to, upon your arrival and check-in at an MVC resort (e.g. go see that lady over there (a marketing lady disguised as a "Concierge"), for a list of this week's activities, a discount card, etc, and then, even after we've ignored the marketing solicitations, when we arrive in our villa, come the MVC "marketing" phone calls and emails, that may be disguiserd as "I'm calling to make sure that everything is OK in your villa." Since we disconnect the phones in our villa, now, as soon as we check-in, we don't deal with that nonsense and deception, but, in the day, I'd get right in the face of the caller, and say, "you're not calling to check on the status of our villa, you're calling to try to hook us into a sales presentation." At that point, my wife would cringe, and have two words for me, "be nice." I'm sorry, I'm out of the nice business; ....... we want to be left alone, on our vacations, and not subject to MVC's forever, relentless marketing, while we are on vacation.
We have owned our timeshare for 30 + years.
I think I have been asked by telephone two or three times.
NEVER on check in or at the resort.
We have never once attended a timeshare presentation,
and from what I read on TUG , we never will.

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score
H
For 650-750 Abound Points....We can sit through 90 minutes of fairy tales.....as long as its an 8:30 am presentation...and the coffee and breakfast items are decent.
How do you use 650 Abound points? Where can you go with that amount? We just got out of a presentation, and the encore package had 650 points as a bonus. Thanks for any info you can share.

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Lakeshore

TUG Member
Reaction score

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! I will look. Was hoping to get some nights In Hawaii to add to an encore four nights package…but trying to determine if it’s best to take 650 Abound points, $300, or 50,000Bonvoy points.

Abound points- 650 x .70= $455
Bonvoy Points- 50000 x .008= $400
Cash= $300

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
Abound points- 650 x .70= $455
Bonvoy Points- 50000 x .008= $400
Cash= $300
It appears you are using the acquisition cost for your Abound figure but some stated redemption value for Bonvoy points so it's not comparing apples to apples. The current full retail acquisition cost for 50K Bonvoy points is $625. Right now Marriott has a promotion (perhaps targeted) that would lower that cost to around $425. Bonvoy points are far easier to use but Abound points are likely more valuable when redeemed.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
H

How do you use 650 Abound points? Where can you go with that amount? We just got out of a presentation, and the encore package had 650 points as a bonus. Thanks for any info you can share.
Hi…650 Bound Points can be useful in adding 2 or 3 nights to a 7 night II Vacation..thats usually what I would do with that type of gift from a sales presentation…I can book a Friday to Friday II exchange and those 650-750 Abound points to add a Tuesday…Wednesday and Thursday night..making a 10 day vacation…most likely in a 1 BR Villa.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
It appears you are using the acquisition cost for your Abound figure but some stated redemption value for Bonvoy points so it's not comparing apples to apples. The current full retail acquisition cost for 50K Bonvoy points is $625. Right now Marriott has a promotion (perhaps targeted) that would lower that cost to around $425. Bonvoy points are far easier to use but Abound points are likely more valuable when redeemed.

.70 is the maintenance fee cost for a trust point, which is also about the cost to rent additional points.

.008 is the Points Guy valuation for a Bonvoy point (not the cost to purchase) Personally I never do a Bonvoy redemption for less than .01 per point so I would take the Bonvoy points- but everyone values a bit differently.

kozykritter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, MVC Points, Worldmark
.70 is the maintenance fee cost for a trust point, which is also about the cost to rent additional points.

.008 is the Points Guy valuation for a Bonvoy point (not the cost to purchase)
Yes but the maintenance fee is not the redemption value of what you could get with the points whereas that is what you are using for Bonvoy. They are not comparable.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes but the maintenance fee is not the redemption value of what you could get with the points whereas that is what you are using for Bonvoy. They are not comparable.

But its equal to the cost to rent the points so its a fair comparison.