• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Posts By Non-Owners...Annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
When someone "drives by" one of the forums for the different TS resort systems and posts an unflattering opinion about the developer/system yet are not an owner of that system, does that annoy you? Why?

rrlongwell

Reaction score
When someone "drives by" one of the forums for the different TS resort systems and posts an unflattering opinion about the developer/system yet are not an owner of that system, does that annoy you? Why?

Not really, people can post what they want. I value people who have information about the resorts I am interested in or am watching and their developers.

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find it mildly annoying. My initial reaction is "that person does not know what they are talking about."

It bothers me for the same reason that any uninformed opinion bothers me: an opinion is only worth the knowledge and experience that it is based upon. So a baseless opinion has no value to me.

At the same time, it can ruin a resort/system reputation.

It seems unfair.

elaine

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Nope, different opinions about the resorts/companies don't bother me at all - what a boring world this would be if we all liked or disliked the same things. I do get annoyed, though, if a non-owner's opinion - either good OR bad - is based on something that's simply not true.

For example, if I was to go into the Disney board and post that Disney timeshares are THE WORST in my opinion then the DVC owners can roll their eyes and ignore me if they don't want to hear it, but they shouldn't be annoyed that I obviously don't like their timeshares as much as they do. But if I say DVC is THE WORST because, "you can only use your points at your home resort and you can't make reservations until three months before check-in, plus MF's cost about four thousand a year for a studio unit" then it would be understandable for them to be annoyed.

(Hopefully all the DVC owners know that I don't at all think that Disney timeshares are THE WORST. It's just an example! :D )

Last edited:

Ridewithme38

TUG Member
Reaction score
DVC is THE WORST because, "you can only use your points at your home resort and you can't make reservations until three months before check-in, plus MF's cost about four thousand a year for a studio unit"

Damn! I didn't know they were THAT bad! Thanks for the heads up Sue!

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Of Course Not. Why Should It ?

When someone "drives by" one of the forums for the different TS resort systems and posts an unflattering opinion about the developer/system yet are not an owner of that system, does that annoy you?
Shux no.

I simply consider the source.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

jfbookers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Opinion & Facts

Just heard this again yeaterday
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facta"

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about when folks challenge the owners on why they own that particular system, or why they think it makes no sense for the owners to convert to the developer's point system or whatnot?

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How about when folks challenge the owners on why they own that particular system, or why they think it makes no sense for the owners to convert to the developer's point system or whatnot?

That doesn't bother me as long as it is done respectfully. That too is annoying when someone is disrespectful or purposefully aggitating.

elaine

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Just heard this again yeaterday
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facta"

Did you mean "facts?"
This is the quote attributed to fmr. Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan:
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

-

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like an outsiders point of view...In fact Ive been lurking and sometimes posting on the Workdmark owners forum. Im thinking about buying.

Im sure my questions come off as challenging, because they are...I want the owners to defend what they own...if they cant answer my objections I dont want to buy...

By the way Im buying

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've just done the same thing, Ron. I've been 'lurking around' - as you put it - the Bluegreen forum on Yahoo before winning my first points through an Ebay auction just today. I learned enough to validate that my specific strategy is a good one with a reasonable chance of success for what I want to begin using the points for.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score

How about those of us who are disgruntled ex-owners of one of the developer systems. After all, we bought, we became disallusioned, we stopped drinking the Kool-Aid, and we sold. Maybe we have something of value to offer.

George

geekette

Reaction score
nope, don't care. Not knowing how someone came to form an opinion leaves the option that they DO know what they are talking about from experience. why should I be annoyed that they had a bad experience??

The other thing is, just because many people here hold some idea or system as some sacred whatever does not mean that ALL of us do.

For example, I'll never give a crap about Orlando nor Disney, but I doubt anyone holds it against me. But, that is probably because I rarely voice that opinion (which would likely be very unpopular), and I have not been to Disney nor Orlando, so that opinion would likely be seen as baseless by many. However, I do not see the point in validating my own disinterest in something by going ahead and visiting Orlando/Disney to find that, yep, I really wasn't interested. Do I really have to experience it for others to be ok with my opinion of it for myself???

Frankly, the opinions of others don't matter that much to me. Certainly not enuf to "need to" go there to find that I was right about my own preferences all along, regardless of how unpopular those preferences might be with the diehard mouseketteers. But some might think, oh, well, at least she's been there so is now entitled to that opinion. Why am I not entitled to be disinterested without going there???

So what some may see as a baseless opinion might not actually be. Why dump on someone for having their own mind?

perhaps I'll find out shortly...

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham was the first system I'd considered and I found most of the folks there to be very sensible and informative and also open to challenge. I drive by the forum from time to time.

There are a few Kool-Aid drinkers in the Marriott forum, but most of them are very sensible as well. Seeing as I owned a Marriott TS for all of 2 months late last year, I have developed an affinity for Marriott. There are a large number of active members, I drive by there more frequently and post my perspectives not so much on Marriott itself, but how the owners see things (e.g., why own Silver or Gold, the value of the points system, etc.). Good rational discourse for the most part.

I suspect the Starwood forum has a greater proportion of members with higher disposable incomes than Marriott. They are from another planet, so I drive by very infrequently. I just don't get them or Starwood's weird system.

Disney, I never really gave much thought. HGVC, eh, wasn't compelling. As for the other systems, eh, I just decided that I could better grasp and appreciate the Wyndham and Worldmark systems if I ever went the points route, which I will not be doing anytime soon.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about those of us who are disgruntled ex-owners of one of the developer systems. After all, we bought, we became disallusioned, we stopped drinking the Kool-Aid, and we sold. Maybe we have something of value to offer.

George

I like the vigorous exchange of ideas, debate, discouragement, and encouragement.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I like the vigorous exchange of ideas, debate, discouragement, and encouragement.

Absolutely- and I think it really helps to get an "outsiders'" perspective; owners of other system have a lot to offer for comparative purposes and not only do they help shed light on various topics, they also introduce different venues to visit or travel.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

All of that is fine by me. That's how we can all learn things, by asking questions and getting answers that help us figure out how to make the most out of the timeshares we own as well as the ones we might be looking to buy. There simply isn't any one timeshare company/resort/system that works for everyone, and the only way to figure out if something will work is to learn all you can about the different options.

What I find annoying is the challenger who thinks his/her particular situation is applicable to everyone, the challenger who resorts to insulting anyone who has reached a different opinion because of different circumstances.

... There are a few Kool-Aid drinkers in the Marriott forum, but most of them are very sensible as well. Seeing as I owned a Marriott TS for all of 2 months late last year, I have developed an affinity for Marriott. There are a large number of active members, I drive by there more frequently and post my perspectives not so much on Marriott itself, but how the owners see things (e.g., why own Silver or Gold, the value of the points system, etc.). Good rational discourse for the most part. ...

Oh, but lookie there - for all your talk about encouraging lively debate, it seems you're one of the biggest offenders for taking debate down a disrespectful path. We've been through this already - "koolaid drinker" is an offensive insult in that it implies that the person to whom you're referring is uninformed, irrationally willing to be led down the wrong path like a blind sheep. The fact that you know that some of us find it an offensive term, yet you still choose to use it in a similar fashion, says more about you than the people to whom you're referring. :rolleyes:

I'm on the Marriott board all the time and honestly don't see any "koolaid drinkers" on there - maybe you can point out the specific posts that you see wherein somebody has said that they're blindly willing to champion any- and every Marriott product simply because it's offered by Marriott. I'm not saying such people don't exist, but I'd be hard-pressed to find evidence of them here on TUG where we dissect and analyze everything forty ways from Sunday. So, why don't you name these "koolaid drinkers" and engage them in a respectful discussion about why you think they're being led astray? Maybe we could all learn something from it.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

George

Aaaaaand, there it is again! Hate it! Don't use it!

Plus, George, I don't believe you ever were a "koolaid drinker." You bought good weeks from the developer way back when the resorts were new and an external market hadn't yet materialized, you used them happily in all the ways that the developer said you could for a number of years, and then you sold them at a profit when some of the usage rules changed and were no longer advantageous for you. At no point did you display a blind loyalty to Marriott or the products that you purchased.

I think it's great that you stick around and contribute what you know to the ongoing discussions. You, Emmy, and many others are the best examples of why we shouldn't have blind faith in any timeshares, because you're proof that nothing ever remains the same. IMO, it's very helpful to know how Marriott has operated historically, what they have been able to change and what it appears they cannot change.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

George

exactly...this is the kind of info that I come to TUG for

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of that is fine by me. That's how we can all learn things, by asking questions and getting answers that help us figure out how to make the most out of the timeshares we own as well as the ones we might be looking to buy. There simply isn't any one timeshare company/resort/system that works for everyone, and the only way to figure out if something will work is to learn all you can about the different options.

What I find annoying is the challenger who thinks his/her particular situation is applicable to everyone, the challenger who resorts to insulting anyone who has reached a different opinion because of different circumstances.

Oh, but lookie there - for all your talk about encouraging lively debate, it seems you're one of the biggest offenders for taking debate down a disrespectful path. We've been through this already - "koolaid drinker" is an offensive insult in that it implies that the person to whom you're referring is uninformed, irrationally willing to be led down the wrong path like a blind sheep. The fact that you know that some of us find it an offensive term, yet you still choose to use it in a similar fashion, says more about you than the people to whom you're referring. :rolleyes:

I'm on the Marriott board all the time and honestly don't see any "koolaid drinkers" on there - maybe you can point out the specific posts that you see wherein somebody has said that they're blindly willing to champion any- and every Marriott product simply because it's offered by Marriott. I'm not saying such people don't exist, but I'd be hard-pressed to find evidence of them here on TUG where we dissect and analyze everything forty ways from Sunday. So, why don't you name these "koolaid drinkers" and engage them in a respectful discussion about why you think they're being led astray? Maybe we could all learn something from it.

SueDonJ comes out of the woodwork! There you go getting all skinsitive. So should I have said "drinking the kook-aid" like bogey21, and that would have been okay? Or do you cut him some slack on your rant because he was a former legitimate owner, unlike myself, so you are less annoyed by his comments?

Also, the point of a kool-aid drinker is that they are unable to see reason no matter how rational or respectful the conversation is. And I have witnessed the drinking of the kool-aid whereby it is impossible for one to concede even the most basic truth. Did I call you one, or anyone else in particular? No, so chill out. Do I believe you personally are one? That was not the point of this thread, so I will refrain from responding on that.

geekette

Reaction score
SueDonJ comes out of the woodwork! There you go getting all skinsitive. So should I have said "drinking the kook-aid" like bogey21, and that would have been okay? Or do you cut him some slack on your rant because he was a former legitimate owner, unlike myself, so you are less annoyed by his comments?

Also, the point of a kool-aid drinker is that they are unable to see reason no matter how rational or respectful the conversation is. And I have witnessed the drinking of the kool-aid whereby it is impossible for one to concede even the most basic truth. Did I call you one, or anyone else in particular? No, so chill out. Do I believe you personally are one? That was not the point of this thread, so I will refrain from responding on that.

Who gets to decide who is unable to see reason? YOU? If I don't see your point or don't see things your way, that does not make me incapable of seeing reason. I may simply have a different perspective. Use different logic. That doesn't make me a blind follower anymore than it makes you some amazing free thinker.

Also, lay off of Sue. telling people to chill out is no better than continuing to use terms people find offensive.

Sue did gently chastise George. Perhaps you missed that when you decided that she cut him slack as a previous owner.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Who gets to decide who is unable to see reason? YOU? If I don't see your point or don't see things your way, that does not make me incapable of seeing reason. I may simply have a different perspective. Use different logic. That doesn't make me a blind follower anymore than it makes you some amazing free thinker.

Also, lay off of Sue. telling people to chill out is no better than continuing to use terms people find offensive.

Sue did gently chastise George. Perhaps you missed that when you decided that she cut him slack as a previous owner.

Exactly, we individually decide who is unable to see reason. Are you suggesting that you have never believed that someone was unreasonable? I doubt that. So is your point that it is appalling that I would actually stoop so low as to verbalize that belief? I really fail to understand what you are trying to say.

What is offensive about saying "chill out"?

Yes, Sue's chastisement of bogey21 was gentle. Her chastisement of me was not. Maybe it was our shared history of curfuffles that caused the claws to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.