• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

POLL: How interested are you in the new Starwood points programs?

How interested are you in the new Starwood points programs?

• I am very interested in purchasing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm mildly interested in purchasing.

• I would be interested in converting my Starwood Voluntary Deeds into a FlexOption type program.

• Total voters

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please vote in the poll ˆˆˆˆˆ ABOVE ˆˆˆˆˆ - your vote is visible to others

*So far this includes: Sheraton Flex, Westin St. John CV-SB, and Maui Nanea.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry, but which 'new points program'?
And not being sarcastic...
Sheraton Flex, WSJ CV-SB, Nanea? Or inclusive?

I didn't want to answer 'huh'... But perhaps I should. ;)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
All of them - the space permitted for the question is very limited.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I am in the process of purchasing resale at WSJ CV.

I own a fixed winter week in VGV and wanted something to go with it.
After looking at all the options, CV worked for me because of the flexibility in booking different unit sizes for different length of stays all year round.
The maintain fee for the 2BR in my "season" which is the time of year (late fall) I will most likely use the ownership is less then BV and VGV.
I can also book a studio at 8 months to bump up against my winter week.

I would not be buying this if I wanted a winter 2BR, maintain fees are very high and a resale in VGV or BV makes more sense financially.
This may be an ownership where low season points have more value in the long run :doh:

And I was not looking for this, it was offered to me after someone liked/commented on a photo I posted on Instagram :ignore:

I am (most likely) the first resale buyer of CV; I know this because I am the first person to request an estoppel. It took them 6 weeks to prepare it because they could not decide how to do it :cool:
Starwood does not handle the transfer, they have contracted an outside company....still waiting for that paperwork to be generated.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hmmmm, not many comments......

Kind of reminds me of when Marriott changed their program from straights weeks to a combination of weeks and points ownership.

Many people were unhappy and chose not to join.
Other people thought it was just wonderful (because they were owners of weeks that were given high point values)

Now, 5 years in, many have come to like the combination of week and points ownership. People who said they would never do it have purchased destination points to compliment their weeks ownership.band others have sold because it just did not work for them and the value of their week ownership was diminished in their eyes.

I guess what I am saying is "never say never"

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think there are 2 major differences between the Starwood and Marriott programs, that may make Marriott's program more attractive:

Mandatory Starwood owners already have points (Staroptions) so they don't have to buy into the new program to get points (Staroptions.)

Also, (as I understand it) with Marriott, you could pay a fee and "convert," but with Starwood, you have to buy a full price pkg.

Because I owned SVR and SDO which are both in the Sheraton Flex program, I looked at that, but I couldn't see any significant advantage to converting - because the price to convert is so high.

However, I do realize that the offerings at WSJ and Maui are completely different, and will definitely interest some people.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
All of them - the space permitted for the question is very limited.

How is "I'm not interested at all" differ from "I would never even consider it"?
Isn't that the same thing? (logically)

Sorry - I am not a fan of polls (mainly due to limitations of the questions asked, and the limitation/interpretation of responses - see current political polls). Shouldn't the question be - what do you think of the new Starwood points program?
Because - for me - my interest is quite different than what I think about it.

for example - I have no interest, but I like the program itself for reasons discussed in other threads. Those responses are very different. So - I am going with 'huh?'

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To me, "I wouldn't even consider it," is a stronger statement than, "I'm not interested at all."

If there is a different answer that you'd like me to add - just let me know.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
How is "I'm not interested at all" differ from "I would never even consider it"?
Isn't that the same thing? (logically)

I was wondering the same thing!:rofl:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am in the process of purchasing resale at WSJ CV.

That is huge news buried in this thread. That was fast. I understand your logic - hope it works out for you.

Wouldn't a person need to be a friend on Instagram to see your Instagram post?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Dave - I added your suggestion - let me know if you'd like me to move your vote.

Pat his been discussing this purchase, but I don't think she has one dedicated thread about it.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
How about "I'm interested in learning about the program to see whether I can take advantage of it, but I have no intention of purchasing at the present time"?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Robert - your suggestion has been added to the poll.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I just see these points programs as more or less of a churn because of limited inventory that resulted from not growing. Sales has to sell something I guess. The flex version of my SVR week is MUCH MUCH more expensive and plus, no week is even guaranteed. I don't want to fight over inventory. I'll stick with my fixed week thank you, for LESS MF!!! We actually go to our resorts on the weeks we own, a vast majority of the time. I love our SVN resorts.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, (as I understand it) with Marriott, you could pay a fee and "convert," but with Starwood, you have to buy a full price pkg.

This is not correct, unless pay a fee and convert means paying about $30,000 (it varies depending on the incentive option you choose) to buy 2,500 MVC points to convert a week. Or you can pay more to convert more weeks and get more points as well...:hysterical:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is not correct, unless pay a fee and convert means paying about $30,000 (it varies depending on the incentive option you choose) to buy 2,500 MVC points to convert a week. Or you can pay more to convert more weeks and get more points as well...:hysterical:

moto x - Was that the offer when the program was FIRST launched?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is huge news buried in this thread. That was fast. I understand your logic - hope it works out for you.

Wouldn't a person need to be a friend on Instagram to see your Instagram post?

I posted my pix with #WestinStJohn and she found me. As did #StarwoodVacationNetwork

Will keep all posted as this progresses.
Away for 12 days. Will get paperwork when I get back. Hopefully

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it makes sense, but how about adding a question about being interested in purchasing if the program expanded to include all resorts (similar to Marriott) or to add a Westin Flex. I know this is not likely to happen, but would TUGers be interested in something like this? I would...:cool:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Not sure if it makes sense, but how about adding a question about being interested in purchasing if the program expanded to include all resorts (similar to Marriott) or to add a Westin Flex. I know this is not likely to happen, but would TUGers be interested in something like this? I would...:cool:

But the big difference between Starwood and Marriott, is that Mandatory Owners already have Staroptions, and in most cases, paid a lot for them.

So how would this benefit mandatory owners enough to justify the cost?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think there are 2 major differences between the Starwood and Marriott programs, that may make Marriott's program more attractive:

Mandatory Starwood owners already have points (Staroptions) so they don't have to buy into the new program to get points (Staroptions.)

Because I owned SVR and SDO which are both in the Sheraton Flex program, I looked at that, but I couldn't see any significant advantage to converting - because the price to convert is so high.

However, I do realize that the offerings at WSJ and Maui are completely different, and will definitely interest some people.

Original offer

Any weeks owner that bought directly from MAR. Pre 6/10/10 weeks. One week $595 to join. 2 weeks to infinity $695
Any amount of resale weeks ( plus direct weeks) $1,995

After this, no option for post resale weeks 6/10/10

In the past few months, Marriott has allowed owners with post 6/10/10 weeks to enroll these weeks with a purchase of a matching number of points. 15-30K. Not cheap!
But similar to re qualifying SVN weeks with a 20K purchase.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Original offer

Any weeks owner that bought directly from MAR. Pre 6/10/10 weeks. One week $595 to join. 2 weeks to infinity $695

Any amount of resale weeks ( plus direct weeks) $1,995

Thank you - that is what I was referring to above - significantly less than $30K.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the big difference between Starwood and Marriott, is that Mandatory Owners already have Staroptions, and in most cases, paid a lot for them.

So how would this benefit mandatory owners enough to justify the cost?

Hmm, I assume some other mandatory resale owners like me may be interested in joining if they have non mandatory weeks that could be converted into the system. I agree this would not apply to everyone...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you - that is what I was referring to above - significantly less than $30K.

The lower fee only applies to resale weeks purchased before 6/10/10.

I was talking about post 6/10/10 weeks.

I think we both should have mentioned the key date when we posted. This date is the difference between several tens of thousands of dollars.

Also, the majority of owners who have not converted by now own post 6/10/10 weeks. So, most people would need to pay a very large fee to convert.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My point is - Starwood is not making this kind of offer to current owners as part if the launch.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk