• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Point at Poipu comments

TAG

TUG Member
Reaction score
We toured the Point back when it was Embassy-managed. At that time the impression was of an immaculately maintained, very upscale resort - we would have rated it a 9.5 out of 10.

We just returned from a week at the Point on an exchange. We came home with a very different impression of the property. The grounds are still immaculate.

Our unit had furniture that should have been replaced - it had been refurbished instead. The chairs in the living room had been painted and the paint was coming off. The sleeper-sofa had been slip-covered but the foam in the cushions was flat.

The kitchen stuff was of medium-low quality and the dishes didn't match. There was only enough cutlery/dishes/glasses for six - max occupancy was six, so if it was fully occupied you would need to do dishes every meal.

Some outdoor lights and the exit light fixtures were dark. There were many broken tiles in the corridors.

None of it was worth complaining about, but it left a very different impression of the resort - we would rate it a 7.5 out of 10. The resort is now a Diamond-managed property. I'm not sure when management changed or when the slippage occurred.

The resort had many obviously empty units. The staff was very friendly, efficient and accommodating. There is a free computer terminal in the lobby to use for printing boarding passes and quick checks of email. I loved the shower in the master bath! They show a movie at the pool - a swim-in rather than a drive-in. That was a lot of fun!

Kauai Kid

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I concur--we were there 10-24 Oct. I rated it an 8 probably because we own two weeks but I sure wouldn't go higher.

Please see my review of the Point

Sterling

alanraycole

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was disappointed as well during my stay last January.

On the plus side, it is better than most of the options on Kauai due mainly to its great location. Those fortunate to enjoy an ocean front condo should easily be able to ignore its deficiencies. Not having an ocean front during my stay inspired me to consider it nothing more than a decent place to sleep close to many of Kauai's wonders.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Point at Poipu

I am a little surprised that a room was referbed. :confused: Ususally they are redone from top to bottom. I have seen them do it, but times change and so does management.

We were not at the Point last year, but will be there for two weeks next March. I was hoping the Owners Meeting was going to be held while I was there, but it is going to be February 20th.

Are any Tuggers who own at the Point going to be there? Maybe we could compile a list of the top ten concerns that could be presented for Management comment at the meeting.

My personal experience, which was pre-Diamond, I found the management to be open to suggestions and will to discuss issues.:)

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope your experience is different from ours Paul.

Diamond complained to the manufacturer of the tacky furniture and it is being replaced at no cost with Diamond (us) picking up the transportation expenses from the far east.

Beware of the stainless steel pots and pans.

sterling

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am a little surprised that a room was referbed. :confused: Ususally they are redone from top to bottom. I have seen them do it, but times change and so does management.

We were not at the Point last year, but will be there for two weeks next March. I was hoping the Owners Meeting was going to be held while I was there, but it is going to be February 20th.

Are any Tuggers who own at the Point going to be there? Maybe we could compile a list of the top ten concerns that could be presented for Management comment at the meeting.

My personal experience, which was pre-Diamond, I found the management to be open to suggestions and will to discuss issues.:)
I believe that Jamie Shigeta is still the resort manager. Extending back to her days in Ohana VIP, I have always found her to be open, helpful, and gracious. I've met with her a couple of times since she became resort manager, and have corresponded with her by e-mail several times.

I'll probably point her to this thread in a bit (to allow people more time to add thoughts and comment), but I wouldn't be the least surprised if DRI is already tracking this thread.

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did email one of the Board of Directors suggesting that they offer a cash discount for people who make maintenance payments with a check rather than a credit card.

I got a prompt reply and the Board of Directors will at least consider that option.

Maui Schooner gives owners a 3% discount on all but the property tax when you pay by check rather than credit card.

Only one this action would hurt would be the banks.

Sterling

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Poipu Point

Sterling,

The couple we traded with for the Bali Hai on Moorea just got back and I sent her an email as to the unit's interior. They were in Bldg 4 Ocean Front.

I remember when we stopped in to say good bye to you and Marilyn a couple of years ago, your unit was pretty dirty. I seem to remember a badly stained carpet. We have never really had a unit that we were dissatisfied with.

There have been threads on this subject before and I do not intend to start another one here, just commenting that it amazes me what some people can do to these units.:mad:

Cheers,

Paul

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the furniture in the living room had been vandalized but was informed that it just wasn't holding up to the normal stress of being in a time share.
All the furniture in a unit is replaced every 6 years.

Carpet was fine in the unit. Kitchen pots and pans needed to be replaced in our unit.

For those who may be interested the General Manager is Christopher A. Gampon and the Director of owner and Guest Services is Patricia R. Ornellas.

Sterling

Werner

TUG Member
Reaction score
The carpets at Poipu are a major problem because the island is basically lava dirt/mud and sand. Sand is OK, but the dirt out by the cliffs is lava dirt. A couple of years ago we had a unit with what looked like a brand new carpet. After walking the cliffs along the shoreline after a rain I walked into the unit and forgot to remove my sandals before walking beyond the tile floor in the entry. I spend the next 10 minutes scrubbing out the lava stains before they set. It wasn't easy.

I can't imagine new carpets making it through more than a few weeks before they get lava stained. If the stain isn't cleaned up before it sets, the lava mud will permanently dye the carpet. (Those "Lava Dirt" tee shirts they sell in town are for real, they use lava mud to dye them.)

Kauai Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife about divorced me after I washed a brand new lava dirt shirt along with some of our vacation clothes!!! We had a wash tub of red dirt shirt clothes.

Very expensive lesson--clothes aren't cheap on Kauai either.

But the most important thing--she still loves me, dumb as I am. :D

Sterling

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for kids?

I just grabbed an exchange into a 2br at the Point for next August. I was excited until I found this thread.

Since I still have 24 hours to change my mind, I thought I'd ask a few questions: is this a good resort to bring kids? Is there a kids pool and is there a swimming beach near by? We can live with tacky furniture as long as the unit is comfortable. (All of our furniture at home is hand-me-down, so most of it is stained and worn.)

Assuming exchangers get the worst location, are these units reasonably quiet?

Any other info on exchanging into this resort would be great.

Thanks

Werner

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stefa,

"The Point" is residential condo complex on a residential street with speed bumps. I think all units, even Garden Views, face away from the quiet road.

There is swimming pool with a kids area and a kids hot tub, and separate adults hot tub. The Point is a large campus of 8 or 9 buildings scattered over 20-something nicely landscaped acres.

The furniture is good quality and generally new but timesharers are tough on furniture so it doesn't last long. I suppose that there are some units that get beat up more than others. We've notice wear and tear on what was clearly new model furniture.

The shoreline at the Point is mostly cliffs but Shipwreck Beach, in front of the Hyatt, is a 5 minute walk. Poipu Beach is a 5 minute drive. In the winter you can watch the whales from the cliffs. In summer be sure to watch the turtles along the surf line.

The grounds are beautiful and kept up. But it is not a hotel-like resort. There are no water slides, lazy rivers, or on-site restaurants, just a pool bar serving snacks. We own there, go there, and always enjoy our stay. We'll be back in March.

EZ-ED

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stefa,
Our only problem with noise was from the people in the unit above us. We were on the 1st floor and the people above us never seemed to sit and read or watch tv. Constant walking on the tile floor that transmitted the sound very efficiently into our unit. If available I would recommend a top floor unit. No noise from above and you may even have a better ocean view.

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am one of those who are not fond of The Point...

unless I could get an ocean view, but...

I don't have kids. If I did, I would consider The Point a much better than average Kauai resort. The pool is superior over most other Kauai timeshare pools... and I know most kids consider the pool the most important thing. It is large and on one end you can pretend that you are on a beach, with its zero entry. Off the top of my head, I can only think of three other resorts on Kauai that would be in the running for "Top Kauai Timeshare Pool" and the ranking would be so debatable that it would be an "in the eye of the beholder" type issue. If the pool at the point had an ocean view, I think many in a pool judging jury would rule it the best timeshare pool on Kauai... but it doesnt' have an ocean view... so the jury is still out. Having said that, I can think of timeshares with much better pools than at The Point... they are just not on Kauai.

As has already been stated, Poipu Beach is a short drive and one of the best beaches for kids. Shipwreck... the one that is just a short walk away, is not safe for kids... although it is big and very beautiful.

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I just grabbed an exchange into a 2br at the Point for next August. I was excited until I found this thread.

Since I still have 24 hours to change my mind, I thought I'd ask a few questions: is this a good resort to bring kids? Is there a kids pool and is there a swimming beach near by? We can live with tacky furniture as long as the unit is comfortable. (All of our furniture at home is hand-me-down, so most of it is stained and worn.)

Thanks
There are always lots of kids at Po'ipu. The sand bottom swimming pool seems quite popular with children. Shipwreck Beach (next door at the Hyatt) is not a good swimming beach due to wave action. That, however, makes it a good beach for boogie boarding and surfing. So older kids might enjoy Shipwreck quite a bit.

For younger kids, Po'ipu Beach is much nicer. There is a keiki (children's) area at Po'ipu Beach; the keiki area has a rock wall that shelters it from the waves.

Noise in lower units is pretty typical for any multi-story resort.

Exchangers don't automatically get the worst locations; they get what is left over after owner requests are accommodated. The resort has four view categories - ocean front, ocean view, partial ocean view, and garden view. Owners are placed into units based on their type of ownership. That means the view categories available to exchangers will be in the categories that remain after owner reservations are handled.

If owners have made requests, those requests will be filled to the extent possible. Note that owners requests favor upper floors and corner units.

You can put in a request for specific types of units, and I believe the resort will try to accommodate those requests from the inventory that is available to exchangers. Note, however, that if you request upper floor you are probably less likely to end up in an ocean front unit, though you may increase your chances of being placed in ocean view or partial ocean view. Since garden views are more heavily lower floors, you may decrease your chances of ending up in garden view.

Ocean view and partial ocean view units are also more likely to be close to the parking lots than are ocean front units.

+++++++

I think it would be a huge mistake to cancel a Point at Po'ipu exchange based on the information in this thread unless you were an exchanger for whom nothing but a Westin will suffice.

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
You'll Be Fine

Stefa,

I would not worry about The Point at Poipu. I stayed there with my family and it was a very nice location. We had a great time there. The pool is perfect for kids. I brought my 11 year old and he found friends and they had a great time. We even barbecued outside a few times and it was fantastic in the environment that is there.

I believe this is on of DRI's better resorts that I have either stayed in our visited. It is not the same as my Marriott Ko Olina property, but it is a nice one.

I would not worry about anything. Enjoy that island. There are so many great beaches to explore there. There are also tours that leave from the resort to if you wish to do some other activities. I like Kauai because it is very tranquil. You will need a car to visit other parts of the island. You won't want to miss some of the most beautiful spots like the Princeville area.

I guarantee you will have a great time. :whoopie:

lv_maui

Reaction score
What happened to Jamie?

For those who may be interested the General Manager is Christopher A. Gampon and the Director of owner and Guest Services is Patricia R. Ornellas.

Where is Jamie now? I thought she was a great general manager. Did Diamond bring in "their" guy?

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu

Thanks

Our daughter is 5 and she goes every year with us and has a blast. She digs the pool and could spend the entire week in it. What ages for your kids?

Al

alanraycole

TUG Member
Reaction score
This directly conflicts with what two different employees told me!

Exchangers don't automatically get the worst locations; they get what is left over after owner requests are accommodated. The resort has four view categories - ocean front, ocean view, partial ocean view, and garden view. Owners are placed into units based on their type of ownership. That means the view categories available to exchangers will be in the categories that remain after owner reservations are handled.

I was flat out told by two different employees that people coming in through RCI are automatically given garden view. I didn't imagine it. In fact, I asked one to get a manager for me, which caused her to get indignant and she then told me that it wouldn't do any good. She then told me that her manager was unavailable, so I would have to come back... so I took what they gave me. Granted, she didn't say all exchangers, so maybe it is just a RCI thing... but, nonetheless, she was emphatic! For what it is worth, before arrival I put in a request for ocean view. The person over the phone took the request. It was the two people at check in that told me that RCI people automatically get garden view.

There could be explanations for the disparity in what TRO reports and what employees report, such as the employeess knew it was useless or they just didn't want to be bothered. But, it happened!

Last edited:

Stefa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter is 5 and she goes every year with us and has a blast. She digs the pool and could spend the entire week in it. What ages for your kids?

Al

My boys will be 9, 6 and 2, so the pool sounds perfect for us. We are also hoping to do some day trips, but we'll have to see...

Fisch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Point at Poipu
My boys will be 9, 6 and 2, so the pool sounds perfect for us. We are also hoping to do some day trips, but we'll have to see...

When in August will you be there? We are going to go in the summer for the first time 8/15-8/22. We usually go in October.

Many excellent day trips to take. You can find several beaches that would be good for your kids to play at.

Al