• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning for New York City!

ctreelmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just had dinner at Rosie O'Grady's (same building as the Manhattan Club) and it was very nice. Service could have been more attentive, but it wasn't bad. We got there early (about 4:30) and were seated immediately but by the time we left there was a long line. Had a veal dish with lobster meat and dd had the seafood pasta.

At first, we tried Ellen's Stardust Diner but it was uncomfortably crowded with too many tables for the space, really LOUD :eek: and the food looked really greasy. It was my dd's 13th birthday so we wanted something a little more sophisticated.

Did the NBC Studio tour which was better than I thought it would be; got to watch Carson Daily do a remote from inside the store--very cool for the new teenager.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you look at www.costco.com website. Do a search under New York and you'll find a reduced rate for a City Pass for $44.95 for adults and $34.99 for kids under 18. One of the most wonderful parts of the pass is you actually bypass the long lines at the ticket booths.

From the website:

The New York CityPass® gets you into six famous attractions. You have nine days to visit each attraction (once) beginning the day you first use your CityPass®. Once you have your CityPass®, simply present your booklet on your way into each attraction. The agent will remove that attraction's ticket, and you're in.

New York CityPass® Adult Information:

Ages: 18 and up
Admission to the following six attractions:
Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum
Guggenheim Museum
The Museum of Modern Art
Circle Line Sightseeing Cruises
American Museum of Natural History
Empire State Building Observatory
Booklet is valid for nine days beginning the first day you use it
First day of use must occur by March 31, 2007

Also check on www.Skyauction.com and search for New York City. There are some wonderful theater tickets and dinner packages there. I think the whole thing is only $100 a person but you must buy at least two. It is offered for lots of shows, so you can take your pick. I figure that the two tickets are worth around $150, so you actually get dinner for two for $50 in NYC, at a nice theater district eatery, where food is never cheap.
Marylyn

Last edited:

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from five nights right near the MC. We were in a suite at the Rihga Royal for our fifth year in a row, so we have some places we've grown to love over the years.

Now, we didn't have a kitchen. We often had evening plans - two shows, bunch of dinners, etc. So we usually had two meals per day - a brunch and an early dinner. Cafe Europa is on the corner of 57th and 7th - one block away - and is very reasonable for breakfast or lunch. Slightly crowded but very much like a french bistro.

Now if you want to go hog wild for brunch, you must go to Norma's at the Parker Meridien (58th I believe). It's rated the best brunch in NY - but don't go on Sunday as it is a very long wait.

Remi's on 53rd is excellent (fancy) Italian. One of our favorite places in the city is on Restaurant Row (46th St) between 8th and 9th - Orso. Also Italian influences but reasonable and hip. We have often seen Broadway stars there. There really are too many places to mention.

Don't miss the Museum of Modern Art on 53rd (5th-6th). Certainly worth a few hours. If you want a very special meal ($$$) in the area, One of NY's newest restaurants is The Modern - next to the museum. It's owned by Danny Meyer who also owns some of the best places in NY (Union Square Cafe and Gramercy Tavern-my personal favorite).

You should go to www.BroadwayBox.com to check out discount offers for shows when you will be here. I prefer that to waiting until the day of and hoping for the best - and using cash!

This is longer than I expected, but try to give someone just a little advice about NY! BTW, we stayed out of the subways - either walked or took the cabs which ran from $5-$8.

Have a great time.

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
stevens397 said:
BTW, we stayed out of the subways - either walked or took the cabs which ran from $5-$8.

Have a great time.

There is NO reason to stay out of the subways, provided you aren't traveling in the middle of the night to/from far flung locations. If you limit yourself to walking and taking cabs in the $5 to $8 range, you are not leaving midtown/west side, and are seeing the narrowest and most touristy glimpse of the city. The subways are safe and the most efficient means of getting to many places. Busses are great too, but can take a while to get where you're going, though I do resort to the 5th avenue bus downtown from the Metropolitan Museum since it's a long walk to the subway from there. Pick up a subway map and familiarize yourself with it if you are worried about getting confused. Think about places you'd like to see, then look at the map to plan how you'd get there. OR just ask for directions, people are more helpful than you'd expect here....

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Avery said:
There is NO reason to stay out of the subways, provided you aren't traveling in the middle of the night to/from far flung locations.

I wouldn't take a subway that heads to the South Bronx after midnight. Other than that, the subways are cheap, clean, convenient, and quite a good and quick way to get around town. You have to be able to climb up or down a flight of steps to get in or out of them, though, as very few of the stations have escalators. They are also not very accessible if you are in a wheelchair -- only a few stations are, and the subway map is neither clear nor always correct about those.

Other than that, don't avoid the subways -- they are an essential part of the New York experience.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Having been a New Yorker for my formative years and up until I was 25, I will tell you that the EXPERIENCE is not all that wonderful. NYC subways are a great way to get from point A to point B but they are not clean or especially nice. Please don't use a rest room on the subway or carry food. It just isn't sanitary and the bathrooms are NOT safe. I still use the subways because they are so Convienent but do not get confused and think they are fun or romantic or any other superlative.
I agree that you should take the subways to get from uptown to downtown and from Manhattan to say, Brooklyn, but don't go late at night anywhere! The rush hours are 7:30 to 9:30 AM and 4-7 at night and the stations and cars are packed during that time. I think the best time for the subway is after 10 AM and before 4 PM. JMHO, but I lived there, and go there several times a month, so I guess I am sort of an expert. BTW, New Yorkers avoid cabs, as they tend to get stuck in traffic, and make you nuts while the meter ticks on and on. If you watched the Apprentice a guy missed an important meeting because he took a cab and he got there an hour late. Even Trump was astounded that he took a cab from midtown to the west side when the subway was right there and would have taken him 10 minutes.
So taking the subway may not be romantic but it is efficient and quick.

Last edited:

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Date change... AGAIN!

Kevin said:
Ok, now that we've decided to keep our late March '06 exchange into Manhattan Club... let the fun begin!

Though I'm sure this has been asked and answered, I thought I'd start a new "Best Things NYC" thread. Please help with any of the following ideas for a one week "newbie" trip to the Big Apple:

Best web site or books for info
Must see's & do's
Best "Eats" - cheapo and / or "Big money"
Best shows
Do's & don'ts
Shopping
Public transportation

Etc... etc...etc...!!!

We don't normally do tours and we won't be renting a car. Any advice will be considered GOOD advice. The more information the better. Thanks! :)

Kevin

Business has forced us to change our plans once again. We changed our check-in to June 23rd. We've gone from a winter to spring to summer travel date!

What activities can we add to our list, now that the weather will be warmer? Thanks ALL! :)

Kevin

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well now you can definitely do a boat trip around the city. Many people like Circle Line. There really isn't much in the city that is weather-dependent, that's part of what's so great about visiting! I suppose if you really wanted to give up a city day, you could head to one of our world class beaches, but if you're coming from the other coast it wouldn't seem to pay to give up a city day for that....

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Coney Island?

Avery said:
Well now you can definitely do a boat trip around the city. Many people like Circle Line. There really isn't much in the city that is weather-dependent, that's part of what's so great about visiting! I suppose if you really wanted to give up a city day, you could head to one of our world class beaches, but if you're coming from the other coast it wouldn't seem to pay to give up a city day for that....

Avery,

My office is in Huntington Beach... I don't go to the beach here! Cancun area beaches and beaches in Hawaii have spoiled us! :D

Is Coney Island worth a day or half day trip? Your help has been appreciated!
:)
Kevin

Denise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kevin: We enjoyed the following tours: NBC Studio, Radio City and the Rockefeller Center. Cheap eats were found under the Rockefeller center with plenty of tables to eat/relax. St. Patricks Cathedral was well worth the visit.

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
MC Extra Fees!

Kevin said:
Ok, now that we've decided to keep our late June 06 ( originally March 06 )exchange into Manhattan Club... let the fun begin!

Though I'm sure this has been asked and answered, I thought I'd start a new "Best Things NYC" thread. Please help with any of the following ideas for a one week "newbie" trip to the Big Apple:

Best web site or books for info
Must see's & do's
Best "Eats" - cheapo and / or "Big money"
Best shows
Do's & don'ts
Shopping
Public transportation

Etc... etc...etc...!!!

We don't normally do tours and we won't be renting a car. Any advice will be considered GOOD advice. The more information the better. Thanks! :)

Kevin

Though the mandatory $25 per day won't ruin our trip... it makes me
*%#@*!& angry!! Talk about bait and switch.

Anyway, any other suggestions? ;)

dvc95

TUG Member
Reaction score
NYC Rocks!

My friend and I just finished our week in NYC and had a week we won't soon forget!

We went to Carnegie Deli on our first day (If you go--remember to split the sandwich because the portions are HUGE). You also are in tight quarters--pretty much sitting with the next table. We ended up sitting next to Beth and Jarrod, who, it turns out, are leads in the Broadway play Ring of Fire. We went and saw our new friends on Wednesday and really enjoyed the show. It's a musical with 38 Johnny Cash songs. I've never really listened much to JC but the show was awesome--he's got some great songs! I totally recommend the show.

We also (being of Irish heritage) spent most evenings at Olde Castle Pub which the Concierge, Carmine, had recommended. It's on the corner of 54th and 7th (but actually on 54th, about 2 or 3 shops in on the left when leaving MC). Carmine did us right on that one! It's really a local's place but it's clean, good food, great staff and some of the most interesting people dropping in for a drink (including the Editor-in-Chief of Popular Mechanics!). Okay, I'm clearly easily impressed--but it was cool in my book. ;)

Also, across the street from Olde Castle was Faces and Names--good food which is also cheap (they have $7 lunch specials). Carmine had recommended that as well.

And speaking of Carmine--so much nicer and helpful than anyone else, he's got a "cheat sheet" for the subway. It's got a bunch of frequently asked for spots and tells you which trains to take to get there (we went to Ellis Island). Ask at the concierge desk for it--it saved the day for us.

Well, I know this was a bit rambling, but I hope it was helpful. Have fun on your trip (despite the new fees)!

Heidi

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Less than 60 days!

Thank you to all who have contributed! Just an update...

We are now trying to decide on which play to attend. We are thinking about Wicked... The Producers... Hairspray or Rent. Any comments on these or others? We may go to two.

We've also come to the conclusion that we we'll probably eat more than we would on a cruise! :eek: We are not looking for fancy "upscale" dining. I'll be looking for pizza, pastrami, soul food, a good hot dog stand and desserts! :whoopie:

Also, though we won't miss a trip to the Empire State Building, what are your thoughts on the TOTR?

TIA

( anybody else ever wonder why there were so many TUG members named "TIA" before finally getting it? Maybe it was just me.:doh: )

Kevin

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Re: Less than 60 days!

Kevin said:
Also, though we won't miss a trip to the Empire State Building, what are your thoughts on the TOTR?

TIA
Okay, I know what TIA stands for (thanks in advance), but what is TOTR?

Of the plays you mentioned, I can highly recommend Hairspray. It's the only one of the four I've seen, but I've seen it three times both on Broadway and when it debuted in Seattle. It's so much fun.

Last edited:

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score

Karen G said:
Okay, I know what TIA stands for (thanks in advance), but what is TOTR?

I'm sorry... Top Of The Rock ( Rockefeller Center ).

K

wauhob3

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

I have seen all but The Producers from your list. They are all excellent. Rent is edgy and has great songs, Wicked has great songs and girls especially enjoy it and Hairspray is funny. Wicked tickets would be hard to get if you are going in just 60 days and is the one in most demand.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

Kevin said:
I'll be looking for pizza,
John's, Ray's or Grimaldi's

Kevin said:
pastrami,

Katz's Deli (I hear Second Avenue Deli, which was a local favorite, closed. And Ben's, which is one of bigfrank's favorites, is out in Queens, so you'd have to leave Manhattan. Many say that Langer's in Los Angeles makes a better pastrami sandwich than anywhere in New York, and I might actually agree. But, there's something about going to the source, and I think Katz's is the best in Manhattan.)

Kevin said:
soul food,

Amy Ruth's

Kevin said:
a good hot dog stand

Nathan's in Coney Island or Gray's Papaya in Manhattan. Others say the hot dogs at Katz's are good. Or you might just get one off a street cart.

Kevin said:
and desserts!

Serendipity 3 for Frozen Hot Chocolate or Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sundae; Carnegie Deli's Cheesecake is very tasty; Lindy's which "invented" cheesecake as we know it today, is now fairly uninspired; Lemon Cupcakes (or possibly any of the other "comfort food"-type desserts) at Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery; Rugalah at Sam Ash's Deli; Chocolate Souffle at One if By Land, Two if By Sea for a splurge.

For other sweets, the Noodle Kugel at Yonah Schimmel's Knishes is also quite good, as are the blintzes at Stage Deli. Some of the bakeries in Little Italy make awfully good cannoli and other Italian pastries/sweets.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Re: Date change... AGAIN!

Kevin said:
What activities can we add to our list, now that the weather will be warmer?

Sweating and panting a lot. :D

Do remember to take more clothes (or buy a bunch at Century 21 while you're there). Going in July, you'll probably have to change your shirt two to four times in a day, and the MC does not have laundry facilities (though there is a service laundry around the corner that probably will charge you about $25 for a load).

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Century 21... great!

Hoc said:
Sweating and panting a lot. :D

Do remember to take more clothes (or buy a bunch at Century 21 while you're there). Going in July, you'll probably have to change your shirt two to four times in a day, and the MC does not have laundry facilities (though there is a service laundry around the corner that probably will charge you about $25 for a load).

Hoc,

As always... lots of great info... However, I'll be deleting your last post when I print this thread and show it to my better half! :eek:

Kevin

Avery

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Coney Island?

Kevin said:
Avery,

My office is in Huntington Beach... I don't go to the beach here! Cancun area beaches and beaches in Hawaii have spoiled us! :D

Is Coney Island worth a day or half day trip? Your help has been appreciated!
:)
Kevin

Sorry, I haven't been checking in here much. IMO, NO. Unless you are coming with little ones who would enjoy the Aquarium and you are dying to see the amusement park even though it is disappointing as parks go these days. The neighborhood around Coney Island is not very nice. And if you are coming with little ones, they'd enjoy the Central Park Zoo just as much or more, and it'd save you a big trip since you can walk there from the MC.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Re: Century 21... great!

Kevin said:
However, I'll be deleting your last post when I print this thread and show it to my better half! :eek:

;)

I don't blame you. Though, I grew up in Hawaii, and I'm a weather wimp. Can't handle too hot or too cold. :)

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BTW, for details on Century 21, click here.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a week's stay at the Affinia Dumont using our RHC weekly contract. We stayed in a lovely one bedroom apt. I highly recommend this hotel.

Now that I think about it the best thing I found was the one week NY Metro Fun Pass. We got into the city, we only live 25 miles away in NJ, on Saturday in the late afternoon. Sunday morning we went to the local station on 33rd and Park and bought this pass at the vending machine. Keep your receipt in a safe place in case you lose your pass like I did (luckily I found it but I had the receipt just in case) and you can have it replaced. We took buses for short hops and subways all over the city. We used this as our own HOP on HOP off bus service. The heck with Greyline!!We saw a lot and paid very little. Make sure you pick up a subway and bus map at main train stations like we did. We got the bus and subway map at Grand Central Station but you can also pick them up at the Tourist Bureau on Broadway or other subway stops. They are free and up to date. Don't pay for one at the numerous book stores around town. It is a waste of money and they may not be up to date. The pass cost us $24 per person for the week. Since the regular price of busses or subways is $2 you see you can come out ahead very rapidly. We took up to 10 busses each day. We are not new to NYC, obviously, but to be able to stay in the city was a real treat for us. I would recommend that everyone who stays in the city get a Fun Pass. In fact had I thought about it ahead of time you can get it for 1/2 price if you are a senior or disabled. This can only be done by mail so if you fit into this catagory this is something you might look into.

Last edited:

Sue K

TUG Member
Reaction score
Icydog (Marylyn) FYI FAO Swartz IS open! Someone else bought the store but it is still called FAO Swartz and still has the toy soldier (live) outside welcoming you. The store has been rennovated but is basically the same. The annimated structure playing the FAO Swartz song at the beginning of the store is gone, and I really miss that, but most of it is basically the same. The thing they added at the back of the first floor is a soda fountain with the absolute biggest (huge) sundaes, shakes and sodas you have EVER, EVER seen in your entire life. One person cannot eat it all so do share. It is worth it to go there to have one! My husband and I had a shake last December and it came with three straws- a short one for on top, a medium sized one for when you get to the middle and a very long one to get to the bottom. To drink the bottom of the shake one must take the container off the table to reach it (or stand up). Larry King sat at a table next to us sharing a sundae with some woman I did not recognize (not his wife). He is so skinny that one would never believe he eats that sort of thing but I saw him do it.....

If you have no preference on what Broadway show to see do go to the tickets booth on Times Square and see what is available. The tickets are usually half price (or somewhere close to that). They start selling tickets for the matinees at 10:00 AM I believe (for the days there are matinees) and tickets for evening perforances go on sale at 2:00 PM. It's a good deal and we've gotten some good shows there but as another poster mentioned they only take cash and travelers' checks.