• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Planning for New York City!

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawrence Welk Resort, San Diego, CA
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II , Palm Desert, CA
We really were amazed by the Toys R Us in Times Square, 4 floors and an indoor ferris wheel. Also the Circle line boat going all the way around the island was a really great experience.

Enjoy.

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm lookin' sharp!

Thanks to all who have added to this thread. Lots of great info. I'm less than 2 months from our 2nd trip to Maui and all I can think of is NYC in 8.5 months!

I made my first purchase in preparation for the weather... a Bill Blass "over coat" on sale for just $50! I probably should take it off right now though... it's kind of hot in here! :D

Keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again.

Kevin

mike130

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc said:
Yonah Schimmel's knishes

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Schimmel's Knishes.

There are only two places in the WORLD were you can buy a REAL Knish. Schimmel's and Kinsh Nosh in Queens.

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
mike130 said:
There are only two places in the WORLD were you can buy a REAL Knish. Schimmel's and Kinsh Nosh in Queens.

About 30 years ago, there was a place in Miami called "The Knishery." They could have been added to the list, but, alas, they are no more.

Of course, I liked their non-traditional knishes best. Chow Mein Knishes with mustard, and cherry cheese knishes. But the potato ones were good, as well.

Now that I've tried Ben's Deli in Queens (who, by the way, make a really good knish, as well), I guess I have to try Knish Nosh. Frank, what about it? Perhaps next May?

:)

mike130

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hoc said:
Now that I've tried Ben's Deli in Queens (who, by the way, make a really good knish, as well), I guess I have to try Knish Nosh. Frank, what about it? Perhaps next May?

:)
Knish Nosh is about four blocks east of Ben,s on Queens Blvd, same side of the street. Ben's makes a good knish also.

shoney

Reaction score
I know it's a tour but worth it!!!

my husband and I don't normally take tours either, however a food tour through Greenwich village (www.foodsofny.com) was well worth it. We were introduced to some really great restaurants that we still frequent. (We are only an hour train ride away!) It was very informal and fun.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
When we went to NYC last summer someone recommended we buy a current Zagat's restaurant guide. It was very helpful.

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
marion10 said:
We enjoyed the Tenement Museum.
http://www.tenement.org/

And, it's just around the corner from the Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery, who make about the best Lemon Cupcakes I have ever had in my life! Lemony and buttery. MMMMMMM! It's in the lower east side, on Rivington between Essex and Norfolk.

claire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great stuff! Here's more...

Wow, real great info here, I too am presently planning our 2 day big apple stopover on our way to Thailand next spring. I am not the NY pro and far from it, but I always deeply research our travel destinations and I can vouch for all that has been posted on this thread as being top notch info!

I have also come across these sites which could be of help in planning your trip.

For the ny transit system, routes, schedules, maps you name it they have it go here...
http://www.mta.info/nyct/index.html

For mapping out routes from one direction to another this is a great site...
http://www.hopstop.com

For checking out resto menu's and prices hit this site....
http://www.menupages.com

The following 3 sites have general info and good reads...
http://www.nycvisit.com
http://www.timeoutny.com
http://www.villagevoice.com

And of course flyer talk threads on the NY board found under "travel and dining sections". As always FT is a great source of info. http://www.flyertalk.com

Happy trails! Claire ;-)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am going to see Wicked on 8/13. Was wondering if anyone could also recommend reasonable accomodations for 1-2 nights nearby?

Thank you!
Liane

Iowa Rod

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cafe wha

My wife and I go to NYC 1 to 2 times a year. 3 years ago while I was looking in city search I did a search for live music. That is where we found the cafe wha? by far the most fun and greatest bar with live music I have ever encountered. Its in the villiage. Every wed and sun there is no cover. The cafe wha band has 12-15 members many of which have been nominated or won grammys. They play all types of music from Clapton to Areatha Frankin to Sting. I have recomended it to many and each person who has gone there has told me its just awsome. My wife and I will be there in September. look at their web page www.cafewha.com be sure to get reservations. Its just a 6 dollar cab ride from midtown. I also highly reccomend the circle line full island cruise. Its a great way to see the island from the east river and the hudson. Enjoy NYC its the greatest city on earth.
Rod

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I always have fun at Cafe Wha in the Village whenever I go to New York. A bit crowded, but you can dance in the aisles, so long as you let the waitresses pass.

aregee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Check out Radio City Apts

I havwe looked at these places as well but check out the reviews on TripAdvisor before you book. Richard M.

overthehill

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark since 1998 - Stayed at WM 61 resorts so far, but slowing down

Joe L

TUG Member
Reaction score
You definately have to get the Zagat's guide for NY restaurants. It lists some of the greatest lunch bargains at the best fine dining restaurants in the city. Some examples are $20 dollar three course lunches at: Aureole; Jean Georges; San Domenico; Union Pacific; Bolo...the list is extensive. These are fine dining restaurants that normally cost a fortune. Zagats also lists bargain pre-fixe dinner menus at great fine dinning restaurants too.

aregee

TUG Member
Reaction score
An August place in NYC?

Dear Liane,
According to this last Sunday's New York Times, "Metro-Home, a short term apartment rental company in New York City, is having an August sale at 310 East 55th St. Visitors can choose from studios for $119 a night or one-bedroom for 179 a night, all with fully equipped kitchens. The building has 24-hour doormen. Local and state taxes of 13.65 percent are extra, plus a daily $2 a room occupancy tax (studios count as two rooms; one bedrooms as three). For details, call (800) 987-1235 or see www.metro-home.com." (Travel section)

This is not extraordinarily close to the theatre district nor is it very far away. --Richard M.

Last edited:

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's another tip for those visiting NYC or even those who live here or close by. Skyauction now auctions off Broadway hhows in conjunction with $100 or more in restaurant certificates and/or tours of NYC, etc. I just won one for two tickets to see a Broadway Show plus a $100 restuarant gift certificate to a restuarant with harbor views of the Statute of Liberty for $132, inclusive of all fees. Each show ticket alone is worth $100. Not a bad deal at all.

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
When are you going?

Sorry Dani, I missed your post re when you will be in NYC-relevant for these auctions. We're going Mar. 10, 2006-are these still available/ useable then?
Thanks
Anita
ps got it with a DIK

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PClapham said:
Sorry Dani, I missed your post re when you will be in NYC-relevant for these auctions. We're going Mar. 10, 2006-are these still available/ useable then?

Dani lives there. But, if you check on Skyauction, you will see various times when you can use the certificates and show tickets. Each auction is different. None are going out through March 10, 2006 yet. But, wait awhile and they might.

Dani

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
PClapham said:
Thanks
Anita
ps got it with a DIK

Good for you Anita!!! MC with Dik...doesn't get any better than that ;) Hoc is right, they basically run them all of the time but not usually more than two or three months out. When I purchsed mine, I saw dates through October for the shows. The restaurant coupons seem to be good for 1 year and do not have to be used on the same date as the show. I chose the Battery Gardens restaurant in Battery Park which used to be the American Park restaurant. I've been told that this restaurant has fantastic views of the NY harbor.

Hoc- BTW, Time Out NY just came out with their Cheap Eats Ethnic Cuisine for 80 Countries List. Their choice for best bagel...Absolute Bagels at 2788 Broadway between 106th and 107th Streets...#1 Train to 110th Street. Just thought I'd let you know ;)

Last edited:

Hoc

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Dani said:
Hoc- BTW, Time Out NY just came out with their Cheap Eats Ethnic Cuisine for 80 Countries List. Their choice for best bagel...Absolute Bagels at 2788 Broadway between 106th and 107th Streets...#1 Train to 110th Street. Just thought I'd let you know ;)

Thanks. It's now on the list for November (Affinia Dumont), or, if my friends don't want to go this time, then I'm coming back in May with different friends (HGVC New York).

TEK224

TUG Member
Reaction score
Liane,

When I went to NY to see Wicked, we stayed at the Novotel, just around the corner from the theatre. It was nice and had a bar in the lobby. I think I booked through Expedia for around $130/nt.

To the OP, I would recommend Wicked, Rent or Movin' Out. Of course I also loved Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King.

Terri