• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Phase 3 at Kings Land

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
All,

Apologies for typos (Dratted iPhone) and if this is redundant.

Three new buildings are being constructed opposite the Operations Center and Building 1. I obtained a sales brochure that indicates they are a mixture of Phase 1 and Phase 2 floor plans/point requirements. It appears they are building exact replica of existing floors and calling them Golf or Garden views. The only new point addition is a 3BR unit that is luxury priced (23K points). But it is the same floor layout as Phase 1 - truly just copying existing floor plans and point charts into the new phase.

Kings Land is an interesting property. TUGgers know that I love timeshares that connect into an adjacent hotels amenities and this is a prime example. I love the Hilton Waikoloa Village (HWV) hotel as an excursion in its own right, although we like returning to KL after being out and about.

But Big Island as a whole is interesting. From conversations with HWV staff, occupancy is down and the nonstop flight from Tokyo had been canceled. Fewer Japanese guests are coming to this hotel built-to-attract-Japanese tourists. Small wonder that one day Ocean Tower will be timeshares.

And yet Kings Land continues to build. Interesting stuff.

I'm happy because I love this property and look forward to many happy returns. I welcome continued expansion because I think it makes it easier for me to return.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Greg, thanks for the update. We have visited KL but haven't stayed there. Really liked the pool area as well as what we saw of the resort. The hotel grounds were also very nice. Some day we need to find a way to stay there. Perhaps an owner trade some time in the future.

Best regards.

Mike

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fewer Japanese guests are coming to this hotel built-to-attract-Japanese tourists. Small wonder that one day Ocean Tower will be timeshares.

What is going on with Ocean Tower at this time? The last time I was there, it was closed off, as well as the areas next to it (the water slide and the outdoor bar/snack station on the waterfront). I saw a photo on Tug of a sign that said a timeshare was coming to that location. It's been a few years. I am wondering if they kept it closed, or reopened it for hotel guests.

elleny76

Reaction score
Hi, Just curious about this resort . Do they have "kids" area? like water park with sprinkles? What else is there to do a family with toddlers? Just curious ( I don't see much in the website)

All,

Apologies for typos (Dratted iPhone) and if this is redundant.

Three new buildings are being constructed opposite the Operations Center and Building 1. I obtained a sales brochure that indicates they are a mixture of Phase 1 and Phase 2 floor plans/point requirements. It appears they are building exact replica of existing floors and calling them Golf or Garden views. The only new point addition is a 3BR unit that is luxury priced (23K points). But it is the same floor layout as Phase 1 - truly just copying existing floor plans and point charts into the new phase.

Kings Land is an interesting property. TUGgers know that I love timeshares that connect into an adjacent hotels amenities and this is a prime example. I love the Hilton Waikoloa (HWH) hotel as a diversion in its own right, although we like coming back to KL.

But Big Island as a whole is interesting. From conversations with HWH staff, occupancy is down and the nonstop from Tokyo had been canceled. Fewer Japanese guests are coming to this hotel built-to-attract-Japanese tourists. Small wonder that one day Ocean Tower will be timeshares.

I'm happy because I love this property and look forward to many happy returns. I welcome continued expansion because I think it makes it easier for me to return.

Best,

Greg

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
What is going on with Ocean Tower at this time? The last time I was there, it was closed off, as well as the areas next to it (the water slide and the outdoor bar/snack station on the waterfront). I saw a photo on Tug of a sign that said a timeshare was coming to that location. It's been a few years. I am wondering if they kept it closed, or reopened it for hotel guests.

I stayed in the Ocean Tower September 2013 and 2015. Nothing around it was closed, and the sign wasn't there. I asked a salesman about the conversion. He said it's scheduled after the new tower at HHV and Kings Land phase 3.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

Here is the thread where we tracked the progress -- the third page is most current and I expect that this project will proceed. I do believe the tower is open to hotel guests now, but will confirm when we return to the property (today I think).

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi, Just curious about this resort . Do they have "kids" area? like water park with sprinkles? What else is there to do a family with toddlers? Just curious ( I don't see much in the website)

They do have a "kids" area, but it is more limited than other timeshare pools I have seen. If you are looking for an Orlando style pool (or even a pirate ship pool like MOC or WKORV), it doesn't exist here. They do have a shallow area with some water streams and a kid-friendly slide -- and then there are other slides in the pool area that will really appeal to the 6+ year old kid (and the 48 year old kid). It's a wonderful property. The hotel has a similar kids pool area -- again, good but not best in class.

Best,

Greg

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both. We stayed in the Ocean Tower during our very first visit to Hawaii. We were cramped in our room (family of 4), but we hardly spent anytime inside there. Since it was our first visit to Hawaii, it was very magical. I am looking forward to staying there again, only in a larger room. Hopefully, I will be able to get a reservation there when it opens up.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One other comment -- the Phase 3 artist sketch shows a pool between two of the buildings (the two closest to Kohala Suites) but I can't tell whether it will be a simple pool or a bigger pool. I'm guessing simple.

Does anyone have the site map of Kings Land? I have the one with Japanese characters on it, but it only shows the buildings to the north of the road. I recall seeing an original map somewhere that had the full development. I'm curious how many more buildings might be contemplated?

Best,

Greg

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
All,

K

Thanks for the great update. They had just started framing up the first set of new buildings when we were there last May.. At that point the buildings looked that would mirror Phase two with the interior hallways. Are you saying some of the new building will have the exterior entrances and high point deeds?

One of the Kiosk guys on Ohau had mentioned new high point deeds were coming to both HHV and the Big Island, but guessed he was just pushing me to upgrade..

Chris

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the great update. They had just started framing up the first set of new buildings when we were there last May.. At that point the buildings looked that would mirror Phase two with the interior hallways. Are you saying some of the new building will have the exterior entrances and high point deeds?

One of the Kiosk guys on Ohau had mentioned new high point deeds were coming to both HHV and the Big Island, but guessed he was just pushing me to upgrade..

Chris

Chris,

That is a good point -- none of the buildings have direct exterior entrances to the rooms, and all have interior hallways. However it is clear from the sales brochure that Phase 3 does include rooms that have Phase 1 point pricing (and have Phase 1 room layouts). So apparently they've found a new design that puts some Phase 1 and some Phase 2 rooms (and points) in a hybrid for Phase 3?

I hope that makes sense -- I love the patio furniture in Phase 1 (which I am sitting on right now) and hopes this makes it over to Phase 3.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here are a few items from the sales brochure -- note how the points chart differentiates between Layouts -- F Large (Phase 1), K Small (Phase 2) and H Large (Phase 3) and then the layouts show how both are included in Phase 3. I cut off the legend at the bottom of the points chart, but F, K and H represent the parcels for the different phases.

Points chart for all of Kings Land

ry%3D400

Floor Plan Layout -- 1BR

ry%3D480

Floor Plan Layout -- 2BR and 3BR

ry%3D480

Sketch of Phase 3

ry%3D480

Last edited:

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't picture where phase 3 is. Is it on the same side of the property as phase one or phase 2? In the sketch picture, what is the building at the bottom of the page?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I can't picture where phase 3 is. Is it on the same side of the property as phase one or phase 2? In the sketch picture, what is the building at the bottom of the page?

Thats the service building for Phase 1 and Building 1.

Greg, how about Marriott, aren't they talking of converting that to TS also, maybe you can snoop around there :)

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC

Same side as phase 2. When you face phase 2 from the road, phase 3 is to the right.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thats the service building for Phase 1 and Building 1.

Same side as phase 2. When you face phase 2 from the road, phase 3 is to the right.

Hmm, sounds like a nice location for walking to other areas in Waikoloa. I wonder if it would be easy to walk to the shops from there or to the little strip of Waikoloa Beach.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Thanks for posting the floor plans and point charts... With the inside hallways, no windows in the 2nd bedroom... I see they also added two bedrooms with "Garden" view, aka Parking Lot view... I will try and avoid those rooms.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for sharing

But Big Island as a whole is interesting. From conversations with HWV staff, occupancy is down and the nonstop flight from Tokyo had been canceled. Fewer Japanese guests are coming to this hotel built-to-attract-Japanese tourists. Small wonder that one day Ocean Tower will be timeshares.

That's not good. The Hilton Waikoloa Village is a huge property to maintain. I wonder if the Ocean Tower conversion will be enough to keep things going.

If they ever decide to sell the Hilton hotel, Kings Land sales might take a hit :ignore:
So it's best for HGVC to build out and sell Kings Land units as much as they can while they still own the Waikoloa hotel. I'm sure access to the nearby Hilton hotel amenities is one of the additional owners benefits that they probably promote during their sales presentation. ;)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's not good. The Hilton Waikoloa Village is a huge property to maintain. I wonder if the Ocean Tower conversion will be enough to keep things going.

If they ever decide to sell the Hilton hotel, Kings Land sales might take a hit :ignore:
So it's best for HGVC to build out and sell Kings Land units as much as they can while they still own the Waikoloa hotel. I'm sure access to the nearby Hilton hotel amenities is one of the additional owners benefits that they probably promote during their sales presentation. ;)

That is one of the main reason why I bought at Kings' Land.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are a few items from the sales brochure -- note how the points chart differentiates between Layouts -- F Large (Phase 1), K Small (Phase 2) and H Large (Phase 3) and then the layouts show how both are included in Phase 3. I cut off the legend at the bottom of the points chart, but F, K and H represent the parcels for the different phases.

Points chart for all of Kings Land

ry%3D400

Any way they would allow a resale 12,600 unit to be used as equity yo purchase a higher points unit?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Hmm, sounds like a nice location for walking to other areas in Waikoloa. I wonder if it would be easy to walk to the shops from there or to the little strip of Waikoloa Beach.

There are two ways, the long way and the short cut. Long way is to walk to the hotel and take the beach walk, it leads all the way past Marriott to A-Bay beach, then a short walk to the shops from there. The short cut is to take the cutoff road through the golf course at the three way stop sign next to the driving range, it comes out at the shops. Its also a quick way to KL when driving into the resort.

Here is the map Greg wanted. I don't advise taking the Kings Trail, its very tricky over broken lava, easy to twist an ankle or worse.

f4b7bbdf34fd8b69ddada659888949f3.jpg

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any way they would allow a resale 12,600 unit to be used as equity yo purchase a higher points unit?
Yes, they will. They will either offer you what you paid towards the new contract, or the full retail price of what you own (more than what you paid), it just depends on sales at the time and what you are going to buy. It has to be a decent upgrade, of course.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It is interesting -- I do think the Ocean Tower conversion will make a major difference to the stability of HWV, because the same number of hotel guests are now split between two towers versus three, and now all the timeshare visitors will be incremental -- and I bet that tower will have high occupancy.

Marriott is doing something similar next door -- converting part of their hotel to timeshares, probably for the same reason.

I agree that it is best for HGVC to build out and sell Kings Land as much as they can, and I also think that if the HWV were to sell, Kings Land access would be attractive to a potential buyer of the the hotel, as they would like the incremental business that comes from those visitors.

Interesting stuff.

Best,

Greg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Thank you for the map, this is the one I was thinking of -- Kings Land has the potential to be much bigger than even now. I didn't realize they were contemplating building south of the Operations building. I knew there was still the possibility of building next to Phase 2, but thought that would be it. Will be curious to see if that happens.

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sketch of Phase 3

ry%3D480

While kids did homework, I walked over to the construction site yesterday. Using lanai size as a guide (and roof configuration), I think that the middle building is entirely K Small/Phase 2 size units, with 1BRs facing the parking lot and 2BRs facing the golf course -- so really just a bigger version of the existing Phase 2 buildings.

I can't figure out the end buildings, as the roofs are different from both Phase 1 and Phase 2. Again based on size of the lanai, they appear to have 1BR and 2BR units that face the parking lot and then all 2BRs (and end unit 3BRs) that face the golf course. Based on the Accommodations description in the points chart, the ones facing the parking lot must be K Small/Phase 2 units, and the ones facing the golf course should be F Large/Phase 1 units. So truly a hybrid building?

These units are about as far away from the super pool as I would want to be. Realistically, even these units are a trek to the pool -- farther than Building 1 in Phase 1.

I wonder if Kings Land will bifurcate into two types of units -- those units with easy access to the Super Pool and Clubhouse (Phase 1 and 2) and those units that are more like Kohala Suites, ie great units next to a modest pool, and requiring a logistical exercise to get to the property amenities? I would be a little disappointed to pay Phase 1 point pricing and be located in Phase 3 -- and yet the floor layouts indicate that some of the Phase 3 units will be the F Large layouts.

Interesting.

Best,

Greg

Last edited: