• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Patriot’s Inn Vacation Village Deedback

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village Patriots Inn
Hello everyone,
My husband and I are new here. We have a timeshare at Williamsburg Patriot’s Inn, but due to my husband’s recent medical retirement from the military, we’re finding it difficult to keep up with the costs. We haven’t had the chance to use it at all since we got it a year and a half ago.

We’re looking to explore options as it’s become a bit of a burden for us. She is not paid off. If anyone has any advice on how to go about selling it, deed back, or if you might be interested, we would be so grateful for your insights!

# of Timeshare Interest Purchased:
One Biennial
Assigned Year: Odd
Assigned Year Type: Biennial
Unit Type: One Bedroom
Deeded Week #: 31
Check-in Day: Saturday

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello everyone,
My husband and I are new here. We have a timeshare at Williamsburg Patriot’s Inn, but due to my husband’s recent medical retirement from the military, we’re finding it difficult to keep up with the costs. We haven’t had the chance to use it at all since we got it a year and a half ago.

We’re looking to explore options as it’s become a bit of a burden for us. She is not paid off. If anyone has any advice on how to go about selling it, deed back, or if you might be interested, we would be so grateful for your insights!

# of Timeshare Interest Purchased:
One Biennial
Assigned Year: Odd
Assigned Year Type: Biennial
Unit Type: One Bedroom
Deeded Week #: 31
Check-in Day: Saturday
Just got off the phone with the mortgage company they said we can sell it as they don’t do deed-backs unless it is paid off. Like why not just take it back even before it is paid off. So stupid. She has 6.5k left on it and it’s just to much right now.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most timeshares have little to no value, which is why they have to be paid off for a deedback to be considered.

I see one Patriot's Inn that was sold on ebay for $1 with all transfer fees paid and a $400 gift card to sweeten the deal.

Yes, you did pay thousands for something that is worthless, but don't feel bad, this forum is filled with people who did the same.

If you can't afford your timeshare, you can default by just stopping payment. This may come with a credit hit, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

Beware of timeshare "exit" firms who will take your money.

Here is a recent story:

Good luck

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Most timeshares have little to no value, which is why they have to be paid off for a deedback to be considered.

I see one Patriot's Inn that was sold on ebay for $1 with all transfer fees paid and a $400 gift card to sweeten the deal.

Yes, you did pay thousands for something that is worthless, but don't feel bad, this forum is filled with people who did the same.

If you can't afford your timeshare, you can default by just stopping payment. This may come with a credit hit, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

Beware of timeshare "exit" firms who will take your money.

Here is a recent story:

Good luck
Thank you! I have been thinking about it but I am on the fence. A lot of people just say default and some say that’s a stupid idea. It has 6.5k left and we never used it. So I might just talk to my husband and see what he wants to do. We just want out and it’s so hard cause everything is so expensive . I’m scared to default but I think it might be the only way.

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
You mentioned that your husband just retired from the military, therefore you may be eligible for some free financial counseling services through Military OneSource or Veterans Affairs. Using a free financial planner familiar with military benefits may help you sort out your options, not just for the timeshare, but across the board. $6,500 is actually a much smaller number than pretty much all the others I have seen, but you also have to factor in ongoing maintenance fees and the cost to actually go on the vacation and use the resort.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
also with that amount you may have the option to transfer the balance to another line of credit thus "paying off" the loan and allowing you the option to surrender it back or give it away. or at the very least if neither of those are successful if you choose to just stop paying the annual fees there is a significantly smaller chance that default gets reported to your credit compared to defaulting on the loan!

are a few options, though none of them are likely music to your ears :(

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
See if PenFed or Navy FCU will loan at a lower interest rate, allowing you to pay off the purchase money loan with more favorable terms. And by all means, try to find a week to visit the resort. Patriot's Inn has a great location for Colonial Williamsburg and the many historic sites in the area. Also, shopping and restaurants are nearby but Patriot's Inn has a full kitchen so eating out isn't necessary.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
also with that amount you may have the option to transfer the balance to another line of credit thus "paying off" the loan and allowing you the option to surrender it back or give it away. or at the very least if neither of those are successful if you choose to just stop paying the annual fees there is a significantly smaller chance that default gets reported to your credit compared to defaulting on the loan!

@TUGBrian -- I think you need to edit the title of this forum to Buying, Selling, Renting, & Abandoning Timeshares. :cool:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
you arent wrong! sure has become a hot topic in the past few years!

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

No thank you! I low key forgot that we could refinance and go somewhere else. It’s just the MF are ridiculous right now and I can’t just keep paying that off. The loan is easy in itself but we were told the MF would be 299$ but then in 2 years it’s 500$ and I found that crazy if I only get 1 week out of the every odd year lol

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
See if PenFed or Navy FCU will loan at a lower interest rate, allowing you to pay off the purchase money loan with more favorable terms. And by all means, try to find a week to visit the resort. Patriot's Inn has a great location for Colonial Williamsburg and the many historic sites in the area. Also, shopping and restaurants are nearby but Patriot's Inn has a full kitchen so eating out isn't necessary.
Unfortunately with funds being tight, travel isn’t even in my thought process. We were up there and it was nice but after everything that has happened since then. I just can’t and it sucks.

Blckrose2020

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You mentioned that your husband just retired from the military, therefore you may be eligible for some free financial counseling services through Military OneSource or Veterans Affairs. Using a free financial planner familiar with military benefits may help you sort out your options, not just for the timeshare, but across the board. $6,500 is actually a much smaller number than pretty much all the others I have seen, but you also have to factor in ongoing maintenance fees and the cost to actually go on the vacation and use the resort.
I have noticed that I am paying rather cheap on the loan we have. They tried to get us for something over 10k I was like heck no lol. The MF is what is kicking our butt. It’s hard to enjoy something when I have to pay the MF before even being able to go up and then the vacation funds and the resort funds. Just don’t have it. The loan payments are easy but that MF nope I would rather not.