• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Orange Lake timeshare - need to get out (Newbie here)

CMC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Holiday Inn
Please help me in finding direction to get out of my Orange Lake timeshare - for which I still owe nearly 20-thousand dollars. As many others, I made the purchase foolishly, thinking I could accelerate payments, then lounge on the beach worry-free. However, as bad luck would have it, I lost my job about a year after the purchase. Now, I still have monthly withdrawals occurring and I'm looking for a way to just get out of this TS payment hell. Help?!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there is NO easy way out. They won't take it back. You can't sell a TS with money owed on it. You can lighten the load some by making a reservation for a peak week and renting it, but you won't get enough to cover both the loan AND and annual maintenance.

It would not do your credit any good to simply stop paying, but without a job, that may be your only choice. Eventually they will foreclose and take it back, and eventually, your credit will repair after you get back to work and show a good repayment history. We really don't think of a timeshare default as being too damaging to your credit, but don't know about individual cases.

DO NOT sign up for any of those 'get out of your timeshare' upfront fee outfits. They will just take your money, then have no incentive to negotiate on your behalf. You will be out what you pay them and still have the timeshare. There are NO magic words to make a valid contract disappear, and these contracts are designed to be bulletproof. Sorry for the news, but that's about it.

Best Wishes! In the best of all worlds, you'll get back to being gainfully employed, and your original plan of paying it off and enjoying the fruits of your labor will resume! Good Luck!

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple more questions we have so we can maybe help you out of your jam. Do you owe any back maintenance fees? The loan you have on the property, is it with Orange Lake or is it with a third party lender? Also, is it possible for you to shut down your account from which monthly payments are being withdrawn (and then open up a new account)?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
As suggested above close the account from which monthly payments are being made and make no more. Every time you get a phone call trying to collect just tell them you are out of work, have no money and can't pay. At some point one of two things will happen. They will either foreclose or make you an offer. The key is stop making payments immediately and suffer the consequences...

George

Reactions: CMC

CMC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Holiday Inn
A couple more questions we have so we can maybe help you out of your jam. Do you owe any back maintenance fees? The loan you have on the property, is it with Orange Lake or is it with a third party lender? Also, is it possible for you to shut down your account from which monthly payments are being withdrawn (and then open up a new account)?

No back payments are owed. Everything is up to date. I simply do not want to expend the resources any longer. At the beginning it was feasible, but now that my employment status has changed, it is not. The loan is with Orange Lake. I had intended to pay it off early, but things rapidly changed. It is possible to shut down accounts I hadn't realized this could be an option.

CMC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Holiday Inn
Unfortunately, there is NO easy way out. They won't take it back. You can't sell a TS with money owed on it. You can lighten the load some by making a reservation for a peak week and renting it, but you won't get enough to cover both the loan AND and annual maintenance.

It would not do your credit any good to simply stop paying, but without a job, that may be your only choice. Eventually they will foreclose and take it back, and eventually, your credit will repair after you get back to work and show a good repayment history. We really don't think of a timeshare default as being too damaging to your credit, but don't know about individual cases.

DO NOT sign up for any of those 'get out of your timeshare' upfront fee outfits. They will just take your money, then have no incentive to negotiate on your behalf. You will be out what you pay them and still have the timeshare. There are NO magic words to make a valid contract disappear, and these contracts are designed to be bulletproof. Sorry for the news, but that's about it.

Best Wishes! In the best of all worlds, you'll get back to being gainfully employed, and your original plan of paying it off and enjoying the fruits of your labor will resume! Good Luck!

Jim
Thanks Jim!

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Good Luck!
I agree the best thing to do is stop paying. Talk to the finance department. I’m sure you are not the first person to have this situation. They could simply take back the week and sell it to someone else.
Let us know what happens.
Silentg

CMC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Holiday Inn

Jim
Hi Jim,

My credit is in good shape. But I'm wondering if you know what sort of hit I may take. I'm certainly going to stop paying, but I'm wondering if there is a so-called watermark in terms of the effect this will have. I appreciate everyone's response to this. I truly didn't know where to turn.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There really is no way of knowing. One sure thing- they will NEVER take a deed back as long as you are making payments. It's possible that after some months in arrears, they might. But honestly it's just a guess.

Good Luck!

Jim