• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ongoing Sales Incentive - Enrolling Post-6/20/10 Weeks [MERGED]

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just trying to make sense of all of this as I'm sure we will have this discussion in July when at MGO. We own two resale weeks, Gold MGO and Plat MGC. Ignoring the financial issues, what benefits do you get to enroll weeks?

The ability to elect for points.
Free* Interval membership and free marriott to marriott trades.

*Free to the extent that your annual club dues covers the cost of these items.

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Electing points means what exactly? (a) I can use them for less than a week, and (b) I can book directly on MVC website for non-home resorts vs trading in Interval? Can you use the points at non MVC Marriotts?

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
My contact has told me this requirement is routinely waived. This was the very situation we were discussing.
Confirming for us it was waived in both 2021 and 2022 where we had pending purchases and needed to delay closing until all resale weeks were in the account.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Electing points means what exactly? (a) I can use them for less than a week, and (b) I can book directly on MVC website for non-home resorts vs trading in Interval? Can you use the points at non MVC Marriotts?

Yes, you use the points to book at other MVCs directly. No need to trade via Interval and also not tied to a full week. Can book less than a week or more than a week or whatever you need. Some resorts do impose minimum stays but still more flexible in general. You can elect points and then trade points via Interval into non-MVC locations but in all likelyhood its not a great way to do it. Just trading your week directly is typically more cost effective unless you are booing a low demand off season week as the number of points required are tied to unit size and TDI.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Just trying to make sense of all of this as I'm sure we will have this discussion in July when at MGO. We own two resale weeks, Gold MGO and Plat MGC. Ignoring the financial issues, what benefits do you get to enroll weeks?
Mainly the flexibility to elect your weeks for Abound ClubPoints which allows you to travel to other MVC resorts without using Interval International and for stays that can be shorter or longer than seven nights. Your enrolled points will also count towards owner levels like Select, Executive, Presidential, etc which provide more flexibility in booking as you get into the higher tiers.

While we still tend to use our two enrolled Hawaii weeks at our home resorts within the legacy weeks booking system, their points values still count toward our owner level and we elect our HHI week for Abound ClubPoints and use our owned Trust ClubPoints to go places without dealing with the frustration and uncertainty inherent in II trading. We also have the peace of mind knowing that if we ever can’t use our weeks in Hawaii for some reason, we have the Abound election option to still be able to get value from what we own.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My contact has told me this requirement is routinely waived. This was the very situation we were discussing.
They wouldn’t waive the cutoff date in 2019 in the HHI sales office. We owned our MOC week and didn’t want to just do the one week when we already had Waiohai in escrow. They said Waiohai was not eligible since it was not in our account by the cut off date. We explicitly said we would buy the points to enroll both, but they said only Maui was eligible for the 2019 promo. So, we had to wait until 2020.

wjarcher

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKOVRN, MKO, WLR, SVV, SDO
I would say YMMV. I purchased 2 Aruba weeks to enroll my resale weeks (one in 2021 or the other in 2022). In 2021, they waited for me to get all of my resale transfers to complete (the whole process took until September 2021 to complete). In 2022 though, they seem to be more strict. The sales person asked for contract agreements to show that the sale started before April.

NorcalDisFan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not in a hurry. 2024 will be okay for me hoping the deal keeps running every year. we don’t have any weeks yet. :)
My major goal is to stay at Ritz Tahoe in every March for three nights as a family tradition. To book in 13 months earlier I’m targeting the executive level. We stayed at Northstar Lodge two weeks ago, but after visiting the Ritz we were spoiled.
I was looking for weeks with high points but low Mf. I spot one week that is week 51 in Timber Lodge with $26000 on redweek. Not sure if the price is reasonable. Rofr has not many data. Still thinking :unsure:

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They wouldn’t waive the cutoff date in 2019 in the HHI sales office. We owned our MOC week and didn’t want to just do the one week when we already had Waiohai in escrow. They said Waiohai was not eligible since it was not in our account by the cut off date. We explicitly said we would buy the points to enroll both, but they said only Maui was eligible for the 2019 promo. So, we had to wait until 2020.
They have to ask for permission from corporate. It was still no problem in 2022 and they could delay closing up to 150 days

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Seems kind of odd to have a date if they will just routinely waive it. Why bother with the date at all?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott grand vista
Ko olina
Canyon villas
The offer is back. We got an email from our sales rep as we took my aunts week over. We are already chairman and took the week to use as a week and don’t need the pts so we declined but if anyone was waiting I think they can do it now

Mark976

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased my Harbor Lake unit in 2011 and was under the impression that I could not enroll it in points system. I did see some post about it being possible as part of a sales incentive.
Could someone explain to me what would be the cheapest possible way to enroll my week? I would be willing to spend a few thousand dollars on points or whatever it would take, but would not want to commit to spending tens of thousands.

Any hope for this?

[Moderator Note: Threads merged.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Based on past few years offerings to do so, you would have to purchase 3,000 points at retail pricing to enroll 1 post June 2010 week.

Mark976

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on past few years offerings to do so, you would have to purchase 3,000 points at retail pricing to enroll 1 post June 2010 week.
Do you have an estimate for what 3,000 points costs retail?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Do you have an estimate for what 3,000 points costs retail?
Last rack rate I have seen posted was $16.40 per point, let’s say 15% discount for 3,000 points would put you in the ballpark of $13.94 x 3000 = around $42K.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I purchased my Harbor Lake unit in 2011 and was under the impression that I could not enroll it in points system. I did see some post about it being possible as part of a sales incentive.
Could someone explain to me what would be the cheapest possible way to enroll my week? I would be willing to spend a few thousand dollars on points or whatever it would take, but would not want to commit to spending tens of thousands.

Any hope for this?
Would run you over $27k to enroll one week. If you were to enroll 7 weeks, it would bring the cost per week down to about $9k each.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
So the answer is no way to do it for free or cheap.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus you are saddled with the MF on the 3000 pts at current rate of about $0.70/pt (and rising) = $2100/yr

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Any hope for this?
Assuming yo bought resale, no hope for a reasonable amount for this situation IMO. I've seen some indications of being able to do so for less than 3000 points but even then the reports were 2000 and 2500 points and appeared to be one off specials. You could also enroll with a qualifying purchase, maybe Spain, Aruba or St. Kitt's. But you're still looking at $30K or more though you'd have the points or week plus the added fees. I think paying for an II account, lock off fee and exchange fees will be much cheaper than enrolling. However, if you're set on getting access to points and want to increase your portfolio, there are potential ways to accomplish those goals with some options being better than others depending on specifics.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Just posting links to a couple posts stating what the 2023 enrollment deal is for post June 2010 weeks... for tracking purposes all in this thread.

For using Aruba or St Kitts weeks as an enrollment vehicle

For using Abound Points as an enrollment vehicle

Last edited:

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
At MGO today and received the following offer (roughly, I didn't snap a picture):

Buy 3000 points to enroll one week; 4000 for two, etc with a max of 6 weeks allowed to enroll.

Cost for 3000 was like $13.80 / pt = $41,000 ish
Cost for 4000 was like $12.80 / pt = $51,000 ish
Plus received credit for the cost of our encore week of $1799
Plus 12,000 one time use points to be used in two years at 4000 pts. I think it was 6000 if you bought 3000 pts

But ... I was told that our MGC week was not eligible for enrollment; which wiped out any interest. The MGO Gold Ocean side they said was worth 3200 or 3400 range for enrollment. I mentioned Spain / St Kitts / Aruba and they gave me all these reasons not to buy those (its foreign land, it's right to use and not perpetual, etc. etc.) and said they can't sell those anyway so I'd have to call those resorts directly.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At MGO today and received the following offer (roughly, I didn't snap a picture):

Buy 3000 points to enroll one week; 4000 for two, etc with a max of 6 weeks allowed to enroll.

Cost for 3000 was like $13.80 / pt = $41,000 ish
Cost for 4000 was like $12.80 / pt = $51,000 ish
Plus received credit for the cost of our encore week of $1799
Plus 12,000 one time use points to be used in two years at 4000 pts. I think it was 6000 if you bought 3000 pts

But ... I was told that our MGC week was not eligible for enrollment; which wiped out any interest. The MGO Gold Ocean side they said was worth 3200 or 3400 range for enrollment. I mentioned Spain / St Kitts / Aruba and they gave me all these reasons not to buy those (its foreign land, it's right to use and not perpetual, etc. etc.) and said they can't sell those anyway so I'd have to call those resorts directly.
Was the MGC week not eligible due to when it was purchased? Technically the weeks has to be in the account at the onset of that years amnesty program. It has been common to see exceptions to this rule. If you truly are interested in enrollment, it's likely that a week (Aruba, St. Kitts, Spain) would be a better choice and you'd likely get more personal service and a higher likelihood of receiving an exception in some cases.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, weeks in the Caribbean or Spain are probably the best option. Something I learned in Aruba is if you have any Marriott.com reservation (points or cash) they will give you an additional discount. We had a single night reservation at an Element in Miami before we flew to Aruba. They would have given us something like $1,000-$1,500 (can't remember exact number) discount off the purchase. They just needed a confirmation number. It didn't matter that it was a free stay on Bonvoy points. Never go into a presentation with the intent to purchase without either an active Encore or Marriott.com booking. Just another way to squeeze a few cents out of the final per point cost. They will even do the same if you are on a reservation you rented from an owner.

Last edited:

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Was the MGC week not eligible due to when it was purchased? Technically the weeks has to be in the account at the onset of that years amnesty program. It has been common to see exceptions to this rule. If you truly are interested in enrollment, it's likely that a week (Aruba, St. Kitts, Spain) would be a better choice and you'd likely get more personal service and a higher likelihood of receiving an exception in some cases.
They didn’t explain why it was available. We purchased and closed on that week a year ago, so it should be eligible.

I’d like to enroll our weeks and get another week as I think that would give me the weeks and flexibility I need to manage through high school and college trips. I’m not sure now is the best time as we have to pay for college, but I’m looking at options. You have a good contact for Aruba or Spain right? If so do you mind DM me with the contact?

RookWDW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - Polynesian
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Grande Chateau
Yes, weeks in the Caribbean or Spain are probably the best option. Something I learned in Aruba is if you have any Marriott.com reservation (points or cash) they will give you an additional discount. We had a single night reservation at an Element in Miami before we flew to Aruba. They would have given us something like $1,000-$1,500 (can't remember exact number) discount off the purchase. They just needed a confirmation number. It didn't matter that it was a free stay on Bonvoy points. Never go into a presentation with the intent to purchase without either an active Encore or Marriott.com booking. Just another way to squeeze a few cents out of the final per point cost. They will even do the same if you are on a reservation you rented from an owner.
They offered us a $1,500 credit for the two nights we stayed at a Marriott property in Nashville right before MGO, so consistent with what you saw.

We asked for an additional encore trip to MKO starring Dec 29th but it was sold out, even though moments earlier they showed me how I could rent those night direct from Marriott and this it’s easy to book using points anytime.