• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OK - now I need SVO advice... from WKV

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hey - who stole my thread! :D

okay - here are our results (your mileage may vary...)

We did requal our WKORV OF with a SVO purchase of WPORV (odd). The odd year usage almost broke the deal since they were only selling EY and EOY (even) at this point - I got confirmation of this (among other considerations like the EY and EOY requal) before proceeding with the hours of paper work.

One piece of advice (beyond reading TUG and asking tuggers advice - special thanks to duke and negma) - is to know exactly what you want and why, and how to go about it. Having the necessary info (e.g. required documents) and processes puts you in control and not them. We did get all the documents mentioned in duke's sticky signed - along with making sure that the 'SVN Exception Sheet' was in place and the 'Terms Sheet' contained the text of the Exception Sheet.

I made it clear that we had nothing to lose since we already had 3 great resorts (resale or not), and they had only to gain here (selling us a TS, and great vacations within the SVO/SVN network). We do agree (for us) that the SVO system works great - and made this clear - why else would we be there?

It turns out that an EY resale can be requaled with an EOY SVO purchase, BUT it is up to SVO sales based on the terms. In our case (after much negotiation) it was probably because we were buying WPORV vs. a lower cost resort (perhaps?). We could only get EOY odd, and only 3* Elite was available with the 148.1K SOs for WKORV and the 1/2 SOs for the EOY WPORV.

We could have worked out a deal to requal all of our resales in buying VV-Amelia (or others), but that really doesn't work for us (if only we were closer to retirement) - they offered a fair deal for us in doing this (and becoming 5*/Platinum for life).

We wanted WPORV (odd) eventhough it is a V resort and we would also have a LO (although I wish they only sold the large side - they don't because as they said - 'they don't have to'). We do feel that eventhough it is a V resort - because of it's uniqueness and location - it will hold it's value. They are plenty of people who could go to Kauai/Princeville every year (or EOY). We plan to rent the small side to help cover the extremely high MFs (like our WKORV OF studio).

Sorry for the ramble and bad grammar/spelling... (and justification).

We also used the Explorer Package - advice to others planning on buying (and/or requalifying) a SVO TS - use this. This essentially gives you an additional 80K SPs (for $99). If you do decide to buy SVO - go thru the TS spile - establish the terms (clearly) - tell them you will think about it - and when you talk to the 'exit' interview person - they will offer the ExpPkg. The ExpPkg is not likely worth it if it is not executed (50K SPs, and 4 nites stay at WKV for ~$2000 or an additional 30K SPs), but if you do intend to buy - why not? $99 for 80K SPs is good.

Where was I...?

So we requaled our EY WKORV resale with an EOY WPORV (agreat resort in a great location) at 50% of the EY cost, and received 100K SPs as an incentive plus the 80K SPs for the ExpPkg - after all was said and done (put purchase on our SPG card, and 6500 SPs for the 'gift' for the Owners Update) - we ended up with an additional 200K+ SPs (we now have 250K SPs).

This deal gives us 3* Elite Status (148.1K + 74.05K = 222.15K SOs) - whose benefits really are not as good as 4* and far from 5*, but importantly brings our resale WKORV OF into the SVO fold. This Gold/3* status may prevent other WKORV Elites from grabbing the higher floors from us - but ,of course, maybe not. It also gives us headway into establishing serious SPs. And a stepping stone to the higher Elite levels if we ever do decide to go that way.

As I said - we have 9 weeks vacation in 2009 and the SPs will get us to Europe in 2009 for 4 weeks in great hotels inexpensively - Robin has never been to Europe :eek: - along with 3-4 weeks in Hawaii (our WKORV and WPORV) - we are set for the next 2-3 years.

I put the additional cost of doing this (not including the loss investment gain - that goes with all TSs) at around $10K - why? I believe that the EOY will likely be worth $15K on the resale market (time will tell...) therefore, it costs us $10K to get ~200K SPs, 3* Elite, and our WKORV requaled.

Is it worth it? Maybe not - but if you look at we were before we rescinded our WKORV-N OF for $74K :doh: - we just got an EOY WPORV for the same price as our WKORV OF and WPORV combined. Of course - the very high MFs hurt - but with a little effort to rent the small sides we can offset the MFs.

Yes, we lose the potential investment gains for buying TSs in the first place but we accept that - besides it all about great planned/forced vacations - right? :whoopie:

Thanks SVO Tuggers - you are great. :clap:

And no more TSs for us... for a while. We promise - unless of course...

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
DavidnRobin said:
And no more TSs for us... for a while. We promise - unless of course...

We'll see how long that lasts :D

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Congratulations and thanks for all of the requal information!

Once you are 3*, you'll want to be 4*, and when you reach 4*, you'll want to be 5* :D .

It truly is an addiction! I look forward to your next SVO purchase...:rofl:

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
You ask if it is worth,it sounds like you are happy- so it's worth it!

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
David:

You did great! I am happy for you and glad to see you got a wonderful deal. As well, I think your Princeville purchase will end up being your best.

You did break 2 1/2 SVO policies:

1 - The price of an EOY is 1/2 of the EY for SVN members only.

2 - An Explorer package may only be applies against a subsequest visit which must be later than some number of days (I think 90).

2 1/2 - An EOY can only requal and EOY. (This was hazy anyway)

Therefore, I ask that you continue to report on the status of your purchase as it is approved and enrolled at SVO/SVN. There is still considerable "Corporate" review so lets see what happens.

I am sure that if you got all this in writing then they will approve your transaction.....but I am not so sure what will be the future of the local SalesManager.

NEXT.....You will definately need to be 5* ELITE before the 2000 SPG Platinums are gone. Keep in touch with SVO to see how much time you have. My guess is you will have alot. But, I have to say 5* ELITE is the way to go!

CONGRAT! You got a wonderful deal and did a good job.

DUKE

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David:

You did great! I am happy for you and glad to see you got a wonderful deal. As well, I think your Princeville purchase will end up being your best.

You did break 2 1/2 SVO policies:
1 - The price of an EOY is 1/2 of the EY for SVN members only.
2 - An Explorer package may only be applies against a subsequest visit which must be later than some number of days (I think 90).
2 1/2 - An EOY can only requal and EOY. (This was hazy anyway)

Therefore, I ask that you continue to report on the status of your purchase as it is approved and enrolled at SVO/SVN. There is still considerable "Corporate" review so lets see what happens.

I am sure that if you got all this in writing then they will approve your transaction.....

NEXT.....You will definately need to be 5* ELITE before the 2000 SPG Platinums are gone. Keep in touch with SVO to see how much time you have. My guess is you will have alot. But, I have to say 5* ELITE is the way to go!

DUKE
Hey! - No raining on my parade! :D

I discussed all of these issues with them (actually challenged them on these and more) - I even discussed with them the purchase contract paragraph that Negma listed:

“You understand and acknowledge that no salesperson, broker or other person has any authority whatsoever to make any representation, agreement or warranty, express or implied, for Us, except those expressly set forth in writing in this Agreement and the documents named in Paragraph 4."

I did get this in writing - and had signed all the docs you listed for our WKORV unit requal - with our names on the docs. Along, with the Terms/Conditions and the SVN Exception letter (not mentioned in the Requal Sticky). I even talked with them about getting screwed by SVO Corp to your points above - along with people who did the ExpPkg and ended-up pissed at SVO when they hadn't held up their end of the deal.

Not sure what they could do - give our money back? Fine with us - nothing ventured - nothing gained. We are very happy with our 3 original TSs. Ask us to pay them back the $1995 for the ExpPkg that we already put towards our purchase? (good luck with that...)

But, of course, if anything happens - I will report. (that would really suck for us - and them - considering I have copies of all signed docs and agreements)

One thing I didn't mention - the sales people at WKV were extremely professional - Robin was surprised that they always had an even temperment considering I kept challenging them on every turn (and I mean every turn). They had clearly done a resale requal before - they said that they had gone thru it before - and it showed.

As to the 5* - it would have to be more than 6 years from now - unless we can retire sooner. I did discuss this - as to things they could say about the future 5* Elite status was... hurry. :)

btw, if anyone is interested in doing an ExpPkg, and/or a resale requal, by going thru WKV Sales - let me know and I would be glad to reference our SVO sales people - via a PM.

Last edited:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the 5* - it would have to be more than 6 years from now - unless we can retire sooner. I did discuss this - as to things they could say about the future 5* Elite status was... hurry. :)

David:

I am in same position as you.

Not enough vacation to use all the time purchased but I wanted to get to 5* ELITE and SPG Platinum before it is gone.

I think you'll be there soon.

It's great to have a LIFETIME benefit in our back pocket.

All the best and congrats on a super deal,
DUKE