• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OK - now I need SVO advice... from WKV

Kildahl

TUG Member
Reaction score
David: Do you recall the name of your presenter and closer?
Was the 23.4K for a 1bdrm EOY?

stevens397

TUG Member
Reaction score
David and Robin-

I love your posts, but I have some serious advice. COME HOME!!!!!:D

I know how you think because I am similarly afflicted. Each time I go away, I want to see myself with another timeshare. At our last visit to the Manhattan Club, we almost bought a fractional at the Phillips Club!

Like you, I bought weeks I could not use yet and I'm glad I did. I got in at Kierland very early and got a slew of Starpoints. Somehow the weeks are used - given to the kids or rented. When my wife retires from teachingin three years, it will all work out fine.

In addition, having lost and now trying to regain SPG Platinum status, I drool over the thought of having it for life. But the deal will not change substantively tomorrow - you don't have to make your plans within the next few hours (wow, I sound like my wife talking to me!).

Take a deep breath. If you do this, are unhappy and decide to sell one unit, you will lose your Platinum status. It's worth some thought.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
i purchased the explorer package at wkv but bought my VV through the orlando office. they had to use the corporate explorer office to make the transfer. i was told that you should keep your explorer package quiet while you are making your deal at ANY sales presemtation. then you whip it out and they have to give you the additional sp's. so you will be able get your purchase at the hawaii sales presentation. so it does not matter where you get the explorer package.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
i purchased the explorer package at wkv but bought my VV through the orlando office. they had to use the corporate explorer office to make the transfer. i was told that you should keep your explorer package quiet while you are making your deal at ANY sales presemtation. then you whip it out and they have to give you the additional sp's. so you will be able get your purchase at the hawaii sales presentation. so it does not matter where you get the explorer package.

What properties can you currently visit on an explorer package? Is it just the properties with current inventory or is it every property?

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
btw, Robin says 'go for it' - I love her so much... really, I am the luckiest guy in the world.

You really are lucky :) !

If you want to own in Kauai, go for it! Treat yourself, why not?!

Now go and enjoy the rest of your vacation :whoopie: !

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You really are lucky :) !

If you want to own in Kauai, go for it! Treat yourself, why not?!

Now go and enjoy the rest of your vacation :whoopie: !
I am indeed lucky - although she does take an hour to get ready - and therefore I have tons of time on my hands for TUG posts. :p

It is pouring rain right now 9AM -

After sleeping on it (and an incoming SVO phone call in the form of a dangling carrot) - the best deal I could get (for us...if done at all) is to use the Exp Pkg (80K SPs for $99) as a down for an EOY WPORV (at 50% EY, and 100K SPs) and have them bring all of our weeks in (148.1K WKORV, 81K WKV, 67.1K WSJ) for 296.2K SOs plus 1/2 of the WPORV EOY (74.05K) for a total of 370.25K SOs and 4* Elite status.

Not going to happen - No Way!? Right? but... :ignore:

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that they offered to requalify all 3 of your resales for the 1 EOY purchase?

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have tons of time on my hands for TUG posts.

After sleeping on it (and an incoming SVO phone call in the form of a dangling carrot) - the best deal I could get (for us...if done at all) is to use the Exp Pkg (80K SPs for $99) as a down for an EOY WPORV (at 50% EY, and 100K SPs) and have them bring all of our weeks in (148.1K WKORV, 81K WKV, 67.1K WSJ) for 296.2K SOs plus 1/2 of the WPORV EOY (74.05K) for a total of 370.25K SOs and 4* Elite status.

David:

It does not matter what you are dreaming AND it does not matter what the saleperson or salesmanager discusses with you.....Even IF you were to make some outer space deal ..... AND Even IF you were to get it in writing.... The contracts for purchase of Developer weeks are not signed by SVO when you buy,,,,, they are reviewed by SVO corporate and mailed back to you months later.

This is not policy and they do not make deals that are not policy.

I have seen some here become very disappointed because they get ideas from what they read here at TUG and then the salespersons humor them with a deal. This then gives SVO a bad reputation.

Read what some of us have been able to get done and you will be happier making a realistic deal.

You would be much better off (and so would the TUG board) if you followed the SVO policies that have resulted in actual requalifications of resales.

Last edited:

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

I have no words of wisdom for for you.

I would just advise you to take the golf cart shuttle to the Hotel pool and float around around in the lazy river(happy hour 4-6PM and bar service in the lazy river too).

You have 3 amazing SVO resorts & just enjoy them for now and don't get caught up in this upgrade process for now.

We did buy a Explorer pkg in WKV(was $1495 then for 4 nights/50,000 SP) in 2005, but we did not buy in Kierland eventually. WKV is one of our favorite resorts, but we did not buy in Kierland last year because it is such an easy trade in summer.

sara

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David:

It does not matter what you are dreaming AND it does not matter what the saleperson or salesmanager discusses with you.....Even IF you were to make some outer space deal ..... AND Even IF you were to get it in writing.... The contracts for purchase of Developer weeks are not signed by SVO when you buy,,,,, they are reviewed by SVO corporate and mailed back to you months later.

This is not policy and they do not make deals that are not policy.

I have seen some here become very disappointed because they get ideas from what they read here at TUG and then the salespersons humor them with a deal. This then gives SVO a bad reputation.

Read what some of us have been able to get done and you will be happier making a realistic deal.

You would be much better off (and so would the TUG board) if you followed the SVO policies that have resulted in actual requalifications of resales.

Duke -
Yes - I am aware. Very aware. This is why it probably won't happen.

Didn't they requal an EY for you with an EOY purchase? (Isn't this what you posted a while back) Wouldn't this be against SVO policy?

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Duke -
Yes - I am aware. Very aware. This is why it probably won't happen.

Didn't they requal an EY for you with an EOY purchase? Isn't this what you posted a while back? Isn't this against SVO policy?

Is the concern that they will take my Explorer fee - and then have SVO back out of the deal? Leaving me with only the ability to use the ExpPkg, or just keep the SPs (and/or WKV stay)? I mean that can't make me pay more (say they insist on 65% instead of 50% for EOY at WPORV) or no requal...?

If I don't take the ExpPkg - what do I have to lose if SVO Corp says no?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Anybody?
If we don't sign-up for the Explorer Package - and SVO Corp nixes a deal - what have we really lost?

Can they insist I buy the WPORV anyway - and not requal the resale(s) according to a written contract? Is that what is being inferred here?

Would/Could they really do that?
Am I missing something?

Other than the loss of a deal that they put forth in the first place. I know RoverJohn (and others) had issues, but I didn't really understand what the real loss was - other than ending up with a Explorer Package that may go unused, and the disappointment of the deal gone bad (not really an issue for us).

If we do pick-up the Explorer package - and SVO Corp refuses - sounds as if a downside is that we have an ExpPkg that we may get stuck with. Then we either use it and buy in 18-24 months from now - or take the SPs and/or WKV stay (not something I find of that much value actually). If I did take the ExpPkg, I will likely use it.

If I have them write into the contract that we get our ExpPkg deposit back if SVO doesn't honor the deal - other than the disappointment of a deal gone bad - what else can we lose?

Anybody?

Last edited:

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I can't really see any loss if you want to go for it.

Without even buying the Explorer Package, the deal is so amazing, I would think that SVO corporate would have to be asleep to pass it through. I can't see what they can gain by bringing all your intervals in, surely not more business from you since you will probably own enough weeks to last you awhile.

Those sales executives REALLY want to sell you an EOY!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I can't really see any loss if you want to go for it.

Without even buying the Explorer Package, the deal is so amazing, I would think that SVO corporate would have to be asleep to pass it through. I can't see what they can gain by bringing all your intervals in, surely not more business from you since you will probably own enough weeks to last you awhile.

Those sales executives REALLY want to sell you an EOY!!

Could they force me to buy WPORV if it goes beyond the recission period - and say 'sorry, we won't requal as promised'?

That would be hard to believe.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How is the Explorer Package worth 80K Starpoints for $99? Is that a special deal for you? :confused:

I know nothing about requalification except from what I've learned here. Wouldn't something have to be decided before the recission period about requals, or does that always happen way after the fact? Didn't a TUGer recently post about finding out that the SDO would only be requalified at 81K SOs and he wanted 148,100 SOs, so they backed out of the deal?! You'd think you would know in time....

But I think only experienced TUGers who have actually had success requalifying can know the truth.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
How is the Explorer Package worth 80K Starpoints for $99? Is that a special deal for you? :confused:

I know nothing about requalification except from what I've learned here. Wouldn't something have to be decided before the recission period about requals, or does that always happen way after the fact? Didn't a TUGer recently post about finding out that the SDO would only be requalified at 81K SOs and he wanted 148,100 SOs, so they backed out of the deal?! You'd think you would know in time....

But I think only experienced TUGers who have actually had success requalifying can know the truth.

It cost a $99 fee - the rest of the money ($1995) goes towards the TS payment. So - if one follows thru with the ExpPkg - it costs $99 for the 50K SPs (and 4-nite WKV stay) or 80K SPs w/o the stay.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

Denise:

You are correct.

The problem here is that there is no deal, there is no offer, there is nothing written, and there is no contract. In fact, the lack of experience of how a developer purchase is done is obvious.

SVO does not make changes or write deal points into a contract. (period)

The only documents you get are the contract for the developer purchase you signed (without any deal adjustments) (SVN CONTRACTS DO NOT HAVE ANY SPACE TO WRITE IN CHANGES)

A requal is done using the four documents relating to the original resale unit.

AGAIN, there is no way anything is written or signed by SVO other than 1) contract to purchase the developer unit and 2) four requal docs relating to the resale.

You can discuss all you want with the salesperson about a deal but there is no document or contract that can be modified.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Denise:

You are correct.

The problem here is that there is no deal, there is no offer, there is nothing written, and there is no contract. In fact, the lack of experience of how a developer purchase is done is obvious.

SVO does not make changes or write deal points into a contract. (period)

The only documents you get are the contract for the developer purchase you signed (without any deal adjustments) (SVN CONTRACTS DO NOT HAVE ANY SPACE TO WRITE IN CHANGES)

A requal is done using the four documents relating to the original resale unit.

AGAIN, there is no way anything is written or signed by SVO other than 1) contract to purchase the developer unit and 2) four requal docs relating to the resale.

You can discuss all you want with the salesperson about a deal but there is no document or contract that can be modified.

Duke - I have read the sticky as to be prepared - all of my resales have passed SVO title and are on the books. If anything were to occur - I will not sign anything until these docs are in possession and not signed until the contract is in place.

I have actually purchased WKORV-N and gone thru SVO purchase docs that you mention before - of course I rescinded upon finding TUG.

Yes - there is no deal in writing - it's all in negiotiation - wasn't this a point of an old post of yours (yes) - and when push comes to shove - I don't think they will follow-thru.

The first deal put foward was they would requal our WKORV EY with a WPORV EOY (as stated) - as I have DIRECTLY asked already - you said you requaled an EY with an EOY - which as stated in your thread - is against policy - yet you seemed to have done it - is this correct or not?

I am far from stupid or naive about this - my points are - what do I have to lose? Can/would they back-stab me and force me to buy WPORV by delaying beyond the 7-day recession period for the SVO WPORV purchase?

You mentioned an addendum to the contract in your thread - any contract can be amended/appended - happens all the time. They may not do it - BUT they claim they can and will.

So - what is the downside? I am asking and have asked - along with the EY vs. EOY question - I asked this months ago - I have also discussed this with SVO direct sales - both for the VV and future resorts, but we would prefer WPORV (for the reasons already stated)

So please...

Last edited:

skim118

TUG Member
Reaction score
The 4-star oral offer sounds like an incredible deal and you will be only 181,000 Staroptions away from being Starwood Platinum for life.

I do not see too much downside other than the $2000 explorer package as purchasing 80,000 Starpoints (if everything falls apart).

But personally I will not sign the WPORV sales contract unless I am simultaneously signing a pre-filled SVN Elite level 4 form at the same time though.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The 4-star oral offer sounds like an incredible deal and you will be only 181,000 Staroptions away from being Starwood Platinum for life.

I do not see too much downside other than the $2000 explorer package as purchasing 80,000 Starpoints (if everything falls apart).

But personally I will not sign the WPORV sales contract unless I am simultaneously signing a pre-filled SVN Elite level 4 form at the same time though.

I agree and will (if I go thru with it - 90% not) - thanks. I will be prepared fully - with my BS meter on high. Actually - I will ask in writing that I get my ExpPkg deposit back - and if they won't do it - no loss for me. We still have 3 great resorts - for great prices.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first deal put foward was they would requal our WKORV EY with a WPORV EOY (as stated) - as I have DIRECTLY asked already - you said you requaled an EY with an EOY - which as stated in your thread - is against policy - yet you seemed to have done it - is this correct or not?

Can/would they back-stab me and force me to buy WPORV by delaying beyond the 7-day recession period for the SVO WPORV purchase?

So - what is the downside? I am asking and have asked - along with the EY vs. EOY question - I asked this months ago - I have also discussed this with SVO direct sales - both for the VV and future resorts, but we would prefer WPORV (for the reasons already stated)

David;

Yes, you are correct. I did an EY with and EOY but about 4 weeks later my salesperson called and said they sent around a memo that clarified the policy.

It's not that SVO would backstab you BUT they would hold you to the contract and since there are different contracts (1-developer purchase, 2- Four docs for Requal, and 3-Explorer) they do NOT relate to each other. See what I mean? Each is a seperate deal. They are not tied together by one contract so SVO will hold you to each agreement individually. This is not a back stab but it is a bunch of NONRELATED contracts.....as they may see it.

I understand you wanting Princeville. I did same. I like that it will become a ST REGIS and is very limited in the number of units that can be built.

ALL the best,
DUKE

Last edited:

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score

David:

We may be confused here.....Did SVO make you this offer or is this what you are asking for?

DUKE

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David:

We may be confused here.....Did SVO make you this offer or is this what you are asking for?

DUKE

Sent PM.
They are offering - I am negiotiating.

Stupid question - if I get EOY - how do the SOs get calculated towards Elite?
Half the SOs - meaning 148.1K SOs divided by 2 = 74.05K SOs toward Elite.

I assume that this is correct, but wanted to check.

Last edited: