• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OK - now I need SVO advice... from WKV

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Question - in Tuggers opinion - will WPORV EY be worth at least $30K on the resale market (say in 2011)?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
If WKORV is any indication, I'd say WPORV should be worth at least that much when resales start.

TheUnitrep

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question - in Tuggers opinion - will WPORV EY be worth at least $30K on the resale market (say in 2011)?

David --

Isn't WPORV slated to be a "Voluntary" resort within SVN?

If history is any indicator, the resale market has not been too kind (brutal would be a better description) to SVN "Voluntary" resorts.

Annual Ocean View units at WKORV (Mandatory) are already slipping below 30K on the resale market. If WPORV is indeed "voluntary," then I think finding a buyer at 30K would be unrealistic. However, I could be wrong.....

Jerry

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David --

Isn't WPORV slated to be a "Voluntary" resort within SVN?

If history is any indicator, the resale market has not been too kind (brutal would be a better description) to SVN "Voluntary" resorts.

Annual Ocean View units at WKORV (Mandatory) are already slipping below 30K on the resale market. If WPORV is indeed "voluntary," then I think finding a buyer at 30K would be a unrealistic. However, I could be wrong.....

Jerry

Hi Jerry - we have considered WPORV being a V resort that the value could be less. It could be wrong thinking. but WPORV may not suffer from this because of it's uniqueness of location and limitations of available units. But you are correct - perhaps it could be depressed more than a M resort. Thanks for the feedback.

formerhater

Reaction score
Hi Jerry - we have considered WPORV being a V resort that the value could be less. It could be wrong thinking. but WPORV may not suffer from this because of it's uniqueness of location and limitations of available units. But you are correct - perhaps it could be depressed more than a M resort. Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, it seems that only time will tell, but as you mention WPORV should be spared the North and North II phenomenon that has struck WKORV. Nothing like a little internal competition...That said, if it's a real concern for you (i.e. a deal breaker), I'd think twice since it's such an uncertainty.

EOY SOs are calculated as you stated. We own WPORV EY (148,100) and EOY Kierland (67,100) so in terms of elite status we have 181,650 annual SOs. Yes, I had to use the calculator to figure that out...

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my requal deal written into my developer purchase agreement

David;

It's not that SVO would backstab you BUT they would hold you to the contract and since there are different contracts (1-developer purchase, 2- Four docs for Requal, and 3-Explorer) they do NOT relate to each other. See what I mean? Each is a separate deal. They are not tied together by one contract so SVO will hold you to each agreement individually. This is not a back stab but it is a bunch of NONRELATED contracts.....as they may see it.
DUKE

Given the lack of uniformity in info I received from various SVN salesfolks on my requal attempt, when I finally requalified my SDO with a developer purchase, I was very concerned that I would still be obligated for my developer purchase even if SVO corporate elected to not honor my salesperson’s requal promises. After all, I wouldn’t have purchased my developer unit if SVO hadn’t promised to also requal my SDO.

The boiler-plate language in the developer purchase paperwork is even more onerous on this subject:

Sec. 5(d) Representations, Warranties and Covenants

“You understand and acknowledge that no salesperson, broker or other person has any authority whatsoever to make any representation, agreement or warranty, express or implied, for Us, except those expressly set forth in writing in this Agreement and the documents named in Paragraph 4.”

With language like this in the developer purchase, even if they would have concurrently given me the four requal documents to sign (which they didn’t), I still would have been worried. I bought my developer purchase on the express condition that SVO requalify my SDO property, and I wanted that condition expressly stated in my developer purchase agreement. That way, if SVO didn’t requalify my SDO (or did but at a different StarOption value than agreed), I would be relieved of my obligations under the developer purchase agreement and could just walk away from the deal.

Accordingly, I hand wrote in these terms in my developer purchase document. The exact details are set forth in post #36 of Duke's sticky.

SVO originally balked at my hand written modifications, and even sent me new purchase docs to sign, but (after the rescission period in my self-modified purchase documents had expired, but before the rescission period of my second non-modified documents had even started), they signed my revised agreement and I was good to go.

With SVO’s express clause that says SVN isn’t obligated to do anything outside of what is written in this purchase agreement, I would never, ever, ever, trust anything SVN salesfolks say unless it was expressly in writing IN THE ACTUAL DEVELOPER PURCHASE DOCUMENT.

I was able to add language to my developer purchase agreement that I felt was needed to close my combined requal/developer purchase deal. Maybe I just got lucky, but it’s what I needed to assure myself, and SVO eventually bought off on it – in writing.

Good Luck,
-nodge

Last edited:

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sdo Requal Value

AFTER READING ALL THE LATEST FROM WKV, I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION THAT I NEED ANSWERED.

IF SOMEONE PURCHASES A RESALE AT SDO AND IT IS A 2BR L/O IN PLAT SEASON WORTH 148,100 SO THEN STARWOOD REQUALIFIES IT AND GIVES IT 81,000 S/O AS ITS NEW VALUE,THEN WHEN THEY CALL STARWOOD TO GO TO THEIR HOME RESORT DO THEY HAVE ENOUGH STAROPTIONS TO STAY AT SDO IN A 2BR L/O DURING THE PLATINUM SEASON? IF THEY DON'T, SHOULDN'T STARWOOD RE-EVALUATE THE AMOUNT OF STAROPTIONS TO STAY AT SDO for all of us. I CAN'T BELIEVE KIERLAND AND SDO HAVE THE SAME S/O VALUES. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDO staroptions

AFTER READING ALL THE LATEST FROM WKV, I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION THAT I NEED ANSWERED.

IF SOMEONE PURCHASES A RESALE AT SDO AND IT IS A 2BR L/O IN PLAT SEASON WORTH 148,100 SO THEN STARWOOD REQUALIFIES IT AND GIVES IT 81,000 S/O AS ITS NEW VALUE,THEN WHEN THEY CALL STARWOOD TO GO TO THEIR HOME RESORT DO THEY HAVE ENOUGH STAROPTIONS TO STAY AT SDO IN A 2BR L/O DURING THE PLATINUM SEASON? IF THEY DON'T, SHOULDN'T STARWOOD RE-EVALUATE THE AMOUNT OF STAROPTIONS TO STAY AT SDO for all of us. I CAN'T BELIEVE KIERLAND AND SDO HAVE THE SAME S/O VALUES. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

It depends on who sold the original week. Most weeks are 1-52 float, and will only get 81,000 *options when requalified. Was the resale week you bought advertised as a float platinum week? A 1-52 float week will get you a 2br l/o in platinum season, but not the 148,100 *options to exchange into other SVN resorts.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hi Pointsjunkie,

If you track pre and post Starwood SDO original developer sales prices, it all makes sense.

Original pre-Starwood SDO's were sold as week 1-52 floaters. When Starwood took over, they sold the remaining units as silver, gold, and platinum seasons, making sure to jack up the prices on the platinum season sales.

The original pre-Starwood 1-52 floaters sold for about the same price that Starwood sold the gold units for. Accordingly, although it wasn't obligated to, it allowed pre-Starwood purchasers to join SVN, but only at the gold season StarOption level.

Pre-Starwood 1-52 floater unit owners remain free to book their units at SDO during any week, including platinum weeks at SDO. Their StarOptions only come into play if they elect to trade within SVN to another SVN resort.

As for the inequity of SDO "costing" the same as WKV, the folks that bought a true platinum season unit at SDO would be severely screwed if SVO elected to reduce the StarOptions needed for an SDO platinum week stay. Their available StarOptions would be reduced accordingly, and to date (at least) Starwood has never reduced the amount of StarOptions granted to a developer purchaser customer (although if it were willing to endure the bad publicity associated with doing so, it could if it wanted to).

Hope this helps.
-nodge

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
With SVO’s express clause that says SVN isn’t obligated to do anything outside of what is written in this purchase agreement, I would never, ever, ever, trust anything SVN salesfolks say unless it was expressly in writing IN THE ACTUAL DEVELOPER PURCHASE DOCUMENT.

I was able to add language to my developer purchase agreement that I felt was needed to close my combined requal/developer purchase deal. Maybe I just got lucky, but it’s what I needed to assure myself, and SVO eventually bought off on it – in writing.

Good Luck,
-nodge

This is a great post (thanks so much) - very intersting...
I had read the referenced post a few months ago - glad I re-read.

I love options.

off to see cubs/giants...

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. so if i purchased a resale floating week 1-52 at sdo I would be able to stay there anytime during the year including winter season,but if i wanted to go to another svn resort i would only have 81,000s/o's. will the svn come with the purchase or would it happen as a requal? i just want to make sure that sdo is the way i want to go to get a cheap starwood ts to add to our others so i can plan to get to 5*.

HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE WESTIN ARUBA SALES YET. ON THE SVN CHART IT SAYS THERE IS A 3BR, WHICH IS A 2BR PLUS A STUDIO BUT ON THE 1 BR LINE IT SAYS 1 BR AND NOT STUDIO.DID YOU GUYS CATCH THAT?
WHICH IS IT A 1BR OR STUDIO?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you - SVO Tuggers - you are the best - really - where else do people help one another so freely...? Robin and I thank you... The 4th R (RRR&R) has just launched...
Check out the resort listings on the left side under our TUG moniker

We are really in this together - peace.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
I hope you get many years of joy from your new purchase!

Glorian

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
oh the disease keeps spreading. Thank goodness for biotech and TS SVO addictions. Congrats!:clap:

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you - SVO Tuggers - you are the best - really - where else do people help one another so freely...? Robin and I thank you... The 4th R (RRR&R) has just launched...

You big tease...details, please.

arlene22

TUG Member
Reaction score
HAS ANYONE HEARD ABOUT THE WESTIN ARUBA SALES YET. ON THE SVN CHART IT SAYS THERE IS A 3BR, WHICH IS A 2BR PLUS A STUDIO BUT ON THE 1 BR LINE IT SAYS 1 BR AND NOT STUDIO.DID YOU GUYS CATCH THAT?
WHICH IS IT A 1BR OR STUDIO?

It's both. There is a studio and a 1 bedroom. Also a two bedroom, a two bedroom lockoff and a three bedroom lockoff.

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
congatulations on the new svo addition. this was like being part of a soap opera, couldn't wait for the next installment. so how many sp did you finally get and are you 3*,4*,or 5*? and did they tell you about any new resorts that might be in the planning stages? have a safe trip back.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, David and Robin! Are you the newest 5 Star Elite members now?

Give us some details of the final deal.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score

That is why my Robin tries to keep me off the boards!! lol

Just joking, actually she loves our timeshare purchases. She just wants us to take our (or me) time getting more weeks. I know we'll go to the "owners update" during our upcoming trip to Harborside. I just need to remember to look and not touch :rolleyes: the time timeshares!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
thanks for the info. so if i purchased a resale floating week 1-52 at sdo I would be able to stay there anytime during the year including winter season,

YES

but if i wanted to go to another svn resort i would only have 81,000s/o's. will the svn come with the purchase or would it happen as a requal?

SDO is a voluntary resort - you do not get Staroptions with a resale, so you would have to requalify it. Until you requalify it, you would only be able to use the week you purchased at SDO.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You big tease...details, please.

I think they are driving back to CA today, so we'll probably have to wait, although there is quite a bit of info. in his other thread.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
This thread has been an excellent read. Very informative and entertaining!

Its like we are right there with as they are agonizing on what to do and what are thier options.
popcorn.gif

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
YES

SDO is a voluntary resort - you do not get Staroptions with a resale, so you would have to requalify it. Until you requalify it, you would only be able to use the week you purchased at SDO.

i didn't know that so until i purchase another developer week and requal the sdo i can't put it in the svn.

so if i purchase a resale i would be better off going with a mandatory resort because then it is automatically in svn, so when i requalify it will be the same as my other developer weeks. sp and elite, right. i am new at resale market and i want to do this right so i don't have my husband say i told you to buy from the developer. thanks for all your help

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
so if i purchase a resale i would be better off going with a mandatory resort because then it is automatically in svn, so when i requalify it will be the same as my other developer weeks. sp and elite, right. i am new at resale market and i want to do this right so i don't have my husband say i told you to buy from the developer. thanks for all your help

The cheapest route would be to buy a resale voluntary & have that brought in to the system with a subsequent developer purchase.