• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Website: Can you upgrade a guest?

slabeaume

Reaction score
I can see that there are at least 3 higher cat. units available and have requested an upgrade, but haven't received it. I was wondering if it's because it's in my daughter's name as a guest. I tried to call, but didn't want to wait 3 days for them to answer.

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Out of curiousity, are the higher level units one level up, or more than one?

At this point, it's just a guess as to what's actually working correctly on the new site.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, are the higher level units one level up, or more than one?

At this point, it's just a guess as to what's actually working correctly on the new site.
I have them in a studio and there are 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms available. I put in the request 2 days ago and it hasn't changed. If it was outside the 14 day mark I'd cancel and rebook, but it's for a reservation starting June 4th.

Wolf&Sprite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Avon
I booked a room with my brother-in-law as guest. Sunday evening I got in and checked the upgrade box. Last week there was nothing to upgrade to so I didn't expect anything. Within 10 minutes I noticed that it had been upgraded to a two bedroom deluxe. So guests can get upgrades, or at least they could. Who knows what the system does now after this past week, or what it will be doing next week.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Try calling it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I can see that there are at least 3 higher cat. units available and have requested an upgrade, but haven't received it. I was wondering if it's because it's in my daughter's name as a guest. I tried to call, but didn't want to wait 3 days for them to answer.

I booked a room with my brother-in-law as guest. Sunday evening I got in and checked the upgrade box. Last week there was nothing to upgrade to so I didn't expect anything. Within 10 minutes I noticed that it had been upgraded to a two bedroom deluxe. So guests can get upgrades, or at least they could. Who knows what the system does now after this past week, or what it will be doing next week.

All this does lead me to believe that upgrades are processed in some frequent sweep, but not immediately. If so slabeaume upgrade request should have been filled. And Wolf&Sprite would have seen it when they the first time, but 10 mins later it was there.

So I would be interesting to know if slabsaume did eventually get an upgrade?

Wolf&Sprite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Avon
I clicked on the upgrade request button and then moved on to explore the web site. I didn't expect an upgrade so wasn't really paying attention to see how quickly it occurred. I just happened to be checking my reservations a few minutes later and noticed it.

On another note, they checked in on Thursday and did get the upgrade. I hear that Wyndham is taking some of the recent upgrades back.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Still no upgrade for Sea Gardens. Still shows available upgrades. Did try to call, but was on the phone about 30 minutes and decided to just request the upgrade online. I had requested an upgrade on a different reservation (for July) a couple days ago and noticed it received an upgrade even though the website didn't show any available. Hopefully that one won't be taken back!!!

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still no upgrade for Sea Gardens. Still shows available upgrades. Did try to call, but was on the phone about 30 minutes and decided to just request the upgrade online. I had requested an upgrade on a different reservation (for July) a couple days ago and noticed it received an upgrade even though the website didn't show any available. Hopefully that one won't be taken back!!!

Too bad you already had a guest certificate on it, otherwise I would suggest you just rebook it, provided there are smaller units and larger units, as you and I have both heard about some inventory that when cancelled does not return.

I suspect there is a delay on cancellations, as it might hold the cancellation until a sweep for upgrades is ready to run. But I don't know. That could be one reason why cancelled units have not come back. It might also be a way for Wyndham to discourage the C/R by making Cancellations not returning immediately, but with some degree of randomness. Who knows, just speculation until more examples are provided.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Too bad you already had a guest certificate on it, otherwise I would suggest you just rebook it, provided there are smaller units and larger units, as you and I have both heard about some inventory that when cancelled does not return.

I suspect there is a delay on cancellations, as it might hold the cancellation until a sweep for upgrades is ready to run. But I don't know. That could be one reason why cancelled units have not come back. It might also be a way for Wyndham to discourage the C/R by making Cancellations not returning immediately, but with some degree of randomness. Who knows, just speculation until more examples are provided.

If the reservation was more then 14 days out, I would have. I even thought of changing the name on the reservation to ours and see if the upgrade comes, then changing it back to her. We have some free guest certificates. But I didn't want to do that if it wasn't going to make any difference.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If the reservation was more then 14 days out, I would have. I even thought of changing the name on the reservation to ours and see if the upgrade comes, then changing it back to her. We have some free guest certificates. But I didn't want to do that if it wasn't going to make any difference.

I didn't realize that it was in the cancellation period, so yes, you don't want to do that.

I know the wait is long, but have you attempted a phone call. Or is there a same unit you have booked available now, if you walk though the process does it offer you an upgrade? I am assuming NO unit, but I had to ask.

slabeaume

Reaction score
I didn't realize that it was in the cancellation period, so yes, you don't want to do that.

I know the wait is long, but have you attempted a phone call. Or is there a same unit you have booked available now, if you walk though the process does it offer you an upgrade? I am assuming NO unit, but I had to ask.

There are no studios available, but I use to be able to upgrade to any higher category at Sea Gardens before.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just researching a bit on how the new upgrade function is working, and it has less choice than the old system.

No more upgrading within a size! Really why, what about upgrading views or to presidentials? All that seems gone now.

Funny thing is, if there are multiple units types available for upgrade (ok I know that might be a big if, but humor me), like a 2 BR and 2 BR Pres. The first few auto upgrades will go to presumably the VIP Plat, and what ever else they added to prioritize. Funny thing is once the 2 BR deluxe are all gone, then the people a bit farther down the upgrade list might actually get the better upgrades.

One of those unintended consequences. Shrew up the people who have earned the highest status with their cold hard cash.

I think this auto upgrade, given the way it is looking, is going to end up NOT rewarding the VIP Plats who book early. But honestly who really know what the sweet spot might be. Might be just as easy to buy a lottery ticket, as your odds of getting that primo upgrade are slim.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The wishlist added resorts that I wanted and, after a resort is added, click on it and it will do the search to book button.

slabeaume

Reaction score
Just talked to someone in reservations. Their explanation for not getting the upgrade is that it'll be done automatically by Voyager when something is available. I tried to explain it is available and she said those in front of me get upgraded first. To which I added availability hasn't changed in 2 days so how long does it take. She said she didn't know. Now I'm waiting to talk to a supervisor. Doubt that will help, though! In the mean time, the inventory is out there for anyone who wants to reserve and upgrade right now.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just talked to someone in reservations. Their explanation for not getting the upgrade is that it'll be done automatically by Voyager when something is available. I tried to explain it is available and she said those in front of me get upgraded first. To which I added availability hasn't changed in 2 days so how long does it take. She said she didn't know. Now I'm waiting to talk to a supervisor. Doubt that will help, though! In the mean time, the inventory is out there for anyone who wants to reserve and upgrade right now.

Would suggest trying to get them to open a case on this.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
If the supervisor doesn't help you, see if you can get transferred to owner care.
I've not had much success ever with a case (they open them and you rarely hear anything back).
And as you've noted, time is of the essence - this needs to be resolved NOW.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

So in other words, a third party like myself could directly book the unit for a discount, essentially cutting in front of anyone waiting for an upgrade. BRILLIANT!

slabeaume

Reaction score
As uscav8r mention, I tried to explain to the reservationist that anyone could still make a reservation and get the free upgrade and my VIP upgrade would be gone. She was totally clueless. So I asked to speak to a supervisor. After waiting another 20 minutes, I got one (customer service, I believe). She could see what I was saying and put in a "case" for it. But she also went ahead and cancelled my reservation without penalty and made a new reservation for me. Ended up taking the 1 bedroom with upgrade to the 2 bedroom since the studio she just cancelled didn't show up again. Did not get the choice for the 2 bedroom deluxe, though, just the 2 bedroom. Now I have until 11:59 to cancell this reservation and rebook something myself if I want since it's a new reservation!

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would just take the 2 bedroom and quit while you are behind.

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resort Stays at Hotel Prices

OFFER DETAILS: Book by May 31, 2017. Travel by
September 30, 2017. Mention promo code BESUM17. Two-night minimum length of stay required. Valid for new reservations only. Reservations subject to availability. Reservations not valid over holidays and special events. Cannot be combined with any other offer. All monetary amounts are noted in U.S. Dollars unless otherwise noted.

What does this have to do with upgrades or upgrading a guest booking?

You're going off reservation again and mucking up the thread.

slabeaume

Reaction score
I would just take the 2 bedroom and quit while you are behind.
I most likely will, just thought it was interesting that now I have until the end of today to make anymore changes without penalty. I guess I knew that from before, but never used that option.