• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Travel Development going to Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m a little over 30 days out before our trip to Lahaina in 6206. It’s the one thing I look forward to all year. I’m checking my flights just double checking everything and I notice something is different. My original flight was SLC-SEA-OGG. There was a change a couple weeks ago that modified our SLC-SEA leg, which was fine.

Looking today, it now shows SLC-SEA-LAX-OGG. Odd, but okay, I’ll roll with it. I understand airline are trying to consolidate and save some operating costs. Instead of arriving at 3:30pm, I now arrive at 6:30pm. But wait, there’s more. I arrive at 6:30pm the FOLLOWING day!!! So not only do I lose a night in Maui, I now have to pay for a hotel room in Seattle for a 1 day layover, before continuing on to LAX/OGG.

This almost makes me want to cancel the trip, but we’re still holding out. Need to make adjustments to car rental and see if I can find a room for the layover. Good thing I still have a Marriott Certificate.

I called Delta and asked them about it. She tells me about my wonderful itinerary and I asked her if she noticed anything strange. She apologized once she saw the layover. I told her I That I wasn’t upset at her as it wasn’t her fault. I just never received a notification about the change. That’s the part that bothered me.

One benefit is that my cash tickets are now eligible for a full refund if I should cancel, rather than a voucher.

But back to Maui, I really hope things do a 180 over there. On another note, DW went to go get tested today just in case. She’s been having a dry cough for about a week and yesterday she tells me that she her chest is feeling tight. And she tells me she had a little diarrhea last week as well as some yesterday. Hopefully it’s nothing. If she does have it, I’m putting my Travelex policy to the test and filing a claim. Also, whatever she does have isn’t that bad. She thought it was possibly allergies.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Steven, sorry to hear about the changes the airline made, but as you say it makes you eligible for a cash refund. I am hoping that happens with our Alaska Air flight to HNL or back from Maui as we don’t plan to go. Alaska isn’t good about letting us know of changes either. Very annoying.

I hope your DW is OK and doesn’t have the virus. If she does, here is wishing her a smooth recovery and no one else in your family gets it. That travel insurance Would definitely come in handy if she does have it.

Best regards.

Mike

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
These are the games airlines are playing. Consolidating flights to prevent from having to cancel flight confirmations. This was deliberate. They are hoping you cancel first so they don't have to refund you.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'm sitting on a handful of Hawaiian Air tickets to/from Maui for late May. According to HA, they have "suspended" flights to May 8, but not after. So, my flights are not yet canceled or suspended, so no refund, just voucher. So I'm sitting tight. More airline games.

I was able to get refunds on about 10 different AA flights I had scheduled because they were either canceled or had schedule changes of one hour or more, or went from non-stop to 1-stop. But before I called I mapped out every flight so I knew exactly what had changed.

Still sitting on RT business class flights to/from Europe. Tahiti Air to Paris. AA flights home from London and Dublin. Hoping to be able to use them, but not optimistic.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It sounds like right now all of the airlines are playing that game. By that game I mean making changes to your itinerary, but NOT notifying you. I found it with our Alaska Airlines flights to Seattle. I wanted to cancel them, so that gave me the opportunity. But I only found out by checking their website. Dd had a conference in Los Angeles cancelled. She checked her SW flights and found it had gone from a nonstop at night, to a one stop starting in the afternoon. Again, no notification from SW but she was able to cancel and get a refund.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, either way it gives us options that we didn’t have before. Cash refund could come in handy if we need to. Since flight originates 5/30 we can pretty much cancel anytime. And now we have the option for cash so that’s a win.

But I’d rather be in Maui.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Well, either way it gives us options that we didn’t have before. Cash refund could come in handy if we need to. Since flight originates 5/30 we can pretty much cancel anytime. And now we have the option for cash so that’s a win.

But I’d rather be in Maui.
I could take HA vouchers for November... but I paid more for Memorial Weekend to Maui than early Nov (post-COVID) fare, so I'd rather get the refund and rebuy.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would check and see if you can find something better to book. Giving up a day of the trip isnt great, and neither is the overnight layover. It seems pretty likely to me that you could cancel, refund, and then book a replacement that was a better option.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would check and see if you can find something better to book. Giving up a day of the trip isnt great, and neither is the overnight layover. It seems pretty likely to me that you could cancel, refund, and then book a replacement that was a better option.

I checked. No other options. All other flights have been cancelled. Next available flight is 10 days later. They’ve cut down on everything. They’re trying to force travelers to cancel.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to see if you can get to Oahu on a better flight and then buy a ticket from Oahu to OGG. Laying over in Hawaii may be more fun that Seattle. Or fly two round trip tickets. One from SLC to LAX and the other from LAX to OGG. Looks like you can cobble those together for a decent price. Not sure what you paid initially.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
It sounds like right now all of the airlines are playing that game. By that game I mean making changes to your itinerary, but NOT notifying you. I found it with our Alaska Airlines flights to Seattle. I wanted to cancel them, so that gave me the opportunity. But I only found out by checking their website. Dd had a conference in Los Angeles cancelled. She checked her SW flights and found it had gone from a nonstop at night, to a one stop starting in the afternoon. Again, no notification from SW but she was able to cancel and get a refund.
I've had several SW flights modified in June/July and have received email notifications each time, even though in one case it was only like a 45 minute difference in departure/arrival time. I've also had one cancelled completely, also notified and funds put in holding account with option for full refund.

I'd recommend folks really watch their reservations - it takes like two minutes on a web site or the app.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to see if you can get to Oahu on a better flight and then buy a ticket from Oahu to OGG. Laying over in Hawaii may be more fun that Seattle. Or fly two round trip tickets. One from SLC to LAX and the other from LAX to OGG. Looks like you can cobble those together for a decent price. Not sure what you paid initially.

None of these options are available. When I do a search with flexible dates, no results return. When I break the legs down, there is always a timing difference. By the time I get to LAX, the flight to Maui or HNL has already left.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven, you would need to layover in LA for it to work, but it's something to consider. It looks like you can pull it off on the way back without a layover. Same thing via SFO. Of course I was looking at about 30 days out, not specific to your actual dates.

The cruddy part is that you would be paying a lot for bags with this model.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
That sounds like a terrible travel schedule. If you haven't already done so, have you looked at other carriers? I will bet you could do better with canceling for refund and then using the money for Southwest from UT to OAk and then Oak to OGG.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked SouthWest. They offer no outgoing flights. If you want to have fun and check, scheduled departure is 5/30 from SLC and returning 6/13. For the airlines that I've checked, there are no other options available. Rescheduling doesn't appear to be an option.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I’m a little over 30 days out before our trip to Lahaina in 6206.
I presume that you are aware that a few days ago the Governor of Hawaii extended the quarantine expiration date to the end of May. So you may be cutting it a little close.

Here's a weird thought: If a person arrives on May 29th or 30th they have to go into a 14 day quarantine. But assume that on June 1 it is lifted. Does a person who went into quarantine prior to June 1 still need to continue their quarantine. That is, is it retroactive?

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I presume that you are aware that a few days ago the Governor of Hawaii extended the quarantine expiration date to the end of May. So you may be cutting it a little close.

Here's a weird thought: If a person arrives on May 29th or 30th they have to go into a 14 day quarantine. But assume that on June 1 it is lifted. Does a person who went into quarantine prior to June 1 still need to continue their quarantine. That is, is it retroactive?

See post 14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@StevenTing You are right. For some reason there are zero flights when you plug in SLC to OGG, However there are flights same day if you break it into 2 searches 1) SLC to Oak; 2) Oak to OGG. I have to run back to work, but you might be able to reduce the layover if you check the other California WN hubs for Hawaii (Sacto, SJC, SFO, etc.). Good luck!

1588201586777.png

1588201743695.png

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
See post 14

I don't see where post #14 answered the question. I read through the portion of the site that referenced the 14 day quarantine, but didn't look through all the other associated links. Nothing I see mentions if you arrive when the quarantine is in effect, are you released from it if the end they order during your 14 days>

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don't see where post #14 answered the question. I read through the portion of the site that referenced the 14 day quarantine, but didn't look through all the other associated links. Nothing I see mentions if you arrive when the quarantine is in effect, are you released from it if the end they order during your 14 days>

The question was

If a person arrives on May 29th or 30th they have to go into a 14 day quarantine. But assume that on June 1 it is lifted. Does a person who went into quarantine prior to June 1 still need to continue their quarantine. That is, is it retroactive?

The link I included answered this question. If you arrive before June 1st, you have a 14 day quarantine. This does not mean that if you arrive on May 25th, for example, your 14 day quarantine is completed on June 1st.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
@StevenTing You are right. For some reason there are zero flights when you plug in SLC to OGG, However there are flights same day if you break it into 2 searches 1) SLC to Oak; 2) Oak to OGG. I have to run back to work, but you might be able to reduce the layover if you check the other California WN hubs for Hawaii (Sacto, SJC, SFO, etc.). Good luck!

View attachment 19848

View attachment 19849
Southwest does not offer any multi-city bookings into and out of Hawaii. You need to book the non-stop and book an additional flight for the connecting cities.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Southwest does not offer any multi-city bookings into and out of Hawaii. You need to book the non-stop and book an additional flight for the connecting cities.
Really? I went to the SW website and while I couldn't see a flight for the 5/30 SLC to OGG, I was able to pull up the return flight from OGG to SLC with a stop in OAK.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Really? I went to the SW website and while I couldn't see a flight for the 5/30 SLC to OGG, I was able to pull up the return flight from OGG to SLC with a stop in OAK.
you are correct, southwest is now allowing connecting flights to the following cities from OAK/SJC. Maybe these flights aren't offered daily and there are differences in the days offered between OAK/SJC and the connecting cities on the outbound?

Connecting West Coast cities:

Burbank
Long Beach
Ontario
Orange County
Portland
Sacramento (direct service pending)
San Diego (direct service pending)
Seattle

Connecting non West Coast cities:

Albuquerque
Boise