• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Travel Development going to Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
StevenTing- While I know you do not want to cancel your trip...if it does come down to that...at least you can now cancel with a full airfare refund (vs credit), since the airline added an overnight connection. It takes a little bit of the sting out. If you still plan to go though, I think that's a pretty poor flight path with two connections. I'd try to improve that over the coming weeks if the airline opens better flight options. Good luck.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
At this point it's not worth the hassle to try and change carriers. However, if more optimal flights open up, I will be modifying. The challenge is that we have 3 separate bookings for our group that will be travelling. Our Aunt/Uncle that will be coming will only be staying 7 days with us, which will now be 6 days. They're still planning to come at this moment as long as we are.

But yes, the cash refund does make it a little better if we have to cancel.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
At this point it's not worth the hassle to try and change carriers. However, if more optimal flights open up, I will be modifying. The challenge is that we have 3 separate bookings for our group that will be travelling. Our Aunt/Uncle that will be coming will only be staying 7 days with us, which will now be 6 days. They're still planning to come at this moment as long as we are.

But yes, the cash refund does make it a little better if we have to cancel.
Steven in looking at your dates and issues with flights, could you push your arrival date back a couple of days so that you arrive June 1 or later. That way you would avoid the 14 day quarantine that it looks like you would be subject to if you arrive before the end of May.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven,

I was like you and held on by my fingernails for my June 13 Maui arrival, staying for a month in great Marriott resorts.

My husband and I have read all the Hawaii press releases and watched videos of the official government meetings regarding Covid19.

I can't imagine restrictions being totally lifted by June. I suspect the quarantine will be lifted, but there will be limited stores and restaurants open. And if we have to wear masks where ever we go, well.....that's not fun on vacation.

Actually in one of their meetings, they were so upset that a few visitors were still arriving, that they were considering using ankle bracelets for visitors testing negative, keeping everyone in a convention center for 14 days, or keeping them in their hotel rooms without a room key. Of course, this was just during the quarantine.

I cancelled all reservations yesterday. We'll go another year.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
@StevenTing You are right. For some reason there are zero flights when you plug in SLC to OGG, However there are flights same day if you break it into 2 searches 1) SLC to Oak; 2) Oak to OGG. I have to run back to work, but you might be able to reduce the layover if you check the other California WN hubs for Hawaii (Sacto, SJC, SFO, etc.). Good luck!

View attachment 19848

View attachment 19849
Looks like they canceled the nonstop and the one with the HNL layover is much more. I'd look at getting to the west coast a day early and flying to OGG the day your trip begins. You may have explored that-I didn't read every post. AA is pricey. I just looked. Sorry about this. Good luck.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
delete

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
For the record; The airlines are not playing 'games.'

It is quite possible that more than a few airlines will declare bankruptcy or cease operations entirely in the next few weeks or months.
Ditto for small and large businesses. Hope you don't have a Hertz rental car....they are slipping beneath the waves as we speak.

I'll offer this suggestion: Try to travel at least 1 day ahead. Expect 1 out of 3 flights to cancel or change schedule. If you can get on a flight that gets you where you're going.....go.
Cash refunds? Not if there isn't any money.
It's a sad state of affairs.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
For the record; The airlines are not playing 'games.'

It is quite possible that more than a few airlines will declare bankruptcy or cease operations entirely in the next few weeks or months.
Ditto for small and large businesses. Hope you don't have a Hertz rental car....they are slipping beneath the waves as we speak.

I'll offer this suggestion: Try to travel at least 1 day ahead. Expect 1 out of 3 flights to cancel or change schedule. If you can get on a flight that gets you where you're going.....go.
Cash refunds? Not if there isn't any money.
It's a sad state of affairs.
I'd be concerned with trying to get to Maui one day earlier as that is still during the period when the two week quarantine is in effect. Also, it looks like there may not be available flights going to Hawaii because of the quarantine. That's why I suggested maybe trying to go a day or two later.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Hi Steven,

This sounds like a really tough flight. Also many things in Maui may not be open, assuming you can get past the 14 day quarantine. If I were you, I would take the cash refund and reschedule for a time when things will be more fun.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'd be concerned with trying to get to Maui one day earlier as that is still during the period when the two week quarantine is in effect. Also, it looks like there may not be available flights going to Hawaii because of the quarantine. That's why I suggested maybe trying to go a day or two later.

I agree.....my point was this (generic, not just OP):

Expect delays and cancels.
Don't expect automatic cash refunds ymmv.
Plan to arrive a day after you expect it. So plan accordingly.

Good luck

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Steven,

This sounds like a really tough flight. Also many things in Maui may not be open, assuming you can get past the 14 day quarantine. If I were you, I would take the cash refund and reschedule for a time when things will be more fun.
There’s no rescheduling. Fixed week ownership means fixed week. And depositing into II at this time will yield very little. We’re hoping that in the next 3 weeks that something changes in Hawaii. We’ve discussed the possibility of me going by myself and I would just work remote in the room. I’d pack some freeze dried food and at least have nice weather while I’m working from the balcony.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We’ve discussed the possibility of me going by myself and I would just work remote in the room. I’d pack some freeze dried food and at least have nice weather while I’m working from the balcony.
How to have marital problems step 1.... Go to Hawaii by yourself and leave wife and kids quarantined at home during a pandemic. ;-)

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven,
Of course it's your decision, but from the articles I have read, you probably are not going to be treated with Aloha when you arrive. At this point, they want NO visitors and are still trying to figure out a way to stop all incoming flights, which legally they can't.

Depositing with II may not be as bad as you think.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There’s no rescheduling. Fixed week ownership means fixed week. And depositing into II at this time will yield very little. We’re hoping that in the next 3 weeks that something changes in Hawaii. We’ve discussed the possibility of me going by myself and I would just work remote in the room. I’d pack some freeze dried food and at least have nice weather while I’m working from the balcony.
I would think along the same lines so as to get as much value from it as possible especially if I were living on the west coast. At this point I'm sure many are getting as good as I am with social distancing and would be able to maintain my safety and others that I would somehow come in contact with. I have to believe you would have the ability order food delivery from many great restaurants and do your part to give something back to the local economy.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven,
Of course it's your decision, but from the articles I have read, you probably are not going to be treated with Aloha when you arrive. At this point, they want NO visitors and are still trying to figure out a way to stop all incoming flights, which legally they can't.

Depositing with II may not be as bad as you think.
I personally don't think at the end of June there will be such a dramatic shutdown and there will be more personal freedom. I hope that is not too optimistic for those that are going. As for the locals my feeling is most want tourist back asap as long as thing are under control.

Ricci

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven is going in late may /early June.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am hoping he quarantine is lifted by June 1. If it is not, you can order from instacart and have groceries and items delivered to your room.

Hope you enjoy your stay and the nice view you will have from the lanai.

We are the same as you but hoping Disneyworld will be open as we have a flight there on June 11. If parks aren't open, we will just cancell our flights and rooms.

Stay safe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven is going in late may /early June.
That may be different because they may extend past the end of May if numbers don't rapidly descend in May. I'm still cautiously optimistic we will see that in May.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
It would be helpful if Hawaii had a chart like California is tracking as follows so we could get a sense of where things stand relative to SIP.

1588431590661.png

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
That may be different because they may extend past the end of May if numbers don't rapidly descend in May. I'm still cautiously optimistic we will see that in May.
I am not confident the number of cases will go down due to the dramatic increase in the testing. Previously, only people with symptoms were tested so mild and asymptomatic cases weren't being identified. There may be a decline in the number of serious cases, but these reports only include total positive tests. These results also include institutional outbreaks such as nursing homes and prisons. Almost a third of cases in Ohio have been institutional, inflating the true infection rate of the general public.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I am hoping he quarantine is lifted by June 1. If it is not, you can order from instacart and have groceries and items delivered to your room.

Hope you enjoy your stay and the nice view you will have from the lanai.

We are the same as you but hoping Disneyworld will be open as we have a flight there on June 11. If parks aren't open, we will just cancell our flights and rooms.

Stay safe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not to hijack the thread, but are you talking about Disneyworld June 2020? If so, they won't be open. There have been articles wondering if Disney will even be able to open back up in 2021.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I can't imagine restrictions being totally lifted by June. I suspect the quarantine will be lifted, but there will be limited stores and restaurants open. And if we have to wear masks where ever we go, well.....that's not fun on vacation.
Trying to imagine what you'll look like after sitting in the sun on the beach for a few days with a mask covering you from nose to chin.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Disney World has only cancelled DVC confirmations through 5/23. The rest have not been cancelled. They are only allowing FP+ to be scheduled 6/1, and that has remained the same. So they are probably going to have an opening 6/1 (of some kind).

This pandemic has not been as bad as the experts thought it would be, and there are treatments, and there is a forthcoming vaccine that is already being tested.

As I said in another thread, we think we had it. We have appointments on the 14th of May to get our blood checked for antibodies. I am just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.