• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As I said, I couldn't read the entire article, it's behind a pay wall. I saw at the top where it said "Opinion". Maybe I'm just suspicious of opinion pieces.
The entire news media is opinion these days. True journalism is dead.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
LOL! Not after this week on TUG. It's Friday afternoon.

Some of us are fans of yours. Well, me anyway. I find your opinions smart, spot-on, and well-considered. :thumbup:

Dave

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Tell this story/article to those family members that have loss loved ones to the coronavirus and to those cruise passengers that were on Princess & Holland America cruise ships. Plus, share this opinions will all the infected coronavirus patients around the world.

geekette

Reaction score
I couldn't get in to read the whole article but it looks like it's an opinion piece. And how can someone says it's not as deadly as we thought? How many deaths have there been so far?
Exactly! It has killed enough people for me to consider it Deadly. "Not As" deadly makes no difference to me.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Some of us are fans of yours. Well, me anyway. I find your opinions smart, spot-on, and well-considered. :thumbup:

Dave
I'm a fan as well. We had one tussle (my fault), and you made me think better and more clearly.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Nobody said that. Nobody here said stop research. Nobody. Nobody said that.

Just do not report the research unless it says this is really deadly.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
New Data Suggest the Coronavirus Isn’t as Deadly as We Thought
A study finds 50 to 85 times as many infections as known cases—meaning a far lower fatality rate.

......New data support the skeptics’ view—a preliminary study by a Stanford team, released Friday. They conducted a seroprevalence study of Santa Clara County, Calif., on April 3 and 4. They studied a representative sample of 3,300 residents to test for the presence of antibodies in their blood that would show if they had previously been infected with the novel coronavirus.

The researchers found that the percentage of infections was indeed vastly larger than the roughly 1,000 known positive cases in the county at the time of the study. The preliminary results—the research will now undergo peer review—show that between 2.5% and 4.2% of county residents are estimated to have antibodies against the virus. That translates into 48,000 to 81,000 infections, 50 to 85 times as high as the number of known cases.

That may sound scary, but it’s great news. It suggests that the large majority of people who contract Covid-19 recover without ever knowing they were infected, and that the U.S. infection fatality rate may be more than an order of magnitude lower than authorities had assumed. Based on this seroprevalence data, the authors estimate that in Santa Clara County the true infection fatality rate is somewhere in the range of 0.12% to 0.2%—far closer to seasonal influenza than to the original, case-based estimates......

......Yet if policy makers were aware from the outset that the Covid-19 death toll would be closer to that of seasonal flu than the millions of American deaths predicted by early models dependent on inputs that now look inaccurate, would they have risked tens of millions of jobs and livelihoods? The science to support better modeling and decision making is rapidly becoming available. One hopes that it will inform better policy decisions.

BS

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be interested to know why people prefer to believe all the bad news about Covid. Please share.

Because we’re reading facts and data while you’re reading opinions.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because we’re reading facts and data while you’re reading opinions.

I posted the link to the actual research study. I also posted a journalism article, not an opinion piece. Did you read those?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New Jersey, a small state, over 3,800 deaths. We are well over souls lost on 9/11. I am all for opening up America again, as long as people keep their nose and mouth covered, wear gloves and be sanitary. But there will always be those who think the rules should not apply to them.

And I’ve never heard one person say that 9/11 wasn’t that bad. Have you?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And I’ve never heard one person say that 9/11 wasn’t that bad. Have you?

No one is saying covid is not that bad. The study simply says the death rate may not be as high as predicted. This is good news people!!!!

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exactly! It has killed enough people for me to consider it Deadly. "Not As" deadly makes no difference to me.

What many people fail to realize, or choose to ignore, is that many of the projections were based on doing nothing. Most states finally did something in mid-late March. They closed non-essential businesses and implemented social distancing. Of course, with 50 states, the various orders from the governors were different and a handful haven’t really done anything. So, we have a hodgepodge of orders implemented at different times and will be lifted at different times. At this time, we have no proven drugs that work well to fight the virus and we will not have a vaccine for a year or more. We don’t have enough test kits or enough people trained to professionally administer tests. Some people think because it’s spring and the weather is getting warm, the virus will magically go away. There is no proof that will happen but we can hope.

Everybody wants things to get back to normal. So, with our hopes telling us one thing and the actual data telling us another, we are going to start opening businesses and putting people back to work, and going to the beach, and eating in restaurants, and going to the hair salon, and spending money, and it’s going to fix everything. Good luck with that.

I’ve never been more happy to be a retired introvert.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
1. Personally, I don't think it's ever bad to collect more data and add it to your decision making. (Of course that also means giving due consideration to the nature and quality of the information, not all information is created equally.)

2. I think it's important to change one's mind or modify one's thinking in response to improved information. Just speaking, hypothetically of course, that might lead someone to say. "OMG - I might have underestimated the threat posed by a virus." And action is taken on the basis of the new information. And then as additional information comes in, that person might trim the other direction because the new data says that things might not be as bad as the prior data indicated. Or the added information might indicate the need to take extra action. Or the extra information might just make the situation more muddied.

3. One key item is to recognize that all of us, no matter how well trained we think we are or how smart we are, have confirmation biases. The best thing that we can do is to know what our biases are and attempt to counter those biases by being more critical of information and opinions that align with our biases, and less dismissive of information and opinions that we don't agree with. And when we clash, use that as an opportunity to hone our thinking by taking the effort to at least partly remove our bias filters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.