• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need assistance planning a visit to Italy

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I so would love to go to Italy. My husband never wanted to go abroad
my son is trying to get Italian citizenship. two sisters and two nieces already have it.
it takes years to get it, and I don’t think I have years left, but he was trying to convince me.
I turn on the news and start thinking really hard about it. Apparently you can live anywhere in the European Union.
my son found a Facebook group that does ancestry on my mothers side of the family, just her mothers maiden name.
I joined yesterday, my son posted a question, and a woman who runs the group found my great grandparents in the Chicago census, papers with their names, death certificates, etc, OVERNIGHT.
my sisters did visit the hometowns of great grandparents on both sides, very common names on both sides. They actually met descendants of great grandfathers sister, and we are related to half the people in the small town in Italy. The other side of family, no one remembers.
You don't need Italian Citizenship to visit Italy. Just have your US Passport in hand and GO!

All well and good for your kids to follow, if they want to live in the EU for longer than 6 months, but for 90 days at a time, it's unnecessary.

Jim

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You don't need Italian Citizenship to visit Italy. Just have your US Passport in hand and GO!

All well and good for your kids to follow, if they want to live in the EU for longer than 6 months, but for half a year at a time, it's unnecessary.

Jim

Actually, it’s a limit of 90 days out of every six months.

The common visa policy enables non-EU visitors to make transit or short stays to the Schengen area. A short-stay visa issued by one of the Schengen countries generally entitles them to travel through all Schengen countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We researched whether my spouse would qualify for Irish citizenship, just so we could live in Italy full-time. Alas, his mother is still eligible, but she would have needed to apply for it before he was born for him to be eligible. It's still heartbreaking for us, LOL. My forbearers came over in the first wave of European colonization, so I'm no help there.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Our bucket list Italy and Greek Islands trip starts in about a month. Anyone have last minute tips for me? We still have time to make a few adjustments, as needed.

We have our itinerary laid out, tours booked, transfers in place, train tickets between cities, and reasonable schedules pretty well laid out. Only doing one touristy thing a day, (and not every day), so as not to overdo, and leaving a lot of open time for exploring things and relaxing. It's going to be a great 10 days in Italy. Venice, Florence (with a half-day side trip to Pisa), and then Rome.

Then we get on a cruise ship for a week, enjoying a stop in Naples (to see Pompeii), then cruising around and through the Greek Islands. Stops in Mykonos, Santorini, and Ephesus, Turkey, (in one order or another), before ending in Athens. Two days later we fly home.

All in, we'll be gone three weeks. We aren't trying to see everything, just some of the high points, and feel if we think we missed something that bad, we'll just have to book another trip.

Looking forward to a fun trip!

Dave

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
I'm very happy for you and I believe it'll be an amazing trip! I wish I could tag along :)

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was in Athens in April and had a great walking tour (there are many of these available). Of course, a visit to the archeological museum is always nice, too (and in the same area as the walking tour).

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
You got it covered. Can't wait to hear about it when you return.🤙🏻

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our bucket list Italy and Greek Islands trip starts in about a month. Anyone have last minute tips for me? We still have time to make a few adjustments, as needed.

We have our itinerary laid out, tours booked, transfers in place, train tickets between cities, and reasonable schedules pretty well laid out. Only doing one touristy thing a day, (and not every day), so as not to overdo, and leaving a lot of open time for exploring things and relaxing. It's going to be a great 10 days in Italy. Venice, Florence (with a half-day side trip to Pisa), and then Rome.

Then we get on a cruise ship for a week, enjoying a stop in Naples (to see Pompeii), then cruising around and through the Greek Islands. Stops in Mykonos, Santorini, and Ephesus, Turkey, (in one order or another), before ending in Athens. Two days later we fly home.

All in, we'll be gone three weeks. We aren't trying to see everything, just some of the high points, and feel if we think we missed something that bad, we'll just have to book another trip.

Dave
I’ve been thinking about you and wondering if you had left for the trip yet. Looking forward to your report back!

Have a wonderful time! It sounds great!

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great plan! In Venice, find places to eat in the neighborhoods beyond St. Mark’s square. Also, we found that taking the vaparetto at sunset out to Lido and back was a great, cheap way to see the city at night, and see the fireworks. One of the city passes worked really well for us the last time we were in Venice, which is one of my favorite cities in the world. Enjoy!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That sounds like a great plan! In Venice, find places to eat in the neighborhoods beyond St. Mark’s square. Also, we found that taking the vaparetto at sunset out to Lido and back was a great, cheap way to see the city at night, and see the fireworks. One of the city passes worked really well for us the last time we were in Venice, which is one of my favorite cities in the world. Enjoy!

Thanks! The sunset ride sounds perfect! We're staying in a nice hotel in the Ferrovia area, not far from the train station. Lots of good walking from there. We should be able to find some great places to eat. Only going to St. Marks long enough to tour it and the Doge's Palace. Will visit the Peggy Guggenheim gallery one day. We have vaparetto tickets for three days, and plan to use it plenty, including a visit to Murano. Who doesn't love glassworks? :)

Dave

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Murano is *amazing*. We also loved the Peggy Guggenheim museum. Sounds like it's a great itinerary. I can't wait for trip reports and pictures!

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The sunset ride sounds perfect! We're staying in a nice hotel in the Ferrovia area, not far from the train station. Lots of good walking from there. We should be able to find some great places to eat. Only going to St. Marks long enough to tour it and the Doge's Palace. Will visit the Peggy Guggenheim gallery one day. We have vaparetto tickets for three days, and plan to use it plenty, including a visit to Murano. Who doesn't love glassworks? :)

Dave
You'll love Venice and Murano. We were there ten years ago almost to the day, and bought beautiful crystal stemware for ourselves and my in-laws.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
Re: Stops in Mykonos and Santorini

Mykonos is one of those Greek islands that’s been destroyed by tourism. Save your energy for better stops. Maybe get a photo of a windmill and find a place to relax.

Santorini is a different story. You’ll surely want to visit a number of crater rim towns, walkable (uphill) from the square with the iconic church. If time and summer crowds allow there is also a string of lovely beaches (named for their colors of sand) linked by a cheap hop on-off ferry.

Re: Ephesus

Unforgettable, and the cruise ship tour will get you 80% of what’s there to see. If time allows, the other 20% is in the little museum right there that the tours usually skip.

Edited to add: Do not accept any offer of hospitality from friendly strangers on the street in Turkey. It will lead to a bargaining session where you'll be offered ever-changing prices to purchase a rug. No different from a buy-or-cry timeshare pitch in Mexico, except your free prize will likely be a cup of tea and maybe a pomegranate.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Re: Stops in Mykonos and Santorini

Mykonos is one of those Greek islands that’s been destroyed by tourism. Save your energy for better stops. Maybe get a photo of a windmill and find a place to relax.

Santorini is a different story. You’ll surely want to visit a number of crater rim towns, walkable (uphill) from the square with the iconic church. If time and summer crowds allow there is also a string of lovely beaches (named for their colors of sand) linked by a cheap hop on-off ferry.

Re: Ephesus

Unforgettable, and the cruise ship tour will get you 80% of what’s there to see. If time allows, the other 20% is in the little museum right there that the tours usually skip.

Edited to add: Do not accept any offer of hospitality from friendly strangers on the street in Turkey. It will lead to a bargaining session where you'll be offered ever-changing prices to purchase a rug. No different from a buy-or-cry timeshare pitch in Mexico, except your free prize will likely be a cup of tea and maybe a pomegranate.
We're doing excursions from the tendered-out ship in both Mykonos and Santorini. (Oia, not Fira, is the main stop on the Santorini tour.) Not expecting over-the-top things, precisely because of the crowds. It's mainly to get some pictures, and to touch land, so we can say we've been there. I'm not a beach guy. :)

Ships docks in Ephesus, and we have a rather interesting excursion booked, that provides an iPad to see how things used to look. I think the museum you mention is right there.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Ok, y'all. Today is the big day! We're heading to the airport shortly. Wish us luck! I'll be back online in a few weeks.

Don't buy any developer timeshares while I'm gone! :D

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safe Travels! Have Fun, and a gelato for me

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buon viaggio, Dave! I'm so jealous! I've been sorting and packing up for our move to Nevada next month, and I would SO rather be ANYwhere in Italy! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Have an awesome vacation!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Buon viaggio, Dave! I'm so jealous! I've been sorting and packing up for our move to Nevada next month, and I would SO rather be ANYwhere in Italy! I can't wait to hear all about your trip. Have an awesome vacation!

Thanks! Are you coming to Southern Nevada? We may need to meet for coffee or something!

Dave

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, we thought about St George, but it's too hot for us in the summer! We're moving to Northern Nevada, but still plan to spend a lot of time in the winter in UT and AZ. I'll let you know next time we're in your neighborhood. Enjoy Italy!

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, y'all. Today is the big day! We're heading to the airport shortly. Wish us luck! I'll be back online in a few weeks.

Don't buy any developer timeshares while I'm gone! :D

Dave
OMG! Have such a good time!! Can't wait to hear about your travels!!!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Have fun you two!!!