• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need assistance planning a visit to Italy

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I had referenced this upcoming trip in another thread several months ago. Things are now more firmed up, and I'm seeking experienced Tugger assistance in putting things together.

We are locked into a scheduled Celebrity cruise next July leaving from Rome (Civitavecchia), stopping in Naples, then around the Greek Islands and Kusadasi, and ending in Athens. Dates are firm, and I'm working around this schedule. (Yes, I know it's going to be Summer, hot, and crowded. Dates are firm, so it is what it is. I'm going to do the best I can.) I'm building an itinerary ahead of the cruise that will allow us to hit some of the highlights of Italy before we get on the ship. We want to visit Venice, Florence, and Rome, probably in that order. This trip is about photo ops, historic locations, and seeing memorable sites.

This is most likely a one-shot thing. I know we aren't going to be able to see everything. We aren't even trying to do that - we just want to see SOME of the historic things we, as Americans, have heard about all our lives. I'd appreciate your experienced help. I'm looking specifically for ideas and recommendations for places to stay, points of interest and museums that are especially interesting, and how best to get around. We're not against scheduling local tours, if there is one that doesn't rush people from one location to another. This is not intended to be a "twelve cities in seven days" kind to trip. My husband is diabetic and has certain mobility issues, including problems with prolonged standing. So extensive walking tours and such won't likely work well. We'll do what we can, and not worry about what we can't do. As I say, we'll do the best we can.

The intended plan is to arrive in Venice either by plane or train, spend a few days seeing things, then take the train to Florence. We'll spend several days there as appropriate, mainly to see the museums and architecture, then on to Rome for a few more days, before boarding the cruise ship. I'm thinking we'll spend maybe ten days in Italy ahead of the cruise. We are not Catholic, and not interested in seeing the Pope or the Vatican, or in seeing everything ever built. Just want to put together an interesting time in an historically amazing country.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I had referenced this upcoming trip in another thread several months ago. Things are now more firmed up, and I'm seeking experienced Tugger assistance in putting things together.

We are locked into a scheduled Celebrity cruise next July leaving from Rome (Civitavecchia), stopping in Naples, then around the Greek Islands and Kusadasi, and ending in Athens. Dates are firm, and I'm working around this schedule. (Yes, I know it's going to be Summer, hot, and crowded. Dates are firm, so it is what it is. I'm going to do the best I can.) I'm building an itinerary ahead of the cruise that will allow us to hit some of the highlights of Italy before we get on the ship. We want to visit Venice, Florence, and Rome, probably in that order. This trip is about photo ops, historic locations, and seeing memorable sites.

This is most likely a one-shot thing. I know we aren't going to be able to see everything. We aren't even trying to do that - we just want to see SOME of the historic things we, as Americans, have heard about all our lives. I'd appreciate your experienced help. I'm looking specifically for ideas and recommendations for places to stay, points of interest and museums that are especially interesting, and how best to get around. We're not against scheduling local tours, if there is one that doesn't rush people from one location to another. This is not intended to be a "twelve cities in seven days" kind to trip. My husband is diabetic and has certain mobility issues, including problems with prolonged standing. So extensive walking tours and such won't likely work well. We'll do what we can, and not worry about what we can't do. As I say, we'll do the best we can.

The intended plan is to arrive in Venice either by plane or train, spend a few days seeing things, then take the train to Florence. We'll spend several days there as appropriate, mainly to see the museums and architecture, then on to Rome for a few more days, before boarding the cruise ship. I'm thinking we'll spend maybe ten days in Italy ahead of the cruise. We are not Catholic, and not interested in seeing the Pope or the Vatican, or in seeing everything ever built. Just want to put together an interesting time in an historically amazing country.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Dave
There is a moderated Facebook group named "Italy Travel Planning" that is sponsored by Untold Italy. It is VERY active. People are very helpful and many post as they travel or a summary upon their return. Two things I would suggest you do as soon as possible is book an evening golf cart tour in Rome. Some use Viator but there have been problems with them cancelling some trips (particularly the Coliseum.) Book a 7:30 AM tour of the Vatican directly with the Vatican. There's some sort of breakfast but most of all, you will be the first in and have more time in the Sistine Chapel. People rave about how much better it is.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
We are not Catholic, and not interested in seeing the Pope or the Vatican,
You would also have to be not interested in art, history or architecture.

The Vatican is one of the most impressive structures ever created by humans. And it's filled with some of the most amazing art ever created by humans. And papal history is a very, very large subset of western civilization.

Out of all the things to see in Rome, the Vatican is #1 on my list. And I'm not a Christian, let alone Catholic.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Any suggestions?

My favorite things about Italy aren't visited by tourists. That's great (for me at least). My wife and I have a seaside town we like to visit where we see next to no tourists. We have another in the interior. Neither are on any tourist maps. There's no particular reason for anyone to go there. And yet, these places are lovely, and have everything Italy has to offer -- minus the crowds.

Since we've seen all the museums, cathedrals and palaces, we would rather just visit our sleepy little seaside/hillside town. Get our morning espresso. Have some baked goods and cheese for breakfast. Take trains to some nearby towns. Drink some wine. And then return for some of the best food on the planet. The old idiom, "Do as the Romans do," is just as valid today as it was in antiquity. It's a pity that people refuse to live by this idiom.

Romans eat late. So should you. They take an evening stroll. So should you. They'll get a gelato on that stroll. So should you. They'll pop into a wine bar and have a glass and chat with friends. Maybe a nibble here and there.

Most tourists are so frantically trying to see things, they completely forget to do things. The doing is more fun than the seeing. It is the difference between an enjoyable trip and a stressed-out nightmare.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Venice: We like the Hotel Abbazzia. It's a short block from the train station and Vaporetto stop. Historic- former abbey, and has the only patch of grass and a tree in the courtyard I ever saw. Tale the Vaporetto to St. Mark's square and see the Doge's Palace and wonder just WHY people pay big money for a gondola ride. I really enjoy just wandering the paths and following the signs for interesting sites. For me, Venice is only good for 3 days or so.

Florence: We keep going back time after time. The town is like a 16th Century theme park. See Uffizzi, Academia, Bargello museums for sure. All else is optional. Before you go, watch PBSs https://www.pbs.org/empires/medici/renaissance/index.html You can stream is at any number of sites. It really gives you insight. I don't have a favorite hotel, but there are a lot of them near the train station and erverything you'll want to see is within a few blocks.

Rome: See the Coliseum. Wander the Forum. See the Capitoline Museum. Pass on the Spanish Steps Vatican Museul deserves a guided tour because the collection is TOO vast to see on your own. Go early.

Naples: Archeological Museum where all the Pompeii frescos were taken- including the kinky ones. Get pizza in it's home town.

Athens: We stayed at Hotel Stanley. It's tourist class, but well located. See the Archeological Museum. All that history in one air conditioned place. See the Acropolis if you must, but walk down past the mount where St Paul preached to the Plaka (the first central marketplace) have a great Greek sidewalk meal.

You will have earned a big, long nap.

Jim

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Pompeii is the best single thing in Italy, imho. You can day trip it from Rome or it can be your shore excursion from Naples.

Don't miss the Vatican. Period.

I agree that Venice is a must see, but only once and only for 2-3 days. It's good that it's your first stop because you will be jet lagging.

Make your train reservations in advance; DW and I got some very poor advice from our hotel concierge and we ending up standing on the train from Venice to Florence because we hadn't reserved seats.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
CORRECTION: When I said No to the Vatican, I meant no standing in a line to see the Pope, or attending religious services. The buildings are another story. Seeing the Sistine Chapel is certainly something we'd want to do.

(See, this is why I ask you folks for help. Don't let my ignorance of the right words stop you from making suggestions of things we should consider doing. :D)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Pompeii is the best single thing in Italy, imho. You can day trip it from Rome or it can be your shore excursion from Naples.

Don't miss the Vatican. Period.

I agree that Venice is a must see, but only once and only for 2-3 days. It's good that it's your first stop because you will be jet lagging.

Make your train reservations in advance; DW and I got some very poor advice from our hotel concierge and we ending up standing on the train from Venice to Florence because we hadn't reserved seats.

The cruise stops in Naples the second day. I've already scheduled a tour of Pompeii through the cruise line. :thumbup:

I agree, it's a pretty amazing place. I was there as a Navy sailor in 1973, wandering the streets and being amazed by it all. I understand there is much more to be seen nowadays. Looking forward to that day, for sure.

Dave

ScoopKona

Reaction score
The cruise stops in Naples the second day. I've already scheduled a tour of Pompeii through the cruise line. :thumbup:

I agree, it's a pretty amazing place. I was there as a Navy sailor in 1973, wandering the streets and being amazed by it all. I understand there is much more to be seen nowadays. Looking forward to that day, for sure.

Dave

I love Pompeii. I've been going there my whole life, and the difference between the first time I was there and the last time is, well, staggering.

That being said, Naples is just as important to me as Pompeii. It's another place you'll never find me behind the wheel of a car. (Most of Italy, honestly.) Be sure to see the Bernini sculptures and eat as much and as often as humanly possible. Italy has several "best food on the planet" cities and towns. Naples is one of them. Not at the top of my list. That would be Parma. But it's right up there.

EDIT -- Whenever possible, don't eat on the cruise ship. Just don't. That's like having wall-to-wall amazing restaurants within walking distance and eating at McDonald's because you know what's on the menu. Also, don't let the cruise ship plan your excursions. They make it easy, I'm sure. But the opportunity cost is going to be "stuck with a bunch of tourists, all doing the same thing." That's like going to the Grand Canyon and spending all your time in a McDonald's with no windows. Italy is the polar opposite of the US when it comes to lifestyle philosophy. They like things that were made by hand, things that are home made, and anything local. The very idea of opening a bag of frozen food and dumping it straight into a deep fryer is abhorrent to them. (And that's what you're going to get on the ship -- food which is easy to transport and store. Not food which was grown in town. Or selected because it's fresh and high quality.) Italy is a lousy place to drive. (Unless you get so far away from everyone that you have a clear road to yourself -- every car show in history, basically.) But it's a great place for doing everything else.

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Venice is very much a walking and wandering city. Walking includes a number of steps. Most bridges over a canal have steps going up and down. Rick Steve’s has an audio guided tour of the Grand Canal that can be downloaded. It is designed for a ride down the Grand Canal on a vaporetto ( a public waterbus) and best enjoyed sitting up front and listening through pods or headphones. A vaporetto can be very crowded though and you can end up standing for the ride. In that case, wait for the next to come along being closer to the front of the line for boarding.

Every one should arrive at their hotel via a private water taxi from the airport on their first visit to Venice. Picture those beautiful wooden speed boats from the movies with you two standing at the windshield! You’ll feel like George Clooney and Johnny Depp! :cool: :cool:

We had a fabulous registered local tour guide named Louisella Romeo. We did a small group tour of St Mark’s Square/ Church and the Doge’s Palace with her. That was 2015 but I see she’s still on seevenice.it. Email l.romeo@seevenice.it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Venice is very much a walking and wandering city. Walking includes a number of steps. Most bridges over a canal have steps going up and down. Rick Steve’s has an audio guided tour of the Grand Canal that can be downloaded. It is designed for a ride down the Grand Canal on a vaporetto ( a public waterbus) and best enjoyed sitting up front and listening through pods or headphones. A vaporetto can be very crowded though and you can end up standing for the ride. In that case, wait for the next to come along being closer to the front of the line for boarding.

Every one should arrive at their hotel via a private water taxi from the airport on their first visit to Venice. Picture those beautiful wooden speed boats from the movies with you two standing at the windshield! You’ll feel like George Clooney and Johnny Depp! :cool: :cool:

We had a fabulous registered local tour guide named Louisella Romeo. We did a small group tour of St Mark’s Square/ Church and the Doge’s Palace with her. That was 2015 but I see she’s still on seevenice.it. Email l.romeo@seevenice.it.

Well, ok. But only if I get to be George Clooney. :D

Thanks, Glynda. Those are great ideas! I need to determine how many days we'll be in Italy, so I can count back to what dates to secure airfare. I can't commit to a tour date until I know where we'll be on which days. Same with train and hotel reservations.

Dave

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions that are not on the most visited list:

In Florence, by far, my favorite museum is the Galileo Science Museum.

In Venice, off the beaten path, the Peggy Guggenheim Museum. Fantastic collection of different painters through the ages.

(I might mention in reference to @Glynda post, when we stayed in Venice, George Clooney was staying at the same hotel as part of a film festival. Only got a short glimpse of him, but he was there.)

In Rome, you might consider an outing to the Tivoli Gardens (fantastic fountains) which are outside of Rome, but there are various ways to get there including some day tours. Also, nearby and could be part of the same outing would be a visit to the Villa Adriana. This was Hadrian's summer residence and has some marvels where he was ahead of his time. That might not be doable in your case (your reference to your husband) in that it involves quite a bit of walking.

I don't know what to say about the Sistine Chapel. It is totally marvelous, but I was part of a tour that was allowed in after hours to see it. There were only about ninety of us inside it with three guides (one for each of three groups). Duing regular hours, you can wait several hours to get in and it is shoulder to shoulder people crammed together. Under those conditions, I am not sure it is worth it.

Given a choice, I would go to the Villa Borghese instead. The paintings and statues there are breath taking. I am a bit fuzzy on the details but you can check it out on the net. There is a service(not too expensive) where someone will stand in line, get tickets for you, and then meet you in front of the museum and give you the tickets. Without the service, you would have to go early in the morning and perhaps end up with tickets for entry hours late.

Good luck.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Vatican is one of the most impressive structures ever created by humans. And it's filled with some of the most amazing art ever created by humans. And papal history is a very, very large subset of western civilization.

Out of all the things to see in Rome, the Vatican is #1 on my list. And I'm not a Christian, let alone Catholic.
I agree.. the Vatican is outstanding religion aside. A must. I also enjoyed the gardens around there and throughout Rome. Of course the Colusseum , Pantheon Spanish steps.. what about a Tuk tuk ? My mom is elderly and has limited mobility..you could whiz in and out of the smaller streets. The cobbles can be difficult

Florence is beautiful and much smaller. Hit the museums and see The David of course. The Duomo is impressive abd the Ponte De Vecchio to walk . I wish I had more current places to stay for you..many were small band b.

Venice...take the water taxis around and splurge on a Gondola... its memorable. We did trains which are frequent from each city. Another beauty is Milan and Bologna if you have time. Have fun!!!

ABCTravels

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
By far my favorite hotel in Florence is Grand Hotel Baglioni, which is almost directly across the street from the main train station. It has a spectacular roof top terrace which is the perfect place to sit and relax at night after the sun goes down. You'll feel like you can reach out and touch the Duomo from there. Breakfast room also has a lovely view. This super close to every single major thing you want to do in Florence and taxi's are plentiful in the area.

On each trip to Rome I've stayed in different places but all very close to the Trevi Fountain, which made it easy to get around. The fountain is a nice place to sit at night, after the sunsets, and relax.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Well, ok. But only if I get to be George Clooney. :D

Thanks, Glynda. Those are great ideas! I need to determine how many days we'll be in Italy, so I can count back to what dates to secure airfare. I can't commit to a tour date until I know where we'll be on which days. Same with train and hotel reservations.

I'd commit to a block of time. And don't make many reservations -- if any. What if you have four days booked for Rome and decide you don't like it? Or you have two for Siena and learn you'd like to move there permanently? I never travel there with anything more permanent than our first night/week (depending on how we are traveling).

The absolute worst way to see Italy is to move up or down the country, checking in and out of hotels the entire way. Italy is only the size of California. And while it's possible to see most of the country in one trip -- starting in Bolzano and ending at Palermo, for instance -- most people only want to see a few regions. So now we've moved from an area the size of California to an area the size of south Florida -- with perhaps some transit to get from the Veneto to Tuscany. (Usually skipping right over Parma, the best food destination on the planet.)

Instead, stay in one central location to what you want to see -- unpack once. And then easy, short, inexpensive day trips. That way you're not CONSTANTLY carrying all your bags. Tuscany is especially well suited for this. Get an AirBnb near a rail station and you're good to go for weeks or even MONTHS. I could spend years there and not see if all. The only reason I don't live in central Italy is because I like Hawaii more. If you get an AirBnb near a rail station in a small town in Tuscany, you have a much better chance of enjoying yourself. You'll have the entire town to yourselves, except during the afternoon. You might even find a restaurant you like and instead of spending one evening there, spend 10. My wife and I have a few of those. We've had the entire spring/fall menu because we ate there so often and tried something different each time. (And then halfway through our meal, we get up and swap seats.)

Italy by rail is relaxing (unlike Italy by road). The central station is usually in the best part of town, where all the sights are (except in Venice, which is on one end of the city and most of the sights are on the other end). Rome is the best example. Get off the train and you're in the middle of the Roman Forum. Doesn't get any better than that. Pack light enough, and you can go exploring straight out of the train station.

As for Venice, some of the best days of our lives were spent there. But keep in mind that the number of actual Venetians living in Venice has dwindled to around 50,000 and decreases by around 1,000 each year. Like Key West, Venice is no longer a real working, thriving city -- just a caricature of itself. It's still possible to find a decent meal that isn't a tourist restaurant. But it becomes harder every year. I get around this by visiting the Rialto fish market and taking my purchases to a nearby stall/restaurant to have them prepare it.

While I agree everyone should see Venice, I prefer Trieste. Not as much to see. Loads more to do. Same basic vibe, minus about 5 million tourists.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple of suggestions that are not on the most visited list:

In Florence, by far, my favorite museum is the Galileo Science Museum.

In Venice, off the beaten path, the Peggy Guggenheim Museum. Fantastic collection of different painters through the ages.

(I might mention in reference to @Glynda post, when we stayed in Venice, George Clooney was staying at the same hotel as part of a film festival. Only got a short glimpse of him, but he was there.)

In Rome, you might consider an outing to the Tivoli Gardens (fantastic fountains) which are outside of Rome, but there are various ways to get there including some day tours. Also, nearby and could be part of the same outing would be a visit to the Villa Adriana. This was Hadrian's summer residence and has some marvels where he was ahead of his time. That might not be doable in your case (your reference to your husband) in that it involves quite a bit of walking.

I don't know what to say about the Sistine Chapel. It is totally marvelous, but I was part of a tour that was allowed in after hours to see it. There were only about ninety of us inside it with three guides (one for each of three groups). Duing regular hours, you can wait several hours to get in and it is shoulder to shoulder people crammed together. Under those conditions, I am not sure it is worth it.

Given a choice, I would go to the Villa Borghese instead. The paintings and statues there are breath taking. I am a bit fuzzy on the details but you can check it out on the net. There is a service(not too expensive) where someone will stand in line, get tickets for you, and then meet you in front of the museum and give you the tickets. Without the service, you would have to go early in the morning and perhaps end up with tickets for entry hours late.

Good luck.
I loved the Sistine chapel..would recommend.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd commit to a block of time. And don't make many reservations -- if any. What if you have four days booked for Rome and decide you don't like it? Or you have two for Siena and learn you'd like to move there permanently? I never travel there with anything more permanent than our first night/week (depending on how we are traveling).

Glynda: I can't agree with that given the numbers traveling to Italy's most popular cities now. Times have changed. I wouldn't want to get there and then start hunting a hotel and tickets to attractions that very well could be sold out.If I thought I might want to move on earlier, then reservations that can be cancelled. I don't want to study once I get there. I want to be present int the moment with a plan that also includes free time. Restaurants, I generally don't book as often the best ones in Italy are the ones you stumble upon away from the most touristy areas.

Last edited:

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
I know Siena is not on your agenda, but we attended a hands on cooking class that was one of the highlights of our trip.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
While we were staying in Naples, we did a day trip on our own to Pompeii and Herculaneum. FWIW, they are both worth visiting, though Herculaneum requires MUCH less walking as it’s compact, especially compared to Pompeii. There’s so much to see there! You will find that there’s too much walking required at Pompeii for you to be comfortable, so plan accordingly… and Herculaneum offers a great option.

Also, the (original) Getty Museum in Pacific Palisades replicated the Villa of the Papyri as part of the museum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I’ve never been to Italy, but I know from others who have that the 2 things you shouldn’t miss in Rome is the Vatican and the Pantheon.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
@Glynda I can't quote the relevant portion because you have it all coming from me.

I can, and do, still travel this way -- seat of my pants, no reservations, make it up as I go. This is how my wife and I prefer it. We traveled this way before phones and easy internet connectivity. And on our last trip to Italy, we had to resort to the old way -- we arrived in our favorite town just in time to learn that our AirBnB cancelled on us. We got a replacement, but we were stuck with one night with nowhere to stay.

So we did it old school -- She sat in the station with all the bags and I speed walked from hotel to hotel until I found one I liked. Then I returned and collected her.

We traveled this way for more than a decade -- and I did it alone prior to marriage with my backpack. Now it's easy. We can book a place while on the train heading there. We can stop at a station, say, "gee, this is lovely," and get out and have a room in a matter of minutes. We also never travel in high season. Because the crowds are simply too much. I want a terrace, some cheese, and a glass of wine. Not flippin' Mardi Gras.

But don't confuse make it up as you go with "no plans." We have plans. We just don't have a timetable. Timetables suck. Timetables are no-fun things for no-fun people so they can go someplace and have no fun. I see people traveling this way and I thank Zeus that I'm not with them. Or thank Hera. Either works. Like Dwight Eisenhower, I find plans to be useless. But I find the act of planning to be indispensable. Rail strike? Heat wave? Drought? Zombie apocalypse? No problems. I can head someplace else. I know which websites sell the tickets online so I don't have to wait. I know where the tourist zones are so I can avoid them. I have a list, often printed, with the name, address, phone and hours of everything that interests us for miles in every direction. And we pack so light that we can carry everything from place to place -- even through the Vatican (they won't let you, but we could if we had to). If I'm not comfortable taking my pack up the side of a mountain, I lighten my load until I am.

Frankly, I see how most people travel and I want no part of it. They aren't having any fun. They're hot, tired, stressed-out, and annoyed. They spent all that money and didn't enjoy themselves. I don't see any point to that.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
I’ve never been to Italy, but I know from others who have that the 2 things you shouldn’t miss in Rome is the Vatican and the Pantheon.

You can totally skip the Pantheon. It's an interesting building -- but empty. I would absolutely put a red line through that if my time was limited.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 16 wks; Maui Schooner, 1 EOY Wk; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
@Glynda I can't quote the relevant portion because you have it all coming from me.

I can, and do, still travel this way -- seat of my pants, no reservations, make it up as I go. This is how my wife and I prefer it. We traveled this way before phones and easy internet connectivity. And on our last trip to Italy, we had to resort to the old way -- we arrived in our favorite town just in time to learn that our AirBnB cancelled on us. We got a replacement, but we were stuck with one night with nowhere to stay.

So we did it old school -- She sat in the station with all the bags and I speed walked from hotel to hotel until I found one I liked. Then I returned and collected her.

We traveled this way for more than a decade -- and I did it alone prior to marriage with my backpack. Now it's easy. We can book a place while on the train heading there. We can stop at a station, say, "gee, this is lovely," and get out and have a room in a matter of minutes. We also never travel in high season. Because the crowds are simply too much. I want a terrace, some cheese, and a glass of wine. Not flippin' Mardi Gras.

But don't confuse make it up as you go with "no plans." We have plans. We just don't have a timetable. Timetables suck. Timetables are no-fun things for no-fun people so they can go someplace and have no fun. I see people traveling this way and I thank Zeus that I'm not with them. Or thank Hera. Either works. Like Dwight Eisenhower, I find plans to be useless. But I find the act of planning to be indispensable. Rail strike? Heat wave? Drought? Zombie apocalypse? No problems. I can head someplace else. I know which websites sell the tickets online so I don't have to wait. I know where the tourist zones are so I can avoid them. I have a list, often printed, with the name, address, phone and hours of everything that interests us for miles in every direction. And we pack so light that we can carry everything from place to place -- even through the Vatican (they won't let you, but we could if we had to). If I'm not comfortable taking my pack up the side of a mountain, I lighten my load until I am.

Frankly, I see how most people travel and I want no part of it. They aren't having any fun. They're hot, tired, stressed-out, and annoyed. They spent all that money and didn't enjoy themselves. I don't see any point to that.
Here we go, more judgement on how other people travel. If they don't travel like you they are miserable and can't be having any fun.:rolleyes:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can totally skip the Pantheon. It's an interesting building -- but empty. I would absolutely put a red line through that if my time was limited.
+1. After many trips to Rome, Pantheon is just as interesting as the D.C. Metro. Same architecture.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Here we go, more judgement on how other people travel. If they don't travel like you they are miserable and can't be having any fun.:rolleyes:

No, they're bickering in the station, red-faced, and clearly [urinated]-off. Heated arguments about tardiness and costs. A train is late and they lose their minds because if they don't make that connection, the rest of the day is shot. You can go to any popular place in Europe and see this on full display.