• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Navy to Evacuate USS Theodore Roosevelt Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

Brett

Reaction score
If true, this totally changes my thinking on this matter. Shame on Navy leadership and Bravo Zulu to CAPT Crozier.

Thanks for posting.

We won't know for sure completely until crew members and other officers have been interviewed and their comments "unclassified"

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish someone could looks at the total numbers of officers that have retired in the past the thirty (30); you may surprise?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
My father was an air force officer, and I grew up on air bases, so I do understand chain-of-command. However, the last time I checked the United States Navy, and the rest of the US military, are there to serve the people. Since when does not having specific military service abrogate the right of any American citizen to being entitled to the freedom of speech right to make commentary? From your comments I assume you are, or were, a member of the armed services. If so, I thank you for your service, but based on your criteria, I would have to expect you in future to have no comments or opinions on any topic in which you have no direct experience. Quite frankly, that would be absurd, but that appears to be what you are suggesting.

In an administration where there has been some previous interference in the chain-of-command, in the opposite direction, because it didn't suit their "messaging" of the day, I am going to give CAPT Crozier the benefit of the doubt until the formal inquiry is over. Quite frankly, IMO the abrupt removal of an experienced CO in the midst of a major issue on his ship shows poor leadership on the part of the Navy. Blind obedience to chain-of-command "no matter what" is what led to the Nuremberg trials, the resulting principles of which the US was a strong proponent.

The issue is not one's right to speak. The issue is whether the person speaks with authority, whether the speech comes from experience.

Yes, I'm a retired Naval officer.

Last edited:

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It looks like we have more than one idiot on our hands.
I nominate the Acting Navy Secretary as the Captain's caretaker.
Or perhaps Moldy [sic] should be "retired."

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My opinion about all of this:

This story is getting worse by the minute. I don't know if anybody can armchair quarterback what happened, based on hearsay and speculation of "other sources." Regardless of what the Skipper did to get his ship the attention it needed, it needs to be pointed out that he was also positive for Covid-19. How many others in the wardroom were positive, and how many have yet to develop symptoms? How many were already sick? I've heard more than 100 ships' company have the virus - how many more will soon have it? I can see how that would tend to freak anybody out, fearing the entire ship would be sidelined due to the virus. When you're isolated on a ship clear across the world from home, with little to no current information about this outbreak, and you're not getting the support you need from the Chain of Command, it'd be pretty easy to get more than a little freaked out. I'd suggest everybody cut the guy a little slack, since we don't have all the facts. The whole story may eventually come out.

But then, to have the Acting SECNAV call him names while addressing the crew? Seriously? This is the same crew who were obviously VERY loyal to him, (based on the departure video I've seen), and who no doubt are just as freaked out as he was? Yeah, that's a brilliant move, SECNAV. Let's demoralize the crew even more, while they feel trapped aboard a ship with a killer virus running through the ranks. Has anybody on the ship died from it yet? What a great way to get everybody to work even harder. (NOT.) To quote a commonly used expression from my Navy days, "Liberty is cancelled until morale improves." Just f'ing brilliant.

Not a great way to get people to continue their enlistments.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

Dave

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a great way to get people to continue their enlistments.
Thank you, Dave. Or new enlistments. Exactly what I've been thinking during this entire sorry episode, and the fruit it will bear.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Acting Navy Secretary calls ousted captain stupid in address to crew! He sounds like a class act.

Harry
Accurate, unbiased headline for those that care about accuracy and bias:
Acting Navy secretary says aircraft carrier captain who was relieved of duty was "naive or stupid"

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To command a nuclear aircraft carrier, A Captain can be naive or stupid. IMHO.
You must be selected to command a floating mass destruction warship called an aircraft. Many are trained but only a few are selected. IMO.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Thank you, Dave. Or new enlistments. Exactly what I've been thinking during this entire sorry episode, and the fruit it will bear.

I’ve never served in the Navy so I’ll defer to Dave on what this means for that crew and the Navy in general. My question is, aren’t episodes like this inevitable when the civilian leadership fears their chain of command more than they fear our country’s enemies? From multiple reports, Captain Crozier made several requests to have the people who had tested positive removed from the ship. No action was taken by his superiors. Why? What reason could they possibly have not to act on such a request? I can only think of two; either they didn’t think it was serious that so many on the ship had covid-19, or they were afraid of something. Or someone. Who would be embarrassed and/or angry if the story became known? It’s interesting to me that the ill sailors were removed from the ship within about 24 hours of the story hitting the media. Why? Because they should have been. It was obvious they shouldn’t be left on the ship with the rest of the crew. And, then within a couple of days the Captain is fired and called stupid and/or insubordinate by the Navy Secretary for going around the chain of command. What, or who, is he afraid of that he would fire the Captain for trying to protect his crew and his ship?

This is an article from The Navy Times about the incident.

Harry

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Acting Navy Sec. Modly resigns after remarks
about carrier captain who raised COVID-19
alarm

Richard

Brett

Reaction score
Acting Navy Sec. Modly resigns after remarks
about carrier captain who raised COVID-19
alarm

Richard

There will be another person soon to "act" as a Navy Secretary

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's hoping the next Acting SECNAV will ACT like the responsible person the position warrants.

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Former acting Navy secretary's trip to Guam, which led to his resignation, cost almost a quarter of a million dollars.

Richard

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
That trip was almost as much as my trip to Europe (now cancelled).
<satire>

One would hope that peep in high office would act more like adults.
But I guess that's too much to ask.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Former acting Navy secretary's trip to Guam, which led to his resignation, cost almost a quarter of a million dollars.

Richard

one trip cost $250,000 ? ..... expensive air travel !

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Brett

Reaction score

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
it's getting similar to the cruise ships .... :(

It would surprise me to learn that this is the only US Navy ship with C19. It just may be the only one with a Captain willing to piss off DC to save his crew. From where I sit, the guy deserves a medal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brett

Reaction score
WSJ is reporting today:

"The captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt whose plea for help to battle a coronavirus outbreak on the ship led to his removal could be reinstated to his job as part of the outcome of an investigation, the Navy’s top admiral said Thursday"