• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Advice to Marriott Vacation Club ... Timeshare Traveler Episode 201

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue with MVC point system is that prime season requires very high points which makes it not cost effective. Week ownership and II trump points booking almost always, except for low season. For instance, I just used a studio side of DSV 1 to book a Newport Coast Christmas week in II. I value the studio as about $800, plus $119 in size upgrade with my platinum membership. Let's round that to $1K. If I use points to book, it costs about $4K in maintenance fees.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reservations using points and trading weeks into II are two different sides of the same coin with a number of things in common. They both are highly dependent on week owners to create inventory for platinum and gold season. They both offer a 13 month advantage though the points advantage is significant. They both rely on a contentious system where everyone wants that little advantage. They both require hard work and flexibility to be successful. You can be successful with either but you will be more successful with both.

The issue with MVC point system is that prime season requires very high points which makes it not cost effective. Week ownership and II trump points booking almost always, except for low season. For instance, I just used a studio side of DSV 1 to book a Newport Coast Christmas week in II. I value the studio as about $800, plus $119 in size upgrade with my platinum membership. Let's round that to $1K. If I use points to book, it costs about $4K in maintenance fees.
I agree with both of these posts to a degree but I do think there's more to it than that. Points have a different type of flexibility than exchanges plus the odds of getting a high demand reservation is much higher with points than with weeks. You also know more where you stand with points because if you don't get the reservation early on, you can judge that you are less likely to get that reservation. Both have wait list options and uncertainty after that. IMO they fit together like a puzzle. I use owned weeks, points and exchanges each to their strength. I also make reservations (both weeks and points) and put in exchange requests to replace or supplement those. For example, for a 3 week HI trip (15 people) a few years ago I replaced a total of 5 reservations with exchanges that were made with points (4 weeks) and owned (1week). I ended up with 2 units on Kauai on points plus 1 exchange, a 1 BR exchange on Maui and a combination of 1 & 2 BR exchanges for Oahu on exhanges. Ultimately I was able to guarantee my trip with owned weeks and points AND have the cheaper option of exchanges.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with both of these posts to a degree but I do think there's more to it than that. Points have a different type of flexibility than exchanges plus the odds of getting a high demand reservation is much higher with points than with weeks. You also know more where you stand with points because if you don't get the reservation early on, you can judge that you are less likely to get that reservation. Both have wait list options and uncertainty after that. IMO they fit together like a puzzle. I use owned weeks, points and exchanges each to their strength. I also make reservations (both weeks and points) and put in exchange requests to replace or supplement those. For example, for a 3 week HI trip (15 people) a few years ago I replaced a total of 5 reservations with exchanges that were made with points (4 weeks) and owned (1week). I ended up with 2 units on Kauai on points plus 1 exchange, a 1 BR exchange on Maui and a combination of 1 & 2 BR exchanges for Oahu on exhanges. Ultimately I was able to guarantee my trip with owned weeks and points AND have the cheaper option of exchanges.
I agree with you. We are generally flexible and don't travel with large groups so II really works for us. The one with a bit of heartburn for us is trying to book Heritage Club. I tried for several weeks to book a March/April check-in (dates are flexible) through MVC points system, right at 6am Pacific Time and to no avail. In II, there were some Dec to Feb deposits. In the end we gave up.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That works great for people that have lots of weeks and/or points. But your, and my, ownership is not typical. If we consider the more average owner of perhaps just 2,500-3,000 points or one deeded lock off week, IMO the lock off deeded week is far superior.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That works great for people that have lots of weeks and/or points. But your, and my, ownership is not typical. If we consider the more average owner of perhaps just 2,500-3,000 points or one deeded lock off week, IMO the lock off deeded week is far superior.
II exchanges and owning a week directly will certainly give a better dollar value done "correctly" but it may or may not give a better experience. Ultimately it comes down to understanding the system (Weeks, Points & II) as well was one's personal situation and preferences. It does highlight the flexibility of volume and should give one pause before jumping in with a minimal volume commitment.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
II exchanges and owning a week directly will certainly give a better dollar value done "correctly" but it may or may not give a better experience. Ultimately it comes down to understanding the system (Weeks, Points & II) as well was one's personal situation and preferences. It does highlight the flexibility of volume and should give one pause before jumping in with a minimal volume commitment.

Yes. For us, it's not about the dollar "value" of Points vs. II exchanges. It's about the experience. Points booking is so much more straightforward. Go online at the right time and book. With II exchanges, you have the frustrating deposit and wait process, and all of the uncertainty of "when will my search match, if at all, and for what dates?" Our last II trade was in 2016 or 2017. Unless something weird happens and a deposit/trade is our only usage option, I can't see us ever using II again. Many people feel differently, obviously, but we've never been bargain or overly maximum value-focused in our travel. Ease and convenience at a "reasonable" value is our goal.

Red elephant

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ
Harborside
Nanea
SDO
SVV
SBP
Yes. For us, it's not about the dollar "value" of Points vs. II exchanges. It's about the experience. Points booking is so much more straightforward. Go online at the right time and book. With II exchanges, you have the frustrating deposit and wait process, and all of the uncertainty of "when will my search match, if at all, and for what dates?" Our last II trade was in 2016 or 2017. Unless something weird happens and a deposit/trade is our only usage option, I can't see us ever using II again. Many people feel differently, obviously, but we've never been bargain or overly maximum value-focused in our travel. Ease and convenience at a "reasonable" value is our goal.
I agree with this that’s why I buy where I want to go and use points for the rest since my first purchases are enrolled. However, I do enjoy exchanging my MGC. I was able to get Newport for June with my MGC studio and cancelled the points reservation which was a bit pricey. The one bedroom got me into Skitts December so interval does have its uses for something’s.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love trading. It’s like a game to me to see what I can get. It would be nice to also have the flexibility to use points sometimes to be able to book something other than 7-days; and I would love to have my weeks enrolled to save on the extra fees- but just can’t bite the bullet on the thousands and thousands required to do it!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It does highlight the flexibility of volume and should give one pause before jumping in with a minimal volume commitment.
Let me add that trying to get into timeshares with a very low end purchase is almost always a big mistake. From what I've seen, it's common for those new to the system to either try to go to low/cheap or to the other extreme and overbuy by a large amount. I'd say that for those new, a minimal purchase is somewhere around a 2 BR yearly for most situations. I can think of some exceptions for those that are experienced and well informed but probably not for the novice. And if budget is the reason for trying to go super small, that's a person who likely should not be buying at all. These opinions assume one is well informed and well aware of resale options.

I love trading. It’s like a game to me to see what I can get. It would be nice to also have the flexibility to use points sometimes to be able to book something other than 7-days; and I would love to have my weeks enrolled to save on the extra fees- but just can’t bite the bullet on the thousands and thousands required to do it!
I agree that I do enjoy the chase but not so much as to base my entire vacation approach on the whims of II.

mjfehl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
This may have more to do with "people who go to the owners' social" than it does "people who own timeshare". According to the most recent quarterly investor slide deck, 60% of first-time buyers in 2023 were Gen X or younger (so late 50s at the oldest)

I would say this exactly. We bought in our 20's, now mid-40s, and never go to the owners social or a presentation. My in-laws, in their 70s, never miss one. Part of the reason is that MVC doesn't want kids at these, but then offers no childcare options. Our most recent trip we even considered the presentation, but they wanted us to pay for the kids club for the day. If we do that, there is no benefit to us at all. So we don't go.