• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC DP owner looking at buying more points

Nattymano

Reaction score
We are new-ish Marriott vacation club point owners, prior to the pandemic. I have been a immersing myself in all the forums and groups I can to try and overcome The steep learning curve. After transferring points to II and booking trips through Marriott it is clear that I need to purchase about 3000 more points on resale to get the size and season we will need year over a year while our kids are younger. That said I am reading that with Marriotts FROR they are buying back about 80% of points on the resale market at the end of closing deals. Is this accurate? When you are able to close a deal, will Marriott charge established owners all the fees I am reading that they charge to enroll brand new members? Lastly, will Marriott consolidate maintenance dues if you have two existing point package purchases?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We are new-ish Marriott vacation club point owners, prior to the pandemic. I have been a immersing myself in all the forums and groups I can to try and overcome The steep learning curve. After transferring points to II and booking trips through Marriott it is clear that I need to purchase about 3000 more points on resale to get the size and season we will need year over a year while our kids are younger. That said I am reading that with Marriotts FROR they are buying back about 80% of points on the resale market at the end of closing deals. Is this accurate? When you are able to close a deal, will Marriott charge established owners all the fees I am reading that they charge to enroll brand new members? Lastly, will Marriott consolidate maintenance dues if you have two existing point package purchases?
I would say that 80% is highly inflated. If you are an already established Trust point owner, the only fee you save is the $300 owner education fee. You will still need to pay the $3 per point initiation fee.

Nattymano

Reaction score
I would say that 80% is highly inflated. If you are an already established Trust point owner, the only fee you save is the $300 owner education fee. You will still need to pay the $3 per point initiation fee.

thx! So if I bought 3000 points resale I would have to pay $3/point to initiate after I buy them resale when I’m already an owner? So 9000 dollars on top of maybe $6k? What makes that even worth while then?

Bill4728

Reaction score
If already a points owner (or the owner of an enrolled week), OP can rent additional points from other owners for about the same price as the maintenance fee on an "as needed" basis. See https://vacationpointexchange.com/
As Vacationtime said " OP can rent additional points from other owners for about the same price as the maintenance fee " I agree A current MVC point owner can almost always rent points from a current owner for less than the MFs without having to buy points which lock you into those points forever.
I pay $0.62 /pt on my trust pts BUT only $0.55 /pt on my pts from converting my week into pts So if I want to rent some pts to another owner, I'll charge about $0.60 /pt because I'm not renting pts to make money just getting rid of pts I can't use for my cost.

Hope this helps

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Renting points is the most cost effective, but if buying Trust points resale, vs a Aruba, etc., use this calculator to see your total.

Find a deal you like, e.g., $2/point. If you lose it to ROFR, just do another at $2.25, and continue until one gets through. ROFR is not consistent but $2.25-3 seems to pass periodically. Might watch ROFR.net for sale reports.

Nattymano

Reaction score
Renting points is the most cost effective, but if buying Trust points resale, vs a Aruba, etc., use this calculator to see your total.

Find a deal you like, e.g., $2/point. If you lose it to ROFR, just do another at $2.25, and continue until one gets through. ROFR is not consistent but $2.25-3 seems to pass periodically. Might watch ROFR.net for sale reports.
Very helpful thank you. Looks like points are not passing often. To make sure I understand correctly, if I buy a 2bdrm floating week resale in high season then I could convert that week to points during the year to combine with my current points and book that way too?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Not unless you bought even more points from Marriott to make your week eligible to covert to points.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very helpful thank you. Looks like points are not passing often. To make sure I understand correctly, if I buy a 2bdrm floating week resale in high season then I could convert that week to points during the year to combine with my current points and book that way too?
Points are passing. You just need to work with an experienced broker who know what they are doing to get ROFR passed.
Resale points can become regular points by paying the junk fee.
Resale weeks are not eligible to convert to points unless they are brought into they system. Usually requires purchase of a large amount of points at cost ($9-10 if you work them a while).

Nattymano

Reaction score
Points are passing. You just need to work with an experienced broker who know what they are doing to get ROFR passed.
Resale points can become regular points by paying the junk fee.
Resale weeks are not eligible to convert to points unless they are brought into they system. Usually requires purchase of a large amount of points at cost ($9-10 if you work them a while).
Any suggestions or reference to how to find a reputable broker? Also how to find reputable sources for renting/transferring points from other owners?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions or reference to how to find a reputable broker? Also how to find reputable sources for renting/transferring points from other owners?

You can buy points from anyone whom you find that are advertising them. The KEY is to use someone competent who won't scam you. With that said, make an agreement with the seller to use YOUR closing agent who won't turn over the funds until you have the points.

Suggest you use LT Transfers. Here is their website below:

www.LTTransfers.com

Contact them and have them give you a quote for their services.

Bill4728

Reaction score
as Vacationtime suggested https://vacationpointexchange.com/ is a well known and dependable website for renting MVC points
If already a points owner (or the owner of an enrolled week), OP can rent additional points from other owners for about the same price as the maintenance fee on an "as needed" basis. See https://vacationpointexchange.com/