• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[merged]Westin Desert Willow (Palm Desert, Calif) opening March 2010

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kristen: Do you know the sizes of both one bedrooms? TIA

I'm not Kristen, but the floor plan link is earlier in this thread (600 & 820 square feet on the 1BR & 1BR Premium respectively).

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kristen-

Thanks for posting the pics - would love to see some shots of the exterior & pool if you are up for it.

Have a great trip!

Me too! If you get a chance, could you post a few pix of the outside (like the pool) and the slide! My 5yo would be really bummed if she didn't make the height. Pretty silly since she could swim since she was 2.

Katherine

kristencostello

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pictures of the pool and outside areas tomorrow.

The slide height requirement is 48 inches. Even after being here for almost a week, the lifeguards are not budging on the height requirement. We went over to WMH today so that my two youngest daughters could go down the slide. At WMH, the lifeguards allow children shorter than 48 inches to ride in the lap of an adult or taller child.

WDW also uses pool towel cards. Each card is equal to two towels.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pictures of the pool and outside areas tomorrow.

The slide height requirement is 48 inches. Even after being here for almost a week, the lifeguards are not budging on the height requirement. We went over to WMH today so that my two youngest daughters could go down the slide. At WMH, the lifeguards allow children shorter than 48 inches to ride in the lap of an adult or taller child.

48 inches??? That's the height requirement of California Screaming, the huge roller coaster at Disneyland!!!! GImme a break. :rolleyes:

No way are we booking a stay there till my youngest is 48". She would never forgive me for not allowing her to get on the slide the whole week! :(

Maybe in 2-3 years we'll be there. Thanks for letting me know about this key bit of information!

katherine

josh2268

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the pictures!! It's great to finally see what the resort looks like. I was trying to compare the rendered pictures to the actual ones. In your opinion does the pool area have this same kind of feel as shown here on svo website?

http://www.starwoodvacationownership.com/images/lightbox/resorts/22/ext_001.jpg

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. That slide is HUGE. I can almost see why the height requirement is enforced....

The pool area looks really barren. Are there trees planted that have not matured yet? The website drawings show lots of greenery and a more tropical feel. I only see concrete. :shrug:

Katherine

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pool area looks really barren. Are there trees planted that have not matured yet? The website drawings show lots of greenery and a more tropical feel. I only see concrete. :shrug:Katherine

My feelings exactly. Those darn architectural renderings always look SOOOO inviting.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
ahem - it takes a while to grow foliage...
thanks for the pics

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
ahem - it takes a while to grow foliage...
thanks for the pics

Well, yeah, depending on how large of plant stock you start with, that is obviously true. It would also be easier for the plants to grow in if they are actually there. I'm just not seeing many trees or planters in the photos. I realize they just opened, so I'm sure that the landscaping is still a work in progress.

There is just a huge difference if you compare the rendering with Kristin's pool photo that was taken at a similar angle. Are the background buildings & courtyard in the rendering part of a phase 2 @ WDW?

Also wondering how the WMH pools compare to WDW?

Last edited:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is our pix of the WMH pool

This is only part of the pool. Somehow I don't think I managed to take a pix of the whole pool area, which is about twice the size of this. It's very nice and VERY lush.

0911_IMG_8901_1589.jpg

DisneyDerek

Reaction score
Here are some pictures (http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae327/kristencostello/Westin Desert Willows/?albumview=slideshow). Overall, WDW is very nice and we will probably come back here again.

Kristen, ditto on the thanks for the photos. I just booked a family stay in mid-May and haven't seen too many reviews of WDW although I have co-workers who have bought there and plan to stay there soon. As WMH owners, I was torn between booking something that we know and love but is tired an shows its years vs. something new an unproven. The only other review I've seen on Tripadvisor was not too favorable. I still have 24 hrs to switch my reservation back to WMH but may take the leap based on your photos.:whoopie:

TDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's some additional insight on WDW - I'm here right now with my family.

I find the TripAdvisor review that was cited to be overly harsh and don't agree with it. My guess is that this reviewer was looking for more of a luxury hotel style, not what is typically found in villas. For those who know Westin villas, the units at WDW are similar or better to those at other SVN resorts.

We have a 2BR L/O this week and our assessment is that the new design of the small side is much improved over the style at places such as WMH and WKV. There is better light due to windows in the living room, a better kitchenette (full refrigerator), larger dining table. The "premium" side is not as spacious as older units, but the space that's missing was largely wasted space. Current design is more efficient. The only thing we question mildly is how the fireplace sticks out into the living area more than what we've seen elsewhere.

The landscaping issue is, as suggested, due to a lack of maturity. You can see in the pictures posted that the palm trees have not had a chance to fill out yet. It appears that much of the landscaping has just been planted since opening. When you are here, you can see lots of shrubbery that has just been planted - it will grow in.

There was a question about buildings in the horizon in the rendering - that view shows buildings that will be in a future phase, so they have not yet been built. However, we were told today that those particular buildings will be in the final phase. The next phase, which is now selling, will be at the far end of the property and then the final phases will fill in between the current and 2nd phases.

If trying to decided between WMH and WDW, here's what I suggest people keep in mind:
  • Obviously, there is no hotel here, so the overall amenities of the property are greater at WMH. The scale of the resort is greater at WMH.
  • The restaurant on site is currently only open until 5 pm, presumably because only 4 buildings are open and thus the number of guests is relatively small. I'm sure they are going to catch some flack for this until the hours are expanded. I haven't walked over to the clubhouse for the golf course yet (its a bit of a walk), so I don't know if there is a restaurant over there that would be open later - I would imagine there is.
  • ditto for the onsite marketplace - its somewhat limited right now, likley because number of guests is small.
  • I was at WMH 2 years ago and agree that the villas were in need of some updates. We were told today that WMH is in the midst of renovations and that about 1/2 of this is complete. I haven't see this for myself to confirm it.
  • For anyone who has been to WKV, WDW is/will be similar if you had just the villas and not the hotel. The reception area is not as spacious at WDW - it lacks the lounging areas. But there seem to be more outdoor relaxation/gathering areas at WDW.

Overall, we are finding WDW to be exactly what we would expect for a resort that has only been open about 2 months and expect that its "feel" will be enhanced with maturity. So far the staff has been very friendly, responsive and attentive. Amenities here that I don't recall at WMH are a Teen Room with pool and air hockey (both free), TV and bean bags. There is also a family lounge, again with TV, foosball table, etc. The workout facilities are larger here. There is no children's playground or putting greens at WDW - at least not yet. Most kids would likely prefer the pool at WDW over WMH because of the larger waterslide. At the pool this evening they did s'mores and set up a large inflatable screen to show a movie (it was "Up"), which my kids loved.

Overall, we are pleased and having a great time.

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully some summer weeks will show up in Interval Inventory.....I haven't
seen anything yet but I'm lookin'

DisneyDerek

Reaction score
Here's some additional insight on WDW - I'm here right now with my family.

I find the TripAdvisor review that was cited to be overly harsh and don't agree with it. My guess is that this reviewer was looking for more of a luxury hotel style, not what is typically found in villas. For those who know Westin villas, the units at WDW are similar or better to those at other SVN resorts.

We have a 2BR L/O this week and our assessment is that the new design of the small side is much improved over the style at places such as WMH and WKV. There is better light due to windows in the living room, a better kitchenette (full refrigerator), larger dining table. The "premium" side is not as spacious as older units, but the space that's missing was largely wasted space. Current design is more efficient. The only thing we question mildly is how the fireplace sticks out into the living area more than what we've seen elsewhere.

The landscaping issue is, as suggested, due to a lack of maturity. You can see in the pictures posted that the palm trees have not had a chance to fill out yet. It appears that much of the landscaping has just been planted since opening. When you are here, you can see lots of shrubbery that has just been planted - it will grow in.

There was a question about buildings in the horizon in the rendering - that view shows buildings that will be in a future phase, so they have not yet been built. However, we were told today that those particular buildings will be in the final phase. The next phase, which is now selling, will be at the far end of the property and then the final phases will fill in between the current and 2nd phases.

If trying to decided between WMH and WDW, here's what I suggest people keep in mind:
  • Obviously, there is no hotel here, so the overall amenities of the property are greater at WMH. The scale of the resort is greater at WMH.
  • The restaurant on site is currently only open until 5 pm, presumably because only 4 buildings are open and thus the number of guests is relatively small. I'm sure they are going to catch some flack for this until the hours are expanded. I haven't walked over to the clubhouse for the golf course yet (its a bit of a walk), so I don't know if there is a restaurant over there that would be open later - I would imagine there is.
  • ditto for the onsite marketplace - its somewhat limited right now, likley because number of guests is small.
  • I was at WMH 2 years ago and agree that the villas were in need of some updates. We were told today that WMH is in the midst of renovations and that about 1/2 of this is complete. I haven't see this for myself to confirm it.
  • For anyone who has been to WKV, WDW is/will be similar if you had just the villas and not the hotel. The reception area is not as spacious at WDW - it lacks the lounging areas. But there seem to be more outdoor relaxation/gathering areas at WDW.

Overall, we are finding WDW to be exactly what we would expect for a resort that has only been open about 2 months and expect that its "feel" will be enhanced with maturity. So far the staff has been very friendly, responsive and attentive. Amenities here that I don't recall at WMH are a Teen Room with pool and air hockey (both free), TV and bean bags. There is also a family lounge, again with TV, foosball table, etc. The workout facilities are larger here. There is no children's playground or putting greens at WDW - at least not yet. Most kids would likely prefer the pool at WDW over WMH because of the larger waterslide. At the pool this evening they did s'mores and set up a large inflatable screen to show a movie (it was "Up"), which my kids loved.

Overall, we are pleased and having a great time.
TDS, thanks for the detailed review. Based on my review of the photos, I surmised something similar (i.e., that the WDW would turn out nicer than WMH but seemed overall smaller in scale in terms of offerings than WKV - such as WKV's separate adult and kids pool areas). We kept our WDW stay in mid-May (and have a week in August) but am now debating about switching the August week to WKV which we love almost as much as WKOR (which we also own EOY).

Thanks again for the feedback.

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are few more reviews of the Westin Desert Willow ("WDW") available on tripadvisor. There are also a few new guest photos posted.

Check out the interior shot of the "living room" of a villa. (The one with the white purse on the floor on the left.) I've linked to it below:

living-room.jpg

(Actual guest photo of Westin Desert Willow living room)

I'm guessing SVO had a contest to see just how many different shades of beige, gray and brown they could shove into one room, and the designer of this room "won."

Also, did they really design the final room so that the table lamp and phone next to the sofa plug into those exposed outlets on the far wall? It would have cost SVO exactly zero more money to have placed those outlets in a more appropriate location. And don't even get me started about the window coverings and wall art, er and lack thereof in the final product. Ah well, maybe it's all a work in progress.

FWIW, here is the official SVO "artist rendering" of the WDW living room:

wes5653gr_85021_md.jpg

(SVO's "artist rendering" of the same living room . . . or is it? Both images are so similar to each other I'm having a hard time remembering which is which)

For now, WDW proudly stands rated as 22nd out of 23 hotels in Palm Desert. Take that Monta Vista Luxury Townhomes (No. 23 on Tripadvisor)! We got you beat. Well at least until someone submits an actual review of you that is, but a win's a win.

Didn’t SVO learn anything from the key note speaker at the recent ARDA conference that it used our hard earned cash to sponsor?

-nodge

Last edited:

calche

TUG Member
Reaction score

I can't believe they are rationing the towels at WDW. At WMH, we were in the East Villa pool during Easter week and there were plenty of towels, all the time, without any towel policeman. And, the pool was awesome - not crowded. :whoopie:

sherilah

TUG Member
Reaction score
After viewing the pics, I must say, I am going to call tomorrow and try and change an upcoming June reservation back to WMH. I love WMH....been there 4 times w/in the year. I wanted to try WDW, but would rather wait till it gets a little more umph (foliage)!

I will definitely follow all the future comments and reviews.

sheri

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow -- that room is depressing. What were they thinking? DeniseL's pictures of the new Maui decor couldn't be more different (or more pleasant).

Love the side-by-side dark wood cabinets! But, I'm not sure it's just the furniture either -- the shape itself is claustrophobic. I have painters coming Monday to fix water damage and seeing this picture has me seriously questioning my choice of a fairly dark beige for the great room -- rut ro!

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
the shape itself is claustrophobic.

Amen sister.

Someone should also call the Navy and ask if it is missing a grayish (or maybe it's brownish or beighish, hard to say without seeing it in natural light which isn't going to happen where it currently is) aircraft carrier shaped like a sofa. It doesn't look like there is even enough room to open it up into a bed let alone walk around it when it is open.

-nodge

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
nodge, ... Are you sure that picture of the smaller 1-br at WDW is representative? Taking an indoor picture with a wide-angle lens gives the same narrowing effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yuh47aYRPA

Also, the lead blast against WDW on tripadvisor was by someone from Oregon. Aren't you from Oregon, too? ... eom

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Desert Willow Pool Comparison

Here is a comparison between the actual and SVO "artist rendering" of the pools at the new Westin Desert Willow:

2-small-pools.jpg

Actual guest photograph of WDW pools

-Westin_Desert_Villas.jpg

SVO's "artist rendering" of those same pools.

It's clear, at least from my wide-angle perspective view, that SVO envisioned the "bridge" between the two pools to be a much more spectacular focal point than what it actually built.

I think mature landscaping will help things at WDW, but no matter how you slice it, the pool area actually built by SVO will always be swimming in a sea of un-inspired, cost-cutting, concrete.

-nodge

Last edited:

josh2268

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's clear, at least from my wide-angle perspective view, that SVO envisioned the "bridge" between the two pools to be a much more spectacular focal point than what it actually built.

Comparing the actual pool picture, I think this was the intended rendering

ext_001.jpg