• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[merged]Westin Desert Willow (Palm Desert, Calif) opening March 2010

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the knowledgeable folks at MyStarCentral.com . . . .

Reserve Your Spot at a Desert Oasis Today

Would you like to visit one of the newest Starwood Vacation Network resorts? The Westin Desert Willow Villas, Palm Desert in California is now accepting Starwood Vacation Network reservations made eight months or less in advance of your arrival date. The resort is slated to open in March 2010.

Given the delays/reservation mess associated with SVO's opening of the Westin Lagunamar Villas (Cancun), I don't think I'll change my spring break plans to go to WDWV during the "slated" opening month, but it is good news to see a new SVO property come online.

-nodge

Last edited:

James1975NY

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to the knowledgeable folks at MyStarCentral.com . . . .

Reserve Your Spot at a Desert Oasis Today

Would you like to visit one of the newest Starwood Vacation Network resorts? The Westin Desert Willow Villas, Palm Desert in California is now accepting Starwood Vacation Network reservations made eight months or less in advance of your arrival date. The resort is slated to open in March 2010.

Given the delays/reservation mess associated with SVO's opening of the Westin Lagunamar Villas (Cancun), I don't think I'll change my spring break plans to go to WDWV during the "slated" opening month, but it is good news to see a new SVO property come online.

-nodge

I would agree with not committing to the early weeks of the opening but Lagunamar was unique and did get toppled pretty good by inclimate weather.

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
It might actually be a good thing that travel is down as it will give them a chance to work out the kinks without being buried by hordes of vacationers on opening day.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! Excellent news since this property is driving distance to us. Going to WMH in November so I will report back on the progress. I wish it was opening in Jan or Feb though -- I have more time off in the early season....

My friends are in Palm Springs right now. It's 115 :eek: :eek:

Katherine

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
WOW! Excellent news since this property is driving distance to us. Going to WMH in November so I will report back on the progress. I wish it was opening in Jan or Feb though -- I have more time off in the early season....

My friends are in Palm Springs right now. It's 115 :eek: :eek:

Katherine

Pictures would be great too!!

Btw, I'm on the lookout for a resale.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pictures would be great too!!

Btw, I'm on the lookout for a resale.

Will take pix for sure and post them. I bet the buildings are in "sticks" right now. Maybe by November there will be walls. I am curious more about the public spaces (and the size of the pool...) than the actual rooms. I am also guessing that they are building in stages based on demand. I bet there will be a lot of ongoing construction for the next year or two.

Katherine

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will take pix for sure and post them. I bet the buildings are in "sticks" right now. Maybe by November there will be walls. I am curious more about the public spaces (and the size of the pool...) than the actual rooms. I am also guessing that they are building in stages based on demand. I bet there will be a lot of ongoing construction for the next year or two.

Katherine

I was there last year over New Years, and they are definitely not in "sticks". Alll buildings had roofs, and some already had walls.

FYI, don't think for one second that they are not already behind schedule. When I bought there, they were hoping to be open by October of this year (although they sold first use January 2010). That puts a March opening about 6 months behind when they were hoping to be open.

-tim

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score
There appear to be a few more "artist renderings" of the WDWV on the Interval International site including one of a pool slide.

SVO needs to hire artists that can remember to draw an oven in the kitchen. The II drawing of the kitchen is missing one. Must be an oversight . . . ..

-nodge

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
There appear to be a few more "artist renderings" of the WDWV on the Interval International site including one of a pool slide.

SVO needs to hire artists that can remember to draw an oven in the kitchen. The II drawing of the kitchen is missing one. Must be an oversight . . . ..

-nodge

:rofl: Oversight my ***.

Forget the oven though -- did you see that SLIDE!!? Holy moly. I really hope that doesn't get axed in budget cuts. My kids are drooling already. That slide alone is worthy of an ownership as far as my 2 DD's are concerned. It really does look nice -- very W Hotel-esque! I wonder if they will eventually be desperate enough to allow us WMH owners to upgrade into WDW. I would seriously consider a purchase then.

Tim, glad to hear that the buildings are past the "sticks" stage. Not surprised about being behind by 6 months and I would not take the current projected opening date too seriously either. ;) Maybe Summer 2010.

Katherine

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I stayed at the Club Intrawest next door in March, and these were definitely well beyond the stick stage. I was afraid that the construction noise would be bothersome, but it wasn't at all - these units are relatively far away from the Club Intrawest, which made me glad.

Politico

TUG Member
Reaction score

Forget the oven though -- did you see that SLIDE!!? Holy moly. I really hope that doesn't get axed in budget cuts. My kids are drooling already. That slide alone is worthy of an ownership as far as my 2 DD's are concerned. It really does look nice -- very W Hotel-esque! I wonder if they will eventually be desperate enough to allow us WMH owners to upgrade into WDW. I would seriously consider a purchase then.

Tim, glad to hear that the buildings are past the "sticks" stage. Not surprised about being behind by 6 months and I would not take the current projected opening date too seriously either. ;) Maybe Summer 2010.

Katherine

I don't have kids, but, Kath, that's quite a ringing endorsement all for a slide :).

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No Oven!

-nodge

• Heavenly® Beds
  • Heavenly Baths®
  • Ceiling fan in each bedroom
  • Living areas with sofa bed, LCD flatpanel TV, DVD player and Bose® Wave® AM/FM/CD system
  • Separate dining areas
  • Fully equipped kitchen with stove, microwave, refrigerator with icemaker, dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster, blender and dinnerware
  • Well-equipped kitchenette with glass cooktop, microwave oven, refrigerator with icemaker, dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster, blender and dinnerware
  • Washers and dryers
  • Private balconies or patios
  • High-speed wireless Internet access
  • In-room safes

Notice this description of the Kitchen at Kierland.
  • Fully equipped kitchen with granite countertops, solid maple cabinets, ceramic cooktop, microwave/convection oven, full-size stainless steel refrigerator with icemaker, wood-paneled dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster, blender and dinnerware

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have kids, but, Kath, that's quite a ringing endorsement all for a slide :).

It's all about the pool and slide for my kids at this age (9 and 4). We own at Disney too and they ONLY want to go to the Beach Club (huge slide there too). Who am I to argue?

Of note, II has more pictures of this property than the official Starwood sales site. That's embarrassing for the marketing folks, no?

Katherine

Last edited:

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
  • Heavenly® Beds
  • Heavenly Baths®
  • Ceiling fan in each bedroom
  • Living areas with sofa bed, LCD flatpanel TV, DVD player and Bose® Wave® AM/FM/CD system
  • Separate dining areas
  • Fully equipped kitchen with stove, microwave, refrigerator with icemaker, dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster, blender and dinnerware
  • Well-equipped kitchenette with glass cooktop, microwave oven, refrigerator with icemaker, dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster, blender and dinnerware
  • Washers and dryers
  • Private balconies or patios
  • High-speed wireless Internet access
  • In-room safes

Notice this description of the Kitchen at Kierland.
  • Fully equipped kitchen with granite countertops, solid maple cabinets, ceramic cooktop, microwave/convection oven, full-size stainless steel refrigerator with icemaker, wood-paneled dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster, blender and dinnerware
Hmmmm... I wonder if that is a typo because it says the kitchenette has a microwave oven but the 1 bedroom kitchen it only says microwave. But that slide looks awesome!

Politico

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of note, II has more pictures of this property than the officia Starwood sales site. That's embarrassing for the marketing folks, no?

I noticed that too. And the II pictures are better than the SVO ones. Very embarrassing...

nodge

TUG Member
Reaction score

Maybe everyone is supposed to do all of their baking in that outdoor, crematorium-sized and shaped oven shown in the seventh slide on the II site.

Hey, wait a minute! . . . given Palm Springs/Desert’s reputation for being “God’s waiting room,” maybe SVO got a tax break for making this “fireplace” so large . . . ..

Talk about going green.

-nodge

BTW, is "Phoenix" a great brand-name for a crematorium chamber or what . . . ..

Last edited:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walk About

Just did a walk through the construction site at at Desert Willows.

Construction is well on its way. All Phase 1 Villas are up. Exteriors are finished, down to the unit number plaques, except for the last pod which is ready for stucco. Villa buildings are 3 stories.

The Clubhouse is enormous. Its single story design is striking, very reminiscent of mid-century modern. Lots of glass, rock veneer, and cantilever extensions to the roof line.

Landscaping is going in, and well done. Blends with the character of Desert Willows.

The main pool is prepped for plaster. The meandering water features are plumbed, and ready for rebar. Looks like there will also be cascading water at 3 levels with interleaving planters from the clubhouse down to the pool. But, hard to tell at this point how it will finish out.

The clubhouse angles around 3 sides of the "water park". A snack bar building (I think), restrooms, showers, etc, are under construction on the fourth side.

Based on what I have seen, construction will be easily be completed by opening day.

The location of the resort at Desert Willows is great, in my opinion, if you play golf. Desert Willows is owned by the City of Palm Desert.
36 holes of Championship Golf. Firecliff and Mountain Courses. Firecliff is unique, and highly rated.

I will try to get pictures as work progresses.

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
WDW Progress Pics

I took some Westin Desert Willow progress pics over the weekend.

Not shown are the tennis courts. Sub-surface is down, ready for hard court.

Clubhouse is enormous. Shown by building wing.

Pool area is very nice.

Last edited:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Dessert Willow progress pics

I shot some WDW progress pics over the weekend.

Villas exteriors are done.

Pools are ready for tile and plaster.

Clubhouse is enormous. Had to take individual pics by building wing.

Tennis courts, not shown, have sub layer down, ready for hard surface.

Landscape blends well with overall Desert Willow Resort environment.

Looks like March 2010 opening will be easily met.

Oh, btw, grapefruit trees have been planted in the tree wells stepping down to the pool deck. Those wanting to challenge the pool bartender on fresh grapefruit cocktails can check here.

Last edited:

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Thanks for sharing, Fred! This past Aug. we traded into WMH and had a great time (we don't mind the heat!). I've got a Starwood week deposited in II, and I was going to exchange into WMH or one of the Marriotts for next Aug. I wouldn't mind getting a WDW unit, but haven't seen any show up in II yet.

Glorian

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Fred! This past Aug. we traded into WMH and had a great time (we don't mind the heat!). I've got a Starwood week deposited in II, and I was going to exchange into WMH or one of the Marriotts for next Aug. I wouldn't mind getting a WDW unit, but haven't seen any show up in II yet.

Glorian

August is a great time to take advantage of I.I. Getaways in the desert.

Westin and Marriott Master Suites were going for $312 per week.. Guest Suites $198.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
August is a great time to take advantage of I.I. Getaways in the desert.

Westin and Marriott Master Suites were going for $312 per week.. Guest Suites $198.

I agree the getaway prices are good, but I traded a small one bedroom SDO unit to get a 2 bedroom unit. Both sides of the Westin units were around $300+, so I came out close with my trade even with the exchange fee.

Glorian