• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexsnowbird

Reaction score
Priority members

Monica

Call Mayan Palace and ask them about "priority" members. They have told me and at least several other owners including my brother who owns more than $50,000 worth that there are priority owners. They say it is only at PV but I don't believe that and also, even it is only PV, we bought with Mayan Palace so we could stay at Mayan Palace in PV. They have been selling units in Nuevo to people staying in PV telling them they can stay at any resort and now it is catching up with them. Imagine that, Mayan Palace mis-representing themselves!!!!!!

Bert

echoal

Reaction score
Cancun, Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta are becoming very popular espically PV which is attracting the older and retired crowd and with all the things happening in different countries Mexico resort areas are very safe and you still get a lot for money. Some of the islands in the Caribbean are still recovering from last years hurricanes and food prices are going through the roof . You have a lot of retires spending two to four weeks in Mexico also a lot of Canadians are going to Mexico, remember Florida took a beating last year and some snow birds are still getting there houses rebuilt. Mexico is a prime vacation spot that is why they get so many suckers to buy timeshares at 15K to 60K. I think you need to own fixed weeks in Feb to get in at that time, trades are very difficult and it usually is last minute. I sold my fix week (week 3) with Plaza Las Glorias for $3,500 with 9 years left, I bought it from a friend for $1,000 three years ago. I own at Mayan Palace and it was becoming more difficult to get week 4 with MP to coincide with my fixed week 3. Now I can split my 2BR for two week at MP PV in November with no problem. I think Myan Palace selling the float weeks are going to be a problem down the road. I think it is happening right now. They sell floaters but almost everyone that own want to go within a THREE month window from January to March and that is a problem with more demand than supply. Well this is one way they can sell there Mayan Island Condos.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The PV MP has fewer units than the other MP, so it is probably harder to get into. I know it is popular because of the location. The marina area and access to the bus system makes it extremely desirable. I have stayed there, but we prefer NV for the beach and huge pool.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Trip report from Grand Mayan Maya Riviera and Royal Mayan in Cancun.

I am taking the liberty of posting my trip report I did in October for our 2 week sat at the Grand Mayan and Royal Mayan. This was pre-Wilma. I feel there is some good info here that may be of interest to some folks.

This is from our trip to Riviera Maya/Cancun in October. We were in the area for 2 weeks. Our first week was in a 2 BR unit at the Grand Mayan in Riviera Maya and our second week was in a 2 BR Villa at the Royal Mayan in Cancun.

This gave us a good opportunity to compare Cancun with the Riviera Maya as well as the Royals vs Mayan Palace.

We liked the Riviera Maya much better than Cancun. Of course this depends on what one's preferences are. We don't drink and have no interest in night clubs or bars. We are interested in cultural and historical things as well as relaxing at the resort. If one likes to hit the night clubs than Cancun would probably be more suitable. We also far preferred the Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace to the Royals. The Royals were very nice but the Grand Mayan is awesome. Our unit at the Grand Mayan had one of the best locations there. We were in building 7 which is closest to the swimming pools, restaurants etc. We were on the 2nd floor with a good view of the lake and an ocean view from the balcony. You don't have a real good ocean view from any of the units because of the orientation of the buildings but we could see it. The unit was very luxurious, large, and very clean. The service was absolutely outstanding in all departments from the check-in to restaurants to check-out etc. The employees are very friendly and we got to know some of them pretty well before we left. You do have to walk a fair amount as the resort is very spread out. They do have free shuttle service throughout the resort but you still have to do some walking which isn't all bad. The Royals are more compact. Almost everything is more expensive at the Mayan Palace but well worth it in our opinion.

Our unit at the Royal Mayan had a good view of the ocean and the pool area.

We got hit by Tropical storm Stan the day we went to the Royal Mayan. It rained steadily for 5 days and was extremely windy the first 3 days. This knocked out any tours we had planned while in Cancun.

Grand Mayan vs Royal Mayan

Unit: The Grand Mayan was far nicer and much more luxurious. We loved the personal pool on the balcony at the Grand Mayan. It was really nice after coming back late from the tours. Kitchen facilities were better at the Royal Mayan but we never cook any meals so it didn't matter to us.

Service: The Mayan Palace's service was much better all around.

Activities and Entertainment: The Mayan Palace was better in our opinion. Their Fiesta Mexican was great. We also did the Mexican night at the Royals but it was nothing compared to the Mayan Palace.

Restaurants: This is one area where they are close but I would probably give the nod to the Royals. The breakfast buffet at the Mayan Palace is much better but also more expensive. The food was very good at the Royals with more variety and considerably cheaper. One thing that we didn't like at the Mayan Palace is the lack of Mexican food. Other than the breakfast buffet, there is really no Mexican food available except for the Fiesta Mexicana on Thursday night. On the other hand the Mayan Palace has room service which the Royals do not. We used room service several times at the Mayan Palace. Our waiter Julio at the Mayan Palace El Lago restaurant treated us both to a free breakfast buffet on our last morning for la despedida.

Swimming Pools: Again the Mayan Palace is much better though I did like that the pools were a little deeper at the Royal Mayan.

Beaches: This was one thing that was a big disappointment at both the Mayan Palace and the Royals. The beach in front of the Royals has a barrier of solid rock in the water that you have to get by to get in the ocean. It can be very dangerous, especially if there are any waves. They told us that lot of the sand has been eroded. The beach right in front of the Mayan Palace is not nearly as rocky but you have to watch it. The beach is much nicer about a 1/4 of a mile down from the Mayan Palace. My wife and I did go swimming in the ocean at both the Royal Mayan and the Mayan Palace. If beaches are your highest priority than I would go to Florida where the beaches are much nicer.

Don't get me wrong. The Royals are very nice. It is just that the Mayan Palace was truly outstanding. We were bothered a lot more at the Royal Mayan by timeshare sales folks. We absolutely do NOT do timeshare presentations ever. When we checked in at the Mayan Palace we told the receptionist that we don't attend presentations. She told us to just avoid them by going straight to the shuttle that took us to our unit. That was all there was to it. They never bothered us when we were in the lobby or anywhere else. At the Royal Mayan we had a personal concierge that kept bothering us for the first 5 days we were there until he finally gave up as we just ignored him.

We never rent cars in Mexico as we can always find somebody to take us where we want to go. Riviera Maya and Cancun were no exception. We either went by bus, tours or taxi.

Tours:

1. Xcaret - This was the greatest tour period. The bus picked us up at the Mayan Palace about 9:30 am and we got back at 10:00 PM. The tour included the entrance to the park, buffet lunch, and the evening show. All I can say is Xcaret is totally awesome. If you only do one thing while there, this should be it. The park, buffet lunch and show were absolutely outstanding. We loved swimming in the underground river. Xcaret is quite close to the Mayan Palace.

2. Chichen Itza - This was also a good tour of the Mayan pyramids and buildings. The bus picked us up at 7:30 am ad we got back about 8:00 pm. The tour included drinks on the bus, buffet lunch, and a guided tour of the ruins as well as a stop at a Mayan village and swimming in a cenote ( sink hole ). The lunch was great and you got quite a history lesson. Chichen Itza is a long drive.

We just did the 2 formal tours from the Riviera Maya. We will do some others the next time we go. We had planned on taking the overnight tour to Merida but the Tropical storm eliminated that.

Playa del Carmen: Playa del Carmen is a small city just a few minutes south of the Mayan Palace. We took the minibus there which you catch on the main road in front of the resort. The Mayan palace has a free shuttle that takes you to/from the front gate at the main road. The bus costs 10 pesos and takes you right to downtown Playa del Carmen. We took the boat from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel where we took a tour around on a horse drawn carriage. Playa del Carmen is a nice little city with lot of stores from the usual Mexican souvenir places to some upscale stores.

Cancun: We rode the bus from the Royal Mayan to Mercado 28. We also had a personal tour of the city in a taxi. One of the gals that works at the business center had an uncle that has a taxi. We made special arrangements for him to show us around which worked out real well as we learned a lot and we got a great price. That is one of the big advantages of speaking Spanish fluently and understanding the system.

We far preferred Playa del Carmen. Though much smaller, it has about everything we would want and it is much easier to get to from the Mayan Palace than Cancun is from the Royals.

Snorkeling: We went on a snorkeling excursion at the reef off the beach from the Mayan Palace. They take you out in a boat to the reef and supply all the equipment and free drinks. It was OK and we did see some schools of colored fish but it was nothing compared to the live reef at John Pennekamp State Park at Key Largo, Florida. They gave us a 15% discount because we speak Spanish and my wife is Mexican. This happens quite often.

Both resorts are cashless. Everything is charged to your room.

Airport Transportation: I strongly recommend arranging your transportation to/from the Mayan Palace with the resort's concierge. You need to do this a couple of days before you arrive. It can all be done by e-mail. Just go to the Royal Mayan web site. It costs $15.00 pp one way which is the cheapest available. They took us in our own private Grand Marquis. We took a taxi from the Mayan Palace to the Royal Mayan. We also took a taxi from the Royal Mayan to the airport on our return. The taxi only costs $1.00 more than the shuttle which is well worth it. We did everything through the resort after checking it out.

I contacted Brant personally by e-mail before going. He sent me a long e-mail that I can forward to anybody that is interested. He would have changed $45.00 for the 2 of us from the airport to the Mayan Palace. He doesn't do anything in the Riviera Maya area with regards to tours etc.

NOTE: Make sure you have your transportation arranged ahead of time. You will be bombarded by hordes of people the second you clear the Mexican customs all offering transportation. Ignore them completely though it is pretty difficult. Make sure you know exactly where you are going as they will lie to you and tell you that they are the resort's shuttle. They are all trying to get you to a timeshare presentation or whatever.

The Mayan Palace will e-mail you a confirmation with explicit instructions including how they will be dressed etc. The kiosk was right outside the door to the terminal and says Mayan Palace on it. They will have a list with your name on printed on it. Make sure you see your name as they will also lie about that. Do NOT pay anybody. The shuttle will be charged directly to your room.

cycart

TUG Member
Reaction score
For MP owners: How do you rent?

I didn't get any responses from the rental board so I will try here:

If you don't mind sharing, what's the best way you have found to rent out your units? Do you make a reservation for a specific week first and try to rent that out? If so, what time of year do you have the most luck with and at which locations?

Or do you work backwards and find a renter and then try and get the week/location they want?

I had initially thought I was doing it the best way..I reserved President's Week at Riviera Maya...perfect! no problems to rent out (or so I thought) and then Wilma hit.

John Cummings

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I think that one of the problems with renting at the MP is that it is very easy to exchange into. SFX gives away Mayan Palace weeks as their 2nd bonus week. That situation Will change as the resorts sell out but right now there are a lot of developer weeks available. It will also improve as more people discover that the Mayan Palaces are the premier timeshare resorts now.

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
4dabirds - I believe it's ONE (not 5) extra maint fee every 5 years. At least that's what we pay. But it DOES make your maint fees higher if you add this 1/5 in each year. Every 25 years you can purchase again for the amount of FIVE current maintanance fees. Whether it's a bad deal or not depends. We bought the "hard way" from the developer but it was years ago. In fact it was in the "old Vidafel" in Puerto Vallarta that later burned in an earthquake and was rebuilt into the Mayan Palace. Even tho we bought from the developer, we paid a fraction of what they sell for now so we are satisfied and we've gotten our moneys worth with wonderful vacations every year for many years.

Last edited:

OmniShare

Reaction score
HAPPY WITH THE MP's

I am one of those dummies who bought a 2 bedroom with a bonus week from MP at NV. I have internally traded for Riviera Maya twice, and for Puerto Penasco. I am looking forward to the new resort at Cabo, which, being out on the east Cape, should be in a great, undeveloped area which deserves a great MP resort. I have found the reservation system to be very polite, accomodating, and helpful. In fact, I would much rather deal with them than with RCI and I find I get what I want much easier and quicker than with RCI. (Does anyone else find RCI to be always unavailable with what I want????) I have taken 3 TS presentations with MP, the first one when I bought and two others since, and have enjoyed them because I learned about the resorts and the company and its procedures that way. No unpleasant, demanding sales people there. I have attended many other TS presentations in MX, and have found many to be "pushy" and unpleasant, so my MP experiences compare very well with those.
I have heard some complain that the resorts are "far out" and away from the conveniences of the cities. Since I always rent a car on vacation, this is not a problem for me. In fact, I love the remote, since I live on So. Calif. freeways and the remoteness is a real change of pace for me. I don't like the crowded resorts of Cancun, for example, one on top of the next, and would much rather be out and away at MP near Playa del Carmen. I love that resort, as I did NV and Puerto Penasco. I'm telling you, when Puerto Penasco is completely built out in 10 years, that will be a spectacular place! where anyone would be delighted to stay.
The beauty of the MP's, the commitment to quality of the units, the expansiveness of the resorts, and the terrific service make them truly the finest TS's in Latin America. I'll be the first to second that notion. ;)

sally

Reaction score
hello dummy!!!![kidding]

I guess we are the only fools that payed retail..We purchased from the developer 2 years ago,but like you I agree on all the points you stated in the various posts.I think many here have been conditioned to believe that unless you pay $4000. for a 2week red week you missed the boat.I have blown $$$ on a lot more frivolous things in life! at least in the long run you know inflation is going to make that initial lump some you payed look like chicken feed..of course the dues will increase.we too have done mexico many times and always try to do the presentations at the new best resorts ....mayan palace was the cut above the rest by far.so we jumped in ...searching ebay for the grand units sounds like a good way to go, but do the research on these boards first for all there is to know.....good luck and have one or two at the swim up bar in r. m. for me..........sally

Pat H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Brigantine
sally said:
I guess we are the only fools that payed retail..We purchased from the developer 2 years ago,but like you I agree on all the points you stated in the various posts.I think many here have been conditioned to believe that unless you pay $4000. for a 2week red week you missed the boat.I have blown $$$ on a lot more frivolous things in life! at least in the long run you know inflation is going to make that initial lump some you payed look like chicken feed..of course the dues will increase.we too have done mexico many times and always try to do the presentations at the new best resorts ....mayan palace was the cut above the rest by far.so we jumped in ...searching ebay for the grand units sounds like a good way to go, but do the research on these boards first for all there is to know.....good luck and have one or two at the swim up bar in r. m. for me..........sally

Sally, there are many of us who purchased retail. We bought the MP in MAZ in 1995 and then upgraded to PV in 96. We paid $13,500. We have gotten a lot of benefit from using, renting and direct exchanging with other Tuggers. I enjoy the resorts too.

Linda74

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan Palace

I am thinking of purchasing either Mayan Palace Nuevo or the Grand Mayan NV...RESALE....two bedroom unit, preferably a lockoff....My question is if we buy Red Time will we have trouble getting a week in Feb. or March or are the previous posts referring to the Vacation Fair time which I assume is a bonus they offer owners. We do love it there and know that it is a place we will return year after year. I am seeing fantastic prices on EBAY. Secondly, the lockoff should allow us to get two weeks...one in a 1 BR and one in a hotel unit, correct???

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Linda74

Yes - all 2 bedroom MP and Grand Mayan units have the 2nd bedroom as a "lock-off". We are heading to the Mayan Palace in Acapulco next week. We are staying our first week in a hotel unit or studio, the 2nd week in the 1 bedroom and on our 3rd week, we are using a 2-bedroom unit as friends are joining us. We are using 2 of our weeks for 3 wonderful weeks at the MP. We bought these on ebay for a fracion of the MP prices. You can find Grand Mayans on ebay too.

Reaction score
Beware of the Mayan Resorts scam

Sandy,

We hope this information reaches you in time: once at the Mayan Palace resort, be very careful before accepting/signing any of their offers (they will certainly push you to attend a "90 minutes presentation"); otherwise, you risk of falling into their trap and losing your money.
Please, for your own good, read the info contained at:
http://www.mayanresorts.org
It is VERY IMPORTANT!

Have a great vacation and... we wish you to come back without losing any money.

The folks at mayanresorts.org

P.S. If you want to contact us for further info or feedback, please do at:
contact@mayanresorts.org

Sandy said:
:) I see a new section just for Mayan resorts. I will take my first trip next March to the one in Cancun, Mayan Palace.

I only have a hotel unit, but that was all that was offered. I understand that if I sign up for a tour they might upgrade me to a one bedroom for no charge. Is this true?

Also, I have been curious about the pricing for these units. I see some on ebay occassionally, but the prices are all over the place. For example, there was a hotel unit for $99 buy it now, and other, larger units have gone for much higher.

Anyone have an opinon on a $99 hotel unit (with significant closing costs amounting to about $900 total, if I recall) So a hotel unit at the Mayan in Cancun for unde $1000. Is it worth it?

Or should I wait and see the place, maybe even like the larger units instead.

I guess I just have itchy timeshare fingers, always looking for that good deal.

Thanks
Sandy

mlbyron

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had another fabulous 2 weeks at our MP resort!!
we paid tstour prices. this is the 2nd upgrade and we think it was good
FOR US. Sally is sooo right, money has been spent in a worse way.
this time it actually benefited me. a great forced vacation in great resorts.
other times my husband couldn't get away. funny-now he can- seeing its a bought vacation. and- I enjoy it much more than the tractor we purchased
for nearly the same $$.

Reaction score
FYI-
I went to the link that mayan resorts info posted. The one they are building in Cabo will be located in San Jose del Cabo. it will be a Grand Mayan not a Mayan Palce a they posted. I called Grand mayan and according to them it will be complete in march 2007. They should opened in October of '06. In addition, they said the Grand Mayan in Puerto Penasco should be complete by late 2007.

echoal

Reaction score
When MP say completed they mean only 70%. We watched the pool fill at MP Cancun for two days. They were still bringing dishes to the rooms. When they say complete wait one year and then go and enjoy there very beautiful resort.

OmniShare

Reaction score
Glad To See A Discussion Of Mayan Palaces

I purchased my MP 2 bdrm at Nuevo Vallarta in 2000. Have stayed in NV, Mayan Riviera, and Puerto Penasco. Also, attended a presentation in San Jose del Cabo, where they are/will be building a Grand Mayan and a separate, large MP. I love the resorts. I love the customer service.
I have been fighting with RCI for 3 1/2 months to get a Cancun reservation for Spring Break, and I got a reservation with MP reservations in Houston on the first call. MP Reservations and MP Customer Service really try to please, and actually give Customer Service; RCI agents act like it is a pain for them to help you. I just can't stand dealing with RCI (altho, in fairness, some agents are really helpful), whereas dealing with MP agents is a pleasure.
In addition, all the resorts are soooo :D first class. I read one entry in the thread that said that a negative was the MP resorts which are far away from anywhere (where the company could buy cheap land); I actually see that as a powerful positive, because I like the seclusion and the feeling that I am away from all the crowds and tourists. Plus, each resort is so complete, that there are often days when I chose not to leave the resort.
The service at the resorts is first class. I'm staying at the Grand Mayan for the first time this coming weekend, and I'm curious to see what the differences are between this and regular MP, but the MP's feature great service.
In short, I have 5 timeshare weeks each year (six if you include the VF week), and I far prefer the Mayan Palaces to any of the other resorts (with the possible exception of the Pueblo Bonitos in Cabo) to any of my other weeks. If you want quality service and resorts in beautiful locations, with ease and helpfulness of reservations, Mayan Palace is THE PLACE to be.

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mayan Palace being out of town is a plus

I have read comments or complaints of M.P. being so far out of town.

I've always considered this to be a great asset for the simple reason that the ocean water my family and I are swimming in is a whole lot cleaner than the water in front of the ones that are lined up next to each other downtown!

debkay_w

TUG Member
Reaction score
Differences in rooms

We have purchased resale at MP, but haven't been there yet. I'm interested in more resales, but don't know what the differences in the room types are. Could anyone help me with this? I.E. - what is the difference between presidential and grand master and master and?????

Thanks
Deb :confused:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Presidential is a 2-bedroom 2-bath unit (one of the bedrooms is a lock-out unit) You basically have 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms.

Master Suite is a 1 bedroom 1 bath unit (2 rooms with a limited kitchen)

Hotel Unit is just a bedroom & bath. (The lock-out part - no refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker)

When watching on resales, check the number of bedrooms and bathrooms in the listing. If it only shows 1 bath, then it is just the lock-out hotel unit. Otherwise, they will list the number of bedrooms & bathrooms. Sometimes they call the hotel unit a studio.

sally

Reaction score
Deb....

The GRAND MAYAN is what you want to own...(although, the (normal) mayan palace units are nicer then most all other resort room units in all of mexico!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

You now own a small piece of the BEST , most progressive, resort chain in all of mexico!!!

{I have deleted remarks that might be considered inflammatory given recent posts on this topic. Deb's question about room sizes was adequately addressed in the post above this one. Karen G}

Enjoy, You now own the BEST!

sally

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Re: Beware of the Mayan Resorts scam

Have any of you owners ever had a problem communicating with MP customer service? My wife and I and another couple spent a week in the GM at NV last February. We had a great time but wanted to pass on a few comments and recommendations to customer service. After a few e-mails to customer service, a rep from the Acapulco resorts very graciously replied and said she would forward my comments to "corporate" and I would get a reply from them. Months later, nada! The rep from Acapulco even e-mailed me back about a month later asking if I had heard from them. At least she showed some interest and concern.
We really didn't even have any complaints, just a few suggestions to make guests feel a little more comfortable and welcome.
Maybe we MP owners need to form some type of on-line owners association, giving us a louder voice to get the attention of these "corporate" people who are too busy to listen to the people who ensure their salaries. Any comments?
Rick H

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at MP Pto Penasco the last week of May. I received in the mail this week an envelope from something on the letterhead that said "ROC". It was from the MP asking for comments and thoughts of our stay in Pto Penasco. It came w/ a self-addressed envelope back to them.

Rick H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also recieved a letter from ROC concerning my stay in Nuevo Vallarta in February. It look like Mayan Resorts is using another company to gather owner satisfaction (or dissatisfaction!) information. I hope they start responding to owner comments. This website (TUG) is a big enough brewing pot for unhappy owners and guests. It's bad enough that there are millions of travelers returning home from vacations in Mexico complaining about the high pressure sales tactics of Mayan Palace sales reps. I have no regrets about my purchase. I just hope that Mayan Resorts improves their PR policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.