• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mayan Palace Resorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parkplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rick H:

Did you notice how your June 18th message is tucked in between some 2005 responses? Strange!

Yes, I agree with you that us Mayan Palace owners should form some kind of association. Are you able to organize such a thing? I am sure that there are many owners who would love to join!

Lynn

echoal

Reaction score
Talk to the people at yahoo "mayan Palace group" all owners and many are owners who bought from MP not resale for $500 to $1500 from ebay.

Rick H

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lynn,

Maybe the reason my post was so out of place is because I really haven't got a clue about posting messages here! I looked for a button for posting a new message but didn't see one so I guess I just jumped in anywhere. By the same token, I'm equally baffled about all these wacky little characters making faces to the right of this message box.

Getting back to the original topic: Why the heck can't we create a Mayan Palace Owners Association right here? My e-mail address is available to anyone reading this. The old adage is as true now as it ever was - There's strength in numbers. Drop a line and let me know what you think.

To add fuel to the fire, let me relay an experience I had while staying at the Grand Mayan (NV) in February. While waiting in line at the pool-side restaurant, we noticed how salespeople would cut in line an get seated while schmoozing prospective buyers. This happened several times before my friend John stepped up to the maitre de and asked why they got preferential treament over owners. The surprised guy turned red, we got the next table.
It just shows to go you that once they have your money they toss you aside and go after the next fish. Don't get me wrong, I love my visits to the Mayan Resorts, but I'm also very aware of how things operate there.

Buena suerte, amigos!

davilin88

Reaction score
It also shows to go that the squeaky wheel gets greased.

nemorn

Reaction score
We just purchased at the MP in Puerto Penasco and got home and then FREAKED out when we saw all the negative comments on the internet. Especially the website dedicated to negative Mayan comments. I had the most trouble understanding what it was that people were so unhappy about? From what I could tell it was simple buyers remorse, which I think we all have at one time or another. I got scared and cancelled my credit card and prepared my letter to go out certified. However, after some thought and a TON of research (my kid's were totally neglected yesterday and this morning) I still can't find a reason to cancel...other than 1. we spent a chunk of change 2. booking can be difficult. So the first I can easily overlook as we tend to buy ridiculous things at ridiculous times and this actually seemed like a wiser choice for us since we love expensive vacations.
The latter however is concerning to me, so we are putting a call in to inquire about some of the "issues" with priority booking. There was a post that said that you really should own a "grand" mayan room. Could the owner clarify to us the bennie's of it. Clearly it seems you get priority booking? We bought a 2bdr/lockout (regency) which we are told is the second step on the ladder.
We absolutley loved the resort and our kid's had a blast and we really don't want to cancel. We feel like we got a good package. We got 1+1 weeks with a registered and a VF week...plus an extra "sunpac" week that can be used at any of the MX resorts but not traded with RCI. We paid 16K for this package which includes 50% off golf as well and our maintenece fee's are $630/yr on weeks used. First five years the fee must be paid on the registered week whether we use it or not, and after five years it's only paid if the week is used.
So that's it in a nutshell. I have never owned a timeshare so I have not a clue if we got screwed? My MIL owns through Marriott and she has a deed, but all the fee's are comparible. She has been trying to get to France for two years by trading her Orlando property through II and has been unsuccessful. So I know that some of the trading issues happen to the best of the timeshares.
I would love some feedback from you folks and am truely thrilled to have found this group. We tried to book our sunpac week and were told that it was booked for 6 months in Puerto Penasco and had to call the sales office and they got us in. I know that I can't do that every year and they are trying to make sure that we dont' cancel. So again feedback would be appreciated.
I have until 4:00 today to get my registered letter in the mail if we are going to cancel...;-) We really don't want to cancel. We really loved it and want to be able to use it.
Are we nervous nellie's???

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To make a long story short, you paid about $12,000 more than you can by the same thing for on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/2BR-LOCKOFF-MAY...ryZ15897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
sold for $1525 plus closing and transfer costs
http://cgi.ebay.com/MAYAN-PALACE-2B...ryZ15897QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
sold for $1025 plus closing and transfer costs.
etc.
We enjoy the MP and GM resorts, but purchasing retail is just too expensive.

Now, you can decide. fwiw, Greg

nemorn said:
We just purchased at the MP in Puerto Penasco and got home and then FREAKED out when we saw all the negative comments on the internet. Especially the website dedicated to negative Mayan comments. I had the most trouble understanding what it was that people were so unhappy about? From what I could tell it was simple buyers remorse, which I think we all have at one time or another. I got scared and cancelled my credit card and prepared my letter to go out certified. However, after some thought and a TON of research (my kid's were totally neglected yesterday and this morning) I still can't find a reason to cancel...other than 1. we spent a chunk of change 2. booking can be difficult. So the first I can easily overlook as we tend to buy ridiculous things at ridiculous times and this actually seemed like a wiser choice for us since we love expensive vacations.
The latter however is concerning to me, so we are putting a call in to inquire about some of the "issues" with priority booking. There was a post that said that you really should own a "grand" mayan room. Could the owner clarify to us the bennie's of it. Clearly it seems you get priority booking? We bought a 2bdr/lockout (regency) which we are told is the second step on the ladder.
We absolutley loved the resort and our kid's had a blast and we really don't want to cancel. We feel like we got a good package. We got 1+1 weeks with a registered and a VF week...plus an extra "sunpac" week that can be used at any of the MX resorts but not traded with RCI. We paid 16K for this package which includes 50% off golf as well and our maintenece fee's are $630/yr on weeks used. First five years the fee must be paid on the registered week whether we use it or not, and after five years it's only paid if the week is used.
So that's it in a nutshell. I have never owned a timeshare so I have not a clue if we got screwed? My MIL owns through Marriott and she has a deed, but all the fee's are comparible. She has been trying to get to France for two years by trading her Orlando property through II and has been unsuccessful. So I know that some of the trading issues happen to the best of the timeshares.
I would love some feedback from you folks and am truely thrilled to have found this group. We tried to book our sunpac week and were told that it was booked for 6 months in Puerto Penasco and had to call the sales office and they got us in. I know that I can't do that every year and they are trying to make sure that we dont' cancel. So again feedback would be appreciated.
I have until 4:00 today to get my registered letter in the mail if we are going to cancel...;-) We really don't want to cancel. We really loved it and want to be able to use it.
Are we nervous nellie's???

nemorn

Reaction score
I guess you have to also realize what's involved with the transfer and closing costs. I know there is a 10% transfer fee on purchase price. You have no idea what these people paid? So I think everyone know's that if you buy a timeshare resale you are getting a better deal if it's exactly what you want. It's like buying a car and driving off the lot.
I see so many negative people that it makes me curious. So I have to ask..are you Mayan owners? Are you upset with them? My MIL bought a Marriott and paid a lot too and I saw one listed for about 13K. Do you really think someone bought the timeshare for a penny? I mean give me a break?

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
nemorn said:
So I think everyone know's that if you buy a timeshare resale you are getting a better deal if it's exactly what you want. ...Do you really think someone bought the timeshare for a penny? I mean give me a break?

I wouldn't think this would be something to be argumentative about - - your original question here was posted as if you had just bought retail and had only hours to decide whether or not to rescind the deal. We posted some auction prices so you could make an informed decision.

The $.01 auction result that I posted required the buyer to pay two $495 maintenance charges for 2006 and $1,433 in closing and transfer fees. Although I don't know anything about this particular Seller, as to whether I "really think" the winning bidder was able to acquire a 1-BR Mayan Palace Acapulco (with the same reservation privileges and VF options as a retail buyer) and the first year's use for $2,423 out-of-pocket: Yes I do.

JEFF H

Reaction score
nemorn said:
I guess you have to also realize what's involved with the transfer and closing costs. I know there is a 10% transfer fee on purchase price. You have no idea what these people paid?

Lets assume they paid $16,000 like you did. That would mean a $1600 transfer fee.
On the resale market you Have a large choice of Mayan Palace weeks to choose from resale that can be had for $3000 easy and you could pay even less if you wanted to work ebay or make lower offers.
$4600 total cost compared to $16,000 that you paid direct.

You took the time to educate yourself on the product and now its your decision on how to proceed.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Nemorn - The bottom line is that you love the Mayan Palace resorts. I do too and will admit to paying almost $16,000 back in 1999 for a 2 bedroom unit like you just purchased with all the "extras" this year.

We have since purchased several Mayan Palace units on eBay and have converted some of these to Grand Mayan units. Our family & friends absolutely love to receive invitations to join us at these resorts because they know that they will have a fabulous vacation.

Enjoy your unit and if you decide you want more units, you now know to watch for resales.

FYI - when you buy MP units that were originally sold before 2001, the transfer fee is equal to the maintenance fee. Units sold after 2001 are 10% of the original purchase price. Check your contract for the regency - my Grand Mayan states that transfer fees are equal to 5 maintenance fees - which is higher than 10% of the contract price.

Last edited:

Monica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pittle is correct.

"Enjoy your unit and if you decide you want more units, you now know to watch for resales."

We now own 5 units, or 10 weeks. We have used 9 of them this year, between us and renting and swapping.

We just were in PP at the end of May, our 3rd visit to that location. We are big Acapulco MP lovers.

Just remember to call 6-months out. I have always got the reservation I wanted when I followed that rule.

I think the PP location fills up very fast because families can drive there from Southern California, AZ, and New Mexico. A lot of nationals from Mexicali own there, also.

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, Why did you ask???

You came here and asked for the truth, and now your upset because the truth didn't match your rose colored vision? :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2BR-LOCKOFF-MAYA...QQcmdZViewItem
sold for $1525 +$150 + 622 + 1879 =$4176.00 including the 2006 use year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAYAN-PALACE-2BR...QQcmdZViewItem

sold for $1025 + 150 + 1710= $2885

Now if money has no value to you, and paying an extra $12-13 thousand dollars for exactly the same product makes sense, then by all means ignore us, I mean we weren't trying to help you or anything silly like that....:doh:

We don't MP weeks, while we enjoy the resorts that we have used, we find it easier to trade into them rather than owning them.

fwiw, Greg

nemorn said:
I guess you have to also realize what's involved with the transfer and closing costs. I know there is a 10% transfer fee on purchase price. You have no idea what these people paid? So I think everyone know's that if you buy a timeshare resale you are getting a better deal if it's exactly what you want. It's like buying a car and driving off the lot.
I see so many negative people that it makes me curious. So I have to ask..are you Mayan owners? Are you upset with them? My MIL bought a Marriott and paid a lot too and I saw one listed for about 13K. Do you really think someone bought the timeshare for a penny? I mean give me a break?

nemorn

Reaction score
:p It's so hard to send these post's and emails because no one can see your face. I did not mean to argue, I said the "give me a break" with a smile..sorry you couldnt see it. You are right about resales being a better deal. I guess ultimatley if we buy another unit we will do it that way. At this point if I try to pull out, I may loose my deposit which is 5K and that would totally suck. My husband is happy that he got the golf package and he does not want to back out of the deal. We were given an extra week in high season after we "freaked" about the whole thing...so ultimatley we are happy.
No one wants to hear that they paid too much, but in this case I know that we did. It's okay....I will lick my wounds on the beach:cool:
As for asking...your right I did and the truth hurts. So I will eat some crow:eek: no problem.
So we are going to enjoy our purchase while our kid's are young and hope for the best. I would be interested in finding out about your purchases that you made on the resale property's and how exactly that works when we are ready to do that.
I came here for information about my new resort and good karma. So let's start over :p

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
nemorn
a penny no one dollar yes I did buy a mayan studio for $1 plus closing on ebay. :clap:

But hey us tuggers love people like you :wave:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
nemorn, don't worry about it. You bought it, you and your husband are happy, and that's all it matters. Most of us bought our 1st timeshare from the developer, and we all learned our lessons and moved on. Enjoy your purchase and don't look back. At least you bought in a quality resort that most of us would love to exchange into. We'll be at Mayan Riviera next April. We drove passed it last week and it looked really nice from the outside.

nemorn

Reaction score
nazclk said:
nemorn

But hey us tuggers love people like you :wave:

I joined the forum for friendly information. Can we keep the negative condesention to a minimum please:mad:

taffy19

Reaction score
Nemorn, enjoy your week you bought. They should treat you well since you bought directly from them. We do the same with the weeks we bought from developers too. It was a mistake more than once but we can live with it. ;)

One thing is for sure, the developers will keep increasing the prices and maintenance fees too unless everybody has discovered the Internet and re-sale prices. When will that day come and what will they do? Re-sales may go up or they have to lower their prices or offer a lot more goodies extra. :rolleyes:

aliikai2

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK,
I didn't mean to sound uppity,and your right without being able to see expressions,:annoyed: things do sometime come off as something other than intended.:confused:
You made a decision, that is fine. Most of us bought our 1st retail, but have since learned the value of buying resale for many thousands less.:wave:

You will enjoy your week, but before you buy another retail, give ebay a try.:whoopie:

The money you save will allow you many weeks of enjoyment. jmho, Greg

nemorn said:
It's so hard to send these post's and emails because no one can see your face. I did not mean to argue, I said the "give me a break" with a smile..sorry you couldnt see it. ..I will lick my wounds on the beach
As for asking...your right I did and the truth hurts. So I will eat some crow:eek: no problem.
So we are going to enjoy our purchase while our kid's are young and hope for the best. I would be interested in finding out about your purchases that you made on the resale property's and how exactly that works when we are ready to do that.
I came here for information about my new resort and good karma. So let's start over

nemorn

Reaction score
Thanks Gregg I appreciate that. We are going to take our lumps and call it good. We would not want to lose our deposit and since it's done we are just focusing on our super vacation options
We love to take vacations and have skipped them for the last two years other than our disney trips. This is going to give us the opportunity to vacation well for a long time I hope.
I have to tell you when I booked this vacation to PP in the first place it's because we were at our wits end with work, kid's and whatnot. My kid's do not remember the beach so we wanted to go check it out. I got online and looked at condo's and called an agent and told her that I specifically wanted something on the beach and CLEAN. I told her that we had three kid's and one is an infant and we are picky:(
Let's just say when we got there it was a total ^%&^hole (dump) we paid $175/night and it was disgusting. We could not take off our flipflops...even in the SHOWER:bawl:
I had seen the MP online and wanted to check it out and low and behold their was a little guy on the street with all the info. Normally we would have avoided him at all costs but on our way back from the hike to the beach that was over 300 yards:mad: We decided to give it a shot.
When we arrived we pretty much wanted to whip out our wallet and give them all of our money before they asked for it. We were the easiest sell they have ever seen I think:confused:
We begged for them to let us go pack up our belongings and stay, but they were booked up..so we packed up every morning and went to the MP for the rest of our vacation:p
So now we will keep our eyes open and look for some deals and maybe we can bargain up an upgrade to the GM? We shall see. I look forward to getting to know all of you and really do appreciate any info about MP.
Thanks again

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
That sounds so much like our story that it is scary. In February, 1999, we went to Acapulco. The resort we had exchanged into was the worst timeshare that we have ever exchanged into. (I learned a vauable lesson - if there are not room photos in the directory - do not go there unless it is Gold Crown or II 5*.) I requested to change rooms because the first one smelled funny, but the second one was no better or cleaner.

On our second day there, we were in Walmart, and were approached to take a tour of the Mayan Palace the next day. We already owned 3 timeshares and did not want to buy another one, but were looking for something to do other than hang out at the awful resort. The gifts were another incentive to keep us busy doing something else.

The Mayan Palace was wonderful - kind of like night and day. Before you knew it we were buying a 2-bedroom Sea Garden in Mazatlan. The cincher was that we could move over to the MP that day into a one-bedroom MP unit. The taxi driver did not know what happened to him - we told him to wait at our resort, we were packed and checked out in 15-20 minutes. We were back at the Mayan Palace hanging out at the pool within an hour! The rest of our vacation was absolutley wonderful - we did not even take the tours that we received as incentives - why leave when you are in paradise??? We gave the tickets to some folks at the pool.

In November, 1999, we upgraded the Sea Garden to a regular Mayan Palace 2-bedroom unit in Nuevo Vallarta and have been hooked on the MP ever since. We like them so well that we sold the 3 original timeshares and bought MP resales as replacements. We now own 2 two-bedroom MP units, 1 one-bedroom MP unit, and 2 two bedroom Grand Mayan units. Our family and friends look forward to Mayan Palace vacations. We figure we will "blow them away" with our new Grand Mayan units next year.

Welcome to the Mayan Palace family and enjoy!

echoal

Reaction score
The MP resorts is a cut above many of the resorts, resorts in Hawaii are comparable.
I am going to compare the MP to a car. If you can afford a Benz you would go to the dealer and get one, there might be a special on some models but not often. It is not going to go up in value but you enjoy it and love being in it.

Some people are overwhelmed with the size and beauty and feel that is where they have to be and do buy and later regret it when the numbers start adding up. The timeshare sharks don’t help by telling people they can rent their unit for $2k or better. I love the MP and I did go to a presentation, bought a 2BR unit and we are enjoying it to the max. We were toll we can buy an extra unit and rent it, was not interested and said no. We were in Acapulco and went to a sale pitch just for updates about MP, we mentioned no sale just info and he agreed, we saw GM and the question was asked could we use MP to get into GM, he said no and the obvious was how do we get in. We went to his table he gave us a price and we said we don't like the number, got another and now we are GM owners. Happy and contented.

Enjoy your timeshare and when you walk by the 2 and 3 star resorts you will know how well your money was spent, seeing everyone in a small pool and the six bar stools in the pool are occupied.

JEFF H

Reaction score
nemorn said:
I got online and looked at condo's and called an agent and told her that I specifically wanted something on the beach and CLEAN. I told her that we had three kid's and one is an infant and we are picky:(
Let's just say when we got there it was a total ^%&^hole (dump) we paid $175/night and it was disgusting. We could not take off our flipflops...even in the SHOWER:bawl:

Where did you stay?
I have rented several times now at the Sonoran Sea and Spa resort right on Sandy Beach in Town. We prefered these two resorts and units to the Mayan Palace Rocky Point by far.
http://www.rockypointrent.com/

The Mayan Palace Rocky Point was way too far from town for our tastes. We didn't like being stuck eating at there resturant or faced with a 30 mile drive eachway to town.
The partial Kitchens in the unit and the electric hot plate burners were terrible.

We like to purchase Fresh Seafood from the Fish Market in Town and then cook it in the full american style kitchens at the Sonoran resorts.
lots of stores and resturants to choose from in town makes it much more convient than being way out at the Mayan Palace.

Last edited:

nemorn

Reaction score
We stayed at the Marina Pinacate and it was terrible. The beach was nasty and ROCKY (hence Rocky Point) and the same goes for Sandy beach. It's not a sandy beach:(
We did not find popping out to MP to be a hardship at all? We drove over to MP everyday and then back to town and didn't bat an eye with three kids:confused:
Have you actually stayed at the MP? I don't cook on vacation..we bring snacks and things so that is not an issue for us. I found the fishmarket and "town" area in general to be a nice cultural experience for my kid's and ourselves, but it's Mexico and with that it's dirty and a bit dangerous and worrisome at times. So is Phoenix for that matter so I can get that feeling here:bawl:
I enjoyed the food and clean atmosphere at the MP and would drive there any day of the week and cannot wait to go back. If there were no MP I would never go back to Rocky Point! There is absolutley no comparision to the beaches on Sandy Beach to MP private beach.
It all boils down to perception and that becomes reality and to us....it was apples and oranges.

nazclk

TUG Member
Reaction score
nemorn said:
I joined the forum for friendly information. Can we keep the negative condesention to a minimum please:mad:

Couldn't tell by your post after alikai gave you all that great information:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.