• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mass Mailing To Worldmark Owners

normbailey

Reaction score
Cindy,

You bring up a lot of excellent points. And although I'd love to argue about our country's checks and balances system, I believe that would subject this thread to being closed due to political discussion. And I think there's a real value to all sides of the coin. There are actually three sides to every coin. A lot of folks use the phrase "on the other side of the coin", or something like that. But, the edge is the only part of a coin that's shared by both of its dominant sides. The edge is the part of this coin that I'm trying to reach. And the only way to do that is if the two dominant sides understand where the other is coming from.

Folks like you and some of the others who have met Philip have stated that his heart is in the right place and applaud his efforts. But, for those of us who have not met him in person, what do we have to base our opinions on?

His statements made on this forum and other forums. That's it. And for those of us who really care about our votes, how they are cast, and who they are cast for, continue to try and find that sometimes illusive edge of the coin.

Philip is right when he says that he doesn't believe anyone is taking this personally. I'm certainly not. It's a volatile issue. Volatile issues usually create intensely hot debate. When it comes time to vote, I find it difficult that anyone reading the forums would have a difficult time forming a conclusion. No matter which direction they go.

For me, I believe there are far better alternatives than a 100% owner-only BOD. And that is what I believe is at the crux of my side of the coin. But, in fairness to the other side of the coin, some of the alternatives I believe in would require certain concessions from the developer and the current board. Whether or not they'd be willing to go that route is still unknown. But I'm pursuing them anyway.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Philip, I made the mistake of reading through every post again. I got riled. I apologize for that, everyone. The debate continues....

I really think this is a bigger issue than even Worldmark. If you are successful, I can see this setting a precedent for more owner representation with other large resorts. It is personal to me....but personal issues aside, this is a big deal.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
rickandcindy23 said:
Philip, I made the mistake of reading through every post again. I got riled. I apologize for that, everyone. The debate continues....

I really think this is a bigger issue than even Worldmark. If you are successful, I can see this setting a precedent for more owner representation with other large resorts. It is personal to me....but personal issues aside, this is a big deal.

No need to apologize, I value your support and friendship, and know where your heart is. Now you can see, I hope, why I don't have more time, energy and money to help with our mutual resort's problems.

melschey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carolinian said:
The real problem is having a developer controlled BOD. No matter how competent and smart they may be, they have a huge conflict of interest.
The same is true of a management controlled BOD. The ONLY way that members are going to be protected and have their interests looked after is to achieve a member controlled BOD.

My feeling exactly. Many WM owners seem to be comfortable letting people whose primary responsability is to Cendant stockholders decide what is best for WM owners. I have no problem if they feel that way but I definately don't agree. I am not anti-Trendwest but feel the BOD should be indepentant and the BOD members should be looking out for WM owners not for Cendant, I don't see how they can do both.

kapish

TUG Member
Reaction score
WM needs a *balanced* BOD who is Sensitive of owner needs!

melschey said:
My feeling exactly. Many WM owners seem to be comfortable letting people whose primary responsability is to Cendant stockholders decide what is best for WM owners. I have no problem if they feel that way but I definately don't agree. I am not anti-Trendwest but feel the BOD should be indepentant and the BOD members should be looking out for WM owners not for Cendant, I don't see how they can do both.
I agree. I am not "anti-TW" either. I wish for a *balanced* BOD who is sensitive of owner needs! Instead of the BOD being populated by all Trendwest/Cendant stake holders, we need independent Worldmark owners to ensure owner rights.

For example, in instances like when the BOD discusses Trendwest receiving kick backs from the TOT revenue at the Indio resort and that money is not going to Worldmark, there needs to be independent Worldmark owners questioning that!

We have been talking for so many years for an independent BOD. With Philip's efforts we are one step closer to that. Thanks Philip :clap:

Let us continue to work for a balanced Worldmark BOD!

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
PA can you show us your softer side

PA, you are probably in a position to know; do the folks at Trendwest feel threatened by you. Are you perceived as someone they would be unwilling to work with? Do you have an image problem when it comes to these guys? If they feel like you’re coming for their heads, how effective would you be?

I hate to pull the race card here but we all know the story. Back when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, my understanding is that he was selected not necessarily because he was the most talented, but because it was thought that he could best handle the situation. It seems that these guys are saying that because of your passion, you may lack the tact necessary to get the job done.

Bump ;)

Last edited:

Kevin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why?

boyblue said:
PA, you are probably in a position to know; do the folks at Trendwest feel threatened by you. Are you perceived as someone they would be unwilling to work with? Do you have an image problem when it comes to these guys? If they feel like you’re coming for their heads, how effective would you be?

I hate to pull the race card here but we all know the story. Back when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, my understanding is that he was selected not necessarily because he was the most talented, but because it was thought that he could best handle the situation. It seems that these guys are saying that because of your passion
Bump ;)

I respectfully disagree! Though I'm sure Philip has a softer side, him showing it just to make the TW BOD less threatened would be insincere IMO. The WM BOD and TW management SHOULD feel a bit "threatened" by owners who want to be heard!

If he, or anyone else for that matter, is elected with the expectation of being one of the "good ol' boys / girls" and shows a different side once elected... members would complain. Also, if he turns SOFT once elected... I'll be disappointed. Soft meaning, less passionate, less accessible, constantly singing the company tune, etc.

With 200,000 owners, everyone can't be the same. I prefer straight shooters. I don't need to see PA's softer side. I don't need to like him personally. I don't plan on hanging out with him regularly... though I'm sure it would be great! ;)

All I care about is... does he have OUR / MY best interest in mind while trying to improve The Club. IMHO... he does!

Look past the rhetoric to see the message... Cendant/ Wyndham / Trendwest does not allow the OWNERS OF WM to have a fair say in how OUR Club is run in a lot of cases!

As long as I feel Philip says what he means, and means what he says... I don't need to see another side of him. Once again, JMHO.

Kevin

p.s.,

The 40's was a different time and situation. Though JR was great for then... he MAY not be have been great for NOW!

Swarthog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the TW contingent is never going to want to give up control of the board. One guy is certainly no threat, can get voted down and would have a tough time getting any agenda passed. However it is the camels nose in the tent and TW knows that. Miliions of dollars a year are at stake and TW needs to have control of the board in order to maximize profits. It really wouldn't matter whether they saw PA as a threat or not, until the members can take control of the BOD little but lip service will be given. Of course they would probably rather not have someone be a constant thorn in their side.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
normbailey said:
... I believe there are far better alternatives than a 100% owner-only BOD. .....

FAR BETTER???

options, plural, as in, more than 1 option that's "far better" than a 100% independent board?

That would be a good one to hear.

Face it, if Cendant has 3 board members, they might as well have 5. All of them will always vote the Trendwest party line. However, if there are 3 independents, there's absolutely NO guarantee that 1 of them won't be tainted somehow. Not necessarily in an illegal manner, it's just that Cendant's executives could easily steamroll a weak, unknowledgeable owner.

PA-

TUG Member
Reaction score
boyblue said:

I hate to pull the race card here but we all know the story. Back when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier, my understanding is that he was selected not necessarily because he was the most talented, but because it was thought that he could best handle the situation. It seems that these guys are saying that because of your passion, you may lack the tact necessary to get the job done.

Bump ;)

I can't answer for whether or not they feel threatened by me. I kind of doubt it. I think they may feel a tiny bit threatened by a rising tide that began long ago. I've seen videos of owner's meetings many years ago, and I remember in one a longtime owner, who claimed he was very happy, getting up during the open mike and telling Gene something like, "I've said it before, I'll say it again, having TW control of the board is going to bite you one day". So, I guess I'm saying, their problems aren't going to go away if I do. There are MANY owners who feel the way I do, and tens of thousands who would if they understood the threat.

No, they wouldn't treat me any differently than any other independent owner. They would keep me out of the loop as much as possible and never willingly give me an opportunity to communicate with the owners during the owner's meeting or any other time.

I have a good relationship with one member of the board, and a casual but ok relationship with another. I have a non-relationship with two of them. Gene is very diplomatic, he's generally pleasant, but I don't suspect we'll be showering together soon. The dynamics of the board are not so simple though, it's not at all like all 5 of them being equal. There are 3 people who seem to call the shots, and 1 of them is a non-voting member of the board. I suspect that I'll never be on the board, so we won't find out how effective I'll be. I don't plan to vote any proxies for myself, unless I believe that's the only way to get an independent elected. I also suspect that, should I ever be on the board, I'll be far more effective than any independent member of the board that's ever sat on the board. However, my definition of effective might vary from some peoples. I would measure my effectiveness by how many people I convinced to NEVER allow a Cendant or Trendwest employee to sit on the board. No other independent that I'm aware of has ever been sucessful in communicating to the owners at large, either before or after they were appointed.

As for the comparisons to Jackie Robinson, let me just say this, to avoid any political speeches. There were many who claimed he was far from a hero, because after all, baseball is only a game. My definition of a hero is someone who stands up for what's right, despite personal attacks, to open the door of opportunity for other. Jackie didn't realize personal wealth from playing baseball. He was modestly payed for a short number of years, and suffered much personal indignation.

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say PA but you're no politician...

I've never seen a politician answer a question so directly. :clap: Is it because the issues are simpler?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Intention bump up to the top.

Good luck to you

Last edited: