• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's new forum to discuss the 2009 changes.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the thread that discusses Marriott's 2009 Program Changes. I received an email about it earlier. It appears that Ed French, Sr. Vice President of Marriott, created the thread.

You will need to log in to your Marriott.com account. Then click on "Welcome to our 2009 Program Changes forum!"

Terry

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I will try to post as well and would encourage others to do so.

Their site is not so slick - I'm getting an error message when I click on "submit," but I'll keep trying.

They may have to listen if there is loud grumbling from many people.

Last edited:

yobo500

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also added my dissatisfaction with the new program on the website.I read through several and many rewards members do not seem to be very happy with Mr. French's idea.I was glad to see that MVCI owners were also sharing their unhappniess with this idea and not just plat. elite members.:annoyed:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried 3 times. ERROR every time.

I said this: (nothing new)

I bought a timeshare that exchanges for 110K per year. I was TOLD by my salesman Jeremy in NCV in CA that i could exchange my timeshare every 2 years for just about the amount of a 250K travel package. He said get the Marriott credit card for the extra 30K. HEY! NOW I can't do it! Now I'm stuck with a very expensive timeshare that I only bought for points. I could have bought this timeshare to use or exchange for much less on the resale market - and Jeremy AGREED with me. But he said I could get a great vacation every TWO years with the points. We bought it. Now we need to wait every 3 years. UNFAIR and unethical.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I think these forums are filtered. Meaning your post won't show until reviewed, overly edited and then approved. They may not even post it at all if it does not meet their business interests.

Jpollo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
It's not unfair and unethical. EVERY rewards program has point deflation.

I think eveyone who is complaining didn't do the appropriate research before buying for points.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Quote from Marriott:
Many of you have expressed your dissatisfaction with the decrease in value for the 7-night and package awards. For those of you who only redeem points for 7 night stays, and never at a Stay Anytime rate, these stays are going to require more points.

We are constantly working to improve the value of the program and, as a general rule, take our cues from member requests as well as the competitive marketplace. We listen to what you say and try to provide benefits that have the highest value.

Mounds of member research and verbatim comments tell us that availability of rooms for redemption stays at the hotel of the member’s choice is a highly-valued benefit. You told us that no blackout dates is very important to you; and the competitive marketplace told us that the time to offer the benefit had come. But we felt that we could provide more. Not surprisingly, the 50% Platinum bonus and 5th night free tested extremely high in terms of program value, so we knew we had to find a way to afford these other benefits.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
...Mounds of member research and verbatim comments tell us that availability of rooms for redemption stays at the hotel of the member’s choice is a highly-valued benefit. You told us that no blackout dates is very important to you; and the competitive marketplace told us that the time to offer the benefit had come. But we felt that we could provide more. Not surprisingly, the 50% Platinum bonus and 5th night free tested extremely high in terms of program value, so we knew we had to find a way to afford these other benefits.

Again, it's quite obvious that the MRP is geared toward the business traveler and not the typical MVCI customer. IMHO,the MRP program, regardless of what any TS salesman says, is at best a minor adjunct to the MVCI program and as such, what is important to the MVCI customer will have very little weight in the overall evolution of the MRP program unless it happens to coincide with the business traveler's interest.

billymach4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you folks realize this. Over on FlyerTalk there is of course a Marriott Rewards Program forum. Apparently Marriott has an official rep on the forum that delivered the bad news. This guys name is Marriott Concierge. So far there are 14 pages of ranting and bashing. You might want to chime in and add to the protesting!:eek: :eek: :eek:

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
Not sure if you folks realize this. Over on FlyerTalk there is of course a Marriott Rewards Program forum. Apparently Marriott has an official rep on the forum that delivered the bad news. This guys name is Marriott Concierge. So far there are 14 pages of ranting and bashing. You might want to chime in and add to the protesting!:eek: :eek: :eek:

The MC (Ira) had an interesting comment on devaluation of MVCI weeks for points trade. The OP essentially asked what Marriott's response to this devaluation was. Ira's response was, "We are still communicating with MVCI on this issue. I will post something when I have something concrete."

I'm not holding my breath here, but I interpret this response as at least Marriott is considering a possible adjustment to the exchange rate, or is aware of the dissatisfaction of MVCI members over the devaluation.

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just reviewed the comments posted there. I would say about 95% negative. Lots of MVCI owners complaining about their point devaluation but also lots of non TS owners who also do not like the changes. Let's see if they listen. Note to self: When you hear the words "Program Enhancements" be prepared to get sc*****

LilMsFoodie

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a decline in the value of almost everything right now, no reason that the points from Marriott should not participate in this decline. Real estate is plummeting, time shares are as well. The stock market, the bond market, the commodity markets are all plunging and people are worried about a reduction in points. These are rewards, not rights. I was surprised that it didn't happen sooner.

If you look at the level 8 rewards, several of the properties are small hotels in advantageous locations and have an abnormal number of reward stays: weekends in NYC and in South Beach come to mind.

Tony&Perry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disgusted 6 week MCVI owner

[Message deleted. Duplicate posts are not permitted on the BBS. Dave M, BBS Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Unhappy with changes in Marriott Rewards

I have taken the weekend off to stay in Marble Falls, Texas, to celebrate my wife's birthday. The last time we were here we stayed at the Marriott Horseshoe Bay Resort and used our Marriott Rewards Visa. We are are currently at the Hampton Inn on the Lake in Marble Falls and using our Hilton Honors AmEx.

Hilton has actually increased the value of HGVC points. Two years ago the conversion from HGVC to HHonors was 23 to 1. The current conversion rate is 25 to 1. This means that if you want to stay at a Hilton Hotel Resort you HGVC membership is even more valuable. So, while Marriott has devalued their membership, Hilton has actually increased the value of membership. The main problem with Hilton is that the choice of locations is limited in comparison to Marriott. Then again, we have enjoyed the partnership with Grand Mayan and Club Intrawest that have greatly expanded our options.

It would therefore seem that there may be a logic for Zac to sell her MMC since she will no longer be using her points and pick up a Hilton resale from a reputable dealer like Seth Nock.

rockedge

TUG Member
Reaction score
When looking at the program it seems to me they are forcing us to use lesser quality hotels. If you look at the point values for the 5 nights categories 1 thru 4 are actually better than the old program but 5-8 are worse. So they are saying yeah you can get lodging but not at the same quality as your timeshare. It would seem to me that the fair thing to do would be to increase the point value for trading in your timeshare to equivalent lodging. They are all worse if you want to stay less than 5 days unfortunately, for the weekend set etc.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to the thread that discusses Marriott's 2009 Program Changes. I received an email about it earlier. It appears that Ed French, Sr. Vice President of Marriott, created the thread.

You will need to log in to your Marriott.com account. Then click on "Welcome to our 2009 Program Changes forum!"

Terry

I posted my frustration. It was the first time using that forum, it is a little differnt than TUG. So it shows before Ed French's. Whoops..

Tony&Perry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Simple solution for Marriott

They can solve the problem by increasing the points they give for time share conversion each year so we can still take the Marriott hotel vacations
that is one of the major selling promotions for the time shares.
My fear is that new buyers will be offered much better promotions to maintain sales (especially in this economic climate) and the previous owners will be left being royally screwed.
Time share sales had a bad reputation in the past which Marriott sought to rectify by using their Christian moral standards as a promotion. I guess Judas was at the back of the sales room.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Time share sales had a bad reputation in the past which Marriott sought to rectify by using their Christian moral standards as a promotion. I guess Judas was at the back of the sales room.

I agree that the new program devalues the points program and points obtained by Marriott timeshare owners.

But your statement above is not fair and inappropriate on this board. Marriott never used "Christian moral standards" as a promotion. I've attended numerous Marriott timeshare presentations since the early 90's and I've never heard that claim. Marriott is in the hospitality business and has shareholders, along with numerous other factors to consider.

Multiple posts on are not allowed on this forum.

Last edited:

kjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me start by saying that any devaluation of MR points is a lousy deal for Marriott TS owners and has the appearance of deliberate dishonesty on the part of sales staff. Obviously, there are way too many horror stories given here to think otherwise.

Having said that, it appears to me that the basic reward structure is still intact and that it is still a game of how to best use your points. For example, when you research an area to stay you often find that there are Marriott products that do not require a lot more MRPs. It's just that they may be a lower end products like Fairfield, Courtyard or Spring Hill Suites rather than JW, Marriott Hotels or Residence Inn.

In the end I am sure that TUGGERS will share many creative ideas in dealing with the new MRP system. I suggest that we move on and let this "latest announcement" have its affect upon future MVCI sales. I was told that one of the biggest sources of new buyers are current owners. The MRP devaluation really makes owners want to buy another MVCI TS, doesn't it?

Last edited:

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really don't like that it now costs more points for a hotel stay. I also really don't like that it costs me more for gas and food in the grocery store. I think we should expect that the cost of hotel stays in terms of points will change more than once in the future as prices go up.

That said, the fact that they set up a forum and are asking our opinions means that this issue is not finished. If they ask for feedback, they are still thinking about or finalizing some outstanding issues. I would bet that they are still considering changing the amount of points given to an owner to trade a unit. If they increase that amount, things would be looking much better to owners. My salesperson did tell me that the average Marriott owner owns 4 weeks and is the biggest source of sales.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously the value now is in 5 night stays.

I'm most interested in categories 5-7. Even though they will cost more points than a current 5 night stay, it's a single digit % increase. Considering how long it's been since Marriott increased the points requirements, that is a reasonable increase. I can live with that. I'll just plan reward redemptions for 5 or 10 nights, instead of the 7 night packages.

The percentage increase in points for a five night stay is:

category 5= 5.3% (95K to 100K)
category 6= 9.1% (110K to 120K)
category 7=7.7% (130K to 140K)
category 8= 23.1% (130K to 160K)

Then points required for a 5 night category 2, 3 or 4 stay have actually gone down.

tompk

TUG Member
Reaction score
LAX Mom, the 5 night strategy does indeed make the new structure tolerable. Now if they just didn't charge that premium for the air miles in the 5 night packages.

stopgowalkon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is all this further evidence why it's best to buy a Marriott TS on the resale market? Forget about the points benefit, save the cash, and use for a hotel later if need be.

Latravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
No of course not. There is still a significant value in points as LAX Mom is showing. It appears the best deal is in the 5 night stay.