• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Marriott] weeks vs points

Jrbone

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My family is interested to buy a Marriott timeshare. We own Worldmark timeshare and are new to Marriott's system.
Can someone advice what are more beneficial to buy: Marriott week or Marriott destination points?
Most of the time we travel by weeks, but it will be great to have a flexibility to add some nights to a week stay.
Resale for points are pretty expensive due to beneficial interests. And how many points do we need for example for a 2 Bedroom week at Marriott Ko Olina on high season?

Thank you,
Yulika

[Thread moved to Marriott forum.] <-- SueDonJ

Last edited by a moderator:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Resale weeks are the easiest entry into the Marriott world (other than renting, of course) and certainly the cheapest. Points are expensive, both for initial outlay and for maintenance fees, but have a ton of flexibility and great value if you use them properly. I have both, for what it's worth.

A 2BR at Ko Olina in summer is about 4,600 for mountain view and 5,600 for ocean view.

aandmrun

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still prefer weeks, but that is because we always use up the whole week when we vacation. I find that using our whole week or splitting it and trading part of it works best for us. We can get two full weeks with our two bedroom lock-off when we split it. If we decide to invite someone to vacation with us, we use the whole unit.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My family is interested to buy a Marriott timeshare. We own Worldmark timeshare and are new to Marriott's system.
Can someone advice what are more beneficial to buy: Marriott week or Marriott destination points?
Most of the time we travel by weeks, but it will be great to have a flexibility to add some nights to a week stay.
Resale for points are pretty expensive due to beneficial interests. And how many points do we need for example for a 2 Bedroom week at Marriott Ko Olina on high season?

Thank you,
Yulika

[Thread moved to Marriott forum.] <-- SueDonJ
Just spend time learning the ins and outs, like 4-6 months, before making any decisions to purchase and if you decide to proceed it's almost always best to go resale in one way or another. Having the points option is nice but comes at a high price. How much more volume do you need on a yearly basis and where are you interested in going routinely (you mentioned Oahu)?

K Cain

Reaction score
Weeks rule and points drool...
I love this. I'm going to start using it. :D
I still prefer weeks, but that is because we always use up the whole week when we vacation. I find that using our whole week or splitting it and trading part of it works best for us. We can get two full weeks with our two bedroom lock-off when we split it. If we decide to invite someone to vacation with us, we use the whole unit.
I've had great luck with trading in my weeks on II. If you're Gold or Platinum with II, you can split the week into a "short stay" for the same fee of exchange, I think. anyhoo, you can get almost two weeks for one week, especially if you have a lock off and already get two weeks, and pay an upgrade fee for a two bedroom, if you're trading into a two bedroom. I use my lock off units for short stays. I was able to maximize my trading with my "crappy" bronze weeks ("crappy" is sales weasel talk, we've gone in for "updates" and they always hone in on the "crappy weeks", and I always think they are of value for me.) For some strange reason, the sales weasels want me to "gift" my bronze weeks back. :rolleyes: They will leave possession pried from my cold, dead, hands. I have both points and weeks, and l love the flexibility of the points and the trading power of my weeks. So both systems are win-win. I purchased resale and don't regret the purchase one bit. My parents and siblings prefer coming with us on Vacation, and love Marriott properties. I don't mind spoiling them.

Jrbone

Reaction score
Just spend time learning the ins and outs, like 4-6 months, before making any decisions to purchase and if you decide to proceed it's almost always best to go resale in one way or another. Having the points option is nice but comes at a high price. How much more volume do you need on a yearly basis and where are you interested in going routinely (you mentioned Oahu)?

We rented Marriott Ko Olina couple times and love that property. Since my kids started homeschooling last year, we are open to explore new places. That's why we would like to get in to Marriott system in order to have my more choices for travel at reasonable price.
We have learned a lot from this site already, very thankful for all of you who share your experience and tips!!!!

Jrbone

Reaction score
Resale weeks are the easiest entry into the Marriott world (other than renting, of course) and certainly the cheapest. Points are expensive, both for initial outlay and for maintenance fees, but have a ton of flexibility and great value if you use them properly. I have both, for what it's worth.

A 2BR at Ko Olina in summer is about 4,600 for mountain view and 5,600 for ocean view.
Thank you, I appreciate your response.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented Marriott Ko Olina couple times and love that property. Since my kids started homeschooling last year, we are open to explore new places. That's why we would like to get in to Marriott system in order to have my more choices for travel at reasonable price.
We have learned a lot from this site already, very thankful for all of you who share your experience and tips!!!!
Your cheapest option, and likely the best since you can be flexible, is to buy cheap but good trading weeks and forego the points option for now. But if you spend sufficient time you'll be able to know what will truly work best for you.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I love this. I'm going to start using it. :D
The quote comes from the movie Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. At least some form of it anyway.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The quote comes from the movie Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. At least some form of it anyway.
My younger sister was absolutely obsessed with this movie and I even read what you wrote in Sally Field's voice all these years later.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Note: Those Ko Olina points will cost you about 40,000-50,000 to acquire, and 2,750-3,500 a year in MF.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is truly a rough one to answer. It really depends on your needs. We love MarriottVacationClub and always enjoy their resorts and normally use weeks 95 percent of the time.

Airboss

Reaction score
You may consider getting both; we usually turn our weeks into points. One advantage e.g.: in low peak seasons you get easily up to 2 weeks for one, because Marriott is asking significantly less points for one week compared to x-mas-, easter- or any other holiday-week. (Unfortunately, it also works the other way round...)

See the Ko Olina excerpt down below, for example....

Attachments

• Ko Olina.png
    Ko Olina.png
    283 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:

Jrbone

Reaction score
You may consider getting both; we usually turn our weeks into points. One advantage e.g.: in low peak seasons you get easily up to 2 weeks for one, because Marriott is asking significantly less points for one week compared to x-mas-, easter- or any other holiday-week. (Unfortunately, it also works the other way round...)

See the Ko Olina excerpt down below, for example....
Thank you for the helpful chart. Yea, we are coming to a conclusion, that's it's good to have both, week and ponts.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd start with a resale week, learn the system, and then decide is some points might make sense. Resale points are nowhere near as expensive as developer points of course, even with the junk fees. I wouldn't consider points exclusively in general. However, they do add flexibility in many ways, including adding on weekdays to your week stay, less than a week stays, access to some Ritz properties, and more. We own both and use both. But to optimize that, takes a bit to learn the ins and outs.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd start with a resale week, learn the system, and then decide is some points might make sense. Resale points are nowhere near as expensive as developer points of course, even with the junk fees. I wouldn't consider points exclusively in general. However, they do add flexibility in many ways, including adding on weekdays to your week stay, less than a week stays, access to some Ritz properties, and more. We own both and use both. But to optimize that, takes a bit to learn the ins and outs.
I would not jump in with both and it makes the most sense to start with a week. If one is thinking both it might alter my thoughts on the best type of week and resort to buy. The best crossover of the traditional exchange options is LV Platinum but one might be able to get a higher end resort for around the same cost right now, maybe Desert Platinum of OP Gold or Platinum. But if there' a resort they'll use even part of the time that is often the best choice going in. Of course every situation is different. I'd buy one and give it 12-24 months to see how it goes then rethink the plan.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would not jump in with both and it makes the most sense to start with a week. If one is thinking both it might alter my thoughts on the best type of week and resort to buy. The best crossover of the traditional exchange options is LV Platinum but one might be able to get a higher end resort for around the same cost right now, maybe Desert Platinum of OP Gold or Platinum. But if there' a resort they'll use even part of the time that is often the best choice going in. Of course every situation is different. I'd buy one and give it 12-24 months to see how it goes then rethink the plan.

You replied to me, but I assume comments were directed at OP. I of course agree with what you said, it was another of putting what I just said, perhaps in a more clear manner. Definitely week to start, learn, then consider points if it turns out there might be a benefit.

ahdah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's SurfWatch Brewster Green Marriott's SurfWatch
If choosing a week, select the resort that you would be happy to go to, in the season you would like to vacation, If it is a high season, you will be able to trade with II or you can rent and then use the money to travel where you would like to go, That way you will be happy if you don't get your trade. With a platinum, we were always able to trade where we wanted to go. Good luck.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You replied to me, but I assume comments were directed at OP. I of course agree with what you said, it was another of putting what I just said, perhaps in a more clear manner. Definitely week to start, learn, then consider points if it turns out there might be a benefit.
Sorry Steve, I was agreeing with you but being more specific about the details which is why I replied to you.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry Steve, I was agreeing with you but being more specific about the details which is why I replied to you.

No need to be sorry, I find myself grumpy this week, no clue why, just came back from a fun trip! Tis I who is sorry.

Last edited:

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP may want to start with an EOY week at Ko Olina. I agree with both Steve and Dean but an EOY will cost less. Like dipping one's toes in the water. Although Ko Olina is beautiful, it's a drive to town and not everyone's cup of tea. Suzanne.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Although Ko Olina is beautiful, it's a drive to town
Which is why we love it so much! We feel far from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, even though it's only 20-25 miles away. Not too bad of a drive...unless it's rush hour.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Thank you for the helpful chart. Yea, we are coming to a conclusion, that's it's good to have both, week and ponts.

There are a couple of ways to achieve that.

Method 1: Buy resale week, and then at some point during your stays attend a developer presentation and you will be offered to buy points. When you refuse, they will sweeten the offer and offer to enroll your week in the DC club if you buy points. Then you will have the points you buy, and the resale week you bought that will also be enrolled in the points system. This is expensive, but will give you the most flexibility.

Method 2: Buy resale week at a place you want to visit and/or that has good rental value. Then buy resale points. This is more cost effective. The most cost effective would be to buy just 1000 resale points and then rent more points from others as you need them. The rental cost of points is not much more than the maintenance fees for points so the upfront cost for anything more than 1000 points is just payment for convenience of avoiding having to rent points from others when you need them and slightly more flexibility you have with points you own (you can bank them or rent to others, which you cannot do with points you yourself rented from others)

It's possible to start with "Method 2" and then "upgrade" to "Method 1" later on if you desire more points and more flexibility down the road.

Last edited:

Jrbone

Reaction score
There are a couple of ways to achieve that.

Method 1: Buy resale week, at some point during your stays attend a developer presentation and you will be offered to buy points. When you refuse, they will sweeten the offer and offer to enroll your week in the DC club if you buy points. Then you will have the points you buy, and the resale week you bought that will also be enrolled in the points system. This is expensive, but will give you the most flexibility.

Method 2: Buy resale week at a place you want to visit and/or that has good rental value. Then buy resale points. This is more cost effective. The most cost effective would be to buy just 1000 resale points and then rent more points from others as you need them. The rental cost of points is not much more than the maintenance fees for points so the upfront cost for anything more than 1000 points is just payment for convenience of avoiding having to rent points from others when you need them and slightly more flexibility you have with points you own (you can bank them or rent to others, which you cannot do with points you yourself rented from others)

It's possible to start with "Method 2" and then "upgrade" to "Method 1" later on if you desire more points and more flexibility down the road.
Thank you for such useful and helpful information!